• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Foot traffic is the least important part about what E3 does. Its about the general media coverage and the boom of online viewership. An event like this is covered by the media in a way that gets the attention of super-casuals and its even sometimes talked about on local news stations or cable news channels, etc. I'm not saying Sony can't replicate viewership in other ways, such as dropping its own presentations and info videos, but E3 serves you up an audience on a platter. And it gets the attention of people outside of gaming circles.

Here is a quote from a response article at GameIndustry.biz..... and keep in mind these are stats from 2018-2019 shows, which would likely pale in comparison to the attention brought to a potential E3 2020 with new consoles launching.

"The numbers speak for themselves. According to Fancensus, over 70 million people watched E3-related Cyberpunk 2077 videos on YouTube, 37 million watched Marvel's Avengers footage and 24 million enjoyed Watch Dogs Legion YouTube coverage. If you compare that to Gamescom-tagged coverage, probably E3's biggest rival, the most viewed game from that show was Marvel's Avengers, which generated just under 9.2 million views. And, in the past, PlayStation has dominated E3. In 2018, Sony's products attracted just shy of 80 million views on YouTube (again Fancensus data) during E3, just under 10 million more than Nintendo and almost 55 million more than Microsoft." (https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-01-13-is-playstation-right-to-leave-e3)

It's important to this conversation because it's a big reason why Sony isn't attending. As the article notes, Sony is one of the companies that wants E3 to become more of a consumer show. The ESA continues to drag its feet on the issue so Sony walked. They voiced their displeasure for the direction E3 has been taken back in 2017. So they're looking at it from the perspective of those who're attending. I don't think they're concerned about generating hype for their shows or games for those that can't attend. The hype leading up to the 2013 PS Meeting shows they have no problem doing that. And with them checking out of E3, it immediately puts a lot more attention on any other show that they do.

HeavenlyE

Oct 27, 2017
They'll probably still have an event in the summer time even better if it's the same week as E3

Don't know why they're always so comfortable just letting bad news hang out there though when I'm assuming they have a decent replacement for their E3 conference, guess arrogant Sony back at it again /s

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
I understand Sony's strategy here, but it does really suck that E3 will never be that communal 'event' likely ever again.

I'm going to miss those times where E3 was one of my most anticipated events of the year.

Japi

Banned
Oct 14, 2019
This does not inspire confidence in Sony in 2020. Might skip the PS5 (actually only bought the PS4 for Bloodborne anyway).
So you buy a ps console to watch E3? Or to play games? Because ps2020 lineup is the best in ps entire history at this point, both exclusive and third party along with new hardware on the way as well as goddall, but no, you're not confident in "sony 2020" because they wont be at e3? lol wow, just wow.

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017
That's okay in my book, they'll have other venues to announce their stuff. The ESA has been doing questionable stuff lately so fuck'em.

What's curious to me is that the PS twitter account has been silent for a day now. Another announcement incoming soon or are they just waiting for this news to blow over until they can announce the PS Meeting date?

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
Not crazy about this. I don't think they good a job making up for no E3 this year. State of Play has just not been great.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Why is it so hard to say "See you next month"? Unless this announcement is very soon, I don't see a reason why'd you do that.

Announce no E3 showing - lots of shouting and screaming on the internet - "see you next month" gets diluted/lost

let this die downand then when you announce a ps meeting, it gets its own news cycle

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Just split the diff and do a conference in like April, with all of your demos, instead of splitting them between two conferences.

DGS

Nov 2, 2017
Tyrol
Last year's E3 was boring without Sony and Microsoft's show was not the breakthrough many fans have hoped for - like any year before, just another Show with Keanu Reeves as a highlight. So, I'm not looking forward to this year's E3.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Not crazy about this. I don't think they good a job making up for no E3 this year. State of Play has just not been great.

They can bring out PSX to replace E3 without a problem but I agree that they have to reformulate State of Play, it's terrible as it is right now because it creates tons of hype and ends up being 20 minutes which is simple not enough.

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Recalled GT E3'15 episode and was sad for a split second...before realizing E3 has nothing to do with it.

Bring on the next PS meeting!

StrykerIsland

Oct 25, 2017
This is massively disappointing. My favourite time of year is watching E3 and it just isn't the same without Sony there. ;(

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Are they gonna have an event right before launch?

Pretty stupid to limit the exposure of a new console they're trying to market.
I don't know how you can make that leap. It's 2020, E3 might just be the most antiquated delivery method for a platform there could be at this point.

