• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do YOU want the next OT title to be?

• YEEEEEEEEEEEEHAW!

Votes: 159 42.0%
  • Got A Light?

Votes: 9 2.4%
  • Shep Shep Is Gonna Ship Ship?

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • Good Game, Player!

Votes: 9 2.4%
  • We're Going From Four Shitters To Two!

Votes: 14 3.7%
  • Those Dogs Was Fuckin'

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • It's A Lockdown, Baby

Votes: 175 46.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 27, 2017
My partner has been running an RPG game for the last year or so and tomorrow we're doing the last game before I take over for a stretch and I plan on doing a cool thing where near the end of the game I take over and transitioning everyone to the next thing. My partner knows but the other two don't so I'm hoping it'll be a fun surprise.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
I was looking forward to the VODs of the Khronos Vulkan sessions at GDC, as usual, but I guess they'll probably pop-up in some other context.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Are you controlling a character or is it some sort of blended rts?
Both. You start as a single character (or group, depending on your starting scenario) and can gain members through random events, or lose them to death or starvation. Once you build a base it becomes an RTS of sorts, because you'll be worrying about gathering resources and expending them (moreso than just wandering, where food is the only consideration) to sustain and grow your base.

Chuck

Oct 25, 2017
I had a Phoenix down moment with Abby and GI Joe not being a singular character named that from the show.

Oct 25, 2017
Blended RTS I guess? It controls a bit like a CRPG.
Both. You start as a single character (or group, depending on your starting scenario) and can gain members through random events, or lose them to death or starvation. Once you build a base it becomes an RTS of sorts, because you'll be worrying about gathering resources and expending them (moreso than just wandering, where food is the only consideration) to sustain and grow your base.
Thanks folks
I had a Phoenix down moment with Abby and GI Joe not being a singular character named that from the show.
shame, shame, shame

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Blitzrules240 all I have left of pre-World Tier Division 2 is the last assault on the Capitol Building. I am adoring the game right now (it'd be a top 10 of last year if I was writing my list now) but once I hit endgame it could either hook me like a fish or I'll look at the gearscore crawl and go "naaah". No idea which way my brain will swing here.

Oh well, about 30 hours of good shlooting for like $6.50 wasn't bad at all.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
I flat out regret buying Dreams. It's...just not very good.
i'm having a lot of trouble seeing the use case for it

i know theres a community and there are a lot of great things that will be made, and people will make more and more tutorial content for the masses, but so far i just don't see why you'd wanna spend your time on it, i'd rather just go learn unity. maybe it will be like those video game making pc games from the 90s and the next spelunky will be made by someone growing up with it, i dunno

im sure vinny's video will be good but like he said, he took 30 hours to get through tutorial stuff and vinny seems like a generally patient and creative person

oh well anyway, was only like 30 bucks for early access

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
*Plays Lockdown music*
giphy.mp4

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I flat out regret buying Dreams. It's...just not very good.

I got a copy but because I'm in Snack World + PAX hell still, I haven't tried it yet

I wish it came out like 6 months ago when I was more hype for it but I'll play that single player and try to check in on what people make now and then, at least

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
all this G.I. Joe talk just reminds me of how fucking good The Toys That Made Us is

one of those documentary series that just does so many things right, and inevitably becomes a constant reference point after you watch it

Feb 12, 2019
I've been catching up with some of the Best Picture nominees, and I was genuinely surprised by how much I didn't like JoJo Rabbit after finally getting around to see it tonight. For a film that has the audacity of casting its director as wacky imaginary Adolf Hitler, it sure does struggle with balancing its tone between farcical and dead serious in a way I found really off-putting.

On the other hand, Once Upon A Time in Hollywood is a movie that is about pretty much nothing for approximately 75% of its 2 1/2 hour runtime and I kinda loved it. The last few minutes of that movie are Tarantino bonkers crazy in a way that had me cackling.

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019
I've been catching up with some of the Best Picture nominees, and I was genuinely surprised by how much I didn't like JoJo Rabbit after finally getting around to see it tonight. For a film that has the audacity of casting its director as wacky imaginary Adolf Hitler, it sure does struggle with balancing its tone between farcical and dead serious in a way I found really off-putting.

On the other hand, Once Upon A Time in Hollywood is a movie that is about pretty much nothing for approximately 75% of its 2 1/2 hour runtime and I kinda loved it. The last few minutes of that movie are Tarantino bonkers crazy in a way that had me cackling.
Hollywood was my third favorite movie last year behind John Wick 3 and Parasite. I havent watched Jojo yet. I loved that it was just a story following three people's lives that intertwined at the end. Its probably top 4 Tarantino for me

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017

The bigger issue with Jojo is that it's straight up unfunny most of the time.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
JoJo was one of my favorites of the year. I felt like they balanced all the emotions very well and hit almost the entire gamut.
The bigger issue with Jojo is that it's straight up unfunny most of the time.
That really isn't a problem in my mind.

Strax

Oct 28, 2017
JoJo Rabbit is a fantastic movie. Really funny and it's one of the best edited films in the last 5-10 years.

Sep 12, 2018
The further I get from watching it the more I think it's just a pretty bad movie. Far and away Taika's least funny I've seen and somehow less poignant than something like Hunt For the Wilderpeople with a completely toothless and soft approach to Nazism that feels right out of a broad 70s farce. Hell I'd go as far as saying Thor Ragnarok had more edge to it.

Completely agree on OUATIH though, I think it being such a laid-back hangout movie for most of its runtime is part of the point, it's about people living life not realizing the freight train that was headed their way. It's just a movie of amazing scene after amazing scene too that really sing on a second watch.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017

There actually was a character named Joe in the GI Joe comic, but not in the show.

Also G.I. Joe is a nickname for the generic U.S. soldier, but that's probably wildly before Abby's time.

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
JoJo was one of my favorites of the year. I felt like they balanced all the emotions very well and hit almost the entire gamut.

That really isn't a problem in my mind.

For a comedy?

The sincere stuff did hit but I was chronically hungover and a work mate had just killed himself so I think literally anything would've made me cry.

I think it had the same issue as most Holocaust related art has where any attempt to tug the emotions is so unnecessary as it's so horrific on its face and it doesn't really say anything as a result. If This Is A Man & Maus >>>>

Sep 12, 2018
That Jojo Rabbit is way more successful as a tearjerker than a comedy is a testament to how much easier it is to make audiences cry than laugh, especially in a holocaust movie.