• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dude I don't know where your head is, no one said your opinion was invalid or was trying to discourage anyone from subscribing.

have you not read all the comments?

"It devalues the art"

"people need to take a step back from subscriptions and the dangers involved"

"everyone hates subscribing to 10 subscriptions at once"

This is all propaganda to discourage users from it. It would have been far easier to digest if they had just said you know what, I don't really care for subscriptions because of... Instead you always get some people who want to act like the voice of reason and tell people why they shouldn't do something. It's really condescending.

over the last year or two people have been complaining about the amount of streaming services there are.

All i mean is I am shocked that people are complaining about something online, this is unheard of, lol.

It;s the internet. The world is going to end today, if not today maybe tomorrow.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Crazy. At some point there should be a service that lets you with one button activate and deactivate services.

It isn't that hard to unsubscribe or subscribe to a gaming subscription. And even if you forget to do it, it's still only 5-15 euros.

Meanwhile gaming subscriptions and television subscription services like Netflix have given me much more content than I would ever watch/play if I had to buy the media separately. Before I bought 2-3 games per year. Now I play more than 20 different games per year. Some only for a couple of minutes or hours. Some for a longer period of time. Even games I would have never bought such as Forza Horizon 4.

(and let's not talk of all the crap I watched on Netflix when I was bored… :') )

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
I get it, some don't like subscription models. Some do. My opinion is no more valid than yours but I'm not going to support any argument that tries to discourage anyone from subscribing. I think most of us are mature enough to spend our own money as we wish.

Was never trying to to flat out tell people not to subscribe. I am subscribed to Netflix and Playstation Plus. I just think that Stadia, or at least what people claim they want out of Stadia, presents something totally different and like you I have concerns about not being able to play games the way I want to play games. Especially if that becomes the dominant model in the "digital streaming future". I edited my original comment to add that what I was saying was if that was the case, not as it is now.

Really was not supposed to be personal.

It isn't that hard to unsubscribe or subscribe to a gaming subscription. And even if you forget to do it, it's still only 5-15 euros.

It isn't that hard but it would be much nicer if it was all centralized. There is an app called Nate that at least keeps track of all of our subscriptions.

Last edited:

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
You seem to be contradicting yourself trying to promote Stadia as the better option when in reality Microsoft is actually giving you options. Also why would it cost more on xCloud? Makes no sense. Microsoft could easily host new games on xCloud and sell them just like Google is.

You've read a lot into my post that isn't there. Stadia and xCloud have pretty much identical models (subscription for some games, otherwise buy them outright). My point is that when people respond to this survey saying they want a subscription for access to the entire library, they are doing so because they're not considering that you're either going to have a mediocre library or an extremely high price, and Game Pass isn't materially different in that regard. That's not a criticism of Game Pass, it's a criticism of a survey which says "Do you want a subscription" without specifying the details which make it far less appealing.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like that fact was so obvious that they must have realized it before they did any significant market research.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️

"It devalues the art"

This is all propaganda to discourage users from it. It would have been far easier to digest if they had just said you know what, I don't really care for subscriptions because of... Instead you always get some people who want to act like the voice of reason and tell people why they shouldn't do something. It's really condescending.

It;s the internet. The world is going to end today, if not today maybe tomorrow.
You're wayyyy to invested in those comments like "propaganda" really?????I don't think anyone here is taking this that seriously, there has been discussions about how sub models will affect the industry and payment of devs. You're doing a lot of reading into people comments, at most that guys comments were him airing out his grievances with streaming. Calling that propaganda is childish. You're reading into peoples post and finding things that aren't there.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Was never trying to to flat out tell people not to subscribe. I am subscribed to Netflix and Playstation Plus. I just think that Stadia, or at least what people claim they want out of Stadia, presents something totally different and like you I have concerns about not being able to play games the way I want to play games.

Really was not supposed to be personal.

It isn't that hard but it would be much nicer if it was all centralized. There is an app called Nate that at least keeps track of all of our subscriptions.

My apologies. I welcome different views but I just don't appreciate anyone telling me or to word it better, advise me, on how to spend my money. That's all. I do think Stadia has an uphill battle though.

