• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Sep 11, 2018
These are exciting times. It really makes me wonder how Sony will market the PS5 up until launch. While I understand people being upset that they don't have their favourite holiday anymore, it makes sense for a company to pull out of a convention that doesn't align with their vision for what E3 should be for them and their audiences.

I just hope that everyone just takes a deep breath, step back, and wait until Sony makes a move.

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019
Whilst having a big Christmas dinner of E3 stuff is great it's been pretty clear that there is no real need for it. Marketing and audience engagement has changed dramatically in the last decade. Sony and Nintendo are just moving with the times on that.

Nintendo have shown that they can create a lot of hype with well spaced directs throughout the year. Sony realised this and knew that social media will do the leg work for their wired interviews etc.

Sony will still formally reveal the PS5 at their own event, we will all tune in and nothing will be lost.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Was expected that it gets crazy when two new consoles launch simultaneously. The hot takes are already getting good.
"Are Sony not doing E3 because the PS5 isn't going to be as powerful as the XSX and they don't want to go up against Microsoft directly?" Whew.

It's going to get ugly here isn't it?

Have fond memories of some crazy E3s but that times change is understandable.

I actually think people are just bummed they won't have another brand workship moment with E3 anymore...since no one will "Win E3" now.
That's what's pissing people off. Not the fact Sony won't be there.
There's plenty of ways to announce games and consoles.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
The question is: will they have a conference at around E3 time or will they just skip this timeframe and forgo any announcements / showings / presentations. The latter would be a huge mistake IMO.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
The question is: will they have a conference at around E3 time or will they just skip this timeframe and forgo any announcements / showings / presentations. The latter would be a huge mistake IMO.
I think before and then they'll have a PS5 world tour in the summer and up to release, letting people play PS5 stuff.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
What if Sony wants XBOX to have the E3 floor in order to present Series X price tag, so they can pull a "Family guy - The price is right" on them?

2020-01-14_12-01-12d4kwr.png

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
As someone who thoroughly enjoyed these conferences, and the spectacle that E3 was in having 2-3 days of dedicated press conferences/media briefings, this move is disappointing.

However, I did not expect Sony to magically return a year after having skipped E3 completely without that decision having really hurt them. Considering some of the blunders the ESA has been making over the last while, notwithstanding the terrible data leak from last year, and the decision to make it harder for the press to do their job, which was the main point of E3 for a good period of time due to opening it up to the public.

The decision isn't really a terrible one, and one that can easily be understood. It doesn't really matter if you get your message across E3 or some other show as long as you do and in some meaningful and impactful way. They can hold their own event where the spotlight is solely on them, and on their own terms that do not have to fall in line with the demands of the ESA.

They have ample opportunity to show us what they're working on for next-gen, they have ~11 months to do so coming up to the approximate launch timeframe for PS5. Not showing up at E3 won't really be a big deal, much like last year.

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
As i said in the other thread, it makes zero sense to do this. They were succesful with PS4 and received a lot of positive buzz due to their E3 conferences, especially in the first few years of PS4. I see no reason whatsover to change that. In fact, Sony's PR in 2019 made no sense at all and the small PS5 reveals in news articles so far made little sense either. It seems somebody at Sony is trying very hard to not replicate the succes they had with PS4.

iceatcs

Oct 30, 2017
Not surprised, The 1st party developers want it to stop due to pressure on deadline. Sony listens to them more than ESA.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
As i said in the other thread, it makes zero sense to do this. They were succesful with PS4 and received a lot of positive buzz due to their E3 conferences, especially in the first few years of PS4. I see no reason whatsover to change that. In fact, Sony's PR in 2019 made no sense at all and the small PS5 reveals in news articles so far made little sense either. It seems somebody at Sony is trying very hard to not replicate the succes they had with PS4.
Maybe they don't expect a positive buzz this time?

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
What if Sony didn't reveal some specs until close launch? Are we considering that possibility? They could actually afford it.

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What if Sony wants XBOX to have the E3 floor in order to present Series X price tag, so they can pull a "Family guy - The price is right" on them?

2020-01-14_12-01-12d4kwr.png

It's not a switch they flip.

Not surprised, The 1st party developers want it to stop due to pressure on deadline. Sony listens to them more than ESA.

Then skip the presentation not E3 entirely. Even Nintendo have a booth. I think it's most likely disagreements with ESA.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Well, last year they skipped the show and.... Nothing happened besides the usual whining vocal minority in forums and Twitter.
So skipping this year makes even more sense, regardless of Sony's issues with ESA, not having to stick to a fixed date to do 'something' just because there' s the show. They can have their own plans with their next generation strategy and also not stealing time from their studios just to make stages demos is good enough. And while less important, skip the 'who won E3' crap talk.

PadPoet

Lead Community Manager at Socialpoint
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Barcelona
E3 has become very costly for companies, even for the likes of someone like Sony. I'm guessing they are not seeing any ROI for the money, time and overall investment they are putting into the whole E3 show.

Felt weird being there last year and witnessing the room PlayStation used to occupy being used as a storage space facility.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I actually think people are just bummed they won't have another brand workship moment with E3 anymore...since no one will "Win E3" now.
That's what's pissing people off. Not the fact Sony won't be there.
There's plenty of ways to announce games and consoles.

