• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I don't understand the "cancel them!!" vibe here. Reading some of the responses in this thread it's like they went full blown Gamergate or something. I listened to the "problematic" parts, and it seems to me like these are only jokes. You can find those jokes funny or not, but I don't think they are offensive at all. And I say this as a fierce supporter of Anita and others that are doing similar work.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
I don't understand the "cancel them!!" vibe here. Reading some of the responses in this thread it's like they went full blown Gamergate or something. I listened to the "problematic" parts, and it seems to me like these are only jokes. You can find those jokes funny or not, but I don't think they are offensive at all. And I say this as a fierce supporter of Anita and others that are doing similar work.
The "joke" about Anita and patriarchy is not just unfunny, it's something GGers see that as support for their shitty takes. Mentioning PDP in some joke is also a really bad idea after all that has been going on there. They have been promoting Boogie and NakeyJakey too. It's a bigger issue when you put all of it together and I don't blame people for bringing it up. You can't decide what part of a channel people talk about in a thread about the channel's content. If people wanna keep making threads about this couple, they will have to live with the fact that people will try to discuss the problems they have with them.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, so the condemning evidence about them being trash people is a joke they've made at the start of one of their videos, and it's a sexist thing because the guy writes most of the stuff when he's a writer and she's an actress to begin with. I'm all fall calling out questionable shit but it seems like people are trying too hard to try and find something wrong about one of the safest gaming humor channels around.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Some of you need to have a lie down.

The joke may have been a bit tasteless but absolute no need for the overreaction.

AzerPhire

Oct 25, 2017
If they get an OT then so should Angry Joe, Inquisition and all the rest. Their format and rants (in the case of Jim) are typically always the same as well

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't one of the main issues when this channel began that she's an actor and it's not legit with lots of push-back against that narrative? Now it's accepted as fact that she's an actor and it's cool?

OP
OP
Kitten Mittens

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Wasn't one of the main issues when this channel began that she's an actor and it's not legit with lots of push-back against that narrative? Now it's accepted as fact that she's an actor and it's cool?
The issue early on was people didn't believe she was writing it herself. Turns out those people were right. She's a performer. He's a writer/editor. Match made in heaven.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I got a genuine question for the people feeling we should boycott the Girlfriend Reviews channel. I'm really interested in your perspective.

Today, at 1PM EST, Jack Black will be playing games with Pewdiepie in a charity stream. Jack Black has also made a lot of jokes around Pewdiepie in his own Jablinski Games channel. Should we cancel Jack Black?

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
"We" aren't doing anything. "You" can do whatever you want though.

I'm interested in people's opinion. That's why the post was formulated like that. I consciously omitted what I would personally do.

Edit, to clarify: Many people here argue that mentioning a public figure without strong condemnation equals to an association with their actions and positions. I am interested about what people would say in the case of Jack Black and Pewdiepie.

Last edited:

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people have (inexplicably) had it out for this channel from the start so I would suggest taking unsubstantiated claims they're palling around with crappy dudes with a grain of salt.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
A lot of people have (inexplicably) had it out for this channel from the start so I would suggest taking unsubstantiated claims they're palling around with crappy dudes with a grain of salt.

Since I do not watch their streams I have not seen it myself and cannot confirm anything. But this doesn't sound like it's pulled from the user's ass (pun intended):
Boogie has not been mentioned in any of their produced videos.
Based on the handful of streams I've watched, they've stated that they were fans of his, referenced him when talking about the business of running a Youtube channel, and hosted his stream on their channel after they had finished streaming.

when you also have this tweet:
Grd9icZ.png

Think of it what you will but it doesn't look very good.

(And no, I had not saved these things just to bring them up whenever. I simply googled "girlfriend reviews boogie" and that was the first result. Did the same on Era and found the post I quoted.)

I'm interested in people's opinion. That's why the post was formulated like that. I consciously omitted what I would personally do.

Edit, to clarify: Many people here argue that mentioning a public figure without strong condemnation equals to an association with their actions and positions. I am interested about what people would say in the case of Jack Black and Pewdiepie.
There is a whole thread about it.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Grd9icZ.png

Think of it what you will but it doesn't look very good.

A new channel got a shoutout from a known channel. If, say, FOX News talked about their videos, should they just ignore it because they don't agree with their political views? If you had a gaming channel and you were suddenly mentioned by Pewdiepie, you're honestly saying there would be nothing you'd say or do about it?

Let's be real for a second here please.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It's not specifically that they're palling around with crappy dudes... but let's leave that for a moment, this specific thing has nothing to do with the other dumb argument that "these are not really girlfriend reviews because the boy writes them".

