• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ieandrew

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This does not inspire confidence in Sony in 2020. Might skip the PS5 (actually only bought the PS4 for Bloodborne anyway).
The insignificance of this as it relates to your experience with their product suite shows that you definitely made your mind up already, before anything happened here.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
That sucks. Microsoft is going to suck a lot of air out of the room if Sony doesn't have their own thing going on.

And they'd better not feed us that State of Play nonsense; those are only marginally better than a Tim & Eric cable access send-up.

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
With the state the ESA is in, i understand their decision, but man did sony have some epic E3s. 2015 and 2016 back to back E3 shows were historically epic.

I just hope for more amazing live stage shows from them, feels like we haven't gotten one in a long time. They generate so much raw hype.

PowerBar

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I don't get their current global events strategy either, what strategy? Sony has been absent for more than a year. I really dislike this scattered dripfeed of info.

I'n wondering what's really going on. In 2018 when skipping both E3 and PSX Shawn Layden said something like "yeah we're skipping both but just see what we have in store for you next year!" . All we got were some weirdly timed direct clones and a Wired article. Not really a well directed strategy if you ask me.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Did you really only buy a console for one game? That seems drastic!
I mean...

Sony & From still get his money anyway.

giphy.gif

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
The only crime here is they never announced their plans for another show or even when they're going to go in-depth with a PS5 reveal. Don't leave us hanging any longer.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Very surprising to be honest. I thought with the PS5 coming out they'd definitely want to be there.
They can probably make a far bigger impact going to way more smaller events around the world and getting games in the hands of people that aren't just in USA.

That and just dropping teaser images on Instagram once a fortnight or so.

A lot of casuals don't know what E3 is. A guy who sits across from me at work that bits pretty much every major game day one has no idea. Since I told him he hasn't watched it once or any gaming show. He gets all his news from the PlayStation blog and the free paper on buses yet still managed to spend more than half his wage a month on games.

E3 is irrelevant to the younger crowd that didn't grow up reading magazines in the 90s

Rocco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
A lot of casuals don't know what E3 is. A guy who sits across from me at work that bits pretty much every major game day one has no idea. Since I told him he hasn't watched it once or any gaming show. He gets all his news from the PlayStation blog and the free paper on buses yet still managed to spend more than half his wage a month on games.

E3 is irrelevant to the younger crowd that didn't grow up reading magazines in the 90s

lol...it has begun.

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't know. i would have liked to see them there but if the ESA is such a fuckup then maybe they're better off not being there.

Key222

Dec 11, 2017
I don't get their current global events strategy either, what strategy? Sony has been absent for more than a year. I really dislike this scattered dripfeed of info.

I'n wondering what's really going on. In 2018 when skipping both E3 and PSX Shawn Layden said something like "yeah we're skipping both but just see what we have in store for you next year!" . All we got were some weirdly timed direct clones and a Wired article. Not really a well directed strategy if you ask me.

I believe that interview took place in February of last year (the interview with CNET?). He would had been talking about 2020 when he was talking about what was in store for the next year. We are only 14 days into 2020.

Nebuzel

Oct 27, 2017
They may be growing toward it, but they aren't anywhere near those yet. Last year E3 had an attendance of 66k, which was actually down from the previous year of 69k. Meanwhile gamescom had attendance of 373k, up from 370k the previous year.

Foot traffic is the least important part about what E3 does. Its about the general media coverage and the boom of online viewership. An event like this is covered by the media in a way that gets the attention of super-casuals and its even sometimes talked about on local news stations or cable news channels, etc. I'm not saying Sony can't replicate viewership in other ways, such as dropping its own presentations and info videos, but E3 serves you up an audience on a platter. And it gets the attention of people outside of gaming circles.

Here is a quote from a response article at GameIndustry.biz..... and keep in mind these are stats from 2018-2019 shows, which would likely pale in comparison to the attention brought to a potential E3 2020 with new consoles launching.

"The numbers speak for themselves. According to Fancensus, over 70 million people watched E3-related Cyberpunk 2077 videos on YouTube, 37 million watched Marvel's Avengers footage and 24 million enjoyed Watch Dogs Legion YouTube coverage. If you compare that to Gamescom-tagged coverage, probably E3's biggest rival, the most viewed game from that show was Marvel's Avengers, which generated just under 9.2 million views. And, in the past, PlayStation has dominated E3. In 2018, Sony's products attracted just shy of 80 million views on YouTube (again Fancensus data) during E3, just under 10 million more than Nintendo and almost 55 million more than Microsoft." (https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-01-13-is-playstation-right-to-leave-e3)

Last edited:

2ndTuXx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are they gonna have an event right before launch?

