• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do YOU want the next OT title to be?

• A Place To Put Your Unrequited Feelings

Votes: 93 45.8%
  • A Usable Plastic Ass

Votes: 38 18.7%
  • It’s Too Late for Everything

Votes: 27 13.3%
  • Weedspeakers.com

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • Kiss My Vitruvian Ass

Votes: 19 9.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deleted member 42221

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Doom Eternal's gameplay looks amazing but what the fuck is that Duke Nukem Forever-level writing. The bit about not being offensive to demons is some lazy "political correctness gone mad" bullshit.

Deleted member 42221

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
I'm not even offended, I think it's just way cornier and more uninspired than Doom's writing. It doesn't work in recapturing the "evil corporation trying to make their behaviours seem normalised through dull advice in absurd situations" bit Doom 2016 was going for. The writing isn't quite dry enough, and is more of a sledgehammer of "DO YOU GET IT". That contrast of more dry, formal styles and over the top gore and violence was what made Doom 2016 work. This feels like a Sunset Overdrive bit.

And given Doom 2016's few comedic bits were very repeated, I think it will wear thin.

LiquidSword

Oct 25, 2017
If that was their intention, congrats on proving their point

It was super dumb, but nothing to get worked up over

I also thought it was funny as it fits perfectly with the tone of the corporation from the first game. Like one of the later levels in the first one the AI guy is announcing that if you are attacked by a demon don't fight and just let it happen lol. However if their intention was to comment on "political correctness" then they are injecting right wing politics into Doom and pointing it out isn't "proving their point"

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Doom Eternal looks exactly like the last one.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I am a slight bit disappointed.

I'm not even offended, I think it's just way cornier and more uninspired than Doom's writing. It doesn't work in recapturing the "evil corporation trying to make their behaviours seem normalised through dull advice in absurd situations" bit Doom 2016 was going for. The writing isn't quite dry enough, and is more of a sledgehammer of "DO YOU GET IT". That contrast of more dry, formal styles and over the top gore and violence was what made Doom 2016 work. This feels like a Sunset Overdrive bit.

And given Doom 2016's few comedic bits were very repeated, I think it will wear thin.
Lol that's pretty spot on

What concerned me more was how repetitive the Glory Kills already seemed to be, and that was only an 11 minute video. I was hoping they would make that a more interesting mechanic this time around

Jubbe

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Antagonizing other users
Oh no a Doom game has bad writing better make a post about it as if anybody else gives a shit !!!

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit... I never really liked CliffyB but he reached another level of bullshit today

Edit: For reference...

Yeah, I didn't think it was possible for CliffyB's capacity for nonsense to still surprise, but those tweets seriously took me aback. In one fell swoop, he perpetuated "journalism is dead" bullshit, stupidly emphasized his personal collection of uncontextualized anecdotes over the thoroughly reported experiences of many others, dismissed those who courageously stepped forward to tell their stories as "randos," and implicitly embraced a narrative where the actual victims in gender discrimination reporting are the companies being reported on. The baffling tweet about Kotaku daring to profit on their journalism was the cherry on top.

He can go fuck himself, as far as I'm concerned.

Teddified

Oct 25, 2017
2735.png

bean

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Vinny absolutely killed it this stream. That was great.

Edit: Also, the "Mortally Challenged" thing wasn't a shot at the idea of political correctness, it was a shot at the corporatizing of political correctness for a ridiculous situation like a demon infestation of earth. That fits right in with the stupid corporate bullshit in Doom 2016 that can be summarized as "If you are in a position where your computer systems have a way to report that a demonic invasion is in progress, you fucked up."

Edit2: Jesus Christ, Cliffy dun lost his goddamn mind. Wow, man. Jaffe's stuff failed just as hard the last few years and he didn't lose it quite this badly.

Last edited:

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I didn't think it was possible for CliffyB's capacity for nonsense to still surprise, but those tweets seriously took me aback. In one fell swoop, he perpetuated "journalism is dead" bullshit, stupidly emphasized his personal collection of uncontextualized anecdotes over the thoroughly reported experiences of many others, dismissed those who courageously stepped forward to tell their stories as "randos," and implicitly embraced a narrative where the actual victims in gender discrimination reporting are the companies being reported on. The baffling tweet about Kotaku daring to profit on their journalism was the cherry on top.

He can go fuck himself, as far as I'm concerned.

you left out the part where he suddenly brought up the president as if to imply Kotaku was intentionally publishing "fake news" because ????, and also the part where he randomly mentioned out of nowhere that his own (dead) studio was definitely totally inclusive as if that's at all relevant

Oct 25, 2017
Damn goddamn I've never heard Dan heated but he sure let it out discussing the IGN plagiarizer.

Its basically spitting in the face of the job Dan has spent a bunch of effort to get so i can see why it would get to him more compared to the others.

But man that dude was a fucking idiot because there is no way that shit would have slid given how fucking blatant it was. Did he not do a 2nd or 3rd pass on it afterwards? *shakes head*

Last edited:

vectorj

Oct 30, 2017
Its basically spitting in the face of the job Dan has much effort to get so i can see why it would get to him more compared to the others.

But man that dude was a fucking idiot because there is no way that shit would have slid given how fucking blatant it was. Did he not do a 2nd or 3rd pass on it afterwards? *shakes head*

oh right I get where he's coming from. I'm working my way through his anxiety as an ally book and the man put in Work to get his first true gig. He's normally quiet during anything like this. I was actually wondering if he'd weigh in on this and he sure did. I applaud him for it.

IGN guy also just did a piss poor job of copying shit. Not to say he did nothing wrong, because it's a genuinely shitty thing. But if you're gonna flub your work...at least put in the effort to flub it...

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
Hello i am the new head writer for Doom video games

I would like you all to know that in the new game, Doom Eternal, the Doomslayer will be very horny for Cacodemons and also Pain Elementals, and this causes him a lot of anguish because they're bad demons, but very hot, to him, personally. There will be many very engaging and sensual scenes tho, also plenty of sadness

please be excited for this game!

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
You need to like pay close attention to sounds and situational awareness in this game. Very hard to successfully do a UPF to.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
so former IGN plagiarism guy posted a vid 'apologising' and then also crapping on jschrier and saying all his reporting was 'doing it for the clicks'

you absolute dumbshit, it's journalism you moron