• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MotionBlue

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gillette razors are overpriced. Also do Americans really just watch their kids physically beat each other? wtf

this is a fantastic ad
It is, but unless it shows up in traditional media, it isn't going to be seen by the people most in need of the message. It also reeks of shallow corporate PR, them pinning the "My wife's son loved this, thank you!" joke unaware of its alt-right meaning makes it worse.

Lord Fagan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, Piers Morgan is pissed at it?

Guess they're doing the right thing.

Obviously, the ad is legit and the outrage machine is losing sight of whatever it's trying to accomplish.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just got into an overwatch game where the first thing said was "ban gilette". Fucking snowflakes. Blows my mind.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I am at a complete loss to the reactions on social media to this now that I am sitting here actually going through them.

Gillette: Hey guys lets try to be better people

Idiots:
giphy.gif

I just wanna add to this that the majority of the idiots in question seem to be on Reddit and Twitter. And on a very depressing note many of them seem to be gamers.

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
I mean is this your general thought on how corpor should be, that they should not attempt to have any stand or promote any social message or movement?
I believe the point is more that they should walk the walk by ensuring fair pay and working conditions across all of their enterprises, rather than paying lip service through ads and then employing literal slave labor in developing nations.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I believe the point is more that they should walk the walk by ensuring fair pay and working conditions across all of their enterprises, rather than paying lip service through ads and then employing literal slave labor in developing nations.

Of course ideally companies need to tackle issues from all fronts but this is one was that they can reach out to the masses.

I wouldn't want to discount the message that the ad is giving even though I know the end goal is to make more money for the company. The intention is hardly important here. But I too find it amusing that sone posters here are saying that they will buy their products now, even though I am a patron myself. The blades are too expensive and my country doesn't have reliable alternatives like Shave Dollar Club.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Wait what? I fully agree with this ad. The topic title made me think Gilette put out the most toxic ad.

That's a bold move. Of course, brilliant marketing and just to make money, but still, they can do that with all kind of messages.

Anyway, i can also understand people get a weird vibe from it but whatever. A LOT of men need messages like this. Be a good example because kids will follow. I still think most kids get ruined by their parents and by the parents of other kids.

You can still be a boy, boys.

Last edited:

ChasingANiche

Oct 26, 2017
At first, when I heard about people getting mad over this ad, I thought it was because of a corporation trying to monetize and capitalize on a real-life progressive movement to sell me material goods. Hearing that its actually conservative fuck boi's crying that they were told "Hey we should be better" has left me conflicted. On one hand, anything that makes these scumbags mad is cool in my book, but on the other hand the idea that I end up thinking, "This brand really managed to co-opt a progressive movement to advertise at me effectively" makes me a little nauseous. I suppose its a pick your battles kind of thing, and if a net good comes out of it then fine (Even if that net good is just watching people self-destruct over razors).

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Piers Morgan acts like he is Mr Masculine but if he's just a middle class prick who would get his head kicked in in any pub in Scotland he walked into.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every person that is offended by stuff like this is to 99% part of the problem.
That's why they act like snowflakes.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
Whats up with the downvotes?!
Who could not get behind this?!
The "Men for bullying and harassment" organisation? Insane.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
I'm not surprised at the dislike ratio. Generally people just want their product and not a companies opinion and Gillette selected one of the topics with the most vile haters out there. It'll be interesting to see if they keep the video up or panic from the backlash of shitbags.

VikingJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
I think the fact that the majority of the "discussion" I'm seeing about this ad is coming out of the Trump subreddit is pretty telling alone.
I was curious myself to what the reactions would be on various parts of Reddit to this ad. Lo and behold, all the usual suspect reddits like The_Donald, Mensrights, MGTOW, and Drama were all up and arms about it.

Nothing screams insecure about their masculinity like a bunch of guys screaming on Reddit or Twitter and then being so offended by an ad from a shaving company that they feel the need to make it their goal to make it the most disliked video on Youtube.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Like the message behind the ad, but kind of found it heavy handed think it could of accomplished with a series of short ads, less long dramatic ads.

Jan 10, 2018
Someone needs to give Piers Morgan the same corn cob treatment that got Jacob Wohl all hot under the husk. He so desperatley wants to position himself as some anti-PC hero to the gammons.

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I remember an episode of Barney the Dinosaur where Barney was all, "Hey kids! Didja know stealing is wrong?" Then one of the kids absolutely loses his fucking mind and goes on a rant, "How dare you accuse me of being a thief!!" "Not all kids are thieves!!" "Never stolen anything in my life, fuck you!!" "Nobody in my family has ever stolen a damn thing!!" "Why don't you tell this to people who actually steal and not good boys like me!!" "Please stop bringing economics in my cartoon dinosaur show!!" and he went on and on like this before dying of an aneurysm on the spot. The other kids were confused and scared as hell.

This is exactly like that.

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
On the other end of the spectrum, I dislike how people are ignoring the message of the ad and going on about how Gillette is a EVIL CORPORATION!! YOU'RE BEING PANDERED TOO!! DON'T GIVE IN!! HISSS!! L

When Big Corps take a moral stance even as a way to advertise, it means they understand the masses and the masses say "Dont be a bully"

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
Everything is a dog whistle these days. You can't say anything remotely tied up in politics without people having an adverse reaction. It's just a battle of egos. We're fucked.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Decent people don't get angry about decent respectful behaviour being represented.

Treating people with respect is not "politics" it's just being a decent human being.

If you see a guy really angry with the Gillette advert - he's probably a toxic arsehole.

Oct 26, 2017
Feels a bit hypocritical coming from a company that has been promoting this kind of toxic masculinity.

Whatever imago brings in the most profit, I guess.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
but this is a good ad.

I really dislike the one which is airing constantly on german TV now though.
some "hipster-style" commercial with some dubious undertone

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Great ad. Things need to change and a few generations from now we might actually have a better, more inclusive society thanks to positive messages like these. Let people be whoever the fuck they want to be as long as they treat others with respect and dignity.

Start with educating and teaching your own offspring and with any luck it'll have a rippling effect on generations to come.

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
Man, those comments. This thing right here is so disgusting, I don't even know what to say.

Dw8A-cSUcAA8Yyp.jpg

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Good to see they are getting with the direction of travel on this. It is obvious that many aspects of 'traditional conceptions of masculinity' are simply irrelevant in the current era. I mean its basis over women has fundamentally been underpinned by physical strength and aggression, dominance of public life, etc., and I feel that these characteristics are a source of weakness rather than strength in the world we live in. We need generative rather than impotent destruction. Just to note, I am not saying that I have anything against violence as codified within sports, martial arts, etc. I don't.

Piers is weird...is he posturing? Because he comes across as very far from traditional perceptions of masculine characteristics. Is he self loathing or something? I mean I don't even watch TV, but he turns up far too much. He is a wanker.

Last edited: