• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Diverging paths: Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo's radically different visions.

We're talking about new hardware from all of the biggest players in the console space this week -- but what different stories we're telling.

Sony undoubtedly stole most of the thunder with its unveiling of selected details of the next-generation PlayStation in a Wired interview with Mark Cerny, but new hardware from both Microsoft and Nintendo is in the spotlight as well; a cheaper Xbox One S that drops the Blu-Ray drive from the former, and a few more hints at a pair of forthcoming Switch revisions from the latter.

Mindful of the fact that this is a very early reveal and there's much we still don't know, I don't want to describe the PlayStation hardware Cerny demonstrated as "conventional," but it's certainly evolutionary. It's a console very much within the lineage of those Sony has produced so far; it will of course be embedded in a services ecosystem that few would have imagined when the original PlayStation rolled out in the mid-1990s, but at its heart this promises to be a powerful, meaningful upgrade to a console paradigm we've all known and understood for over 30 years.

By contrast, Microsoft and Nintendo are moving in quite different directions. Microsoft's removal of physical media support from the new Xbox One S is both a statement of intent and a toe in the water. It speaks to the company's vision of Xbox as a gaming platform that spans across devices, powered through a combination of local hardware and Azure cloud services, with physical Xbox consoles being just one mode of access for an Xbox "experience" that's equally at home on a laptop, a tablet or another smart device.

Nintendo, for its part, is off doing its own Nintendo stuff -- working on new iterations of the Switch that would variously be downsized and possibly ruggedized (a more kid-friendly device than the existing hardware, in other words), and powered-up and more advanced, while also quietly slipping out news that it's working with Tencent to launch the console in the Chinese market. Nintendo has hit a formula that works exceptionally well and which allows it to build a significant market while dodging getting caught in a horsepower arms-race with the other platform holders. It's a trick the company has pulled off before, but the Switch is thus far its most successful execution of the idea.

Yet that's not really a fair or reasonable way to look at the story. If anything, it's a testament to Sony's success that it dominates the traditional console model so utterly that both its major rivals are effectively ceding that territory. There will be a next Microsoft console and a next Nintendo console, but they won't compete directly with the next Sony console; the traditional console market, as it has been for such a long time, is now in essence the PlayStation market.

More here

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The content certainly isn't diverging. PlayStation is very much primary but it's not like they are wildy going off in different directions. Microsoft is still getting the games and is a similar platform, will continue to be regardless of the streaming investment.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
That's a weird take considering MS will definitely offer a direct PS5 competitor.

That's like saying Sony left the traditional market because they are pushing VR offering PS Now support on non-Playstation devices.

Last edited:

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
It's not new, Nintendo left that market with the Wii and so far it mostly work for them.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Man, ever since Sony talked about the specs of the PS5 so many have touted Sony as the next God Emperor of the console space. Poor Microsoft hasn't even had a chance to talk about the NeXtbox.

As an aside I consider the Switch a traditional console. Not a traditional home console but it functions identically to my PS4. It's hardware just isn't as strong. If it had on par hardware it would be no different other than you can play it on the go.

baggage

Oct 25, 2017
The home console market is still very successful, but I don't see it growing to a great extent; it's pretty saturated as it is.

joke aside, nothing's wrong with rock, but a rock's a rock.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Isn't it a bit early to say MS have ceded that? They might be spinning other plates more than they used to, but they are still shooting on the same field as PlayStation, to the point they've pretty much been near Twin consoles, similar library, similar enough performance, similar services, which probably isn't changing much with next gen either. Sure there are signs of MS getting ready to maybe move on to different set up, but there is for Sony too.

Oct 25, 2017
If you think of the "worldwide console that provides high end graphics to your casual buyer", it is PS for sure. PS is synonymous with gaming in some areas outside of the US. MS doesn't have the worldwide outreach and Nintendo isn't even trying to go after that.

So yeah, with MS beginning to explore other options, it seems the Big 3 are more divergent (or at least eventually will be) than ever.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
ms just bought 7 studios in the last 2 years.

That's not really at odds with what the author is saying.

That said, I'm not sure I agree that the Sony and MS strategies are sooo different, at least on some fronts.

