• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do YOU want the next OT title to be?

• A Place To Put Your Unrequited Feelings

Votes: 87 29.1%
  • King of the Garbage Boys

Votes: 103 34.4%
  • I Thought Goku Might Be In There

Votes: 67 22.4%
  • They All Seem Good At Their Jobs

Votes: 21 7.0%
  • America's Sweetheart

Votes: 21 7.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Almost like the meme-ness of it being neigh-impenetrable is more and more exaggerated as time goes on.

As I see it, it basically is like most series where if there are too many entries there it just becomes mythical. (That being said it does have bonkers shit but whatever most stuff does when you look at it closely)

I get why people have some of the perception of it that they do, and I think there are some clear issues - the games being on so many different platforms make people dismiss them as spinoffs, the names (as much as I like them) make people think they're more ridiculous than they are, etc.

but it's getting a little annoying when like, yeah... it's mostly like, what, 6 games released over a decade? of course there's a lot that's happened across that, and compared to a lot of other series that are that long it's actually very easy (and very cheap, even!) now to catch up on it

and, yeah, of course the story is definitely wild to begin with, which again I find appealing, but when it works in context... what's the real issue?

that person doesn't know what they are talking about

thats fucking glorious because the games are taking all of that 100% seriously

oh yeah, that's the other thing

it being so earnest/sincere about all this shit is why it actually works

May 5, 2018

I'm sorry, but I was cracking up seeing those clips. I get that Kingdom Hearts is near and dear to many people (especially here at Era), but if feels like one of those "you had to play it at the moment of release" kind of deals in order to be into the lore. Otherwise seeing clips like this without any context just makes the series look silly.

Oct 25, 2017
I get why people have some of the perception of it that they do, and I think there are some clear issues - the games being on so many different platforms make people dismiss them as spinoffs, the names (as much as I like them) make people think they're more ridiculous than they are, etc.

but it's getting a little annoying when like, yeah... it's mostly like, what, 6 games released over a decade? of course there's a lot that's happened across that, and compared to a lot of other series that are that long it's actually very easy (and very cheap, even!) now to catch up on it

and, yeah, of course the story is definitely wild to begin with, which again I find appealing, but when it works in context... what's the real issue?

Those Collections on PS4 has reduced the hassle imo since you get to play most of the games in one place now and the 2 games (358/2 days and KH coded) that are not playable are instead given a cinematic movie.

Also if you would like to play those 2 games they are on the DS

Last edited:

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry, but I was cracking up seeing those clips. I get that Kingdom Hearts is near and dear to many people (especially here at Era), but if feels like one of those "you had to play it at the moment of release" kind of deals in order to be into the lore. Otherwise seeing clips like this without any context just makes the series look silly.
indeed

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Well I'm done with the Vietnam doc, all 18 hours of it.

Probably one of the best documentaries I have ever seen, so much eye opening stuff.

Can't believe that war went through four US presidents.

OP
OP
Death Metalist
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait ⇄ Leeds, England
Oct 25, 2017
Despite enjoying PoE: Deadfire and Vampyr a lot, all I keep thinking about after E3 is playing Devil May Cry. I'm starting to feel exhausted with story based games (I played 6 Yakuza games in a little over a year) and all I want to do is stab shit.

If I didn't dislike Disney so much, I probably would have been way into Kingdom Hearts when I was younger.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Playing through Circle of the Moon for the first time and it makes me want "DannyVania" — a feature where Dan plays through the GBA/DS Castlevania's that Vinny didn't want to. And maybe even just some other Metroidvania too. Like that Aliens game, or The Mummy.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Totally Accurate Battlegrounds is this year's weird Steam sale multiplayer game that I get deep into. It's dumb fun.

Quake Champions really turned it around, too. I'll still never be 100% happy with it since joining a server and playing a bunch of rounds with the same group of people is kind of my thing with Quake, but as a modern and more ephemeral multiplayer thing, it works pretty well.

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been Rorie-ing out over my new

m o n i t o r

I've made a quick, high fps, sort of clarity example between 60fps and 131~ fps with Dirt Rally and the bad quality iPhone slow-motion camera

You can really see the difference in motion at the end when they are both compared and it is of course even more noticeable in person, since you need a 144hz display to really see the benefits (like HDR)!

The increase in clarity has me already doing better in games like BF1. You just feel a connection with your mouse that you otherwise don't have with 60hz. I recommend seeing it in person!

Deleted member 420

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i refuse to look at anything higher than 60hz. i just can't get the 120hz+ bug right now and dedicate a lot of money to buying a new GPU and monitor

Deleted member 4970

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i refuse to look at anything higher than 60hz. i just can't get the 120hz+ bug right now and dedicate a lot of money to buying a new GPU and monitor

It's totally something to slowly save for! The high hz (my particular monitor can overclock to 165!) is only really buying into once your PC is fully specced out, since you'll need the juice to actually drive it, of course!

I'm def ruined on 60hz screens with a PC. Went to use my TV again and legit thought some setting got changed, but nope, it was still set to 60hz. It felt very bleh in comparison!

The thing that makes it worth it for me, was the inclusion of G-Sync! Playing games like The Witcher 3 at really high settings at a capped 45fps! G-Sync makes it look and feel consistent enough where you sort of believe it's running at 60fps after a while! It's not some miracle tech though and you'll still notice when your fps drops, but instead of tearing and stuttering, it results in a loss of detail in the camera movement, usually. Almost like motion blur is added!

Overall, it's a nicety that probably isn't worth jumping on until you are absolutely ready!

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
I have a 144hz 1440p gsync and it is <borat>very nice</>, especially for Overwatch. I got a Titan V at work the other day and then realized I was rolling on some mediocre 60Hz 4K panel they gave me and couldn't really use it to its full effect.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
the_buu_mobile_by_vegeta_draws-d8aq1ry.jpg

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
Been playing Mario Tennis online and I'm remembering why competitive online games are always the worst. Literally everyone is better than you all the time. Currently sitting on a record of 0 wins and 37 losses. And I don't do too bad against the AI. It doesn't help that block timing is weird, meter build is inconsistent, and detection for whether or not you're in the star area is super spotty.

The stream yesterday was fun though.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Almost like the meme-ness of it being neigh-impenetrable is more and more exaggerated as time goes on.

As I see it, it basically is like most series where if there are too many entries there it just becomes mythical. (That being said it does have bonkers shit but whatever most stuff does when you look at it closely)

I think that clip is less about being impenetrable and more that a lot of the dialogue is incredibly cheesy and melodramatic.

Veggen

Oct 25, 2017
I'm waiting for large televisions to support variable frame rate myself. I'm still on a plasma, and it's getting a bit long in the tooth. Hopefully a standard feature when the new console generation starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.