• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do YOU want the next OT title to be?

• TOP, TOP, TOP!

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Alexis Alexander Navarro

Votes: 44 14.5%
  • Speaking Of Cum Stains, Shout Out To Our Seamen

Votes: 100 33.0%
  • The Andy Rooney Of Video Games

Votes: 28 9.2%
  • Got Caught Toobin'

Votes: 16 5.3%
  • Everyone Left Me Again

Votes: 111 36.6%
  • Hope You Like Some Worg Taint!

Votes: 3 1.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
What I'm going to miss the most about Ben is his Millennial takes and Jeff's response to them. Jan is going to have to represent us going forward.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
It was a pretty stark contrast when I started watching Dan's Twitch streams the past week or so as he played through Banjo Kazooize and I was very impressed with the volume and frequency of his streaming, not to mention how articulate he was in how he envisages his Twitch channel moving forward in the next few months.

Then again, Dan can do whatever he wants and doesn't have to answer to a company.
I'm fairly sure Jeff can do whatever he wants content-wise as long as the number stay in the green. They never made it seem like they were constrained creatively in any way. They moved their GOTY to the end of January and are just now talking about maybe needing to put some time into catching up on games they missed (apart from Vinny who did homework over the holidays). I highly doubt anyone is forcing anything on them except to keep engagement high.

I also agree with the comments above that as much as they seem to hate it the site needs a bit more transparency in what they are doing. Just recently when Will was leaving the site it sort of came out that the site re-design came about really quickly because some licensing on software was expiring and as such they had to build the whole thing over in a week or something like that. It would have been good to know that at the time especially since the site was a dumpster fire for several months after.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
Jan's "Everyone left me again" became prophetic.

I hope the best for Ben. But man, what a rough year for Giant Bomb. Losing three members without filling those gaps has reflected heavily on the overall lack of content. They just haven't adapted to WFH at all and I don't know how. I feel like quick looks in general were halved, and I have no idea how it took nine months to get UPF again. GotY was delayed for what reason again? To be honest, I like GotY in early January since you actually have some time to reflect but I have to think the audience hungry for that type of media wants it in December.

For GOTY they have been, and still are, in the middle of changing companies with technology changes and everything else coming to a new company entails. Also at the time normal GOTY happens several big games dropped and they wanted to give some time to play those.

I think with the quick looks its been a factor of maybe the game output this year wasn't that great (a combo of Covid and last full year of a generation) and until they started using Parsec they had a lot of problems with being able to do the QLs which also probably affected their normal features.

bakedpony

Oct 27, 2017
If it's time to hit the panic button then it's time to bring out the Jeff Vinny Persona 5 (Royal) playthrough (premium)

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
taking a sick day so maybe this would be a good time to catch up on content a bit... I have not watched a lot lately and I feel bad about being out of the loop on stuff

...honestly, a little dramatic for an offhand thought I'm having right now, but the more I think about it... feels kinda like I'm falling into some bad patterns again, where I just casually stop doing things I enjoy for no particular reason; that's beyond just this but this is an easy fix

so I'm thinking Rogue would be neat, maybe KOTOR - I still want to play through the latter one day as it's probably one of the few games I distinctly restarted several times growing up and never finished, but that's not going to happen anytime soon so I might as well watch and see how much I actually remember; I hope it's not enough that it feels too slow...

If it's time to hit the panic button then it's time to bring out the Jeff Vinny Persona 5 (Royal) playthrough (premium)

what if they played a good video game though

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Sad to see Ben leaving, I wish him the best. Hitting especially hard right after Abby left. I hope he maybe appears as a guest in the future to show us all his mastered Mahjong skills.
6f3Rzc4.gif
Lol, anyone have a video link with timestamp to this?

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
Still profoundly bummed by losing Ben and Abby. Especially after loving the Rogue segments. I really miss their "This is the Run" content.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I wonder if there was something recently that made Ben finally make the switch, it sounded a bit like "I want to be out of here as soon as possible"
:-(

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if there was something recently that made Ben finally make the switch, it sounded a bit like "I want to be out of here as soon as possible"
I'm sure he'll do a MinnMax interview with Ben Hanson in a few weeks (Hanson's been great at getting those). Part of me wonders if he just didn't like the public facing side of the job and another part of me wonders if its something he's learned about plans with the new owners. Given that he just started a new series, I wouldn't be surprised if it's something in the latter camp.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Has Jeff played more of FF7R? He would fucking love the ending of that game considering how much he loves game stories that show the middle finger to swats of fans lol.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
Going by what he said, it sounds like it was an accumulation of things over the years and he got to a point where he decided to call it.

