• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wow......

ok that is not cool at all. Its one thing to not have a "show" due to the competitive nature and potential bad press due to the standoff nature E3 presents between Microsoft and Sony.....but to not have anything at all? this is rather bold.

The pesimest side of me thinks things are not shaping up too well on the PS5 front. I mean the assumption has been Sony was preparing for E3 2020. The last two years were lacklaster from them and this would be their redemption, an abondance of announcements and reveals. If this was true then they would show up, and overshadow their competition on the big stage.

The only issue now is that the big stage is still there. and their competition will still show up. I just dont know, im getting a weird vibe from the playstation side of things here. I felt this way with xbox one during the initial rumors and reveals ( obviously to a much larger extent ) and something just feels not right this time around with the PS5.
How were the last two years lackluster for Sony? Also, why are you worried about PS5 when they have been talking about it for a year now?

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
No we shouldn't. We shouldn't be naming these types of miniscule things after events that have major international events that have real world consequences.

Well considering that the royal family drama has been dubbed "Megxit" and everyone and their mother uses "-gate" for any sort of scandal, it's pretty fair game.

yumms

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Its a box shaped like an "X". https://www.psxhax.com/threads/late...ling-date-price-specs.7268/page-2#post-140853

latest-ps5-rumors-on-sony-playstation-5-unveiling-date-price-specs-jpg.5414

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
Looks similar to the Subor Z.

4EwImK7KVyu0UrTP.jpg

Subor-Z.jpg

Where did the image originate from? The link posted also has a bunch of fake 4chan rumors that were posted prior to the e3 announcement and mention Sony will be at e3.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Death to the confrence where I got to watch rad pressers that got me hyped for the hobby I love and then watched hilarious giant bomb rewatched and interviews all from the comfort of my comfy home...... wait why do I want this to go away again?

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I would hazard a guess that the cost of attending E3 is the equivalent of several other standalone, online events run by themselves. It's very easy to imagine why this would be a rational move for Sony.

Drencrom

Oct 25, 2017
SWE
DocH1X1 No E3 doesn't mean Sony won't have conferences ever again or a substitute event/conference this year that will be streamed and be watched by GB.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
DocH1X1 No E3 doesn't mean Sony won't have conferences ever again or a substitute event/conference this year that will be streamed and be watched by GB.
Your right but the fun of the show GB puts on is the fact it's back to back confrence watches with the entire crew (both coast). Interviews with people all over the industry (nintendo and MS and third party, not just sony). Like when giant bomb does a live watch of a state of play it's just kinda meh and only one of the coast not the full crew. Like I'm understanding more and more wanting improvements from e3 from a journalist or someone running a booth or a fan attending. But to fans watching at home remind me again why I want this epic show streaming to die?

Oct 27, 2017
United States
And to be honest, I know it's been the popular theory, but Im not 100% sold there is going to be another Playstation Meeting in February. Especially when the prevailing reason for that theory is "well that's how they did it 6 years ago". Its probably not specific to video game fans, but it feels like specifically around here people are unable to think outside of the way things always have been done. It doesn't feel like, again at least around here, there are these kinds of expectations for any other consumer/media brand, whether it's Apple or Tesla or Samsung or Marvel announcing a new slate of movies, that "it has to be done this same way because that's the way it's always been done". Like, we KNOW Sony has a Playstation 5 coming out, presumably this year. I assume at some point they will reveal it and some games. Maybe that's next month, maybe it's the month after. Maybe it's via a press conference, maybe it's via a YouTube video. That's not the hard part. Whenever they decide to do it, much like MS or Nintendo, they will have a huge captive audience. The tough part is making sure that message is received positively, and creates hype and anticipation for their consumers, and I don't think the time/place they do it in has any impact on that.

Agreed, I'm indifferent to how and when Sony chooses to fully present the PS5 to the public. The original "See the Future" teaser from Sony caught everybody off-guard, but it still worked so damn well in building up the initial hype for the PS4. But, I wholly agree with you on the matter of people wanting everything in video games to remain traditional. I have noticed it more in the current generation and it rubs me the wrong way, to be honest. Whether it be the decrying of Microsoft's original Xbox One plan, the entire concept of the Nintendo Switch, or even streaming games over the Internet, it gets increasingly tiring seeing people that love this medium want it to remain stagnant. The argument of, "video games should be played on a television with a regular controller" is passé at this point. I do not recall anyone condemning the arrival of standardized online gaming with Xbox Live, to one of the biggest upheavals in gaming with the Wii, or even when Sony announced the infamous cost of $599 for the PS3, a price that this industry had not seen for a piece of hardware since the unsuccessful 3DO. If someone did not like what a particular company was doing, they would not buy the product! It was as simple as that.

To your comparisons to Apple, Marvel, Samsung, and even Tesla, thank you! These are just four of the dozens, if not hundreds, of companies that radically changed our world in such a minute span of time. When Apple silently moved the iPhone release schedule from June to October, and then September, no one was complaining about it! They still knew they were going to have the opportunity to buy the latest and greatest version of the iPhone, regardless of what month it would go on sale. When the iPhone X ditched the iconic Home button and required users to adapt to a fully gestural interface, it was met with a warm welcome. It created an all-around better experience for the user.

Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony, and any other company in this space are not spending their time and money to make a worse experience. Sony has especially shown a remarkable amount of consistency in the 25 years they have been in this business. To anybody that is skeptical about when the PS5 is revealed, why would Sony suddenly do a poor job at launching their fifth home console?