You've read a lot into my post that isn't there. Stadia and xCloud have pretty much identical models (subscription for some games, otherwise buy them outright). My point is that when people respond to this survey saying they want a subscription for access to the entire library, they are doing so because they're not considering that you're either going to have a mediocre library or an extremely high price, and Game Pass isn't materially different in that regard. That's not a criticism of Game Pass, it's a criticism of a survey which says "Do you want a subscription" without specifying the details which make it far less appealing.

Well of course most want everything for as cheap as possible. Most of us also realize that offering new games for $10 a month isn't really feasible unless you're the one hosting the service like Microsoft is and can get other revue through Xbox Live, hardware and that sort of thing. The way I see it, whether it's right or wrong, is Game Pass offers great value. Especially right now on beta on the PC for $5 a month. There's no better value out there that I can see.

One day I can see no need for consoles or PC's to millions of people because if the service works and is super easy to start up why wouldn't they use it? Right now we are still in the growing pains. Many still like the sense of ownership but if you can get a console or high end PC experiece in the palm of your hands and can be transferred to any device of course that is appealing as well.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
My apologies. I welcome different views but I just don't appreciate anyone telling me or to word it better, advise me, on how to spend my money. That's all. I do think Stadia has an uphill battle though.

All good. Let's just hope that we always have the options 👌. Even though I am not a Xbox gamer at the moment that is the part I respect most about their solution.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All good. Let's just hope that we always have the options 👌. Even though I am not a Xbox gamer at the moment that is the part I respect most about their solution.
I fully understand your concerns. Right now I think we are probably 50% digital sales on game consoles, some worry we might not get physical copies in the future. I still firmly believe if a market exists there will be support. After all we can still buy new vinyl records but going into any Best Buy and where are all the music CD's?

At the end of the PS5 and next Xbox I do think the market will be drastically different than today. Consumers consume things much differently today than they used to and in 7-10 years there will be even more headway towards convenience. Even myself I no longer want to collect games like I used to. The games would just sit there on the shelf, and for what? One day I might play it? Sorry but I'd rather play Xbox X enhanced BC games even though I don't own an Xbox. That's where I think we are headed. A digital library online of back catalog.

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands

"It devalues the art"

It's Propaganda!

Are you serious??

I am sitting here already annoyed that Disney decided to offer their own streaming service and pulling their stuff away from Netflix.

Soon everyone wants their own damn sub service. Personally I think plenty of people waste their money as is. I sure as hell won't have more than 2 subs max! Moderation is key in everything in life.

You claim to respect all views yet can't stomach people that are for obvious solid reasons very skeptical. I mean we get it you are pro Subscription service. Surely there will be anti subscription folk as well.

Propaganda?? No politics here...nor conspiracy theories. Lmao dude..

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
stadia's strategy is just ridiculous. very very very very few people are going to pay full price to own a game they can only stream.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
They surveyed Eurogamer readers? That isn't the audience.

The audience are people who wait 3 or 4 years for a games console to drop in price - the people who buy console games but find $399 too steep an entry cost. I'm not convinced that audience would know what Eurogamer is.
Bingo.

I also think that, for whatever reason, the gaming audience at large are trying to confuse Stadia's model when it's really simple. They have a subscription for up to 4K streaming that will have a library of games (a la Netflix...granted it is small right now). Otherwise the service is free to use for up to 1080p on games that you purchase only. Both options you can play purchased games.

So concluding that the model is at odds with Stadia is actually incorrect as Stadia does provide that, albeit a small (aka 1...lol) library. They just give you a choice of which one you want to use, just like the other gaming platforms. It's an option...lol.

Jan 20, 2019

"It devalues the art"

"Propaganda"

Yikes.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's Propaganda!

Are you serious??

I am sitting here already annoyed that Disney decided to offer their own streaming service and pulling their stuff away from Netflix.

Soon everyone wants their own damn sub service. Personally I think plenty of people waste their money as is. I sure as hell won't have more than 2 subs max! Moderation is key in everything in life.

You claim to respect all views yet can't stomach people that are for obvious solid reasons very skeptical. I mean we get it you are pro Subscription service. Surely there will be anti subscription folk as well.

Propaganda?? No politics here...nor conspiracy theories. Lmao dude..

Am I telling you are wrong for not subscribing? I don't know what you're going on about. As I said, don't tell me I am wasting my money. Get it, it's MY money. Not your concern at all just like it's not my concern or judgement that you don't want to support more subsscriptions.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the people who find 3 or 4 hundred dollars for a new console to be too much are also the exact same people who find 60 bucks for a new game to be too much.

