• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do YOU want the next OT title to be?

• New Personal Best

Votes: 113 37.3%
  • White Castle Crystals

Votes: 100 33.0%
  • Dreamed And Directed By

Votes: 23 7.6%
  • How To End A Toxic Friendship

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • The Footlong Experience

Votes: 45 14.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
i like evangelion because even though its a little bit of a selfish work, i identify with the specific kind of working through depression and coming to grips with finding meaning and hope in what is ultimately kind of a grim life it presents. so its a selfish work i can put into the perspective of my own self

It's interesting you put it that way since I would say I came at Evangelion after having come to terms with the state of my depression, or rather grown much more "attuned" to it, I guess, since I had spent a lot of time in therapy and medication and such. So the "working through it" part of Eva fell flat for me but I've also said that I'm *extremely* picky with depression-as-subject-matter and Evangelion feels like it hits all the wrong notes for me. It's hard to describe.

Those are two different emotions. There's no correlation there at all.

Well I found Eva boring during its character moments, too, so morethinkingemoji.jpg

But I never found Automata annoying. I probably would have loved Automata had I not loved NieR as much as I did.

Deleted member 46641

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 12, 2018
If you want a highly influential piece of 90's cult manga/anime culture that I hate, there's always Bezerk.

Though criticising that series' shock value rape scenes and horrific treatment of women is like criticising Eminem for being homophobic - it's a fair criticism but also stans will get extremely aggro at people who call it out to the point where people just lie low and accept it.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
i like evangelion because even though its a little bit of a selfish work, i identify with the specific kind of working through depression and coming to grips with finding meaning and hope in what is ultimately kind of a grim life it presents. so its a selfish work i can put into the perspective of my own self

also i think its a kind of a decent representation of absurdism and the ideas of camus

I never thought of it that way but it fits pretty well.

Deleted member 10234

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All that matters is Alex Effect Mass anyway.
Damn right it is!

I'm now playing the Citadel DLC for the first time. It's pretty cool, but also feels like it's from an entirely different game tone-wise. I'd love a full game with that tone, but alas, they killed Mass Effect :(

Also some of the renegade stuff in ME3 is rough, like
Shepard just shooting Mordin in the back and having to kill Wrex. #NotMyShepard

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Damn right it is!

I'm now playing the Citadel DLC for the first time. It's pretty cool, but also feels like it's from an entirely different game tone-wise. I'd love a full game with that tone, but alas, they killed Mass Effect :(

Also some of the renegade stuff in ME3 is rough, like
Shepard just shooting Mordin in the back and having to kill Wrex. #NotMyShepard
There are probably people out there that love the space-nazi angle, but yeah... it is a bit tough sometimes.

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
If you want a highly influential piece of 90's cult manga/anime culture that I hate, there's always Bezerk.

Though criticising that series' shock value rape scenes and horrific treatment of women is like criticising Eminem for being homophobic - it's a fair criticism but also stans will get extremely aggro at people who call it out to the point where people just lie low and accept it.

That's actually been the main point keeping me from just jumping into Berserk (aside from just crippling depression keeping me from doing anything at all). Not a fan of just shock value for shock value's sake. I can see a *looot* of overlap between that and Goblin Slayer since I know a few friends who love both and I have read through a good bit of the threads that popped up around Goblin Slayer on this site.

Deleted member 46641

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
That's actually been the main point keeping me from just jumping into Berserk (aside from just crippling depression keeping me from doing anything at all). Not a fan of just shock value for shock value's sake. I can see a *looot* of overlap between that and Goblin Slayer since I know a few friends who love both and I have read through a good bit of the threads that popped up around Goblin Slayer on this site.
I've heard a few other rape survivors say Guts has meant a lot to them given what he went through and how he's still this strong badass in many ways.

Personally I think it's exploitative trash, but I feel like I need to acknowledge that side to give an honest discussion of rape in Berzerk.