This would take you a few minutes of reading this and the last few threads to realize, but instead you decided to drum a dumb narrative.

Well done.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
A new channel got a shoutout from a known channel. If, say, FOX News talked about their videos, should they just ignore it because they don't agree with their political views? If you had a gaming channel and you were suddenly mentioned by Pewdiepie, you're honestly saying there would be nothing you'd say or do about it?

Let's be real for a second here please.
I would have quite a lot to say about it, none of it remotely positive sounding. People like that would also never promote my stuff since I make it very clear that people like them are not welcome in my community.

And this wasn't about the tweet alone. It was, again, the bigger picture. The stuff I quoted.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
After their first couple videos all these gamer gate types were all like "no way she made those videos all by her girly self."
Now it turns out her boyfriend makes a script and fakewoke is muting her.

*sigh

astro

Oct 25, 2017
After their first couple videos all these gamer gate types were all like "no way she made those videos all by her girly self."
Now it turns out her boyfriend makes a script and fakewoke is muting her.

*sigh
Why are you falsely associating the two situations?

1. People claim they're not real GF reviews because Bf writes - scenario A
2. GF Reviews makes some jokes that people feel help support bigotry, and decide not to watch any more - scenario B

A + B are not the same, in fact I think you'd find they would likely be more in A that oppose B and vice versa.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
We really purity testing the GF Reviews channel now?
ResetEra is is danger of canceling itself. lol

The Anita joke is a shitty joke that the literal core of is dismissing Anita's views. This might be funny if there weren't a rabid collective of gamers whose views jokes like these help bolster.

This is not hard to understand. Neither is it hard to understand why a channel who makes jokes like these, and makes jokes that paint PDP in good light, and apparently are friends or support Boogie (not sure about this one, I read it in the previous thread), don't want to watch any more.

So SOME people on Era have said "we won't be watching".

And yet, they're often the minority in the GF reviews threads. Most people either say "I dont' see the issue" or ignore it and just chat about the videos themselves.

So., we're here again... people (you two) dishonestly framing Era when every single thread has people on both sides of the debate.

SO you don't agree this is an issue, the joke about Anita and support of people like PDP and Boogie? Cool.

I'm sure you can understand, if you try REALLY hard, why some people don't want to watch a channel that does these things.. and that it is perfectly reasonable to discuss these things in the threads that are relevant.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
We have users here that actually requested Girlfriend Reviews be banned from being discussed on Resetera. That's where we are now. It's beyond ridiculous.
We have very few people going that far.

We have more people saying "I won't watch any more" as reasoned in my previous post.

We have MORE people either ignoring the issues raised or saying they don't see an issue.

So, again, stop trying to frame this forum the way you are.

This place is OBVIOUSLY going to have a bent toward social justice issues, ffs the entire reason this place was founded was surrounding one. Stop being such a damn snowflake every time people raise their concerns... and work on your confirmation bias.

You would think at least after recent events some of these posters would have some chill or a ounce of self awareness.

Just quit it.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
We have users here that actually requested Girlfriend Reviews be banned from being discussed on Resetera. That's where we are now. It's beyond ridiculous.

Yeah I agree. Everything is discussed as if it was only black or only white, and you are immediately required to take side with a strong stance. But life isn't like that. There are many more shades of grey, but everybody immediately wants to go to the extremes.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I agree. Everything is discussed as if it was only black or only white, and you are immediately required to take side with a strong stance. But life isn't like that. There are many more shades of grey, but everybody immediately goes to the extremes.
And yet, here you are, lending your opposing voice.

SOME people see in black and white.
MORE people reasonably say "I can't support".
EVEN MORE support the channel still and don't see an issue.. while at the same time complain that "so many" are raising concerns.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Jeez at the posts here. I've caught a few of their videos here and there and enjoy the overall shtick. Sometimes I kick myself for not coming up with the idea first. But do you folks really need to make sure everyone has an opinion of whatever coincidental references they make to whoever? Is it that deep?

Yeah I agree. Everything is discussed as if it was only black or only white, and you are immediately required to take side with a strong stance. But life isn't like that. There are many more shades of grey, but everybody immediately wants to go to the extremes.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And yet, here you are, lending your opposing voice.

SOME people see in black and white.
MORE people reasonably say "I can't support".
EVEN MORE support the channel still and don't see an issue.. while at the same time complain that "so many" are raising concerns.
It seems like more than "some" because they show up in seemingly every single thread on a YouTuber and beat the same drum.

Pewdiepie has earned that response. An up-and-coming Youtuber who makes a Pewdiepie joke or retweets Boogie to grow their channel does not.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like more than "some" because they show up in seemingly every single thread on a YouTuber and beat the same drum.

