GIFs of cool visual effects in old games

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
How about a new installment of this old classic thread. I'll start us off.

Dynamic lighting in Ranger X (Genesis, 1993)

T. rex chase sequence in The Lost World Jurassic Park (Genesis, 1997)

Vector cutscenes in Flashback (Amiga, 1992)

Pretty much everything in The Adventures of Batman and Robin (Genesis, 1995)

Shadow of the Beast parallax scrolling (Amiga, 1989)

Thunder Force 4 lake level (Genesis, 1992)

Comix Zone water (Genesis, 1995)

Faux-3D interiors in Red Zone (Genesis, 1994)

Dictator intro in Red Zone (Genesis, 1994)

Flickering lights in Clock Tower (SNES, 1995)

Round overworld in Treasure Hunter G (SNES, 1996)

3D chase sequence from Mickey Mania (Genesis, 1994)

Sandworm in Super Turrican 2 (SNES, 1995)

3D tunnel sequences in Super Stardust (Amiga, 1994)

Squash and stretch in Alien Soldier (Genesis, 1995)

Undulating water in Agony (Amiga, 1992)

Smooth scaling and texture mapping in Toy Story (Genesis, 1995)

Squishy flesh boss in Shinobi 3 (Genesis, 1993)

Rotating backgrounds in Brian the Lion (Amiga, 1994)

post more.

Last edited:

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

As usual, Terranigma gets forgotten.

—The graphics for the scenes after you clear a tower and revive the continent look incredibly impressive. I understand those scenes used up 8MB of memory on their own.

Miyazaki: Right, but we felt it was justified because those are the scenes which are most deeply connected to the concept and themes. We used some incredible technology to bring them to life, technology that is actually used in creating TV weather broadcasts.

Hashimoto: We used the same development software that was used by the English company Rare, when they were making Donkey Kong Country. It’s actually quite hard to make realistic animation with the Super Famicom hardware, and memory is another tough spot, but we really wanted to have a chance, even just once, to try out this development software, as well as fractals and other new technologies.

—Fractals…?

Futami: It’s a similar technology to what we use for polygon graphics. It makes it easier to display shapes that look natural. We’ve really worked hard on the graphics quality for Terranigma. How many times did we re-do the graphics to get them just right…? I’ve lost count.

Hashimoto: I don’t remember. (laughs)

Futami: And the final result would often turn out completely different from what we started with. (laughs)
http://shmuplations.com/terranigma/
My usual contribution.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Some parallax effects on the ol' NES

Batman Return of the Joker

VICE: Project Doom

And always liked seeing this kind of "tower spinning" effect whenever it showed up in 8bit/16bit games.

Kirby's Adventure

Nov 1, 2017
I couldn't find a gif but I was always so impressed with how Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories managed to fit in 3D cutscenes

JayBee

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
Those genesis games in the OP are impressive af. Makes me wanna play them all

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The DKC games had all sorts of cool-looking effects.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Those Batman and Robin ones look great, like they hired a bunch of demoscene peeps to make the effects lol.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
No GIFs unfortunately but very long draw distances thanks to voxels in Delta Force.

More voxel goodness way ahead of its time in Outcast:

Notorious Roy

Oct 27, 2017
Those Megadrive games are pretty impressive. Maybe I should play some this year. After 25 years I think I can set aside the 16 bit consolewars.

OP
OP

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
Flower field parallax in Toejam & Earl: Panic on Funkotron (Genesis, 1993)

kafiend

Oct 25, 2017
And always liked seeing this kind of "tower spinning" effect whenever it showed up in 8bit/16bit games.

Kirby's Adventure
Nebulus. Gif from C64 version but multi-platorm. The spinning tower and enemy location movement really messed with my mind when I first played it.

TheRedSnifit

Oct 29, 2017
Metal Slug has a lot of cool stuff, but my favorite has to be the alien energy ball in 3. It's a really cool effect for a pixelated game.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
I know I am uncultured for it, but I have to make the confession that I don't often make here. Almost none of the gifs in OP impresses me because the era is just too old for me. I find early advancements in later generations much more interesting. Including some of the other posts in this thread.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
"RTX Off"

Also Silent Hill 3, some of the trippy wall effects are still really neat (sorry, couldn't find a GIF):

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Toy Story had so many unbelievable moments, I couldn't believe what I was seeing.
Also, this thread needs lots of Vectorman love (I'm on my phone).

NeoZeedeater

Oct 27, 2017
I know I am uncultured for it, but I have to make the confession that I don't often make here. Almost none of the gifs in OP impresses me because the era is just too old for me. I find early advancements in later generations much more interesting. Including some of the other posts in this thread.
This makes me sad although I suppose most of these animations look smoother on real hardware than in gif form.

HueyFreeman

Oct 27, 2017
Wonderful thread, OP.

Vector cutscenes in Flashback (Amiga, 1992)
Curious about this (to you OP or anyone who knows) - I had always heard of Flashback and Out of this World's tech referred to as rotoscoping... what's the difference between that and vector-based? Is rotoscoping the way the animation is captured and vector is the way the graphics are built?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get how can someone not be impressed by what the Genesis is pulling off in those gifs.

capitalCORN

Oct 26, 2017
Wonderful thread, OP.

Curious about this (to you OP or anyone who knows) - I had always heard of Flashback and Out of this World's tech referred to as rotoscoping... what's the difference between that and vector-based? Is rotoscoping the way the animation is captured and vector is the way the graphics are built?
Rotoscoping simply means tracing over existent footage. Vector graphics refers more pertinently to flat shaded graphic design (there's more nuance than this, I swear).

IronicSonic

Oct 25, 2017
In the phone right now but I miss good old Treasure games here. And Contra Hard Corps. Those are the go-to for impressive effects on Genesis.

That Motorola doing wonders in the 90s!!