• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Guy: I respect women more than anyone!

Gillette: Great! Then not sexually harassing women shouldn't be a problem!

Guy ...go to hell.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
It's the little things that get me. The stupid, self-defeating obstinacy. It took surviving a heart attack for my father to start seeing a doctor regularly, and reluctantly at that, and now my brother's been sick for three weeks and just won't see anyone about it. Like they'd rather die than ask for help.
Yes, this is a critically dangerous aspect of toxic masculinity. One that is actually killing men on a daily basis.

Won't go get a colon cancer screening because "nobody goes near my booty hole! I ain't gay!" Won't see someone for an injury because "I'll just wrap it up/walk it off." We've been conditioned so poorly in general.

"If these men were really masculine, then they wouldn't care"

holy shit this video was awesome.
I actually disliked that comment. It accidentally reinforced the notion that masculinity shouldn't be sensitive.

I think it would have been better stated as, "If these men really ascribed to their definitions of masculinity, they wouldn't care."

Because part of the core issue is that they *aren't* sensitive. They should be sensitive, but about the right things and in a healthy way that will help them grow into men that do a better job of listening, communicating, and respecting each other, women, and themselves..

Last edited:

airjoca

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Portugal
Finally saw the ad, as a Man I got zero problems with it.

I think that if you remove the MeToo angle from the add, and get someone like Yoda spreading the knowledge, (almost) no one would bat an eye over it.

As the guy in the video mentioned, a real man doesn't really care or get "hurt" by this.

Yes, this is a critically dangerous aspect of toxic masculinity. One that is actually killing men on a daily basis.

Won't go get a colon cancer screening because "nobody goes near my booty hole! I ain't gay!" Won't see someone for an injury because "I'll just wrap it up/walk it off." We've been conditioned so poorly in general.

I actually disliked that comment. It accidentally reinforced the notion that masculinity shouldn't be sensitive.

I think it would have been better stated as, "If these men really ascribed to their definitions of masculinity, they wouldn't care."

Because part of the core issue is that they *aren't* sensitive.

At least in America there's also a financial side to refusing to get medical help.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

I got a finger injury playing basketball and the amount of dumb "wrap it up/ its not a big deal/ how many doctors visits do you need for a finger/ 6 weeks in a splint is excessive" shit I heard was unreal.

Like, not only should you take physical injuries seriously but I got it playing sports and the whole point of doing this stuff is so I can resume physical activity at 100% lol. Like do they realize professional athletes, dudes that jump over dudes and dunk on fools sit out weeks over soreness?

It's like taking care of yourself is some show of weakness. Its so dumb.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan

Because part of the core issue is that they *aren't* sensitive. They should be sensitive, but about the right things and in a healthy way that will help them grow into men that do a better job of listening, communicating, and respecting each other, women, and themselves..
I'm seeing a lot of that in this thread too. I get that it's tempting to turn the tables and call people snowflakes but it's a bad look.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
At least in America there's also a financial side to refusing to get medical help.
Indeed. They often won't get help until they're in so much pain that they have to walk into someone's Emergency Room.

By the time you feel pain, it's often times too late.

I know a guy (carpenter) that put a nail from a nail gun through his finger. Apparently pulled it out or something and just...went home. It got infected because he didn't see someone (maybe afraid of the cost). As you would have guessed, it got worse he had to go to the hospital. Because he waited, they ended up having to remove the finger and he had to stay in the hospital for a week+. Self-employed, poor insurance coverage. Thus, fucked.

I got a finger injury playing basketball and the amount of dumb "wrap it up/ its not a big deal/ how many doctors visits do you need for a finger/ 6 weeks in a splint is excessive" shit I heard was unreal.

Like, not only should you take physical injuries seriously but I got it playing sports and the whole point of doing this stuff is so I can resume physical activity at 100% lol. Like do they realize professional athletes, dudes that jump over dudes and dunk on fools sit out weeks over soreness?

It's like taking care of yourself is some show of weakness. Its so dumb.
Yep. My father is a ER doctor (trauma surgeon) who does about 10 shifts a month across the country. The stories he has about what can ultimately be distilled down to "problems that were critically compounded by toxic masculinity" are shamefully and discouragingly high. Young men, dying of all kinds of cancers and dumb shit that could have been caught or addressed if men didn't associate seeking help (mental or physical) with "weaknesses."

We will all learn to be better, to seek help, and to do better overall. Or we will probably die an early death.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
People talking about men's aversion to doctors for physical ailments are missing the most insidious killer; mental health issues. Tons of men could benefit from counseling but instead suicide rates are just way higher among men.

airjoca

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Portugal
Indeed. They often won't get help until they're in so much pain that they have to walk into someone's Emergency Room.

By the time you feel pain, it's often times too late.

I know a guy (carpenter) that put a nail from a nail gun through his finger. Apparently pulled it out or something and just...went home. It got infected because he didn't see someone (maybe afraid of the cost). As you would have guessed, it got worse he had to go to the hospital. Because he waited, they ended up having to remove the finger and he had to stay in the hospital for a week+. Self-employed, poor insurance coverage. Thus, fucked.

