• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

D BATCH

Nov 15, 2017
The amount of people celebrating the loss of a major gaming tradition for others is a bad look. I really dont understand hating a convention that much.
Ya now E3 is irrelevant? This is not a good look imo. E3 is a huge show with tons of gamers attention on it. I don't understand why people think E3 is irrelevant. I disagree with this statement.

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
The ESA can go fuck themselves but I'll miss E3 once it disappears. Lots of good memories watching conferences with friends and riffing on all the terrible attempts at comedy over the years.

Timlot

Banned
Nov 27, 2019
From what I read everything Sony does is excused so they pretty much could just show up in November with boxes on shelves and save that marketing budget.

thebigword

Oct 27, 2017
ViciousCoolGoldfish-size_restricted.gif

Wow, it finally happened. I've been waiting forever to see this, lol

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Also considering how many developers have come out and commented about how much undue stress and crunch having to create demos and videos and vertical slices for this single, yearly event was creating, and how maybe this will create an atmosphere where publishers are more likely to control the timing of their own game reveals and announcements, on their own time, you'd think some more of you would be all for and end to those days.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Feels like another step toward the death of E3 and I know it's stupid to be bummed about what is basically just a big ol' marketing fest but I'm really going to miss E3 (or at least E3 as it was) when it's gone. It's always been so much fun getting hyped about so much stuff all at once each year.

G_O

Oct 28, 2017
At the end of the day this ultimately affects nobody except for people who work for the ESA.

Sony will still make games and Sony fans will continue to play them.

Bish_Bosch

Apr 30, 2018
How many people remember Sony E3 (they did small marketing push) ipfrom last year and how many people remember Keanu Reeves on MS stage? Hell how many people remember anything shown at State of Plays?

I mean yeah Keanu became a meme but I'm not sure the extent to which its tied to Microsoft. And they aren't purely going to announce the PS5 via a State of Play.

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I've accepted that E3 is on it's way out. I just want the date for the PS5 reveal!
I know they likely won't have anything to announce until very late January or early February at the earliest, I'm just getting impatient :P

If it were up to me, I wouldn't have made this announcement without having the PS5 reveal event to announce alongside it
"A bit of sad news, but PS5 event next month!"

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Ok that's fine, even though i used to enjoy E3 before. Without Sony is nothing now. But wtf, why no announcement for february reveal event? It's going to suck if we have to wait until april or may.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
The amount of people celebrating the loss of a major gaming tradition for others is a bad look. I really dont understand hating a convention that much.
E3 isn't made less, other studios and games will get more of a focus without Sony hogging it. Devolver Digital got a bigger focus last year for example.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
"We have great respect for the ESA as an organization, but we do not feel the vision of E3 2020 is the right venue for what we are focused on this year." .
lol why?
I know they have to stick to the traditional PR speech, but lord is that weird to see presented in an earnest fashion.

And then I scrolled down to read the rest of the OP. lol
Still, this is a bit sad. Last year it felt like E3 finally actually was in the process of dying, as had been prophesied for so many years. E3 2020 seemed like it was going to be the last hurrah with these console launches, but now it'll probably just kind of be a "hurr." Hopefully not a whimper.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I really don't care if E3 dies, since I'm sure Nintendo will give us our regularly scheduled direct around that time regardless.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Since this happened, when Kotaku were giving their predictions (which were purely predictions and not based on knowledge), Jason also said that he thinks another big publisher will bow out of E3 this year as well. So this could only be the beginning of the bad news for the show this year.

Nov 11, 2017
kotaku.com

E3 Expo Leaks The Personal Information Of Over 2,000 Journalists [Update]

A spreadsheet containing the contact information and personal addresses of over 2,000 games journalists, editors, and other content creators was recently found to have been published and publicly accessible on the website of the E3 Expo.

Among other reasons.
This was an accident and they apologized for this action, while inexcusable it isn't worse then Sony themselves allowing millions of users CC information to be exposed on psn

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
I mean, we have Ubi, EA, MS, and other third parties, no? Calling it dead cause Sony....maybe if all you care about are Sony exclusives, lol

While we have our events during the same time period as E3, we're not usually part of E3 (unless we're partnering with some first party) and our venue has so far been located quite a bit far away from E3. Technically Microsoft is in the same boat as we are. They do have their events, even very close to the actual E3 venue, but they are in an entirely separate building nowadays. :)

E3 does not know what it wants to be nowadays. Gamescom is much better suited in that regard, where everything on the showfloor is built with the fans in mind, and there are separate locations to conduct all the business-related activities. That's what the show organisers sell from the ground up. With E3, it is a lot more mixed and over the place, especially now with the introduction of the public tickets for the event.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

The whole point of E3 is the first-party conferences, honestly. I don't have any interest in watching EA babble about how great FIFA is at bringing people together for 9 minutes or listening to Todd Howard lie his ass off about one of his projects again.

If Sony isn't gonna show up, there really isn't a point in E3 at all, at least for me since I won't be there in person playing the demos.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully, Gamescom can fill up the space of E3 (i.e. a large game event in the summer) or at least I can watch the live stream without losing sleep xD.

dynamitejim

Oct 25, 2017
What "hundreds of consumer events" are they even talking about? I don't think all the global gaming related trade shows/expos out there total one hundred. ~10 months to launch and they haven't even revealed the thing yet. The reveals for this coming gen feel pretty crappy to be honest.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
So is Sony still gonna have a space or are they gonna pull a Microsoft? If not, I think we'll see something by Spring.

What "hundreds of consumer events" are they even talking about? I don't think all the global gaming related trade shows/expos out there total one hundred. ~10 months to launch and they haven't even revealed the thing yet. The reveals for this coming gen feel pretty crappy to be honest.

Paris, Gamescom, Tokyo are the other big ones plus if they are going to PAX, maaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnn.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also considering how many developers have come out and commented about how much undue stress and crunch having to create demos and videos and vertical slices for this single, yearly event was creating, and how maybe this will create an atmosphere where publishers are more likely to control the timing of their own game reveals and announcements, on their own time, you'd think some more of you would be all for and end to those days.
Anybody Who have not watched God of War 2 documentary should do so. You can just feel the pressure the devs are put under by seeing it.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
So, what does ESA stand for other than European Space Agency? And what do you guys mean by "arrogant Sony is back"?