Yasai

Dec 23, 2017
less offhand, I played 100+ hours of Persona 5 and think the late game combat and most of the writing throughout the game kinda suck

I do not think it would be fun to watch

After trying it for 15 hours I thought it was a suffocating garbage fire straight out of FOMO hell with really nice music and menus that's ultimately not worth anyone's time but I'd pay money to watch Jeff & Vinny go through the whole thing

JimD

Aug 17, 2018

I've worked for two subsidiary companies that got sold to a new parent company. That last year with the old company SUCKS because the rumors always get out there (and CBS actually publicly announced they would offload non-core brands). Everyone is scared about keeping their job, everyone is uncomfortable the uncertainty and change, and so everyone cleans up their resume and takes a good long looks about where they are and where they want to be.

Even in the absolute best circumstances people will leave during and shortly after a sale. When things are static and comfortable people tend not to look elsewhere. Shake that up and all the little things you may not like about your job come a lot more into focus. Especially if you're young and don't have kids or a mortgage. Younger employees are always the first to bounce, it's just the nature of every job these days.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
What I'm going to miss the most about Ben is his Millennial takes and Jeff's response to them. Jan is going to have to represent us going forward.
The upside to all this means they might bring in a Gen Z person in the future and Jeff will actually go into a coma when they say that their first ever console was a Wii and that they weren't born when he was at Gamespot

PC90

Enlightened
Oct 25, 2017
Germany
on the upside, Jeff and Jason can now freely move Sonic the Fighters at the place it belongs

right at the top, of course

ev0

Oct 25, 2017
I mean Brad also said that he was going to play it but then the pandemic started and he didn't have time so..

lol so the Resident Evil 6 quick look was on Infinite and Brad already disliked the game yet he put 15-20 hours into it so he could talk about it...
meanwhile modern Brad didnt have time for RE3..

DannyGlover

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Loved how Ben tried out new things with Abby and Jan: My First E3, that business improv podcast, Dating Games, and Jan Can Cook: Ben Appetit,

As mentioned above, he interacted well with Jeff as seen in the Aftershow. Also unappreciated is when he helped Jason a lot with production when Drew left but before Jan was hired.

cdr Jameson

Oct 27, 2017
Now I will never have a chance to call Ben and Jeff the 3AM boys at 3AM while being really high :-(

Last edited:

Lari

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Where is the Monster Hunter movie?
Google tells me it was released last december but it's nowhere to be found.

I feel i'm being gaslighted.

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
What? But we need Ben!

This will set back the fighting game ranking science for decades. Decades!

But seriously, what is going on? Is this about the money? Are the new owners cutting back and were offering only an offensively low income? Asking terrible overtime? As hard as it was to lose Patrick, Austin, Drew and Dan, their reasons for leaving and future plans could make me feel good about the situation, but the latest stuff is concerning. Are there not enough new subscribers? Not enough money? In my mind there some is some terrible "we ran the numbers" corp bullshit going on in the background that has no idea why the subscribers watch Giant Bomb.

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
People speculating about Ben should really listen to the end of the Bombcast and the whole of the aftershow, where he talks very candidly about his time at GB

Hindl

Oct 25, 2017
What? But we need Ben!

This will set back the fighting game ranking science for decades. Decades!

But seriously, what is going on? Is this about the money? Are the new owners cutting back and were offering only an offensively low income? Asking terrible overtime? As hard as it was to lose Patrick, Austin, Drew and Dan, their reasons for leaving and future plans could make me feel good about the situation, but the latest stuff is concerning. Are there not enough new subscribers? Not enough money? In my mind there some is some terrible "we ran the numbers" corp bullshit going on in the background that has no idea why the subscribers watch Giant Bomb.
GB is a company with static pay and the top positions filled. Any young talent will eventually leave to grow, it's inevitable. Jan will eventually leave too. As for Ben, he realized this isn't what he wanted to be doing the rest of his life and didn't like being so front facing and public

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, the amount of hate that was directed towards Ben and Abby, I wouldn't want to be in their shoes. People fucking suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.