• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
As for this advertisement, anyone that gets offended by it or threatens to boycott is the exact reason this ad exists. Talk about being a fragile snowflake who can't handle the fact that if they took an introspective look at themselves, they'd realize they feed into and promote the culture of toxic masculinity in order to compensate.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
So for those who consider this pandering how would you have approached this?

Announcing a partnership with groups that are trying to strengthen mental health and curb toxicity in media.

The message is good and it's good that people are reflecting on it, but it's hard to see this as any different from when Arby's reminds you how dope Kingdom Hearts 3 is going to be or when Wendys lays a sick burn down on Chik-fila.

Woke Brands tm is something we need to take with a pinch of salt. Least we start believing Wells Fargo or BP when they "apologize".

Vish

Oct 28, 2017
It's a shitshow on NeoGAF, from being mad at the message, to complaining about the black guy stopping the white guy from following the woman aka anti-white hate.

Oct 27, 2017
So for those who consider this pandering how would you have approached this?
By not making it all and pretending issues that need addressing should be swept under the rug and ignored forever. Or explored through initiatives that have less reach and effectiveness making them worthless.

I mean, whether it's toxic masculinity or racism or homophobia etc, people who are part of the problem don't want to have to take a look at themselves or be called out. There should be no complaints about a company pushing progressive advertisements talking about important issues.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
It's a shitshow on NeoGAF, from being mad at the message, to complaining about the black guy stopping the white guy from following the woman aka anti-white hate.

Yeah I'm gonna go out on a limb and say those guys are probably the same guys who are obsessed with the concept of cuckolding.

Oct 25, 2017
Announcing a partnership with groups that are trying to strengthen mental health and curb toxicity in media.

The message is good and it's good that people are reflecting on it, but it's hard to see this as any different from when Arby's reminds you how dope Kingdom Hearts 3 is going to be or when Wendys lays a sick burn down on Chik-fila.

Woke Brands tm is something we need to take with a pinch of salt. Least we start believing Wells Fargo or BP when they "apologize".
Cant help but think that wouldn't stop the pandering complaints

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Cant help but think that wouldn't stop the pandering complaints

I mean, actionable stuff quiets those people down a lot.

But yeah, no matter what, some people are going to whine because they hate reflecting in on themselves.

Personally I'd take a large check and a partnership deal with NAMI over this ad any day of the weak. But that's me.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, actionable stuff quiets those people down a lot.

But yeah, no matter what, some people are going to whine because they hate reflecting in on themselves.

Personally I'd take a large check and a partnership deal with NAMI over this ad any day of the weak. But that's me.

Ideally, a nice donation AND the ad is the best course of action. We need to have this kind of language out in the world, and having major corporations being the ones speaking it (rather than charities that people will just dismiss out of hand as being "bleeding heart") helps ensure the message is amplified. The fighting over the ad also signal boosts the message as well, which is more than could be said if Gillette just sent a check to a charity or non-profit and washed their hands of the whole thing.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
really? the fact that things are so bad a cooperation felt the need/opportunity to put this out makes me embarrassed to be a man, makes me embarrassed to be a human too

We get to chose if we like or dislike an add, no matter the message. There have a century or more of ads from corporations that have pushed sexism, and toxic masculinity. The message is still valid, as long as you understand it's still an ad. It's just a better message.

Dreavus

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jan 12, 2018

One thing I like to do when I see an emotionally targeted commercial is ask myself "ok, but what are they selling?" It's an attempt by the company to have us make positive connections between "brand" and "emotion", which is unearned most of the time. I agree that building that into real action and partnerships would do more to have them put their money where their mouth/message is.

That said, the overall message is a positive one and it's slightly baffling seeing some of these hot takes attacking the commercial for all the wrong reasons. Being skeptical of a corp's "feel-good sentiment" is one thing, but taking issue with the concept of combatting toxic masculinity or claiming there is no problem at all are very... disappointing responses to say the least.

Mar 29, 2018
Fucking wow. Heard the noise about the ad and thought it would be a short one-shot thing. After watching it proper... wow.

Hats off to Gillette. Would happily buy their stuff now.

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
So the message of the video is don't be an asshole and don't do unto others why you don't want done unto you?

Seems pretty basic stuff

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Please, lets not reference alt right sites owned by Golum-looking dudes that jump into showers unnanounced.

siteseer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Commercials have a good message but are heavy-handed. I think the goofy dolts are more likely to drop Gillette than my beard oil mafia is to start using Gillette based off of this commercial though.
for a giant multi branded multinational it's about name recognition. even if you never buy one of their razors if you remember the name this ad succeeded.

Fantasy Final

Oct 25, 2017
I wish there was more diversity of opinion in threads like these, instead of being the complete opposite of the internet in general.

I am not saying I agree or disagree with the ad, but would be nice seeing and understand both sides. Usually it's one sided and the people who have the other opinion are getting insulted by the mass, and this is from someone who's been on GAF/Era since 2007.

Oct 26, 2017
I wish there was more diversity of opinion in threads like these, instead of being the complete opposite of the internet in general.

I am not saying I agree or disagree with the ad, but would be nice seeing and understand both sides. Usually it's one sided and the people who have the other opinion are getting insulted by the mass, and this is from someone who's been on GAF/Era since 2007.
Honest question: What's the other side?

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State

go to the other place and you'll get your other side

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Québec, Canada

Something something middle is a good place to be.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

I agree we should totally have a debate on why actually sexual harassment is good and allowing violence is great because boys will be boys is healthy.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

You got the whole net to get your other opinions lol. Read twitter.

Oct 25, 2017

Sexual assault and bullying are good vs sexual assault and bullying are bad.

Definitely two sides that need to be represented here