I'm in Europe. That would be something like $15 (the emergency room visit the day of the incident). I feel for US-ERA with bad health plans.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I'm in Europe. That would be something like $15 (the emergency room visit the day of the incident). I feel for US-ERA with bad health plans.
I'm pretty sure his final bill was in the $50,000 range. When I say he's fucked...I mean it. And it happened around the holiday to add insult to injury. And he had no employees; it's all him. All because he didn't just...go see someone before bad became worse.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
People talking about men's aversion to doctors for physical ailments are missing the most insidious killer; mental health issues. Tons of men could benefit from counseling but instead suicide rates are just way higher among men.
Mental illness is another major component that kills men because they are taught via "toxic musculinaty" to 'man up", "tough it out" and not seek any help

then end up suiciding themselves

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Yep. My father is a ER doctor (trauma surgeon) who does about 10 shifts a month across the country. The stories he has about what can ultimately be distilled down to "problems that were critically compounded by toxic masculinity" are shamefully and discouragingly high. Young men, dying of all kinds of cancers and dumb shit that could have been caught or addressed if men didn't associate seeking help (mental or physical) with "weaknesses."

We will all learn to be better, to seek help, and to do better overall. Or we will probably die an early death.

It's just sad. I want to say it is getting better with the younger generation but honestly I don't think it is. I think its just gonna continually get worse until people speak out and say this dumb. In the US it is compounded by costs of treatment but even still, once it gets bad, it's already 10x more expensive to treat.

In Canada I don't have to pay anything up fromt for medical care and that makes it a lot easier to just go get checked out.

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't gone in depth to all the talks of people who are offended by the ad but has anyone seen any kind of 'reasonable' rationale as to why people find it offensive or is this basically a matter of 'a hit dog hollers'?

StarBot

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I have a female and Mexican friend who is extremely pissed off over this ad

They really hate "SJWs" to the point they gotta defend people like me, when I thought the ad was fine

DarkenedSoul

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean its only fitting that a country that only listens to what people on TV say and are OK with electing a racist shithead that they love seeing saying you're fired on a trash reality tv show should be targeted with ads to teach them shit they should've learned as kids by their parents.

StarBot

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Also KnowYourMeme is jerking themselves off over this

Posting "Go Woke Go Broke" and shit like that

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Piers Morgan I expected this kind of stupidity from, but Marty O'Donnell? Disgusting.

If that's the kind of company he wants to keep, then to hell with him. I used to feel sorry for him when Bungie and him parted ways. Now I'm more inclined to avoid any game he has an active hand in.

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
It's whatever. It's not like the dude has done anything that should make people think he is socially progressive. He composed Halo, that is his claim to fame.
It's still pretty disappointing. It's not enough to change my opinion of the Halo soundtrack however I was a big advocate for him returning to Bungie or getting picked up by 343 to do Halo Infinite but now I don't really care about that anymore.

Gugi40

Mar 7, 2018
Canada
I love how an ad that literally BELIEVES IN MEN and says "Hey we know #NotAllMen so lets start proving that" is being criticized... by men....

I like the ad, it makes me feel hopeful and it brought back my old feelings about men. I used to believe men were protectors, I thought they were the heroes, kind and empathetic, loving and generous but then I experienced the crazy amount of terrible males from age 11 and onward and that image of men started to rot away with every misogynistic wording, sexual harassment, and sexual assault, it has rotted pretty deeply to the point where meeting a kind empathetic man is like encountering a Feebas on the first try. I think that the true men are starting to wake up and use their good nature to battle toxic behaviors and damaging attitudes and to boost up other men to be (as Gillette puts it) the best a man can get.

Anyway, all the guys who don't like it are the embodiment of the exact issue that the ad wants to address.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I always like seeing the people who are so quick to call others snowflakes respond so strongly to something as innocuous as this ad.

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
Reading Piers Morgan's tweet, is the ad actually PC if it pisses off so many people?
I know the term has been co-opted a long time ago, I just find it awfully ironic with the like-dislike ratio the video has.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

And the BBC crafted an article around him and a few others with no followers.

This is how a lot of media sites work now they just mine twitter.

That Millennials Can't Watch Friends because it's homophobic thing that set off a ton of people here in rage about the death of free speech? That article was crafted from two random twitter users who basically said yeah re-watched Friends... some of it is kinda homophobic.... That was it but the narrative became Millennials are Cancelling Friends!!!!

It's all bullshit.

pizoxuat

Jan 12, 2018
An ad about "toxic feminity" wouldn't look like this, BTW, because failure to address women's bad behavior is not part of our problem. Being hypercritical of each other and policing each other's every behavior and every aspect of our appearance and presentation is. A similar ad for women would look more like Dove's ads about embracing racial and body type diversity. Which hey, is already a thing that is out there than women don't think is telling them to stop being women! Hooray!

invid02

Self requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It wasn't as shite as I was expecting, the backlash hyped it up too much. Just another multinational adding virtue signalling to their brand strategy

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't as shite as I was expecting, the backlash hyped it up too much. Just another multinational adding virtue signalling to their brand strategy

Even if they are insincere (which is certainly possible, we're talking about a corporation) isn't it good that an entity solely interested in its profit sees benefit in promoting a socially positive agenda?

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I don't understand the "but it's an evil corporation!" take. If being a good person is becoming profitable isn't that far better than the usual shallow and harmful advertising we always get?

I'd say it's a major improvement even if their hearts aren't exactly in the message or that they're using someone else's passion to make a buck. Yeah, it's scummy, but if it gets the message out to millions of people, that's not a bad thing.