ShapeDePapa

Oct 25, 2017
Streaming in other industries is pay x for huge list of content so it's not surprising that what's on people mind when Google talk about streaming video games.

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands
Am I telling you are wrong for not subscribing? I don't know what you're going on about. As I said, don't tell me I am wasting my money. Get it, it's MY money. Not your concern at all just like it's not my concern or judgement that you don't want to support more subsscriptions.
Don't take stuff so personal. I am speaking in general. The only thing I did specify and am addressing is the "propaganda" part.

I do not care what people do with their money. That is not my business. But saying it is all propaganda! (What all these naysayers are stating) is quite hilarious.

Steverulez

Oct 27, 2017
PR aside I don't see any of them being successful without compelling content you can't get elsewhere aka exclusives.

This is quite flawed considering MS got like 15 studios making content, and its well known that third party games are the ones that sell the most, so if you have those (to some degree) on your service then this will be incredibly compelling to people, particularly with things like game pass, where MS titles are launching day 1.

Google's problem is that streaming is their entire service, theres a lack of diverse business model which will impact the cost of their service sooner or later. Certainly in the short-medium term MS are the best placed to keep their pricing down due to a diverse business model: box + gold + game pass + digital/physical sales + DLC and the stream of content is coming.

Quite what disrupts the market long term is something we'll have to decide later, but if XCloud and Stadia were completely the same quality of service (stream performance) the one company is clearly in a better position as it stands, whilst we wait for Google to reveal more, at least

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't take stuff so personal. I am speaking in general. The only thing I did specify and am addressing is the "propaganda" part.

I do not care what people do with their money. That is not my business. But saying it is all propaganda! (What all these naysayers are stating) is quite hilarious.

To me it was propganda at the time it was posted about devaluing the art and suggesting nobody wants multiple subscriptions. Anyways I already moved on with the person I said it to so it's all good.

This is quite flawed considering MS got like 15 studios making content, and its well known that third party games are the ones that sell the most, so if you have those (to some degree) on your service then this will be incredibly compelling to people, particularly with things like game pass, where MS titles are launching day 1.

Google's problem is that streaming is their entire service, theres a lack of diverse business model which will impact the cost of their service sooner or later. Certainly in the short-medium term MS are the best placed to keep their pricing down due to a diverse business model: box + gold + game pass + digital/physical sales + DLC and the stream of content is coming.

Quite what disrupts the market long term is something we'll have to decide later, but if XCloud and Stadia were completely the same quality of service (stream performance) the one company is clearly in a better position as it stands, whilst we wait for Google to reveal more, at least

Google didn't really do a great job marketing Stadia and the whole part of Jade Redmond on stage was bizarre to say the least because they didn't actually show much at all.

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands
stadia's strategy is just ridiculous. very very very very few people are going to pay full price to own a game they can only stream.
That particular game will also be stuck in that specific Ecosystem. What about friendlists and what not? Community driven aspect? It could only work if it would be significantly cheaper, but it won't. I do not see it succeeding. For the time being. I suppose we have discord for that but still.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Not at the price that they would have to charge for the streaming service to get the entire library, I bet.

PS now is what, £13 a month, and is missing tons of big games. Practically every PS4 game I've played in the last three years is missing from that services too. This is people wanting unicorns again

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea what the twenty internal teams at Xbox will be doing.

That is the question.

This is quite flawed considering MS got like 15 studios making content, and its well known that third party games are the ones that sell the most, so if you have those (to some degree) on your service then this will be incredibly compelling to people, particularly with things like game pass, where MS titles are launching day 1

Making content a delivering compelling experiences are two very different things. Ultimately we have to wait and see.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
the people who find 3 or 4 hundred dollars for a new console to be too much are also the exact same people who find 60 bucks for a new game to be too much.

That isn't the case.

Games don't cost less to buy for the Nintendo Switch Lite. It's lowering the entry cost for people to buy the same games, like the 2DS did.

The customer base for a console grows as the price of the console decreases. That can only happen if the audience of people willing to pay $60 for a game is larger than the audience of people willing to pay $400 for a console.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The games that Stadia includes in their subscription services may see high numbers but I predict most games 'bombing' on Stadia when it comes to purchasing.

Steverulez

Oct 27, 2017
Making content a delivering compelling experiences are two very different things. Ultimately we have to wait and see.