Pewdiepie has earned that response. An up-and-coming Youtuber who makes a Pewdiepie joke or retweets Boogie to grow their channel does not.
That's called confirmation bias.

It's also called people being consistent with their views across multiple threads.

And the Anita joke is the one that most people found distasteful, as the core of the joke feeds into the dismissal of the rabid GG types who attack her views. It's perfectly reasonable to not want to support a channel that is happy to make jokes like that.

And it's also perfectly reasonable to not want to watch a channel that seems happy to support PDP and Boogie, when we know what the issues surrounding those people are.

You might not agree, that's fine. It's very easy to understand why people have issues, though.

Jeez at the posts here. I've caught a few of their videos here and there and enjoy the overall shtick. Sometimes I kick myself for not coming up with the idea first. But do you folks really need to make sure everyone has an opinion of whatever coincidental references they make to whoever? Is it that deep?

Sorry, what does "do you folks really need to make sure everyone has an opinion of whatever coincidental references they make to whoever" mean?

Read this: https://www.resetera.com/threads/gi...-play-grand-theft-auto-5.130225/post-22947603

Now, not everyone is going to agree these things are an issue, either one worth leaving the channel sub over or even at all, but I'm sure you can understand why some people don't want to support this channel even if you don't agree?

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
That's called confirmation bias.

It's also called people being consistent with their views across multiple threads.

Sorry, what does "do you folks really need to make sure everyone has an opinion of whatever coincidental references they make to whoever" mean?

Read this: https://www.resetera.com/threads/gi...-play-grand-theft-auto-5.130225/post-22947603

Now, not everyone is going to agree these things are an issue, either one worth leaving the channel sub over or even at all, but I'm sure you can understand why some people don't want to support this channel even if you don't agree?

I'm just completely and utterly indifferent to these so called issues. Just seems like getting worked up for the sake of having something to shake your fist at. Yes, I know of Anita, PDP, Boogie, etc but I don't care relative to GFR. They're still a relatively new channel that's just seeing some real traction and I've yet to doubt their sincerity, nor I do believe their references are anything other than pandering to their prospective audience. Whether that's an issue or not is up to you, because I couldn't care less.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's called confrimation bias.

By my count, 47 of the 91 posts in this thread are either people complaining about Girlfriend Reviews being supported, or people replying to those that are complaining about Girlfriend Reviews being supported. That's over 50% of the posts in the thread. "Confirmation bias."

astro

Oct 25, 2017
By my count, 47 of the 91 posts in this thread are either people complaining about Girlfriend Reviews being supported, or people replying to those that are complaining about Girlfriend Reviews being supported. That's over 50% of the posts in the thread. "Confirmation bias."
You're wrong:

Talking about the video
iiiiiiiiiiiiii

Talking about GF getting their own threads
iiiiiiii

Outright condemning the channel for Anita jokes/pdp and boogie support
iiii

Denying the concerns raised above
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Discussing the reasons surrounding concerns
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Discussing the format (Matt writes, Shelby acts)
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Random posts
i

-

As usual, the people outright condemning are the extreme minority, and there are more people either ignoring or denying the issues, while a bunch discuss the issues with no real weight either way.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're wrong:

Talking about the video
iiiiiiiiiiiiii

Talking about GF getting their own threads
iiiiiiii

Outright condemning the channel for Anita jokes/pdp and boogie support
iiii

Denying the concerns raised above
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Discussing the reasons surrounding concerns
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Discussing the format (Matt writes, Shelby acts)
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Random posts
i

-

As usual, the people outright condemning are the extreme minority, and there are more people either ignoring or denying the issues, while a bunch discuss the issues with no real weight either way.
I'm not wrong. I just don't distinguish between those that do the "outright condemning" and the discussions they elicit. It's all just junk clogging up the thread, and the "extreme minority" who starts it knows exactly what they're doing.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not wrong. I just don't distinguish between those that do the "outright condemning" and the discussions they elicit. It's all just junk clogging up the thread, and the "extreme minority" who causes it knows exactly what they're doing.
And they need distinction, so yes you are wrong. Of course people are going to discuss something raised in a thread...

But sure, take that dishonest approach and run with it if you need to. <3

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, okay.

I knew her boyfriend was writing, but I didn't know she had confirmed she was a performer/actor.
Bear in mind, all Matt really does is encapsulate their real world experiences into a video friendly script. It's not like he's writing fiction, the scripts are all based on their interactions while playing video games together.

So it's not as divided as: script writer - actor.

I think the honest foundation they have is a huge reason why these videos are so well done from a creative perspective, and why so many warm to them.