• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
E3 has always been an amazing time of year as someone who enjoys videogames. I haven't owned a playstation this gen but I have still enjoyed there presentations.

This is sad to see that Sony look to be skipping this E3 and are more than likely skipping all future ones too.

Let's hope that in there absence there is still lots of great news, presentations and entertainment.

Jun 23, 2019
Announcing a console and only show the logo? That's one approach!
giphy.gif

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes well, they showed a pc case.

It's called marketing.
Once again none of that matters, all that matters is the product and the games. Like you know Sonys going to have multiple state of plays throughout the year, they'll be at most of the other trade shows, and most likely have a PS meeting type event. They'll probably tour the world with the PS5 like they always do for New consoles.

Like you're not going to care about this once we get announcements.....so why waste the energy?

That doesn't mean that Microsoft will just stay still. Why let the bad news out and not cover it with a PS Meeting date announcement
A logo which gained more traction…
The Logo did more buzz than everything MS has shown until now. Sony is is doing a perfect job at the moment. Some of you need to think outside of the ERA bubble. The normal customer isn't browsing RE Threads everyday in hope to find some Leaks about the new Consoles. They don't give a shit about that. They'll start giving two shits as soon as the console is revealed. 6 Months in advance is plenty enough lol.

That's debatable
It's not a bad look as long as they bring the goods when they officially unveil the PlayStation 5. Nintendo released a trailer for Switch less than five months before it launched. They fully revealed the hardware and their launch plans six weeks before launch. If Sony has great things to show, they don't need to be in any rush to unveil their plans.

Nintendo are doing their own thing. Not the same when have a direct competitor you should be one step ahead of
It's not a bad look that they're following their own plan for how they want to reveal things. At this point of the year in 2013 you knew zero official stuff about the PS4, everything was rumours. You already know a bunch of official stuff about the PS5 from the two Wired interviews last year.

We'll have to see but they should announce the PS Meeting date soon.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
I can see why it's happening but it still makes me sad to see the decline of e3. Growing up and to this day it's remained a tradition among me and my friends to watch and follow E3. It really is basically 'Video Game Christmas'.

Someone needs to find and preserve the E3 Bear.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was bummed last year, but now i'm not even bummed anymore. I'm expecting a PS Meeting soonish and a big PSX like event somewhere around E3, which is just as exciting to me.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
It's called marketing.

That doesn't mean that Microsoft will just stay still. Why let the bad news out and not cover it with a PS Meeting date announcement

That's debatable

Nintendo are doing their own thing. Not the same when have a direct competitor you should be one step ahead of

Well it's bad news to you, but it doesn't really matter to most people. Like I'm sorry, but they know this that's why they're doing this. Like all that matters is they make good product with good games. Why they choose not to announce an event, because they know they have all y'all by the balls. the idea that people even make a big deal about that means that they have you guys by the balls.

PowerBar

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I believe that interview took place in February of last year (the interview with CNET?). He would had been talking about 2020 when he was talking about what was in store for the next year. We are only 14 days into 2020.

hmm you could be right, I thought this it interview was late 2018, but I can find an SIE statement not from Shawn Layden from that period. But we still don't really see their new strategy, right? I know we only 14 days in, but last year was a kind of a bummer to me with how they handled communication. Let's see what happens.

gadwin

Nov 1, 2017
Oh FFS. I miss spending a couple of days of work watching E3 live with friends. Sony was always the highlight. If they won't do it in their freaking console launch year then I guess there are no hope for the foreseeable future either. Such a shame.

This probably means we won't get a PS Meeting before april/ may or so at the earliest. I guess they will combine two conferences into one, but without the E3 spectacle.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
It's called marketing.

That's debatable

If we are talking general public consens, no...it's not really debatable.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Deja Vu.

The same overwroughting and endtimes reactions happened about the same time LAST YEAR

Please continue people..........

*Grab popcorns*

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
It's a major bummer for me. I loved Sony's E3 presentations, and always thought they put in the extra work for the fans and the sheer spectacle of it all. They grabbed the headlines, and really got in to fans' good graces with those conferences. It seemed like they were having fun at the top.

Now they seem to hold their cards really close to their chest, barely drip-feeding any sort of information, like what they have with the PS5 is some sort of revelation. Maybe it is, I guess we'll see.

