• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do YOU want the next OT title to be?

• YEEEEEEEEEEEEHAW!

Votes: 159 42.0%
  • Got A Light?

Votes: 9 2.4%
  • Shep Shep Is Gonna Ship Ship?

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • Good Game, Player!

Votes: 9 2.4%
  • We're Going From Four Shitters To Two!

Votes: 14 3.7%
  • Those Dogs Was Fuckin'

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • It's A Lockdown, Baby

Votes: 175 46.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doom Eternal's winning Most Disappointing.
Did Jeff dissolve Most Disappointing ahead of time knowing that Doom Eternal would win it?
200.jpg

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
From the initial reveal it seemed like they were leaning heavier into stylish action territory with Doom Eternal and as someone who is not a fan of those games, that was a turn off. The impressions on the Bombcast only sort of reinforced that for me. Brad talking about "combat puzzles" where you hate to take out enemies in a very quick, sequential fashion just does nothing for me.

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
hhmmmmm nah
it's tone is bad and its writing which it leans heavily in to is also bad
its pace during the combat is relentless and exhausting due to combat encounters that are too long over levels that are way too long
it has perhaps too many upgrade things that are just a bit like, eh wishy washy
like i dont care about the suit upgrades?

the best thing is the music and the tech stuff
You're 100% right. It's a solid 6/7 outta 10.

I really, REALLY want to know what they think of
DOOM Guy speaking though.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
the idea of classic fps's being akin to character action games isn't a new one (i remember a couple prominent doom mods that leaned heavily into that, like demonsteele), so i'm not opposed to it, but i think a better approach would have been to just better balance the weapons and expand on doom 2016 rather than what they did with eternal.

their "solution" to the not-very-big problem of 2016 weapons being underused and the chainsaw crutch being optional if you were good at the game was to make ammo counts pitifully small to force weapon switching and chainsawing (which also means the chainsaw has to regenerate and they have to constantly spawn in adds in the form of weak zombies for farming), they had to add in additional "chainsaw" like mechanics with the flame belch and upgrades like the "barrels give ammo" and "frozen enemies drop health," and they added in the weakpoints where it just feels like there's one or two "correct" ways to fight certain enemies. it's not hard (it's blasphemy but I chose to play on HMP because of people's impressions, and only the more annoying bosses have cost me lives outside of a few fights), but a lot of fights feel like i'm checking off a list. okay, revenant/arachno/mancubus, time to snipe or grenade their glowing cannon bits. cacodemon, time to grenade them. a blue shield is out, plasma it. a marauder is spawned, exit to desktop.

blue number go down, use glory kill or bloodpunch or grenade. ammo number go down, hit c on a zombie or imp (if i don't mistake a prowler for it because they look the same). armor number go down, hit r or use flaming hook (which is maybe the biggest saving grace for me because of how fun it is). if numbers go down and my MMO ability bar of cooldowns (that i had to amplify the size of to max and constantly glance at) isn't finished, then dash away (if that cooldown is finished) into the corners of them medium-sized square arena with jump pads and little tunnels of pickups. and number go up. the numbers are going up!! in so many encounters it feels like i'm playing an action rpg and watching my health and mana bars fluctuate.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
hhmmmmm nah
it's tone is bad and its writing which it leans heavily in to is also bad
its pace during the combat is relentless and exhausting due to combat encounters that are too long over levels that are way too long
it has perhaps too many upgrade things that are just a bit like, eh wishy washy
like i dont care about the suit upgrades?

the best thing is the music and the tech stuff

Eh, I'll give you the writing and upgrade stuff, but I feel a big part of some people bouncing off it is definitely just that it's harder and more complex. I've noticed that generally people who are more into more character action type stuff do seem to dig it.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
worse yet - the game will be almost completely forgotten come goty, with no nominations or discussion outside of the day 1 talk about how disappointing it was.

this is the giant bomb way

What's also the Giant Bomb way was if iD straight up made Doom Eternal like Doom 2016 "it will be just another one of those" or "It's fine, more Doom"

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
What's also the Giant Bomb way was if iD straight up made Doom Eternal like Doom 2016 "it will be just another one of those" or "It's fine, more Doom"

it's true!

sequels don't get a lot of love from giant bomb in general

unless it's the freshest annual franchise in all of video games, call of mutha fuckin duty

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
why is it only the rip and tear, you have huge guts panel of that comic that gets referenced

why not the very next panels where doomguy shouts "here comes the night train" and "choo choo cha, BOOGIE" and the part where his last punch does nothing because "rip and tear" was a temporary insanity thing from a berserk pack that wore off and made him look stupid so he had to run away

why no "wuzzat? wuzzat?" or "hoy hoy, I'm the boy!" or heartfelt speeches about radioactive waste

