• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Ok, so me here in my arm chair.... this is rather weird, Sony seems to value CES more than E3 for gamers. Odd.
Because the thing is that the market around CES isn't the same and I would be expecting them to being cultivating the user base for launch. CES would not be the first even I would consider.

Still, given that this is true.... what is Sony's marketing play here? Because it's been low-key around the PS5 outside of the gaming bubble.

It's not even two weeks into January yet. They have plenty of time. I'll bet they know what they are doing too.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Lol. Arrogant Sony posts are the best.

How about, Sony have a legitimate issue with the current E3 process - whether that be a financial, operational or personnel issue.

they should resolve this because they are company? Come on! They are releasing new hardware. Any attention will be important. But if they are preparing a soft launch, maybe it's better to not show at all.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
The show floor has been empty for years, even with Sony.
No Microsoft, no EA, but a TON of others also just don't have a presence, either.

Activision/Blizzard (Remember the long lines for Skylander toys?), Rockstar (The fenced off busses?), Wargaming.net (Huge stadium seating?), and even accessory companies who used to have HUGE areas also left, like Turtlebeach (All those headphones?), PDP, Nyko and more.

Heck, even the small booth area in the back of South Hall was the weakest it has ever been in 2019.

Now, throw in the new top end mobile companies that AREN'T participating in E3, and you have a situation where it's just one shrinking fraction of the industry in total.

Where's Tencent? Gameloft? Supercell?

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
I used to be aware of every new game coming out cause 95% of it was concentrated in a couple days of E3 press conferences (and/or Gamescom/TGS), this was true even just a couple years ago. Now though I'm routinely taken aback by some legitimate what the fuck is that, never heard of it. Even first party games I had no idea existed, cause their announcements are spread out over 75 different Nintendo Directs, State of Plays, or Inside Xbox's I never watch, cause 90% of them are waste of time fluff pieces for whatever game they're marketing at the time. Like I'm not going to spend 30 minutes watching a Pokemon or Smash Bros DLC direct to maybe have a infinitesimally slim chance of seeing something like an Astral Chain or Xenoblade. Apparently I'm out of touch with new age gaming and need to pick up a new hobby.

carl_sandland

May 31, 2019
I never understood the obsession with all the information dropping at one event where half of it gets completely lost in the noise. It's an out of date model and doing separate presentations is better.
I completely agree, and not to mention the pointless developer crunch that often has to happen to get an "e3 demo" done in time.

I get why people will miss the drama of Sony V MS v Nintendo, but maybe the companies themselves won't ?

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Disappointing but I get it. Would have been nice if they announced the PS5 reveal event alongside this news.

Feb 10, 2018
Microsoft still have a press event but it's not technically part of E3, it's their own event at their own theatre.

It's kinda semantics though. They're part of E3 week like they always have been, just not an official E3 conference hosted by E3. I think EA are the same?

Don't ms have to pay ESA because they still call it the "2019 E3 xbox press briefing"

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
As an European this is hopefully good news as whatever they decide to do instead won't be at 3am in the night.

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
After the ESA user info shitshow I do not blame them. I hope that what ever Sony has to show game wise in the following months or at PSX that we see more downloadable demos that you'd see at a show floor. These events can morph into more digital interactions than the decades prior when that wasn't a possibility.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I wonder what disagreements Sony have the ESA.

At this point I don't think E3 really matters.

I mean do Microsoft even do E3 considering there conference and booth was held in there own property last year?
I mean did ms even pay ESA anything?
They've probably got some agreements in place given that you still needed an E3 pass for entry, but it seems like they've got their foot out the door more than anything.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
WrEzCZl.gif

This is exactly how I feel right now.

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am not getting the point of Sony just announcing they are not attending E3 without announcing their own press event.

It's pretty straightforward PR work.

Drop the bad news first. Let it cycle through the media/press.

Drop the good news afterwards. Let it cycle through the media/press.

That way you keep it seperate and not mixed up with 'new PSM announced, but no E3' articles that send mixed messaging.

Feb 26, 2018
Sony just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about gaming conventions (I'm an expert), but doxing everyone attending is a huge part of it. It's not like its PSX where you can become successful by having a fan celebration of your brand. If you screw someone over at ESA, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means that gamers, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase PS5, nor will they purchase any of Sony's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated an entire market with this move.

Sony, publicly apologize and come back to E3 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

DuvJones

Oct 30, 2017
It's not even two weeks into January yet. They have plenty of time. I'll bet they know what they are doing too.
True, but that is rather telling that they have been rather low-key. Sony was always one to make hay rather early that a new platform was nigh, so this is odd to follow since it seems that Sony is rather.... timid?

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
since i dont live in LA i dont care much about e3 itself, i care about conferences/directs, i dont think this means sony will do nothing in its place

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
When the PS5 fails to pass Wii U numbers and Insomniac is bought by Microsoft, Miyamoto is only going to have himself to blame for this.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
The show floor has been empty for years, even with Sony.
No Microsoft, no EA, but a TON of others also just don't have a presence, either.

Activision/Blizzard (Remember the long lines for Skylander toys?), Rockstar (The fenced off busses?), Wargaming.net (Huge stadium seating?), and even accessory companies who used to have HUGE areas also left, like Turtlebeach (All those headphones?), PDP, Nyko and more.

Heck, even the small booth area in the back of South Hall was the weakest it has ever been in 2019.

Now, throw in the new top end mobile companies that AREN'T participating in E3, and you have a situation where it's just one shrinking fraction of the industry in total.

Where's Tencent? Gameloft? Supercell?
IIRC Rockstar never attends E3?

Jacob4815

Oct 29, 2017
Don't care about E3, but i'm worried about the lack of a big PS meeting date and reveal.

"We will build upon our global events strategy in 2020 by participating in hundreds of consumer events across the globe. "
Doesn't sound good...

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
i certainly gonna miss those times - staying awake till 3am, chatting and getting hyped up on discord, beeing excited for the whole week and next day full of gaming news

E3 was like the Christmas of Gaming for me - probably even the most exciting time of the year.

but those days are gone...welp everything has to end eventually but it makes me really sad

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Drop the bad news first. Let it cycle through the media/press.

Drop the good news afterwards. Let it cycle through the media/press.
i remember before their PS4 presser there was rumors and panic that they wouldn't show off the PS4 at the PS4 REVEAL, and that they would spend too much time talking about the PS3 for some reason

like chickens without heads some people are

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
True, but that is rather telling that they have been rather low-key. Sony was always one to make hay rather early that a new platform was nigh, so this is odd to follow since it seems that Sony is rather.... timid?

Because they didn't blast all the info out at Game Awards and CES? They revealed PS4 at their own event in Feb. People are acting like they will do absolutely nothing.

Edit. And they did announce PS5 news last year before MS did so they were early.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How are they timid? Two Wired articles going into more details than we normally get over a year in advance and they have been mentioning even more PS5 info was coming in 2020 since way back in 2019. I feel like people are misremembering the launch year as multiple years.

Oct 29, 2017
Was hoping they would be at e3 :(

Hope they come out guns blazing at least for being so secretive/quiet and little to no communication about what's going on.

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everyone all of a sudden hates E3...

I don't hate it. But I also see the success that Sony and Nintendo have experienced with Direct style reveals and a general shift in the approach to announcements.

I'd probably prefer that Sony were at E3 so I could get the concentrated info dump we are used to getting. But I'm also happy to get the same news with a different format and timing.