I think the thing that really makes me bummed is the trade off for those awful State Of Plays they do. They have the perfect example in Nintendo to improve upon. Nintendo directs are fun; full of surprises with great trailers and editing. Sony's SOP is akin to a Power Point presentation at 11:30am before lunch. It's so conservative and stuffy.

I want my fun Sony back.

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking as an end point fan in this, it's a real bummer personally. I totally appreciate why so many publishers are leaving e3, both simple modern reality and mismanagement on part of the esa, but I've always really enjoyed e3. I like to write up a little schedule and pin it up for my kid and we order food in etc and make a few days of it. So it was really nice to have all these big giants centralised to be able to do that.

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
Sucks but so does the ESA. As long as the ESA is involved with E3, then it can die for all I care. This is the ESA's fault.

p3n

Oct 28, 2017
Last year's E3 came and went without any impact whatsoever. I think E3 will be dead before the end of the next console generation.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
This does suck. More events = more hassle for us. I hate flying as is so it stresses me out. Hopefully there will be plenty of European events.

Either way, the Sony of 2020 is a very different company compared to 2013.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I get so hyped for E3 TBH, just speaking personally. it's an exciting time and celebration of Video games IMO.

Sony need to announce what they will be doing instead.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
It's a major bummer for me. I loved Sony's E3 presentations, and always thought they put in the extra work for the fans and the sheer spectacle of it all. They grabbed the headlines, and really got in to fans' good graces with those conferences. It seemed like they were having fun at the top.

Now they seem to hold their cards really close to their chest, barely drip-feeding any sort of information, like what they have with the PS5 is some sort of revelation. Maybe it is, I guess we'll see.

I think the thing that really makes me bummed is the trade off for those awful State Of Plays they do. They have the perfect example in Nintendo to improve upon. Nintendo directs are fun; full of surprises with great trailers and editing. Sony's SOP is akin to a Power Point presentation at 11:30am before lunch. It's so conservative and stuffy.

I want my fun Sony back.

"extra work for the fans"...2018 was hilariously bad and the people watching this at home had nothing from this presentation at all. the idea was stupid and the execution just awkward.

or 2017 where they had these people dressed like zombies hanging from the ceiling for Days Gone...it was really bad

no, they didn´t do extra work for the fans at all, it is a freaking advertisement show and they did their advertisements mostly much too early this gen. no one needs shows where games are shown that aren´t out for 2-3 years and/or execs on stage hyping their company with some randon numbers. drop a trailer, game is out in 6 months and that is good enough for me.

my opinion: good riddance e3

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
"extra work for the fans"...2018 was hillariously bad and the people watching this at home had nothing from this presentation at all. the idea was stupid and the execution just awkward

or 2017 where they had these people dressed like zombies hanging from the ceiling for Days Gone...it was really bad

no, they didn´t do extra work for the fans at all, it is a freaking advertisement show and they did their advertisements mostly much too early this gen. no one needs shows where games are shown that aren´t out for 2-3 years.

my opinion: good riddance e3

I guess I was thinking more of the 2016 and 2017 shows. 2018's conference wasn't great, I agree.

And yeah, it's all about advertising, but things like the orchestra were so fun and over the top. I really enjoyed it.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
This does suck. More events = more hassle for us. I hate flying as is so it stresses me out. Hopefully there will be plenty of European events.

Either way, the Sony of 2020 is a very different company compared to 2013.

think you should be more happy? SIE of 2020 seems to be more Euro-centric than ever.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Was expected that it gets crazy when two new consoles launch simultaneously. The hot takes are already getting good.
"Are Sony not doing E3 because the PS5 isn't going to be as powerful as the XSX and they don't want to go up against Microsoft directly?" Whew.

It's going to get ugly here isn't it?

Have fond memories of some crazy E3s but that times change is understandable.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Their last hardware launch was the PS4 Pro which, if you remember, was a very dry tech discussion with Mark Carney.

Hopefully there's a bit more excitement at whatever they decide to do for for the PS5 launch! 😄

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
With the personal information leaks and this news, I wonder how the event will be covered this year. Are most outlets just gonna do conference reactions at home and fly in for a day or two and then leave?

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well it's bad news to you, but it doesn't really matter to most people. Like I'm sorry, but they know this that's why they're doing this. Like all that matters is they make good product with good games. Why they choose not to announce an event, because they know they have all y'all by the balls. the idea that people even make a big deal about that means that they have you guys by the balls.

Damn it they do.