• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
That sucks for sony fans. Hopefully theyll still do their own event around the same time as E3. I dont care if everything is under the "E3" banner or not, I just want everyone to announce new things all around the same time.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Nintendo never actually left E3, guys. They stopped doing E3 press conferences because their last one was so shit, but they still have a huge floor presence. Despite still having a press conference Microsoft's foot is further out the door since they do their floor showcases at the Microsoft Theater. It seems like Sony is straight-up gone, both in press conference and floor presence.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
Damn...that's a big loss for E3. I really thought last year was just going to be a one time thing. Hopefully they do their own thing around the same time.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Hopefully skipping means that they have legitimate alternate plans, like their own show or Nintendo Direct like output, and not because they don't have the announcements to justify attending E3 like 2019? It's not readily clear from that PR, but then again, those are things you typically don't announce well in advance anyways.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Very disappointing. I really enjoy E3 and all the hype and announcements around it, Sony not being there (along with EA and Nintendo no longer having proper conferences) is a huge omission. E3 really is a shadow of its former self.

Here's hoping their inevitable own conference competes with the quality of some of their past E3 conferences, because the State of Plays have been comparatively underwhelming.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I wonder how much the poor reaction to the "format" of their 2018 "Conference" drove their decision in 2019 and now 2020 to leave E3.

Kind of a shame that that Thing of a presentation is Sony's E3 Swansong.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
"Hundreds of consumer events", wow, that's almost as good as the Nintendo bus tour I think they mentioned when they bowed out.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Yikes, the wording of that statement could not be any colder. Looks like it's setting up the stage to never return to E3 depending on how this year goes.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I never understood the obsession with all the information dropping at one event where half of it gets completely lost in the noise. It's an out of date model and doing separate presentations is better.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
It shouldn't be a surprise, I think after getting The Last Guardian, FFVII remake, and Shenmue 3 (and the Horizon: Zero Dawn announcement) in 2015, deep down (sorry) we all knew there wasn't a need for E3 any more.

joking. mostly.

JaegerDeus

Banned
Jan 25, 2018
Meh.

Given they're launching a new console, it's hardly a big deal. The hardcore gamers that want new hardware at launch will follow them where ever they go for the info.

Not sure it's in their best interest in the long-term though. I still run into people that think Cyberpunk is only coming out on Xbox, simply because it appeared on stage at the Microsoft presser during E3. Something to be said for the mainstream news coverage I guess.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
ViciousCoolGoldfish-size_restricted.gif
Yes.......

LuuKyK

Oct 29, 2017
Brazil
It's was good knowing you E3. Sony is doing the right thing tbh. I'll miss the days of the great conferences though, they were awesome.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Welp. There you have it. Will be interesting to see if they ever come back or other big names will follow going forward.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo never actually left E3, guys. They stopped doing E3 press conferences because their last one was so shit, but they still have a huge floor presence. Despite still having a press conference Microsoft's foot is further out the door since they do their floor showcases at the Microsoft Theater.
Yeah that's what has me laughing a bit, because people were crying NINTENDOOMED because Nintendo was "abandoning e3" despite still having a huge presence and then Sony actually abandons e3 and nobody is suggesting that Sony is doomed

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Not a fan of getting info trickled down through multiple events. Rather have everyone show their stuff in this one week during e3. But Sony is leading right now so they know what they are doing.

Brainiac 8

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo does their own thing, Sony does their own thing, C'mon Microsoft just pull away from E3 too so the entire event can go bye bye.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised so many people seem to dislike E3. It was always one of my favorite times of the year.
The concept of all the major game companies getting together for a week of announcements and demonstrations is great, but I've heard nothing but bad things about what it's like to actually go and/or present at E3.

Oct 25, 2017
And there we go.......

Sad man.

E3 was the BEST time of the year. I waited all year for it. So many special times.

Sony was a GIGANTIC part of that. Like 50% of the reason I cared about E3.

I was hoping MAYBE 2019 was just a one off thing. But 2 years in a row with the PS5 coming? They are fucking done with E3, and with it, my enthusiasm for it has been reduced drastically.