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
What's Shinji and Kaworu's ship name called? There was a time when I knew it but it is long gone. Kanji? Shiworu? Kawoji?

Deleted member 46641

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
What's Shinji and Kaworu's ship name called? There was a time when I knew it but it is long gone. Kanji?
Oh my god that explains everything about Persona 4.

Side note - I don't get why people say Kanji Tatsumi is straight. He was interested in Naoto when he thought she was a guy, and after that.

Kanji and Shinji are both disaster bi.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god that explains everything about Persona 4.

Side note - I don't get why people say Kanji Tatsumi is straight. He was interested in Naoto when he thought she was a guy, and after that.

Because persona 4's writing fucking sucks that's why.

It's not kanji's fault though. He's a good boy who didn't deserve the treatment he got.

Deleted member 46641

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
Because persona 4's writing fucking sucks that's why.

It's not kanji's fault though. He's a good boy who didn't deserve the treatment he got.
Kanji is a good character given mostly bad narrative content in a similar way to Niko Bellic in Grand Theft Auto IV.

Subsequent retcons have made it much worse for him, with a weird mix of emphasising "no homo" but also adding yaoi fanservice.

Altus makes their games consistently worse narratively with their content additions to be brutally honest.

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
The fandom (aka waifu culture) around Persona 4 + me knowing the real killer in Persona 4 has kept me from playing it even though I bought it to play on PS3 (PS2 download).

Deleted member 46641

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
On a non-anime note - what game from next year would have the most damaging consequences if it flopped?

I bring this up because I saw Anthem got rated in Australia - so that game really is coming out when it says it is.

If that game flops, Bioware as a whole is beyond fucked. I hope for their sake it's a hit.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i have nothing to hold onto in this thread -- see you tomorrow

you can hold on to me
I copied a poem for you

I could give up all my life for just one kiss
I would surely die
If you dismiss me from your love
You take my breath away
So please don't go
Don't leave me here all by myself
I get ever so lonely from time to time
I will find you

-Queen

there has been a lack of content this week, but I'm sure we got loads to look towards

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Those who cannot withstand anime simply aren't strong enough to survive in this world.

I'm sorry but that's just how it is.

Teddified

Oct 25, 2017
can you imagine if rdr2 isn't in first place

Era will not survive.

'Jaded' won't cover the insults people use against Giant Bomb or Jeff.
the thread will just be a proxy war where people can tell others that their fav game sucks because brad or jeff said a thing about it, and it will go on till we all die in the cleansing fire.

Teddified

Oct 25, 2017
drew_scanlon.gif

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I like Persona 4 mainly because it captures a sense of place and time (and not like a time period, but more a 'personal time' - a lazy school year almost). The story I can take or leave, mostly leave.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the thread will just be a proxy war where people can tell others that their fav game sucks because brad or jeff said a thing about it, and it will go on till we all die in the cleansing fire.

GOTY has changed.

It's no longer about Consoles, PCs, or genres. It's an endless series of proxy scores, fought by reviewers and fanboys.

GOTY--and it's consumption of forums--has become a well-oiled machine.

GOTY has changed.

Score boasting users carry highly scored games, use metacritic scores. Fanboyisms inside their bodies enhance and regulate their arguments.

Game control, information control, emotion control, forum control…everything is monitored and kept under control.

GOTY…has changed.

The age of gaming has become the age of scores, all in the name of averting catastrophe from Game of the Year, and he who controls the forum, controls history.

GOTY…has changed.

When the forum is under total control, GOTY becomes routine.

gamers rise up

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
On a non-anime note - what game from next year would have the most damaging consequences if it flopped?

I bring this up because I saw Anthem got rated in Australia - so that game really is coming out when it says it is.

If that game flops, Bioware as a whole is beyond fucked. I hope for their sake it's a hit.

Commercially it's likely Anthem, hard to see BioWare going forward.

In terms of reception insanity KH3 or Shenmue 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.