E3 needs Sony several times more than Sony needs E3. Sony can command an audience any time they want.

Of course they're going to have multiple events and ways to showcase their new product.

For as forward thinking as this forum's game discussion can be, the infatuation with E3 being the best time and place to talk about your product is pretty odd

Jun 26, 2018
I'm pretty over the whole E3 thing... I just watch the trailers I'm interested in once the whole thing is done anyways, I don't need to watch executives on stage jerking themselves off about how great their companies are.

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
Are Sony not doing E3 because the PS5 isn't going to be as powerful as the XSX and they don't want to go up against Microsoft directly?

Seems a strange decision in a launch year, but I understand the issues they have with E3 too.

Oct 30, 2017
Are Sony not doing E3 because the PS5 isn't going to be as powerful as the XSX and they don't want to go up against Microsoft directly?

Seems a strange decision in a launch year, but I understand the issues they have with E3 too.

Off course not… I think MS will also exit in a few years time.

Apparently Sony has a dispute with ESA and doesn't bother anymore with showing up. They'll have their own show.

immortal-joe

Oct 25, 2017
I think we may be dealing with a situation where there just aren't big stage shows for them. They could continue using other outlets and media entities to release the info they need, like they had done with the Wired article last year.

Your "PS Meeting" may literally be a tweet linking to a media piece with a video.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
Again it's a bad look when your direct competitor already showed the console and you only showed a logo.
Once again none of that matters, all that matters is the product and the games. Like you know Sonys going to have multiple state of plays throughout the year, they'll be at most of the other trade shows, and most likely have a PS meeting type event. They'll probably tour the world with the PS5 like they always do for New consoles.

Like you're not going to care about this once we get announcements.....so why waste the energy?

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Again it's a bad look when your direct competitor already showed the console and you only showed a logo.

The Logo did more buzz than everything MS has shown until now. Sony is is doing a perfect job at the moment. Some of you need to think outside of the ERA bubble. The normal customer isn't browsing RE Threads everyday in hope to find some Leaks about the new Consoles. They don't give a shit about that. They'll start giving two shits as soon as the console is revealed. 6 Months in advance is plenty enough lol.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not a bad look as long as they bring the goods when they officially unveil the PlayStation 5. Nintendo released a trailer for Switch less than five months before it launched. They fully revealed the hardware and their launch plans six weeks before launch. If Sony has great things to show, they don't need to be in any rush to unveil their plans.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Do we know what Sony's issue(s) are or were with E3? Is it just that they wanted to have their own event when the timing is better for them, or did they have other issues with the ESA or E3?

I understand Sony's strategy here, but it does really suck that E3 will never be that communal 'event' likely ever again.

I'm going to miss those times where E3 was one of my most anticipated events of the year.
Yep, same. It was the big event to look forward to as a gamer, I used to book at least a day or two off work to be able to watch all of the conferences, since Sony were always at about 2am here.

GreenEarth

alt account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019
It's not a bad look that they're following their own plan for how they want to reveal things. At this point of the year in 2013 you knew zero official stuff about the PS4, everything was rumours. You already know a bunch of official stuff about the PS5 from the two Wired interviews last year.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
Sadly I don't think those Youtube videos are a good replacement for a E3 conference. I want those audience and live reactions, that was the best part. Hoping they'll host something similar to PSX instead.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I'll say this purely as a European and due to the usual time Sony had their E³ event ... nothing of value was lost.

At a point where i don't fancy getting up or staying awake until some 3am in the night for this stuff. MS and Nintendo always had better air times.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Do we know what Sony's issue(s) are or were with E3? Is it just that they wanted to have their own event when the timing is better for them, or did they have other issues with the ESA or E3?

Yep, same. It was the big event to look forward to as a gamer, I used to book at least a day or two off work to be able to watch all of the conferences, since Sony were always at about 2am here.
Shawn Layden talked about some issues they have/had last year.
www.gamesindustry.biz

Shawn Layden: "The world has changed, but E3 hasn't necessarily changed with it"

Sony's absence from E3 in 2019, though speculated as a bit of a buffer year while the company prepares for something mu…

Jun 23, 2019

A bad look when your competitor showed a whole case and trailer, yet an IG posting of a logo got over 5 million likes and became the most liked gaming IG post of all time in a matter of hours? You underestimate the hype behind the PS5.