Yeah I think this it really. And explains alot of the post claiming Sony is worried about being overshadowed at E3.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lmao I can't help but laugh at how invested in this some people are. Like their world has turned upside down knowing that E3 may either be no more or never the same again. Yeah, sure, I have awesome memories of it too, but y'all are so exaggerated in your concerns for how you're going to get information about games you're interested in, or more generally the news.

Y'all have had the internet for decades now. It's like some of you forgot Google and YouTube exists. Y'all can't be inconvenienced to do an iota of research into the things you like. "I need E3 to present 95% of everything I'm interested in." You people are also on a GAMING ENTHUSIAST FORUM, yet you're worried about this? Get with the times, holy crap.

Edit: I still haven't read through the entire thread but I'm also seeing posts of people thinking this is a sign of Sony in disarray? As if this has any bearing on whether they're ready with PS5? LMAO Y'all think they're experiencing some internal turmoil and aren't going to have anything to show going into the holidays 2020? Worse yet are the people that think because Sony won't be at E3, it's inconceivable that they'll disseminate PS5 news and information through any other medium. Nope, they won't make an announcement whatsoever. They can't do a State of Play, their own event, their own YouTube channel - none of it. They're relegated to shadow dropping the console without telling the public anything about it because they missed their only shot with E3!

What is wrong with y'all?

Drbeckman

Nov 9, 2017
E3 will be fine, like last year. Plenty of games from Microsoft and Nintendo.
The Sony Conference was unwatchable anyway for Europeans.

What a weird decision before the launch of a new console... Something's wrong with Sony lately.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
90% who bought PS4 don't know what E3 is. They watch trailers on youtube. E3 just make sense for hardcore fans.

Harris Katz

Apr 9, 2018
Interesting move by Sony in a new console release year, considering the attention and exposure that E3 traditionally provided... I guess in today's 24/7 online media/news cycle, it doesn't matter anyway. I mean, most watch E3 online and get the highlights from their favorite website and blogs anyway. Plus, the gaming press, and even mainstream press, report on every move Sony makes anyway -- for free! Does a "stage" like E3 do anything in addition, other than cost Sony millions of dollars, which could be better spent on advertising.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
I was hoping Sony would blunt the news with an announcement for Playstation meeting. This is getting really annoying with the radio silence.

5olid_5nake

Oct 30, 2017
Kinda sad to be honest, I thought they were going all guns blazing this E3. I just love all the madness that E3 gives and last year they were sorely missed.

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
I'm disappointed that they are not there, and it think its a mistake on there part. When the e3 news starts rolling in and the resetera e3 threads start hitting, there will be regret in not seeing Sony E3 news.

Shudouken

Jun 19, 2019
I actually like this a lot.
Gives them the freedom of just announcing what they want, instead of feeling obliged to fill a 1 hour slot with games that are 2 or more years away.
I went to Gamescom once and if going to E3 is anything like that, I'd rather pass.
There's plenty of local smaller events where you can play the same demos without massive wait times or entrance fees.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm disappointed that they are not there, and it think its a mistake on there part. When the e3 news starts rolling in and the resetera e3 threads start hitting, there will be regret in not seeing Sony E3 news.
It won't matter as soon as they have an event it will be huge. It doesn't matter if it's at e3 or not

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to the reveal event, expecting big 3rd party blow out too. C'mon Ryan.

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Thank fuck, it always sucked that Europe got screwed every year with the 2am Sony conferences. Hopefully they'll do there own event this year at an earlier time slot so more of us can watch it live.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
If this means developers don't have to rush demos out to meet E3 deadlines, and can show this at their own pace that I'm all for this decision. We don't need a reserved week for announcements as Nintendo Directs have proven.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
If this means developers don't have to rush demos out to meet E3 deadlines, and can show this at their own pace that I'm all for this decision. We don't need a reserved week for announcements as Nintendo Directs have proven.

Won't they still have to prepare demos/presentations for whenever the reveal event is?

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
For clarification.....

Does this mean that there will be zero sony presence at E3 at all? no show floor space, no demos, nothing? or they just wont put on the annual conference we are expecting?

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
No presence at all. Only Microsoft and Nintendo.

Wow......

ok that is not cool at all. Its one thing to not have a "show" due to the competitive nature and potential bad press due to the standoff nature E3 presents between Microsoft and Sony.....but to not have anything at all? this is rather bold.

The pesimest side of me thinks things are not shaping up too well on the PS5 front. I mean the assumption has been Sony was preparing for E3 2020. The last two years were lacklaster from them and this would be their redemption, an abondance of announcements and reveals. If this was true then they would show up, and overshadow their competition on the big stage.

The only issue now is that the big stage is still there. and their competition will still show up. I just dont know, im getting a weird vibe from the playstation side of things here. I felt this way with xbox one during the initial rumors and reveals ( obviously to a much larger extent ) and something just feels not right this time around with the PS5.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017

They'll send a guy in a crash suit with a megaphone to taunt them from the convention center parking lot.