Theres a reasonable discussion to be had about Microsoft's performance with titles this generation but I dont think theres an argument that can be reasonably had to say overall their titles arent "compelling", they'll be fine.

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Stadia has more third party AAA support than Switch already which surprised to fuck out me tbh. Even shit like Avengers coming to it.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Theres a reasonable discussion to be had about Microsoft's performance with titles this generation but I dont think theres an argument that can be reasonably had to say overall their titles arent "compelling", they'll be fine.

Indeed. However I didn't say that there content isn't compelling overall or otherwise. I said that...

PR aside I don't see any of them being successful without compelling content you can't get elsewhere aka exclusives.

And I still stand by that. "The netflix of gaming" is a term that is often thrown around while side stepping the key ingredient in what makes Netflix, Netflix. Exclusive content. There are several hundred streaming services out there that have become just another streaming service. The only ones of note, are the ones with some break out exclusive content like "The Hand Maids Tale." It's how they differentiate themselves from the competition.

To be clear I was speaking about both subscription services. Not just XBGP.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Indeed. However I didn't say that there content isn't compelling overall or otherwise. I said that...

And I still stand by that. The netflix of gaming is a term that is often thrown around while side stepping the key ingredient in what makes Netflix, Netflix. Exclusive content. There are several hundred streaming services out there that have become just another streaming service. The only ones of note, are the ones with some break out exclusive content like "The hand maids tale." It's how they differentiate themselves from the competition.

TO be clear I was speaking about both subscription services. Not just XBGP.
But that's literally what MS is doing with their subscription as we know...and Google opened up a studio (though they'll need more than just one) to do the same...I agree with that subscription services will need exclusives. It's just an odd thing to say when both companies are either doing that or in the process of doing that...

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Does it say that somewhere? I can't find it.

The referenced link
GamesIndustry.biz said:
The news comes from a study conducted by Broadband Genie and our sister site Eurogamer, which found 83% of 3,142 people were keen on playing games via streaming.

Of these Eurogamer readers, only 21% were "absolutely" interested, while another 17% would "probably" use such a service. A further 17% expressed no interest, leaving 45% potentially interested depending on a number of factors.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But that's literally what MS is doing with their subscription as we know...and Google opened up a studio (though they'll need more than just one) to do the same...I agree with that subscription services will need exclusives. It's just an odd thing to say when both companies are either doing that or in the process of doing that...

In the process of doing that doesn't negate my initial comment on exclusive content bring value to the service.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I'm still somewhat mindblown that Google didn't announce a XGP/Now-like subscription where you get access to a big library of games for a monthly fee.
Also, I think both Microsoft and Sony are in the perfect position to just take Stadia's model (buying a streaming copy) and improve massively upon it. Just imagine if Sony and Microsoft did this: if you buy a game through the online store on your PS5, Scarlett or W10 PC you also get a streaming copy at no additional cost. This means that when compared to Google both Sony and Microsoft would have 2 huge advantages: buyers also get a downloadable copy so customers can play the game at the best possible quality (providing they have the hardware required of course) and this would work with all games available through the online stores, where as Google will just have to hope developers and publishers are willing to support Stadia.
And another thing which definitely should be mentioned is Google's lack of exclusives. Google seriously needs to go on a Microsoft-like acquisition spree to fix that.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Stadia is literally the same deal as gamers are already getting on console and PC. Minus any big upfront hardware costs.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Microsoft is in the process of creating content to rival Nintendo and Sony since 2001 or even earlier. And for now not much has come from these attempts. So for the time being I remain sceptical, even more so for Google. Entering the gaming market with a single studio years away from putting out content is beyond laughable.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
In the process of doing that doesn't negate my initial comment on exclusive content bring value to the service.

Weird position to take when Millions of subscribers seem to find value in GamePass already.

Sometimes I think y'all forget what xCloud is.

Microsoft is in the process of creating content to rival Nintendo and Sony since 2001 or even earlier. And for now not much has come from these attempts.

They lost their way during the kinect, smartglass and Xbox one years, but I'm pretty sure they succeeded in building a library of compelling exclusives during the early to mid Xbox 360 years that rivaled anything else out there.

They've got a lot of work to do now, but the signs are extremely promising and gaming is bigger than ever at MS.

Last edited:

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Yeah Stadia would really prosper if they had a GamePass like model that could be supplemented with individual purchases.