• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Like the Format, don't like that it is sponsored.

For clarification, I don't have an issue with Skillshare sponsoring or anything like that. I was under the impression that it was a Ubisoft sponsored "Review" video. And didn't want to give it a click (because I don't support such shenanigans), regardless of how much I like a channel or personality.

I could only decide such matters from the Information provided in the OP. And just a few weeks ago, a sponsored Video for Borderlands fell through with Gearbox promising to pay Girlfirend reviews. So it is not a big reach to conclude, that the first sponsored video meant money from a gaming company.

Last edited:

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
User banned (2 weeks): trolling, long history of infractions
What the fuck is this ? Honestly.
A BuzzFeed like trashy media company that simulate that a nerdy girl play videogames with his boyfriend so people believe is true and give them a lot of views.

It's so unbelievably fake that hurts.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
Unless publishers start sending them money I don't see the problem.

A BuzzFeed like trashy media company that simulate that a nerdy girl play videogames with his boyfriend so people believe is true and give them a lot of views.

This post reeks of someone who hasnt watched more than 10 seconds of any their videos so much it hurts.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
The annoyance some posters are displaying is similar to what I feel for the jimquistion videos. So I don't post in those threads.

Yes, let the hate flow through you.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The sponsor has NOTHING to do with the content. Let them make a living, ffs.

That this hurt you so much is really strange.

It's not "fake". They play games together, Shelby comments on Matt's playthoughs, later on Matt condenses that experience and Shelby performs it.

There is no trick. This is a perfomance piece based on their genuine interactions with each other. Your ire is pretty telling.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

The boyfriend is a screen writer iirc, or he does something in Television, he writes the scripts together with the girlfriend.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
It's becoming hard to even post here . Geez.

Anyway, great video as always . Cant wait to see the DDR part next week haha

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
It isn't even sponsored BY Ubisoft, which is what I assume you think is the issue?

Why can't they monotize exactly like every other major YouTuber?

Yes, that is what I was thinking (after they said that their Gearbox "deal" fell through). Ad sponsored YTer is the norm, why mention it?

Min

Oct 25, 2017
For the rest of us, God yes

Feels like a viral street team campaign

I don't get the purpose of sequestering topics into a mega thread. Like it's an internet forum and a topic on a video series that comes out weekly, not daily. If it wasn't popular it wouldn't be on the front page of the forum for long. If it is and people like to discuss the videos than the thread is justified.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
If angry joe gets his own fucking thread for everything he posts, girlfriend reviews can too.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, that is what I was thinking (after they said that their Gearbox "deal" fell through). Ad sponsored YTer is the norm, why mention it?

Well, they are a new and growing channel that is very meta and open about their process. It would be out of character for them to suddenly have ads and go completely unacknowledged, especially the first time. I doubt 2 months from now they will continue to draw attention to it, and just roll into like they do at the end of the video.

Alastor3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Lol what? You clearly haven't watched their stream because it isn't fake ??? Who are you for spilling nonsense?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Lol what? You clearly haven't watched their stream because it isn't fake ??? Who are you for spilling nonsense?
They clarified recently what we always knew: that it's a collaboration and a performance piece based on both of their experiences playing games together. And some nerds took it as an afront because this girl was apparently framing herself as a knowledgeable reviewer when her boyfriend was actually helping her. They were lied to, it hurt them, they need to let us know.

HamCormier

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I think their videos are great and I really don't get the hate -- they make high-quality content that's funny about video games!

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I don't get the purpose of sequestering topics into a mega thread. Like it's an internet forum and a topic on a video series that comes out weekly, not daily. If it wasn't popular it wouldn't be on the front page of the forum for long. If it is and people like to discuss the videos than the thread is justified.

At this point though it's just ignorant people coming in every week to call the videos fake or to now call them sellouts. It's probably best for an official thread become these threads are just shit since people can't just leave something they don't understand or like.

Although I still kind of want the weekly threads just to see people like buttman crying.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
At this point though it's just ignorant people Como in every week to call the videos fake or to now call them sellouts. It's probably best for an official thread become these threads are just shit since people can't just leave something they don't understand or like.

Fair point.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
This one was pretty lackluster for some reason. I generally like their vids but I didn't feel they had much to say here.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
They clarified recently what we always knew: that it's a collaboration and a performance piece based on both of their experiences playing games together. And some nerds took it as an afront because this girl was apparently framing herself as a knowledgeable reviewer when her boyfriend was actually helping her. They were lied to, it hurt them, they need to let us know.
it's about truth in girlfriend reviews.

Grimmjow

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You mad?

On topic: I had no idea animals was so hostile in Odyssey. Another great video

Spartancarver

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
An other great video that made me laugh quite a couple times. I love their humor.

Such a shame that people still come into these threads with shitposts and also tell straight up lies.

I just watched the video and there is literally 0 difference between the quality of non sponsored and sponsored videos from them. There is an advertisement at the end of the video and that's it. Nothing else changed, so what is their to not like?

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Well, they are a new and growing channel that is very meta and open about their process. It would be out of character for them to suddenly have ads and go completely unacknowledged, especially the first time. I doubt 2 months from now they will continue to draw attention to it, and just roll into like they do at the end of the video.

For clarification, I don't have an issue with Skillshare sponsoring or anything like that. I was under the impression that it was a Ubisoft sponsored "Review" video. And didn't want to give it a click (because I don't support such shenanigans), regardless of how much I like a channel or personality.

I could only decide such matters from the Information provided in the OP. And just a few weeks ago, a sponsored Video for Borderlands fell through with Gearbox promising to pay Girlfirend reviews. So it is not a big reach to conclude, that the first sponsored video meant money from a gaming company.