• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So many on this board owns Pachter an apology..

Lol

And people saying Sony are scared of Microsoft? The ps5 logo reveal at CES made more press than xbox series x reveal at an awards show.. just think about that for a moment..

Pachter is right, 1000€ ps5 incoming. 😱😭

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Wasn't going to E3 insane expensive for big publishers too, and didn't produce any measurable benefit?

I've been kind of wondering why any of them do it anymore. I agree with others that streaming an event makes more sense. Hell, just having a real on-stage presentation at an (affordable/controlled) location of their choosing and having the press there, and just streaming to the rest of us could be a bit of the best of both worlds.

Oct 25, 2017
Outside the whole doxxing thing, what is E3 doing wrong that Sony doesn't like?

Anyone actually know? Because they mention the vision of E3 was not right for Sony.

What is Sony's ideal "vision" then.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
How many people remember Sony E3 (they did small marketing push) ipfrom last year and how many people remember Keanu Reeves on MS stage? Hell how many people remember anything shown at State of Plays?
They may just do their own events. I agree that State of Plays are fucking lame.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
ViciousCoolGoldfish-size_restricted.gif

Not related to the thread but thank you for using the full gif, I hate the one that just never delivers.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
This was an accident and they apologized for this action, while inexcusable it isn't worse then Sony themselves allowing millions of users CC information to be exposed on psn
Is that the main reason why people are hating on the ESA? You are right to point out the double standard here. It was a simple mistake. Not intentional from what I know.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Sony fans now feel what Nintendo fans have been feeling in the direct thread since the Game Awards

Maddening silence

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Instead it will attend 'hundreds' of consumer events to showcase upcoming games for PS4 and PS5.

what does that even mean?
So they won't be having a big event to showcase the PS5?

This year just keeps getting worse.

They will have an event to announce one number in the teraflops specs and then make us wait another event to see a screenshot from an untitled PS5 game. Another event to show off the color of the console and so on and so forth. PS5 full reveal 2021. Release date: Holiday 2020.

Oct 25, 2017
Also considering how many developers have come out and commented about how much undue stress and crunch having to create demos and videos and vertical slices for this single, yearly event was creating, and how maybe this will create an atmosphere where publishers are more likely to control the timing of their own game reveals and announcements, on their own time, you'd think some more of you would be all for and end to those days.
...you realize devs will still have to crunch to create demos and videos and verticle slices for whenever Sony decides to hold their PS5 events anyway, right? This doesn't actually change that at all lmao, instead of crunching to hit an event in June it'll just be May or something instead.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
So what was the disagreement they had?

Because yeah just because they're doing fan events doesn't mean E3 isn't a good idea. There's definitely something behind the scenes.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I'm ride for my Sony, I lie to my E3.

PS5 release date is going to be dropped on Easter Sunday on a Twitch channel with 11 subscribers, and it will still be the biggest watched stream of 2020.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I think people underestimate how much gaming has grown since the old E3 stage presentations where everyone wore baggy jeans and did awkward stage demos.

Gaming is mainstream now. You don't need a dedicated Expo for it. Platform holders can have a presentation whenever they want, and millions of people will watch, stream, react, and share.

Sure but E3 is another convention to get more word of mouth from the public circulating. Getting hands on time with new consoles and people making videos on all the various social media platforms helps drive that.

Influencers are a massive part of marketing these days and skipping an event that is essentially a giant influencer hub dedicated to just gaming is interesting to say the least.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Sony fans now feel what Nintendo fans have been feeling in the direct thread since the Game Awards

Maddening silence
I don't see how it's maddening. We know what they're doing. Ghosts, Last of Us, PS5. It's not an if, it's a when. A maddening silence is when you don't know what they're doing and you fear it might be nothing.

JDazzle

Nov 6, 2017
I hope this means they will pull a Nintendo and start showing up at San Diego Comic-Con and other conventions.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
Also considering how many developers have come out and commented about how much undue stress and crunch having to create demos and videos and vertical slices for this single, yearly event was creating, and how maybe this will create an atmosphere where publishers are more likely to control the timing of their own game reveals and announcements, on their own time, you'd think some more of you would be all for and end to those days.
What about when they have to create it for Sony's private conference. Won't they need to do the same thing?

coma

Oct 28, 2017
It's always more interesting when more companies are involved. Sony's last few E3s were awful though, so whatever.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
...you realize devs will still have to crunch to create demos and videos and verticle slices for whenever Sony decides to hold their PS5 events anyway, right? This doesn't actually change that at all lmao, instead of crunching to hit an event in June it'll just be May or something instead.

ultimately that will be up to the publishers but it's possible it will allow them more freedom to show the games when they are ready instead of everybody and everything revolving around June/July every year.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Sounds Sony doesn't care about the current State of E3. organize your own event or attend others in which you have to share the spotlight.

I'd Check

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
I'm sorry - but intent doesn't matter here. The fact that this happened going *several* years back, and gaming already has an issue with Gamers™ wanting to harrass (and maybe worse) game journos, it's gross negligence at best.
I understand. It's a bad look for them. And likely a result of insufficient security audits for years. An area that most companies probably lack. It's a total fuck up. But I only bring up intent because of the way people talk about it here. Like they did it on purpose. And Sony skipping is their payment.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sony skipping E3's show floor makes some sense, given that EA and Microsoft had already largely abandoned the show floor, press attendance has been in decline and the ESA's attempts to convert the expo to a consumer expo hasn't been going well. There are plenty of bigger shows if you want to attract gamers.

Sony skipping E3's associated publicity events does strike me as a potential strategic error, since it'll effectively hand Microsoft the one gaming news cycle per year that is guaranteed to get mainstream news attention. Despite the wording of the press release, I would assume that Sony would have something for that week, even if it's just an attempt to play spoiler to the Xbox show.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
E3 should've stayed an industry event. There are plenty of consumer events out there. Besides the big ones like PGW and GamesCom, there are tons of smaller events around the world. You just don't get hype threads about them because there are no big announcements, but devs/pubs still go to places like Spain, Netherlands, Russia, Australia, etc for game events aimed at consumers.

DuvJones

Oct 30, 2017
Because they didn't blast all the info out at Game Awards and CES? They revealed PS4 at their own event in Feb. People are acting like they will do absolutely nothing.

Edit. And they did announce PS5 news last year before MS did so they were early.
It's not even a blasting of info at this point, they are not even hinting at it outside of the obvious ("Hey, kids.... look at our new logo."). So I still have to question what the play is with this.... because this feels. Odd.

It honestly feels as if PS5 isn't new, and given the info that we have on the device and what the platform is, it just might not be... New in the sense of revolution, anyway.
Granted, the leaks have made this feeling worse but still... we know alot about the tech and we have yet to see the device, or the games they want on the thing.
Their not? Look I not entirely sure if timid is the word but it's the only think that I feel fits with this.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Fuck ten pages. That's fast.

I am honestly surprised the servers hold. I was almost expecting Resetera to be down lol
Outside the whole doxxing thing, what is E3 doing wrong that Sony doesn't like?

Anyone actually know? Because they mention the vision of E3 was not right for Sony.

What is Sony's ideal "vision" then.

Posted a few pages back, but mostly is:

Sony wants the E3 to be a consumer event, kinda like Gamescom.
The ESA wants to be remain as industry-only as possible.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Let me play devil's advocate. If Sony was attending E3 and Microsoft was the company making this announcement, would everyone that is celebrating here still be?

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
Kind of strange that people are acting like E3 isn't happening this year because of this announcement.
Yeah. Some have stated they want no part of E3 because Sony is not there. Do they mean they won't watch anything out of spite or is it the only games they are interested in are Sony exclusives. hard to tell.

Nov 11, 2017
Yep great post regardless of whatever event they hold developers will STILL have to crunch in order to create demos or slices

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
none of this post makes sense

I admittedly haven't watched any in probably a year or two cause I found the format a waste of time, but I have a recollection of them being front loaded with a 90% focus on whatever game they were trying to market the heaviest at the time, then they would have a few minutes of new trailers or teasers, sometimes of unannounced titles. The point I was making is I'm not interested in watching a 20 minute Luigi's Mansion advertisement to maybe see a 20 second teaser of a surprise unannounced title.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Let me play devil's advocate. If Sony was attending E3 and Microsoft was the company making this announcement, would everyone that is celebrating here still be?
Everyone? No. But I'm sure a good majority would be. The ESA sucks and E3 is a bloated nightmare.

Don't make this a platform war issue, because it's not for a grand majority of people.

I don't think anybody is concerned if Nintendo is going to release video games this year.
I never said anything about Nintendo, I was commenting on the "maddening silence".

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
I think the biggest hit is that means only MS will have 1 guaranteed event for non-media members to play next gen games before launch.

Having Sony their with the PS5 to let people get their hands on the updated controller and see whatever games they had ready for a demo really would have been the biggest thing with E3 being public and this being the 2 year that there's a new generation of hardware available for the first time.
They said they will be at hundreds of other events