• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do YOU want the next OT title to be?

• MOM'S DEAD, PARKOUR!

Votes: 120 40.0%
  • I Hear You In My Blood

Votes: 50 16.7%
  • Welcome To The Hugbox

Votes: 12 4.0%
  • What Is To Smang?

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • Y'all Don't Like It Because It's Bad

Votes: 111 37.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitzrules240

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
I'm just clearing out all the objectives on each district but there are some map locations that don't have objectives BUT you can't clear them to you clean up all the treasures. I have not done that yet and don't plan on it...yet.

Blitzrules240

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
I can't believe I just tried a free trial of STARZ to watch Premonition...

Then again, I bought a digital copy of The Wicker Man too...

I <3 F&40s/GBeast.

Deleted member 22476

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly though 99.9% of the writing for female characters in Dragonball is like straight up terrible.

Like, Videl has a lot of agency from what I do remember. Christ, she's fighting in the World Martial Arts competition which puts her in the top 16 fighters on the planet? Even losing badly to a Majinned up baldy doesn't change that.

Chi Chi is a shît character but Bulma is usually awesome and is probably the most consistently sensible character in the show. The way she's wrote in Super is one of the real highlights of it.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly though 99.9% of the writing for female characters in Dragonball is like straight up terrible.
They are awesome for like two seconds then get married, have babies, and lose their personality. Bulma is the only female character who remained unscathed from being reduced to a supporting wife character.

Super makes up for it a bit by introducing two good female characters.

CypherSignal

Oct 25, 2017
Like, Videl has a lot of agency from what I do remember. Christ, she's fighting in the World Martial Arts competition which puts her in the top 16 fighters on the planet? Even losing badly to a Majinned up baldy doesn't change that.

Yeah, but...
apparently she gets totally sidelined for the rest of show, and has almost zero presence or influence going forward?

Like, they have another woman in the cast, that is already a decent fighter, as mentioned, but on top of that is dedicated to further training and learning how to control ki, she's somewhat relatable/accessible as being a "regular" human, has room to grow, has been consistently amusing as a fish-out-of-water giving perspective to the whack-ass-shit that the Z Fighters get up to, and what do they with her? Have her despair and/or cheer for Gohan on the sidelines? I get that she would not be comparable to anyone else in terms of sheer fighting power, but...really?

Deleted member 22476

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, but...
apparently she gets totally sidelined for the rest of show, and has almost zero presence or influence going forward?

Like, they have another woman in the cast, that is already a decent fighter, as mentioned, but on top of that is dedicated to further training and learning how to control ki, she's somewhat relatable/accessible as being a "regular" human, has room to grow, has been consistently amusing as a fish-out-of-water giving perspective to the whack-ass-shit that the Z Fighters get up to, and what do they with her? Have her despair and/or cheer for Gohan on the sidelines? I get that she would not be comparable to anyone else in terms of sheer fighting power, but...really?

Like, in fairness Videl isn't positioned as a Z fighter. And post this tournament it's basically going to be a whole lot of world endangering fighting. Even Tien, Yamacha and clown baby who used to be big players in the show are nothing in fights by this stage, so let's not pretend it's simply a female thing with Videl getting less screen time. That's more to do with the plotting of the remaining episodes of DBZ.

And with all that said they have plenty of examples of shitty writing for the female characters, but in all honesty for early 90s anime or even early 90s television DBZ could be considered relatively progressive.

Last edited:

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Like, in fairness Videl isn't positioned as a Z fighter. And post this tournament it's basically going to be a whole lot of world endangering fighting.
Even Tien, Yamacha and clown baby who used to be big players in the show are nothing in fights by this stage, so let's not pretend it's simply a female thing with Videl getting less screen time.

And with all that said they have plenty of examples of shitty writing for the female characters, but in all honesty for early 90s anime or even early 90s television DBZ could be considered relatively progressive.

Uh what.

Never heard of revolutionary girl utena?

A207-199.jpg

Hell, even the Japanese version of sailor Moon was super progressive.

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm going to jump on the Gamestop deal to trade in an Xbox One S and get 250 towards an Xbox One X

getting pre FOMO about Red Dead

Deleted member 22476

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Uh what.

Never heard of revolutionary girl utena?

A207-199.jpg

Hell, even the Japanese version of sailor Moon was super progressive.

