• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheDoctor

Oct 27, 2017
I asked before, but what does that attendance really matter compared to viewership across events over the however many day period?
Because it's part of the whole picture.

Engadget published a break down of the cost of an E3 booth back in 2013. An indie studio ended up spending $100.000 on the entire show:
Semiformal Studios secured a 600 square foot space on the E3 show floor this year, and it ended up spending $100,000 on the entire show.
"If we hadn't second-guessed everything, worked really hard, and gotten clever it would have been about $300,000 - $500,000, but the necessity to put on a good show and the lack of funds forced us to think cleverly and work hard to make it happen on the cheap," Semiformal Studios Director Ian Kinsey tells me. "I'm confident we had the cheapest price per square foot (when you factor in all costs) of all the decently interactive booths at E3."

The space itself cost $30,000 – 600 square feet is the smallest space offered – and that doesn't factor in the actual booth itself. For its construction, Kinsey got quotes from dozens of booth and expo designers, even museum exhibit companies, that ranged from $80,000 to $250,000, just for a standard design, no frills.

One of Semiformal's artists suggested a local prop-maker that ended up charging $30,000, and he built Semiformal's desert-themed booth in two months. Rather than spend up to $10,000 on shipping the booth, Semiformal rented a truck drove it to E3 themselves instead.

Additional costs from E3 itself, including fees to the show's managing company, GES, added up to $15,000. Finishing costs ran up to $7,800, though it could have been closer to $11,000
, had Semiformal not kept a close eye on its spending, Kinsey says.

Other options for indies to show their games at E3 include the mobile games pavilion, which Kinsey says costs around $9,000, and it's segregated from the main floor and high-traffic areas. There's always IndieCade, but that's a separate process that doesn't guarantee entry.

Now put those numbers in the context of a company like Sony, who use to have one of the largest booths at E3.

Sony were easily spending seven figures on their showfloor presence alone. That doesn't even include staff, food, hotel accommodations or travel expenses ...

That's a lot of money for 70.000 attendees (including a few thousand fans who paid $149-249 for a three day ticket). At the same time you have public events like Gamescom, Paris Games Week, Tokyo Game Show and Brazil Game Show that attract massive crowds offering a much higher return on investment.

The vast majority of those attending E3 are industry professionals, journalists, content creators and influencers. There are much more cost effective ways to interract with them (or reach the audiences they represent).

E.Balboa

Oct 30, 2017
Florianópolis, Brazil
It's their loss. I appreciate all the spectacle E3 brings and I'm positive millions of others do too.

The kind of things the big 3 used to do on stage were unique too and it's sad that only MS is still around doing the live 2hour conference. I'll give them my attention because of that.

Other than that, I'm sure I'll watch the Sony trailers whenever they come out, but frankly it doesn't hold a candle to a live 2 hour show in front of an audience of enthusiasts, journalists and the likes. MS still can get me excited about a conference and hopefully they won't follow suit.

Outside our niche Era forum there's a LOT of people that wait for E3 for their gaming news. I'm sure there's gonna be stuff aplenty about the PS5 around E3s time, but nothing is comparable to that presentations, imo.

Too bad so sad.

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sucks, but even with the show to themselves I bet MS showing will be lackluster as they too will most likely be doing their own show.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they at least do a PS experience again

but after that last one lol............

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I mean, it's only a matter of time until the PS5 is fully revealed but I wonder why they bothered to release this statement. There is nothing positive to extract from this, it's almost like they just want to piss off the ESA lol
I agree. I just meant we have no specific event to look forward to at the moment. We never know when news might pop up.

Hakimy

Nov 9, 2017
I think the reason Sony skipped E3 (besides the tension with ESA) is that people expect Sony to reveal most if not everything about PS5 during that event and maybe they don't want to. Imagine Sony being there and not showing PS5, its price, its specs or any other important info! People will shit over them. But by skipping they can have the preferred time and methods to show info about PS5 whether it's before June or after it. Still sad about E3 but if this is the reason then i can get why they did this.

Vic2003

Dec 8, 2017

Engadget published a break down of the cost of an E3 booth back in 2013. An indie studio ended up spending $100.000 on the entire show:

Now put those numbers in the context of a company like Sony, who use to have one of the largest booths at E3.

Sony were easily spending seven figures on their showfloor presence alone. That doesn't even include staff, food, hotel accommodations or travel expenses ...

That's a lot of money for 70.000 attendees (including a few thousand fans who paid $149-249 for a three day ticket). At the same time you have public events like Gamescom, Paris Games Week, Tokyo Game Show and Brazil Game Show that attract massive crowds offering a much higher return on investment.

The vast majority of those attending E3 are industry professionals, journalists, content creators and influencers. There are much more cost effective ways to interract with them (or reach the audiences they represent).

True but what did they spend on their CES presence? How about that prototype car that will never be sold? Im not sure but I thought I saw somewhere that PlayStation is their #1 product...

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
Why don't Sony use condoms? they're so good at pulling out.
c5f.gif

Contranova

Oct 26, 2017
NYC
It's their loss. I appreciate all the spectacle E3 brings and I'm positive millions of others do too.

The kind of things the big 3 used to do on stage were unique too and it's sad that only MS is still around doing the live 2hour conference. I'll give them my attention because of that.

Other than that, I'm sure I'll watch the Sony trailers whenever they come out, but frankly it doesn't hold a candle to a live 2 hour show in front of an audience of enthusiasts, journalists and the likes. MS still can get me excited about a conference and hopefully they won't follow suit.