Pretty stupid to limit the exposure of a new console they're trying to market.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
There's nothing like E3. Hope they still host their own event during E3 week.

they've always seemed to like being after MS. Now they can do the same.

potentially reveal at PS meeting Feb ahead of MS to get things rolling, then save updates and price until after MS has shown their hand and when the press window means they'll get maximum attention.

I could see them sending out an invite to an event the day before MS conference as a spoiler (would likely ensure that press coverage of MS would also include Ps5 mention), and the event maybe two weeks after E3? You need time for journalists to get back from E3 and decompress before asking them to another event. If they don't do it soon after E3 then it'll be maybe September- summer seems too quiet

Last edited:

northnorth

Dec 4, 2017
With the state the ESA is in, i understand their decision, but man did sony have some epic E3s. 2015 and 2016 back to back E3 shows were historically epic.

I just hope for more amazing live stage shows from them, feels like we haven't gotten one in a long time. They generate so much raw hype.

Yep! I moved back to my hometown to work remotely with my dad going through colon cancer in 2015. He bought me a PS4 kind of knowing what was coming. The hard times and long days of treatment and man I fell in love with this console during such an awful time, it helped me through the end with him and those E3s were so damn epic. So the PS4 and those events are real special to me since I only got it because of my dad. Got me back into gaming big time.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Foot traffic is the least important part about what E3 does. Its about the general media coverage and the boom of online viewership. An event like this is covered by the media in a way that gets the attention of super-casuals and its even sometimes talked about on local news stations or cable news channels, etc. I'm not saying Sony can't replicate viewership in other ways, such as dropping its own presentations and info videos, but E3 serves you up an audience on a platter. And it gets the attention of people outside of gaming circles.

Here is a quote from a response article at GameIndustry.biz..... and keep in mind these are stats from 2018-2019 shows, which would likely pale in comparison to the attention brought to a potential E3 2020 with new consoles launching.

"The numbers speak for themselves. According to Fancensus, over 70 million people watched E3-related Cyberpunk 2077 videos on YouTube, 37 million watched Marvel's Avengers footage and 24 million enjoyed Watch Dogs Legion YouTube coverage. If you compare that to Gamescom-tagged coverage, probably E3's biggest rival, the most viewed game from that show was Marvel's Avengers, which generated just under 9.2 million views. And, in the past, PlayStation has dominated E3. In 2018, Sony's products attracted just shy of 80 million views on YouTube (again Fancensus data) during E3, just under 10 million more than Nintendo and almost 55 million more than Microsoft."

Maybe the drop is because Gamescom happens after E3 when most reveals have already been made. I don't remember any recent big reveals at Gamescom.

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
Phil Spencer's tweet after this announcement:

there is a thread too, for those who want to discuss more about this topic... but twice.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
The only crime here is they never announced their plans for another show or even when they're going to go in-depth with a PS5 reveal. Don't leave us hanging any longer.

announce E3 news. Pause for wailing and gnashing of teeth to die down. Then announce PS meeting

any E3 time second event won't be announced until closer to the time - you might get a 'we'll have more for you later in the year/this summer - but nothing specific

Paertan

Oct 28, 2017
As much as I enjoy the good old E3 with conferences and the hype I understand why. E3 has lost its importance. I hope they can adapt.
Go Queue-tainment! xD

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
What a terrible decision and a strange one as I thought they would want as much hype around the PS5 as possible. They did not even announce a Playstation Meeting.

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's disappointing. I was looking forward to trying to decide which shiny new toy to get after hearing a massive blowout of impressions and comparisons between the new systems.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I knew that this will all be on a fall out.

Spitballing here, from dealing with events in the UK.

ESA lost shit loads of money losing Sony last year. Sony wanted back in and approached for there usual floor space, location and deal.

ESA played hardball, said sure it's available but the cost will be considerably more expensive, maybe even reaching double the cost per sq metre.

Sony says no way, ESA says yes way. They probably negotiate but cant secure anything close to what they used to pay. Sony says nah we are passing.

I see both sides of it, super gutting that Sony didnt announce something else to cover it. Makes me think this decision has pretty much just happened and wasnt completely planned.

Maybe it's a last minute move to push ESA but I doubt it.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Why is it so hard to say "See you next month"? Unless this announcement is very soon, I don't see a reason why'd you do that.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Dont really super mind. If they have news a little before or after, no ones really going to notice, and as with how the ESA screwed the press, I'm sure they're gonna a promote Sony outside of E3 just fine, as if they wouldn't if they had less of a reason to anyway.
Think it's a bit of a shame we're losing an event where everyone shows up and I do kinda like press conferences, but Nintendo hasn't been there for a while and I barely notice and I love their directs more than their press conferences so PS could well do the same.