• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Acido

Oct 31, 2017
Eh, announcements are the only exciting thing from E3 and they can stream that from their bathroom if they want.

Big Boss

Oct 27, 2017
Oh well, I use to love E3 back in the day but I don't really care now. Just as long as they have a way to present to me their upcoming products 🤷🏿‍♂️

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Since this happened, when Kotaku were giving their predictions (which were purely predictions and not based on knowledge), Jason also said that he thinks another big publisher will bow out of E3 this year as well. So this could only be the beginning of the bad news for the show this year.

Ubisoft maybe? Their conference last year was utterly godawful, and considering the poor sales of their recent releases, Yves & Co. might want to bow out for the foreseeable future.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
So many on this board owns Pachter an apology..

Lol

And people saying Sony are scared of Microsoft? The ps5 logo reveal at CES made more press than xbox series x reveal at an awards show.. just think about that for a moment..

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Also considering how many developers have come out and commented about how much undue stress and crunch having to create demos and videos and vertical slices for this single, yearly event was creating, and how maybe this will create an atmosphere where publishers are more likely to control the timing of their own game reveals and announcements, on their own time, you'd think some more of you would be all for and end to those days.
I also wonder how costly E3 is for a short event.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
So after the February event, when would we see the PS5 next? I wonder if they will have another press conference of their own after the rumored Feb PS5 event. I imagine they won't just have the Feb event and then release more info in just a state of play. If it were to be done with state of plays, I imagine we would get a Massive PS5 state of play after the Feb event.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I mean yeah Keanu became a meme but I'm not sure the extent to which its tied to Microsoft. And they aren't purely going to announce the PS5 via a State of Play.

It's not just Keanu, seeing DMC 5 devs being excited for announcement, how many people would know who Ikumi Nakamura is without her E3 moment and so on. You can't do that in State of Play / Nintendo Direct video where everything is directed.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
Curious. Who else is skipping E3 and why is it supossedly dying?

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois
This was an accident and they apologized for this action, while inexcusable it isn't worse then Sony themselves allowing millions of users CC information to be exposed on psn

giphy.gif

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Of course they're not going to announce the PS5 reveal event yet. It goes against their MO of drip feeding information so they're always in the news.

Announce you're not going to E3, get some buzz. Wait a couple weeks, announce event, get more buzz and more prediction articles. Wait a couple more weeks, have a State of Play. A couple weeks later, PS5 event. And so on and so on.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I think the biggest hit is that means only MS will have 1 guaranteed event for non-media members to play next gen games before launch.

Having Sony their with the PS5 to let people get their hands on the updated controller and see whatever games they had ready for a demo really would have been the biggest thing with E3 being public and this being the 2 year that there's a new generation of hardware available for the first time.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
User Banned (1 day): platform warring, account in junior phase
The amount of people celebrating the loss of a major gaming tradition for others is a bad look. I really dont understand hating a convention that much.

It's because Sony is doing it, and we're in the heat of a new console war.

This is a straight-up tragedy, honestly. And acting like Sony is doing it #forthejournalists is straight up disingenuous.

Bish_Bosch

Apr 30, 2018
It's not just Keanu, seeing DMC 5 devs being excited for announcement, how many people would know who Ikumi Nakamura is without her E3 moment and so on. You can't do that in State of Play / Nintendo Direct video where everything is directed.

I mean there will still be live gaming events and presentations just not at platforms that endanger journalists.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
kotaku.com

E3 Expo Leaks The Personal Information Of Over 2,000 Journalists [Update]

A spreadsheet containing the contact information and personal addresses of over 2,000 games journalists, editors, and other content creators was recently found to have been published and publicly accessible on the website of the E3 Expo.

Among other reasons.

So, assuming this is the whole story. It appears that this was negligence on ESA's part. The file was on their server, but certainly not intentionally "leaked" as people have put it. They either depended on security via hiding (bad) or someone on their dev team made a terrible mistake.

That shit happens (as someone in tech - a lot, unfortunately). But unless I'm missing more detail, I dont see how E3/ESA meant to harm journalists.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Considering E3 *unintentionally* doxed three years of journalist information I would want to get the fuck out too.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I think people underestimate how much gaming has grown since the old E3 stage presentations where everyone wore baggy jeans and did awkward stage demos.

Gaming is mainstream now. You don't need a dedicated Expo for it. Platform holders can have a presentation whenever they want, and millions of people will watch, stream, react, and share.

Rösti

Oct 25, 2017
So, assuming this is the whole story. It appears that this was negligence on ESA's part. The file was on their server, but certainly not intentionally "leaked" as people have put it. They either depended on security via hiding (bad) or someone on their dev team made a terrible mistake.

That shit happens (as someone in tech - a lot, unfortunately). But unless I'm missing more detail, I dont see how E3/ESA meant to harm journalists.
It was definitely not security via hiding, the file was exposed in plain view.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Who is saying there won't be events? Why do you assume only State of Plays from here until launch?

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
Lets all relax folks. We all KNOW Sony will have or be at some event where they will announce things because we all know they have things to announce.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California

I'm sorry - but intent doesn't matter here. The fact that this happened going *several* years back, and gaming already has an issue with Gamers™ wanting to harrass (and maybe worse) game journos, it's gross negligence at best.

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
Sony is always more low-key than others. Do you remember lead ups to E3 where they were silent while the other companies were feeding hype? Or look at how the handled the acquisition of Insomniac. They simply just announced it, no big show or anything. Even though it was obviously a big deal. And when they announced the PS Meeting in 2013 they just tossed this up on their Youtube

Despite all the "arrogant Sony" memes, they're generally pretty low-key about how they handle things.

I prefer low-key for all announcements in general. We don't need big shows, reveals, skits, or pointless filler to announce games or buying game companies. Just write a post on twitter or put out a statement. I'm absolutely sick of the childish way of showing games. It's fucking products, not a children's show.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I don't care about E3, Sony skipping makes my job easier.

I just want to know the date for PlayStation Meeting 2020.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
I get E3 is a gaming tradition, but they should be gone after what happened last year, it put a lot of people at risk to put it lightly. People really need to stop defending the ESA.

Feb 26, 2018
Maybe they canceled or moved ps5?
It makes sense after that XsX reveal destroying anything Sony is going for with PS5

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
It would be cool if they got their own building nearby or something at least. E3 was Christmas for gamers. It's just sad they ain't gonna be there again. Their own events have never been close to as good as their E3 shows IMO. Sony always knocked it out of the park.

There own shows can be better now that they don't have to go to E3.
E3 used to suck up content and i much rather Sony do back PSX .