• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do YOU want the next OT title to be?

• New Personal Best

Votes: 113 37.3%
  • White Castle Crystals

Votes: 100 33.0%
  • Dreamed And Directed By

Votes: 23 7.6%
  • How To End A Toxic Friendship

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • The Footlong Experience

Votes: 45 14.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
Eight people is too many for a stream or podcast. I hope the GOTY's are better this year but this stream is tempering my expectations.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
This is exactly as edgy as DmC.

Edit: I take it back, this probably won't have a weird demon abortion via rifle.

OP
OP
Death Metalist
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait ⇄ Leeds, England

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
my GOTY dream is that we reach the final day and gradually realize that they threw out the idea of doing the actual award and that really is the list they settled on during the last video

Oct 25, 2017
The thing is, Steam has been dominant for awhile, and is the central pillar of Valve's business. Releasing a digital storefront that matches it in terms of features and benefits just isn't easy; going from Valve to a competitor requires giving up on a massive network of users, all that user generated content, your preexisting games library, and a series of features that have been added over the course of years. It's an ecosystem that a lot of people have become pretty entrenched in.

So the idea that a new store, like Epic's, needs to be 1:1 with Steam in that sense in order to justify exclusives just isn't tenable. Not if the goal is to present a serious challenge to Valve, for which exclusives are an obvious and necessary arrow in the quiver. Of course, putting tender loving care into the store (moreso than U-Play and Origin have for theirs) is also such an arrow.

And so far, Epic has at least shown some vision with this. The developer stuff is very interesting, and has the potential to be a meaningful and positive change to the larger games ecosystem.

Basically: a lot of the logic against all this seems to basically jibe with Valve's dominance, and there are things happening with the Epic store that already make it seem more interesting than U-Play and Origin ever were. So...I guess we'll see?
I kinda fail to see what makes the Epic Store more interesting I guess. I mean, yeah, it's nice that the split is more in favor of the developers, but I honestly don't really care about that. Add to that that Steam gives you the option to sell a key on your own website giving you 100% of the revenue. I'll admit that I haven't really read up on the whole thing but what is Epic bringing to the table for me? What makes them interesting? Epic can't compete with Valve on features and doesn't want or can't compete on price so exclusives are really the only thing they have. Business-wise this makes total sense and I get why they do it. But that doesn't mean I have to like it. And that's where some of the criticism is coming from (Again, a lot of it is just dumb internet rage shit, not even gonna pretend that's not the case)

Quite honestly I don't care thaaaaat much because I personally don't care about most of Steam's features and I don't mind having yet another launcher installed, I'm just confused when people say stuff like "Valve needs to step up" when Valve is still ages ahead of every other store out there.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
i didnt even know this katamari release existed. i know what im playing all night tonight in between rounds of smash bros.

classic.

KingKong

Oct 27, 2017
I kinda fail to see what makes the Epic Store more interesting I guess. I mean, yeah, it's nice that the split is more in favor of the developers, but I honestly don't really care about that. Add to that that Steam gives you the option to sell a key on your own website giving you 100% of the revenue. I'll admit that I haven't really read up on the whole thing but what is Epic bringing to the table for me? What makes them interesting? Epic can't compete with Valve on features and doesn't want or can't compete on price so exclusives are really the only thing they have. Business-wise this makes total sense and I get why they do it. But that doesn't mean I have to like it. And that's where some of the criticism is coming from (Again, a lot of it is just dumb internet rage shit, not even gonna pretend that's not the case)

Quite honestly I don't care thaaaaat much because I personally don't care about most of Steam's features and I don't mind having yet another launcher installed, I'm just confused when people say stuff like "Valve needs to step up" when Valve is still ages ahead of every other store out there.

its just crazy to me that they've been working on the client for years but its clearly not ready to handle more than a dozen games because it doesnt have search or filtering or much else. also I'm not so sure about its curation or quality control when one of the few third party games out now is a Hello Neighbor spinoff

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
My favourite one shot fight scene is the one in Hard Boiled

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else try Mutant Year Zero? Don't really know what to make of it yet, but I'm liking the aesthetic and moment to moment gameplay.

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1bM0xRJ.png

A+ emoting 👍👍

Vinny is staring off into the distance
Dan looks Smug
Ben looks like he made a huge mistake
Abby is done with giant bomb

Oct 25, 2017
its just crazy to me that they've been working on the client for years but its clearly not ready to handle more than a dozen games because it doesnt have search or filtering or much else. also I'm not so sure about its curation or quality control when one of the few third party games out now is a Hello Neighbor spinoff
Like, yeah.
I'm all for competition but that competition actually needs to challenge Valve in some way other than "We have enough money to fund some stuff".
Steam actually has a lot of competition, more than any other leading gaming storefront out there and none of said competition has done anything except for "We have some games you can't get on Steam". The prices aren't lower, the features aren't better, the experience isn't better.
If Epic would have done anything to put pressure on Steam to, I dunno, have better moderation on their garbage tier forums it would have been a welcome addition.
But as it stands the Epic Store is just another store next to Gog, U-Play, Origin, the Windows store and the Bethesda launcher that doesn't do anything to push boundaries. And that's what would be interesting. Sure, maybe Epic will get there. But as long as they don't, Epic moneyhatting games away from a more feature rich storefront is a valid criticism.
And again, it's insane to me that people act like Valve is the one who needs to step it up when no other storefront offers an even slightly comparable set of features for free.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Also surprised Kiss Psycho Circus didn't pop up during the band game discussion

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Biggest purchase regrets of 2018: Fallout 76 and Just Cause 4. CDKeys discount included, still a waste of money. Well, maybe JC4 after patches will be alright.

I also bought Detroit for $30 but will probably never play it.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
People keep repeating how great completion in the PC marketplace is great... I agree on principal for sure but if end up with 10 clients that each have their own set of exclusive games then we're not better off.

Status
Not open for further replies.