For every Sailor Moon there's 90 harem or sexualised underage girl animes. I'm not saying DBZ is a flag barer but for a big mass market anime/manga it certainly wasn't some exemplar of the worst of its time.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
For every Sailor Moon there's 90 harem or sexualised underage girl animes. I'm not saying DBZ is some flag barer but for a big mass market anime/manga it certainly wasn't some exemplar of the worst of its time.

Oh I'll give you that 99% of anime has garbage writing for female characters, but I wouldn't call dragon ball progressive either. Like the lesson is you can have fun until your married and then you're in the background while the boys go out for fun.

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
You win $300,000,000 after taxes in a lottery. What is the absolute first 3 things you buy?

I would write Dan Ryckert a check for $1 million so he can live his Blank Check dream.

Not sure what I'd buy, but I know one thing I'd do is take $50,000,000 of that $300,000,000 and give myself $1,000,000 per year (spread out every two weeks, to emulate a salary). I would essentially be set for 50 years with that alone and still have $250,000,000 leftover as "emergency funds".

Deleted member 22476

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh I'll give you that 99% of anime has garbage writing for female characters, but I wouldn't call dragon ball progressive either. Like the lesson is you can have fun until your married and then you're in the background while the boys go out for fun.

I should say I've never watched the original DB so my only exposure to Chi Chi is as a shït tier character who is incredibly selfish and I don't have the context of her being ruined.

Videl isn't the only member of that marriage that is sidelined, which makes it a different situation to Chi Chi for me. They're actively trying to say something about how what Gohan wants from life is very different from his father.

Whereas Goku is a deadbeat dad, Gohan loves being with his wife and raising Pan and working in a university like the nerd Chi Chi raised him to be. I think tht actually is one of the cooler aspects of Super, particularly the episode when Future Trunks comes back and goes to see him. And, yeah, maybe they could have given Pan something more to do but taken as a package it's one of the reasons why the whole Future Trunks Saga is so awesome.

Last edited:

Deleted member 46641

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 12, 2018
So I can't use my left hand well now due to severe arm and wrist pain.

What are some good Switch games that can be played on the touch screen?

Jubbe

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like you are all forgetting about the most powerful female character in DBZ.

Pan

CypherSignal

Oct 25, 2017

Like, in fairness Videl isn't positioned as a Z fighter. And post this tournament it's basically going to be a whole lot of world endangering fighting. Even Tien, Yamacha and clown baby who used to be big players in the show are nothing in fights by this stage, so let's not pretend it's simply a female thing with Videl getting less screen time. That's more to do with the plotting of the remaining episodes of DBZ.

Hrm, yeah, I guess it's easy to monday-morning-quarterback the writing of a shonen manga from 25 years ago. I guess maybe my problem, then, just focuses back on an apparent drive for the storylines to be "this guy wants to destroy a civilization!"..."this guy wants to destroy a planet!"...
..."this guy wants to destroy the galaxy!"..."this guy wants to destroy a universe!"..."this guy wants to destroy multiple universes!"

I feel like there could be a lot of entertainment mined out of the other characters dealing with lower-level problems and threats. Maybe that's what original DB is, and I can look forward to some kind of rewatch of that.

Last edited:

TiamatSword

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the lesson was if you're not a Saiyan you suck

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still having a tough time staying motivated in ACO... I do a couple of quests and then I look at my quest logs to try to find something to do...and then I look at the map and at any given time I pretty much always have 4-5 ! points on the map to get more quests....ugh

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like there could be a lot of entertainment mined out of the other characters dealing with lower-level problems and threats. Maybe that's what original DB is, and I can look forward to some kind of rewatch of that.
there's episodes of super about going to amusement parks, playing baseball, vegeta trying to cook, everyone wanting a dragon ball wish for mundane but important to them things while goku is just trying to finally bring back king kai, babysitting, and gohan getting a job as an extra in a great saiyaman movie

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
I feel like everyone who grew up in the greater kansas city area has been to the kc renaissance festival atleast once.

May 5, 2018
This total distortion game is the greatest thing I've ever seen. How is this not bigger than Fortnite?
The Average Mid-90's PC user was not ready for the game's Extreme Attitude and Blend of CGI and real people back then. Shame, we'd have a high budget Total Distortion game by now with an HD Guitar Warrior in this current gen if it succeeded.

Status
Not open for further replies.