• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Hyperbolic, exaggerated and ranting but fuck it's getting so annoying. I didn't think something could have trashed gifs harder than Tumblr did but boy oh boy are we getting there.

Every time, go look for a reaction gif for something now and oh no, can't embed this one or mirror it to another site easily. For almost every initial gif I try. Even their bullshit "gif link" isn't actually a gif. What's the point in that?! It's still HTML5!

H13XuFq.png

SWzmsBF.gif

Also had this when recently trying to quickly upload an image to imgur (the website) from my mobile. Turns out you can't do that anymore.

Why is it that every image hosting site turns into a pile of garbage after awhile?
Why is this inducing such a rage in me?
Because uploading an image and choosing a gif from google images used to be fucking simple.
It makes me feel old and I don't appreciate it as a result, also that.

I needed to vent, please excuse the hot air.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
The rise of Giphy has motivated me to make and store my own gifs. Shits ridiculous now a days.

spindashing

Oct 25, 2017
Queens, New York
As hyperbolic as this might be, I agree with you.

I feel the same way for .gifs posted on Twitter, but then again the .gif system is backed by Giphy over there so they're the root of all of this shit.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
It's awful and imgur has gotten worse with every update. Rip the internet.

OP
OP
The ๖ۜBronx
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 30, 2017
If you search for a reaction gif, just end your search with 'imgur' so you're only pulling from there and not giphy. Work smart, not hard.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Never had an issue. Right-click the animated GIF > Image Properties > make sure you copy the URL and make sure it says .gif on the end. Am I missing something?

corn_fest

Oct 27, 2017
Reaction GIFs becoming harder to post seems like an overall improvement to the Internet imo.

rstzkpf

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel you OP. I used to just have a huge folder with literally hundreds of reaction .gifs but I felt like it was getting out of control so I deleted it.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Hyperbolic, exaggerated and ranting but fuck it's getting so annoying. I didn't think something could have trashed gifs harder than Tumblr did but boy oh boy are we getting there.

Every time, go look for a reaction gif for something now and oh no, can't embed this one or mirror it to another site easily. For almost every initial gif I try. Even their bullshit "gif link" isn't actually a gif. What's the point in that?! It's still HTML5!

H13XuFq.png

SWzmsBF.gif

Also had this when recently trying to quickly upload an image to imgur (the website) from my mobile. Turns out you can't do that anymore.

Why is it that every image hosting site turns into a pile of garbage after awhile?
Because uploading an image and choosing a gif from google images used to be fucking simple.

To upload to imgur from your phone without using the app, enable Desktop View in your mobile browser.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Yeah I feel you man, but I have a solution for this that works almost all the time. I search what I want gif tumblr. It works pretty much all the time.

zychi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chicago
Can we all, as one big internet, just go to webm? Its been time for awhile, every since jif versus gif became a thing

OP
OP
The ๖ۜBronx
Oct 25, 2017
If you search for a reaction gif, just end your search with 'imgur' so you're only pulling from there and not giphy. Work smart, not hard.
Good advice, though does make it harder to find some.

Never had an issue. Right-click the animated GIF > Image Properties > make sure you copy the URL and make sure it says .gif on the end. Am I missing something?
Here, this one - https://giphy.com/gifs/crying-laughing-news-VrSZDlpRaHYje

Seems there are some that are still available as a gif file but many that aren't anymore.

To upload to imgur from your phone without using the app, enable Desktop View in your mobile browser.
I just gave in and got the app. I'm weak.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

H13XuFq.png

SWzmsBF.gif

FYI you can and without the app. Instead of googling imgur search for imgur upload. Don't ask me why they made everything so ass backwards in an attempt to get app users

OP
OP
The ๖ۜBronx
Oct 25, 2017
FYI you can and without the app. Instead of googling imgur search for imgur upload. Don't ask me why they made everything so ass backwards in an attempt to get app users
Yeh, but with the hoops in place I just downloaded the app. Got very frustrated trying to do it initially and it broke me. Good tip though!

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We have a /giphy command in Slack at work, it's awesome. So many reaction gifs.

But yeah, I never quite know how to just include a gif in a forum post these days, without first rehosting it.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017

This only works sometimes for me for some reason. Also, I swear there were a couple times when I tried to use giphy, and somehow, the URL I was trying to use later turned into another GIF. Also either way the image quality is super trash.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I agree.

GIPHY is the worst fucking thing that has happened to my gif usage.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
It's awful and imgur has gotten worse with every update. Rip the internet.
Sadly Imgur is still the best websites to upload but they have made it pretty awful. The fact that I can't upload anything from their website on mobile is total bullshit. The fact that they removed all the code presets right after you upload an image is bullshit, why would they remove that? Now I have to manually set IMG tags or use the IMG tagging system in ERA where before I could just copy and paste straight from Imgur. The moment they tried to make Imgur a social media site instead of a web hosting site, that place went to shit.

barit

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
It's no hyperbole OP. It's the sole reason why I stopped using reaction gifs because every fucking result on google links me to GIPHY. And if the first two or three results don't do it for me I'm not gonna bother with it any further.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Right click, View Video, change .mp4 ending to .gif to get the GIF version.

Yes, it's annoying.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

200w.gif

Test from giphy using the copy feature so see what happens

EDIT: I'm confused, what do they look like you guys? I just held and copied txt link on giphy on iPhone

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Good advice, though does make it harder to find some.

Here, this one - https://giphy.com/gifs/crying-laughing-news-VrSZDlpRaHYje

Seems there are some that are still available as a gif file but many that aren't anymore.

I just gave in and got the app. I'm weak.
giphy.webp

In almost every case, get the image URL until it's just a photo by itself. No giphy logo or other elements on the page. (Does that make sense?) The one you sent me is a webp. So the link to that is: https://i.giphy.com/media/VrSZDlpRaHYje/giphy.webp

Hooky

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The fact that they removed all the code presets right after you upload an image is bullshit, why would they remove that? Now I have to manually set IMG tags or use the IMG tagging system in ERA where before I could just copy and paste straight from Imgur.

Unless I'm mistaken, you can still get those links:

XzPqixA.jpg

It's weird though. The drop down appears to the right of an image after you upload it, but not right away.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
with those giphy links that don't seem to work on imgur everything I've thrown at abload.de seems to upload

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No it's great. The problem is the lack of support for html5/ mp4/webm embeds. Sites/ apps are outdated af for still having .gif be the primary vector for animated images.

Fuck gifv though. Who does imgur think they are.