However I do think that 'in the small', it will be an interesting move away from direct competition if MS has indeed decided on a two SKU approach from the start for the next generation. I think that would be an internal acknowledgement that simply pitching a direct apples-to-apples Playstation alternative, even at the lower level of hardware, isn't really shaking things up for them, and they need to approach the market differently. If they simply put out the same box as Sony, at the same price, it's probably not going to move the needle.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Right now that's certainly true. Gotta see if MS will respond to that, but not with the cloud stuff.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Probably true.

I don't think this high-powered Xbox next is going to change enough for Microsoft. If it's significantly more powerful it'll be hitting $600, which is hardly going to appeal to anyone except the Xbox faithful. If it's similarly powerful and matches PS5 for price then it still isn't going to be expanding the potential audience for MS.

So what they'll really be relying on is streaming to make up the ground, especially if the lower-powered version is the one making up majority of sales.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
The console war may be over, but we got a streaming war brewing that Sony tooks early steps in but may fall behind now. Also, Sony is still stuck in the past about crossplay.

Sony may have "won", but with everyone making outside the box moves and playing by new rules, Sony's stranglehold on the industry won't be a repeat of the PS2.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Man, ever since Sony talked about the specs of the PS5 so many have touted Sony as the next God Emperor of the console space. Poor Microsoft hasn't even had a chance to talk about the NeXtbox.

As an aside I consider the Switch a traditional console. Not a traditional home console but it functions identically to my PS4. It's hardware just isn't as strong. If it had on par hardware it would be no different other than you can play it on the go.
Uh the article just says only Sony continue to follow the traditional path of the home console market strategy. I don't see all that downplay of the other 2 companies. It seems just saying the obvious to me.
And here we go to the switch is a traditional console. Jesus. It's not an offence considered it an hybrid and for that, the reason of his success.

Last edited:

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
" If anything, it's a testament to Sony's success that it dominates the traditional console model so utterly that both its major rivals are effectively ceding that territory. There will be a next Microsoft console and a next Nintendo console, but they won't compete directly with the next Sony console; the traditional console market, as it has been for such a long time, is now in essence the PlayStation market"

I agree with this part. It's also interesting that he thinks it could be the beginning of the end of the Console Wars because of it.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
It will be so funny when the next xbox dominates the market....

The only certainty that gaming has provided over the years is that the dominant console will probably change over each cycle.

Why? I don't know, but it happens.

Bgamer90

Oct 27, 2017
I'm noticing that a good amount of people are looking way too deeply into the Xbox One S All-Digital Edition and are predicting next gen Xbox plans on what's simply a late gen SKU that will be a cheap option for people that still don't have an Xbox One (or modern console period).

The PlayStation brand I guess is more "traditional" out of the three in terms of sticking to what many adult gamers are used to when it comes to console gaming, but even they are branching out into making their games playable on other devices via PS Now. I have a strong feeling that next gen will be heavily about services and the ability to play games outside of one's console with other people, regardless of how Sony will advertise/push the PS5 before its launch (and probably during its first year or two).

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
I think the reality is, MS is preparing for a streaming subscription future and is trying to accelerate that development because it has ceded that it will be not be able to compete in a traditional console market where it can win.

This is not a bad thing though. I mean the market for traditional consoles will only shrink as per experts so... eventually even Sony has to adapt and not just remain king of this possibly shrinking market.

OP
OP

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
" If anything, it's a testament to Sony's success that it dominates the traditional console model so utterly that both its major rivals are effectively ceding that territory. There will be a next Microsoft console and a next Nintendo console, but they won't compete directly with the next Sony console; the traditional console market, as it has been for such a long time, is now in essence the PlayStation market"

I agree with this part.
Yep. Agree 100%.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Edit: resolved.

The only certainty that gaming has provided over the years is that the dominant console will probably change over each cycle.

The article makes the case that Xbox's "non-traditional" strategy is the boldest and has the biggest reach out of the 3 companies.

Last edited:

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
This feels a tad premature. You could have said the same thing at the end of the 6th gen, but we saw how that panned out last gen. This stuff is unpredictable.

EssCee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In reality this was the most critical generation for all 3 hardware manufacturers

While online was big in the last gen - this is the gen that cements each players network and users. With Sony having such a massive advantage over market share, they've almost guaranteed a win in next gen just bc consumers will want to keep their current library/friends/trophies and have them transferable to the PS5

People can argue about which console is more powerful but at the end of the day, Sony has a significantly larger user base and their First Party output this gen has cemented to those customers that Sony will bring great exclusives to its platform

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017

It doesn't. PS3 was the only home console gen PlayStation didn't comfortably lead since entering, before which Nintendo usually won, SEGA did well though (like Xbox does now). And handheld consoles have been completely dominated by Nintendo (though PSP was a success).

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
The traditional console market is now in essence the PlayStation market
And it doesn't really matter, as all of those platforms still fight over my time and money. Each of the Big 3 has its own market segment right now or is working towards it to compete for time/money. And pretty much all of them can be successful within those market segments (traditional, hybrid/handheld, streaming, game pass type of deal, etc.)

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017

Xbox has never dominated the market to be brutal. It practically dominated in the US/UK market but WW it ended neck to neck with Sony.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I mean, Sony is certainly in a strong position in the traditional console space, but both Nintendo and MS will be competing there for at least this next gen as well.

Oct 30, 2017

Xbox has never and will never dominate the entire market unless they hand deliver their systems to homes all over europe and asia.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The coolaid is being drunk at a rapid rate since the PS5 specs were announced. I know its the cool thing to jump on and speculate but the belief that MS has just given up the traditional gaming market is absurd. All it is, is the gaming industry adapting and the console manafacturers providing for the shift. It is why we are getting cloud gaming, why game pass is an amazing system and why PSVR is a thing. Traditional gaming is still there, it is still alive on both MS and Sony's watches but it definitely hasn't been ceded by one for the other.
Xbox will never dominate the entire market unless they hand deliver them to homes all over europe and asia.
Price and game quality. Those are keys to success and why Sony effectively beat out Microsoft in gaining home traction. They came out with the cheaper console that did the job and did it well.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. unless a gigantic fuck up from Sony even worse to the Microsoft one, that market is a lock, and they know it.

And yeah, Xbox never "dominated" anything worldwide.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
And it doesn't really matter, as all of those platforms still fight over my time and money. Each of the Big 3 has its own market segment right now or is working towards it to compete for time/money. And pretty much all of them can be successful within those market segments (traditional, hybrid/handheld, streaming, game pass type of deal, etc.)

That's literally what the article says...

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
"ceded"...??

It's not like MS and N didn't try.

it's just that people voted with their wallets, Sony earned it.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I can see what they're trying to say here, but we don't exactly know how MS next Xbox will fare compared to the PS5. It's a tad premature at the moment.

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, not surprised by that title change. Focus on the quote and you create a one-sided narrative with reactionary posts, focus on the subject and suddenly people are a lot less inclined to do that.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
In reality this was the most critical generation for all 3 hardware manufacturers

While online was big in the last gen - this is the gen that cements each players network and users. With Sony having such a massive advantage over market share, they've almost guaranteed a win in next gen just bc consumers will want to keep their current library/friends/trophies and have them transferable to the PS5
You could have assumed the same thing for the PS3 and Xbox One following the success of their predecessors. It goes yo show that friends may cause people to buy the same systems during a generation, but when it's a new generation, people are still open to switch since they have to start over anyways and invest in a platform for the next several years. Whoever is making the best impression, or at least not the worst, has a chance to earn a new loyal customer for the generation.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If all Xbox games branded will coming on pc and switch in the next future, it's not a big give up to the traditional market strategies, I don't know what else could be.

But that is not giving up on trying to compete with Sony. I fully expect MS to release a next gen console on par with the PS5. They are still fighting with Sony for gamers wanting the newest and best tech.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Every new gen is a new start.

While this is true, momentum, mind share, and 1st party portfolio all carry forward. I joked with a friend that if PS5 only mimics its 1st party lineup with a continuation on PS5, Horizon 2, God of War 2, Bloodborne 2,etc, I'd be totally satisfied with that.

Right now all I consistently play on Xbox is Gears of War. Them buying up a bunch of studios currently means absolutely nothing until something releases and its actually good.

I'll be buying both regardless though lol.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
I'd agree to some extent, but I think the same will be said about Sony soon enough. The gaming landscape is changing, and with streaming products coming up, who knows how the landscape will look like in the next 5-10 years. I think traditional consoles are going to disappear at some point, or just become an option if they remain.