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the idea of classic fps's being akin to character action games isn't a new one (i remember a couple prominent doom mods that leaned heavily into that, like demonsteele), so i'm not opposed to it, but i think a better approach would have been to just better balance the weapons and expand on doom 2016 rather than what they did with eternal.

their "solution" to the not-very-big problem of 2016 weapons being underused and the chainsaw crutch being optional if you were good at the game was to make ammo counts pitifully small to force weapon switching and chainsawing (which also means the chainsaw has to regenerate and they have to constantly spawn in adds in the form of weak zombies for farming), they had to add in additional "chainsaw" like mechanics with the flame belch and upgrades like the "barrels give ammo" and "frozen enemies drop health," and they added in the weakpoints where it just feels like there's one or two "correct" ways to fight certain enemies. it's not hard (it's blasphemy but I chose to play on HMP because of people's impressions, and only the more annoying bosses have cost me lives outside of a few fights), but a lot of fights feel like i'm checking off a list. okay, revenant/arachno/mancubus, time to snipe or grenade their glowing cannon bits. cacodemon, time to grenade them. a blue shield is out, plasma it. a marauder is spawned, exit to desktop.

blue number go down, use glory kill or bloodpunch or grenade. ammo number go down, hit c on a zombie or imp (if i don't mistake a prowler for it because they look the same). armor number go down, hit r or use flaming hook (which is maybe the biggest saving grace for me because of how fun it is). if numbers go down and my MMO ability bar of cooldowns (that i had to amplify the size of to max and constantly glance at) isn't finished, then dash away (if that cooldown is finished) into the corners of them medium-sized square arena with jump pads and little tunnels of pickups. and number go up. the numbers are going up!! in so many encounters it feels like i'm playing an action rpg and watching my health and mana bars fluctuate.
Yeah, it's not particularly elegant to me. They just made it feel more mechanical with these changes. They could have achieved their goal of encouraging weapon switching with the enemy design alone without having to resort to the ammo count and all of those other mechanics. There are just too many situations where I'm looking around desperately for something to glory kill or chainsaw but there isn't anything, so I end up running in circles. So elegant. Also, glory killing becomes a worse and worse mechanic the more powerful you get because you end up having to be careful not to kill things to quick, which sucks.

DOOM 2016 was a solid power fantasy, which fits perfectly with the game's tone and aesthetic. In this game I feel more like someone struggling desperately and only barely overcoming the odds, even when the fight went smoothly. I'm still enjoying it, when it all clicks it can feel pretty good. But when things get hectic a lot of the time I'm just panic smashing my cooldowns. The game is so feast or famine. You're doing great or you're stuck in a corner with few resources and there's nothing to do.

I'm still digging it, but I'm ready to finish it soonish I think. I'm about to pass the point of no return, which I think means like 3 or 4 more levels, lol. But even when I'm enjoying it, after the fact it kind of all is a mush in my mind.

May 30, 2018
dang, my best friend who's a doctor volunteered to be on a covid care team starting in april. kinda legit feels like hero stuff these days

Oct 25, 2017
The only good Borderlands is Tales from the Borderlands.

Tales from the Borderlands might be the worst Telltale game post-TWD revival.

That or Game of Thrones.

Borderlands was fun for its day, but I played through all of Borderlands 2 solo a few months back and TBH, they could stop making these and I'd never miss them. I didn't bother with Borderlands 3 and can't imagine ever playing it even if it were free.

Also, Tiny Tina is the worst character any video game company has ever created.

Oct 27, 2017
Been looking at what it would reasonably take me to play Alyx. I got a 1070 and a i7 3770k, and find that it might be worth it to get the Vive Pro and pair the Index controllers with it or something

but i've never played VR so I dont even know if i'll like it :(

Oct 25, 2017

They basically made the combat more complex but not significantly deeper or more interesting to engage with. Like you said I figured out the most efficient way of dealing with things and basically was never forced to deviate because the game goes out of its way to actually reward that type of rigid play. And Doom Slayer talks and bows and participates in the plot an shit.

Doom Eternal gets a Lame/5

Oct 25, 2017
Been looking at what it would reasonably take me to play Alyx. I got a 1070 and a i7 3770k, and find that it might be worth it to get the Vive Pro and pair the Index controllers with it or something

but i've never played VR so I dont even know if i'll like it :(
Bruh you going all the way to a Vive Pro? Cop one of the WMR headsets so at least you're not hitting the wallet that hard to start off with

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i dont believe this i went to sleep and they immediately dropped a direct mini (which is still half an hour long) as if to taunt me

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
ah fuck im getting the xenoblade remastered thing arent i fuck

god damnit nintendo