• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wong1280_gpndd3bi_ij7w5s58.jpg

Oh, how life has changed in just two months for Hailey, who lives near Las Vegas and was born with Poland syndrome, a rare birth defect that caused her to only have three fingers.

You might have heard about Hailey's story and how she got here. In July, a story by Sports Techie recounted how, with the help of professors and researchers at UNLV, Hailey was outfitted with a 3-D printed prosthetic hand. With that hand, Hailey decided she wanted to throw out a first pitch in all 30 MLB parks. When Bleacher Report told the story of Hailey's quest, it quickly spread. In fact, it got bigger than Hailey and her family could have imagined.

Various MLB teams were offering to let Hailey throw out a first pitch. But then the big call came. It was Major League Baseball with a different offer: Come throw out the first pitch at the World Series. And that's just what she did Saturday night before Game 4.

Hailey — sporting a new gold and blue World Series-themed 3-D printed hand with "Vegas Strong" and "UNLV" on it — stood a few feet away from Altuve, the Astros star second baseman, and heaved the first pitch underhand in his direction.

More including video at: https://sports.yahoo.com/inspiring-...-series-pitch-3-d-printed-hand-005631713.html

Is she technically a cyborg?

Hit me with a baseball bat if old

Mr_Black

Banned for having an alt account
Oct 27, 2017
No not a cyborg, unless that robot hand is keeping her alive. I think to be a cyborg you must be heavily reliant on the tech.

She's more of an augment. Or deus ex level (the game)

Chamaeleonx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amazing for her! Its awestrucking how far technology has come. =D

The future where we actually can connect metal to nervs and build real, fully functional robot parts to supplement the human body can come soon enough.
The trinity fusion of Human, Robot and Animal can't come soon enough. =D

Silentbomber

Oct 27, 2017
Good on her.

I've spent the past few minutes trying to think of a funny MGS5 pun but alas nothing. Played like a fiddle.

Chamaeleonx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good on her.

I've spent the past few minutes trying to think of a funny MGS5 pun but alas nothing. Played like a fiddle.
Isn't there some gif's with the red hand?

Otherwise something like "She got caught red handed to do x". All in good, friendly jest of course. It is great that her life improved because humanity invented these things. =)

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing for her! Its awestrucking how far technology has come. =D

The future where we actually can connect metal to nervs and build real, fully functional robot parts to supplement the human body can come soon enough.
The trinity fusion of Human, Robot and Animal can't come soon enough. =D
...and Animal?

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Cute story! I actually heard about this on the news this morning. I hope she gets her wish to throw the first pitch at every MLB stadium!

Deleted member 12379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If anyone is into 3D printing, e-nable is fantastic group making printed hands for kids. A buddy of mine runs the maker lab at a local uni near Boston that has an on-campus e-nable group. There are many clubs like this at schools across the country if anyone is interested in helping out.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic, glad this technology exists now to make prosthetics more affordable for those who need them