Outside our niche Era forum there's a LOT of people that wait for E3 for their gaming news. I'm sure there's gonna be stuff aplenty about the PS5 around E3s time, but nothing is comparable to that presentations, imo.

Too bad so sad.

As a matter fact, no, a lot of people actually don't wait for E3 for their gaming news. This is targeted to the hardcore millennial gamers, it WAS the trend. However if you talk to Gen Z'ers, as a lot of my nephews, nieces are, they prefer to be directly involved at their own pace and time. Sony can easily generate buzz if they decide to hype up their own private conference which they will for PS5.

I personally do enjoy the E3 conferences however, I am respectful of the fact that it is a dying tradition.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
Good on Sony. E3 has gone downhill.

But I do think this will work to Microsoft's advantage.

ry-dog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has any other general games conference come close to the livestream numbers of E3?

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo is at E3 tho ? They just don't do live conferences anymore.

I remember when Nintendo stopped doing this and all the gaming press lost their minds about how terrible of an idea it was that they wouldnt have larger presence there. I think it was the 1up days. The journalists were freaking out.

Now you contrast that to today and its amazing.

I don't know if it was e3, but whenever they did that "This is how you lend a friend games on the Playstation" That shit decided the entire generation for me. I was instantly going to make one of my consoles a Playstation after they cracked that joke. Because honestly, we were all legit worried about losing that ability back then. I don't know if that was an E3 tho.

Its crazy that people don't remember that going into last gen the crown was up in the air, we had just come off a gen where Xbox ran the first half, and PS3 only really regained footing on the back half, and BOTH of them lost to the fucking Wii.

This shit MATTERED back then for the upcoming generation. There was no clear heir really. All we knew is that it wasn't going to be Nintendo again.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Those are insane numbers. What kind of indie studios can put up half a million for E3 booths?

These massive trade shows are making less sense as time goes on. I can't imagine elaborate booth designs affecting YouTube views or overall exposure of a game these days in any major way.

xaosslug

Oct 27, 2017
What do you mean? Microsoft undoubtedly screwed up bad with their Xbox One announcement show. It was a PR nightmare.

i think what happened with MS was inconsequential to PS4's success. I mean MS launched first with 360 and in the end PS3 still overtook it.

i mean y'all really thought a console whose predecessors all sold over 100m+ was suddenly gonna underperform? Really? lmao

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
this is a bad trend. If there's no E3 then there's no Giant Bomb @ Nite and that's just a travesty.

Oct 25, 2017
The amount of people celebrating the loss of a major gaming tradition for others is a bad look. I really dont understand hating a convention that much.

I won't mourn the loss of the informercials that are publisher conferences. We'll still get the info, but hopefully without the fluff. Personally hoping the rest follow fast.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why people keep worrying about billion dollar companies saving money. As gamers, why do we give a shit if any of the big three have to spend $5 million dollars to show us brand new games? They make more than that in a day.
Lol... Who said I was worrying about their money. I just stated a benefit of not being at E3. Being able to see the pros and cons from their perspective is a great way to understand why something is happening.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
You are probably kidding but I imagine the new State of Plays from now on will be REALLY good

They will have A LOT of content to show once PS5 is fully revealed
I actually wasn't. I enjoy year-round coverage and this just cements their commitment to wanting it to be an ongoing celebration of PlayStation rather than one single big event.

J.T

Nov 22, 2017
Well that sucks, last years E3 wasn't as exciting for me. I guess this is it for E3, Shame it used to be my favorite day of the year for me.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
i think what happened with MS was inconsequential to PS4's success. I mean MS launched first with 360 and in the end PS3 still overtook it.

i mean y'all really thought a console whose predecessors all sold over 100m+ was suddenly gonna underperform? Really? lmao

That's not what he was saying. PS4s success was in part because of the MS PR disaster in 2013. Being cheaper with stronger hardware helped, and then when MS finally got their shit together, it was solid exclusives that helped them ride that out to the end of the generation. If MS hadnt screwed up before they even launched, I don't think PS4 would had such a high level of success, yet it still would be a success.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
These 20-30 mins of state of play are way less exciting than a 90 min conference

I'd stay up late watching these things with a smile on my face. Disappointed.

xaosslug

Oct 27, 2017
That's not what he was saying. PS4s success was in part because of the MS PR disaster in 2013. Being cheaper with stronger hardware helped, and then when MS finally got their shit together, it was solid exclusives that helped them ride that out to the end of the generation. If MS hadnt screwed up before they even launched, I don't think PS4 would had such a high level of success, yet it still would be a success.

like I said, I think MS' fuck ups were all inconsequential. PS4 was always gonna be a beast. 🤷‍♂️ But I guess we'll see with PS5 and SeX.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
well that's unfortunate. Makes me wonder how they're going to handle news going forward this year. We'll get the Playstation February event most likely, but then what after that?

Kaz Hirai is that you?

nah, that joke was way too weak and forced to be a CEO Kaz Hirai joke.

(I know you're joking with that question, btw)

OldBenKenobi

Oct 25, 2017
Well That sucks, E3 was one of my favorite times of year. So I am assuming nothing official about Ps5 until March now or are we still getting something in February ?

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
like I said, I think MS' fuck ups were all inconsequential. PS4 was always gonna be a beast. 🤷‍♂️ But I guess we'll see with PS5 and SeX.
If the PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 are any indication, the PS5 will be a success.

The PS3 was their only console that was sketchy and they turned it around the last few years of the generation. Sony knows how to make great games for their hardware so there's nothing to worry about. PS5 is going to be a success.

takriel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This does not inspire confidence in Sony in 2020. Might skip the PS5 (actually only bought the PS4 for Bloodborne anyway).