• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do YOU want the next OT title to be?

• YEEEEEEEEEEEEHAW!

Votes: 159 42.0%
  • Got A Light?

Votes: 9 2.4%
  • Shep Shep Is Gonna Ship Ship?

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • Good Game, Player!

Votes: 9 2.4%
  • We're Going From Four Shitters To Two!

Votes: 14 3.7%
  • Those Dogs Was Fuckin'

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • It's A Lockdown, Baby

Votes: 175 46.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
shit ive watched 0% of giant bomb since the virus started affecting them

this best of is very much appreciated rn

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Watching other people play games got boring to me. I also only consume Giant Bomb through best ofs now.

I've put in a solid 100 hours into Modern Warfare while listening to podcasts. That's a good time.

PC90

Enlightened
Oct 25, 2017
Germany
happy to confirm RE3make is indeed good

and dealing with Nemesis is just fine, a single grenade takes him down

Oct 25, 2017
ADFDAB0-D-66-F1-4654-B6-AE-2-C724100162-B.png
The famed singer-songwriter of the classic flagpole sitta?

Deleted member 10234

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I did the seated forward press move in Ring Fit Adventure and the ring slipped backwards on the floor and hit my balls

PC90

Enlightened
Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Which difficulty? I'm looking forward to playing it but want Nemesis to be as much of a non-factor as possible.
I'm on Standard difficulty. Honestly I expected him to be a lot worse after listening to the beastcast, but I think it's because they're running away instead of fighting. When you get him down on his knees you can lose him easily.

Blitzrules240

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Probably not the best time to be playing Prototype 2 but running up walls, flying, and causing chaos is a mood right about now.

Oct 25, 2017
I have finished Black Mesa.
If it wasn't for 75% of Interloper this would be perfect remake.

Still, one extremely dull chapter shouldn't nullify all the other work that went into this, so overall this is still an extremely impressive game and also goes to show how well Half Life 1 has aged. I'm almost tempted to replay Half Life 1 now to see how many things were actually changed in Black Mesa because aside from some extremely minor ones (like getting the crowbar later, some experiments in Questionable Ethics and the Vortigaunt models) I couldn't really tell you the difference.
Interloper is a bad chapter and should you play the game I wholeheartedly recommend using cheats if you feel the life being drained from you by another giant room in a brown and red factory that seems to solely produce exploding barrels and conveyor belts.

Probably not the best time to be playing Prototype 2 but running up walls, flying, and causing chaos is a mood right about now.
What are your thoughts on computers?

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
Interloper is by far the most abrasive chapter in Half Life 1 originally so I'm not surprised (though a little disappointed) to hear Black Mesa wasn't able to clean it up, though from what I've seen it stayed incredibly faithful to nearly the entire level design structure of the rest of HL1.

I finally played through Half Life 1 in its entirety just the past week (had played the beginning several times over the years and consoled to Xen when I was younger but never played it in full). I actually did it in one sitting. Just sat down and thought out of the blue I should actually play Half Life through and knocked it out in an 8 hour session. Actually expected it to be longer but wasn't complaining. I remember saying to myself somewhere right around when the military first show up just how genuinely amazing it was. It truly is a great horror shooter in those early parts. The feeling of actually exploring and moving through a space is palpable in ways most shooters have still long struggled with and its amazing to see how god damn quality Half Life 1 is. It starts to drag a bit with On a Rail and a bit after Surface Tension starts to wind down in intensity (and again one final time it drags hard with Interloper) but that first third all the way up to On a Rail is genuinely some of the best FPS campaign I've ever played. Really glad I sat down and played through it.

Oct 25, 2017
Interloper is by far the most abrasive chapter in Half Life 1 originally so I'm not surprised (though a little disappointed) to hear Black Mesa wasn't able to clean it up, though from what I've seen it stayed incredibly faithful to nearly the entire level design structure of the rest of HL1.

I finally played through Half Life 1 in its entirety just the past week (had played the beginning several times over the years and consoled to Xen when I was younger but never played it in full). I actually did it in one sitting. Just sat down and thought out of the blue I should actually play Half Life through and knocked it out in an 8 hour session. Actually expected it to be longer but wasn't complaining. I remember saying to myself somewhere right around when the military first show up just how genuinely amazing it was. It truly is a great horror shooter in those early parts. The feeling of actually exploring and moving through a space is palpable in ways most shooters have still long struggled with and its amazing to see how god damn quality Half Life 1 is. It starts to drag a bit with On a Rail and a bit after Surface Tension starts to wind down in intensity (and again one final time it drags hard with Interloper) but that first third all the way up to On a Rail is genuinely some of the best FPS campaign I've ever played. Really glad I sat down and played through it.
It's been a dark journey but I've slowly come around to the opinion that Half Life is better than Half Life 2

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
It's been a dark journey but I've slowly come around to the opinion that Half Life is better than Half Life 2

I've never been one to straight adore Half Life 2. Halo was always more my jam and it having such a satisfying shootbang time and AI interplay has been key since Half Life 2 struggles in those respects. Half Life 2 also drags early with the boat section which does it no favors. I think Half Life 1 succeeds more because it focuses on that early exploration (and escape) from a space rather than the more sprawling fleeting journey that its sequel goes for and that navigation and intimacy is part of what hit me really hard playing Half Life 1 truly for the first time just a week ago.

I actually think I'll replay Half Life 2 because of this comment and such. It's been a long time and I wonder how I will feel about it though I would think my opinion hasn't changed much.

Oct 25, 2017
nterloper is by far the most abrasive chapter in Half Life 1 originally so I'm not surprised (though a little disappointed) to hear Black Mesa wasn't able to clean it up, though from what I've seen it stayed incredibly faithful to nearly the entire level design structure of the rest of HL1.
Interloper was also maybe 20-30 minutes long, at least in my memory

Feb 12, 2019
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but to mainstream audiences (and the journosphere serving them) they didn't. XCOM and Divinity: Original Sin both moved mountains to change that.

XCOM in particular made turn-based combat a selling point. Simply being 'like XCOM' was enought to get a budget off the ground.

It really cannot be understated how much Firaxis has changed the gaming industry in the last decade, between Civ5 and XCOM: EU.
Don't forget Fire Emblem Awakening! But yeah, you're right, given that turn-based combat was very much something previously associated with slow, laborious JRPGs before people realized that having an abundance of options was a good thing.

Now the pendulum has swung so far in one direction that it feels like Real-Time with Pause is well on its way to irrelevance. Which would also bum me out.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
RANKING OF RADIOHEAD

1. In Rainbows
2. Kid A
3. A Moon Shaped Pool
4. OK Computer
5. Amnesiac
6. The Bends