• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
E3 has become very costly for companies, even for the likes of someone like Sony. I'm guessing they are not seeing any ROI for the money, time and overall investment they are putting into the whole E3 show.

Felt weird being there last year and witnessing the room PlayStation used to occupy being used as a storage space facility.

My biggest problem with Sony skipping E3 isn't with putting their first parties at another show, but rather not giving a place for third parties to show their stuff. The vast majority of games sold on their system come from third parties and it seems like they're hanging third parties out to dry by not giving them a place to show, when everybody else will be showing their games.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
My biggest problem with Sony skipping E3 isn't with putting their first parties at another show, but rather not giving a place for third parties to show their stuff. The vast majority of games sold on their system come from third parties and it seems like they're hanging third parties out to dry by not giving them a place to show, when everybody else will be showing their games.
There are other shows and ways to showcase third party content.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
There are other shows and ways to showcase third party content.

Sure, but everybody will be at E3. The press (I suppose this includes influencers), the public and millions watching from home. E3, even as poorly managed as it has recently become, is still THE gaming show for the industry.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Was hoping they'd announce something today to kind of give us an idea of what's coming now that they'll be a no show at E3. Welp...

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
As expected people here are over reacting on something that 98% of gamers world wide do not care about

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If they have a PS Meeting and a PSX every year (hell, even State of Plays) then you have a place where 3rd parties can show their stuff.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I dunno there are tons of indie games I wouldn't have seen if not either A.) Personally being at PAX when it comes to TX or B.) a nintendo/Nindie direct.

If Sony/MS continue to push their other content they'll get seen. I don't really think E3 is the only way to do that anymore and I think the console makers and pubs are catching on. I hope it results in even more visibility because it's not limited by having to have tiny dev teams have playable builds, presence at the cons, etc. They can just make their game and Sony/Nintendo/MS can show it off. Or at least I hope that's how it pans out.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY

MOST third party's do their own shows. EA has their own, Bethesda does their own, Ubisoft does their own. Activision has their own event for Call of duty. Square has their own weird show.

WB is the one where they piggy back a lot, same with Capcom. But Capcom literally used State of play to show off RE3?

The Archon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
ViciousCoolGoldfish-size_restricted.gif
I finally get to see how this gif ends!

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Wow......

ok that is not cool at all. Its one thing to not have a "show" due to the competitive nature and potential bad press due to the standoff nature E3 presents between Microsoft and Sony.....but to not have anything at all? this is rather bold.

The pesimest side of me thinks things are not shaping up too well on the PS5 front. I mean the assumption has been Sony was preparing for E3 2020. The last two years were lacklaster from them and this would be their redemption, an abondance of announcements and reveals. If this was true then they would show up, and overshadow their competition on the big stage.

The only issue now is that the big stage is still there. and their competition will still show up. I just dont know, im getting a weird vibe from the playstation side of things here. I felt this way with xbox one during the initial rumors and reveals ( obviously to a much larger extent ) and something just feels not right this time around with the PS5.
They did the same last year, people who worked for Sony have been pretty public about not liking the way E3 is run since at least 2017. They will attend pretty much every other major convention like last year too most likely, their issue is with E3 as a whole, not the press conferences.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but everybody will be at E3. The press (I suppose this includes influencers), the public and millions watching from home. E3, even as poorly managed as it has recently become, is still THE gaming show for the industry.
It seems like it won't be for much longer though, It does kind of suck that Sony won't be there but I don't think it's a big deal at all and definitely won't affect much in terms of the information getting out plus with how esa basically screwed over journalists with having their information leak out, I don't see e3 being around much longer at all.

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony will show their stuff whenever they're ready. All I care about is good software and E3 has 0 influence on that.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only issue now is that the big stage is still there. and their competition will still show up. I just dont know, im getting a weird vibe from the playstation side of things here. I felt this way with xbox one during the initial rumors and reveals ( obviously to a much larger extent ) and something just feels not right this time around with the PS5.
I really don't know how anyone can feel this way when Sony has already talked multiple times about the ps5 and it's just the start of the year but I don't see how it should be that big of a deal.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
Won't they still have to prepare demos/presentations for whenever the reveal event is?
Problem is at E3 developers feel forced to put out a demo/video regardless of the stage of development - because the big companies want to have something to show off on that day. Without that fixed date, they can prepare presentations for when the game is more ready (ideally).

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
Problem is at E3 developers feel forced to put out a demo/video regardless of the stage of development - because the big companies want to have something to show off on that day. Without that fixed date, they can prepare presentations for when the game is more ready (ideally).

That is a non argument. Any Sony event will have a fixed date and pressure to prepare a demo.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

3rd parties can stand on a stage at any point not just at E3

Djavanes

Nov 15, 2017
I never saw State of Play. But I watch every E3 conference. E3 its different. People in the world know about E3. Bad move Sony, it sounds like something its not right with PS5.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
I never saw State of Play. But I watch every E3 conference. E3 its different. People in the world know about E3. Bad move Sony, it sounds like something its not right with PS5.
Because they're not attending E3?
We live in different times, a well marketed PS5 reveal livestream will attract as much (or even more watchers online all around the world, especially if it's being broadcasted at an Europe friendly time) as an E3 conference.

People will want to tune in to see what that PS5 thing is all about, it will be announced with a lot fanfare.
Y'all will get your trailers, teasers, boring presentations, announcements, moneyhats, gameplay, stupid cringeworthy moments, the whole thing. The press will be there, maybe even some fans. It will be exactly the same as the E3, just not at E3.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

Sony have shown, before, that they're perfectly capable of hosting conferences with in-person and web reach as large as their E3 conferences. I believe prior PS Meetings were of that order of scale for example - I can't recall the exact numbers, but I remember Jack Tretton gave a presentation at some marketing industry event a while after, and the PS4 reveal event was at the time by some margin their biggest event ever in terms of reach/publicity etc.

When they want to make a fuss and give third parties limelight, they can. E3 is convenient, if you're organising a conference, in terms of amortizing the cost of getting people in attendance, but if you're willing to stump the bill yourself you can.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Well that sucks a lot. E3 time was always the best gaming time in the year. I took off days from work to watch all the shows. Great times when MS, Nintendo, Sony, Ubisoft, EA, Konami, Square Enix and others all had their own shows with loads of new games entertaining shows and loads of cringe that you could share in chats and boards with others.

Everything has become so predictable and safe nowadays.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
What a terrible way to announce this. They could at least say something about their plans and not go with "hundreds of consumer events " which tells us absolutely nothing. If you are not going to do conferences anymore just say it.

Honestly Sony communication regarding PS since last year is absolute dog shit. Pretty clear there was a big shake up internally.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I strangely enjoy these drawn-out, boring conferences LOL. Specifically, the live ones. As long as Sony and Microsoft do that, I don't care when or where it happens.