• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
And there are other forums you can go to that avoid this almost entirely.

Intent doesn't negate effect, too, this is the point. They should understand that.
I'm not sure what you're trying to prove to me? What other forums are you talking about? I was merely saying the intent might not have been what that poster implied.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
I really like GR but I've kinda come to think that the initial reviews felt a lot more like they were from her perspective than the later ones. This is to say nothing about their authenticity or me complaining about her DECEIVING ME or whatever, but instead that I feel like the perspective has clearly shifted into actually highlighting his voice more than hers. Sometimes literally.

I definitely agree with this. I enjoyed these more when they highlighted what I felt like was her opinion more. The RDR2 review is still my favorite because it mirrored the experience I had with my SO so perfectly. It really felt like a fresh perspective on the typical gaming YouTuber.

A lot of times it feels like they're too up to date on current gaming hot topics and memes that I feel like no one but a very engaged gamer would know, which just comes across as fake for the persona they are trying to embody.

I still enjoy them, but I do hope they find balance leaning a little more on the backseat gamer appeal.

Mzo

Nov 30, 2017
Good review. Nice Douglas Adams reference at the end.

I find this channel to be a little tryhard, but they're winning me over video by video.

Edit: Read through this thread and it's a dumpster fire. My only hesitation with the channel was that it seemed too well-produced for what it was, but their reveal cleared up that they're professionals with skill and expertise in the area, which made sense. There's honesty in their writing and execution that I don't doubt. They've hardly said anything or exhibited any views in their videos that would make me think about "cancelling" them. I'm thrilled that there's so much more awareness of social issues these days, but this shit can't have a hair trigger that cries wolf.

NakeyJakey's content is wholesome and inclusive. Let me know when he pushes a far-right agenda in his content.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
this actually made me feel a tiiiny bit like playing GTA V which is more than I can say for any bit of gaming press, forum post or video in the last 7? years

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure what you're trying to prove to me? What other forums are you talking about? I was merely saying the intent might not have been what that poster implied.
Oh, you're right I read one of your sentences wrong and thought you were saying "not everyone wants to have this conversation". My bad.

And, again, intent doesn't negate effect.

AzerPhire

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair what is there really to discuss in these videos? They use the same format every week and just talk about different games. Unlike someone like Jim Sterling who is talking about relevant topics, there is nothing to really talk about because they aren't giving particularly unique takes. That being said they since they didn't actually signal boost some piece of shit in this video so I don't think we necessarily need to talk about this stuff every single time.

Jim Sterling makes the same MTX rant over and over each episode just with the new flavor of the month game. Angry Joe makes reviews of games same as every other game site out there yet he gets his own threads outside of the normal review OTs. Why is Girlfriend Reviews the exception?

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
You're talking about intent of the joke, right? I'm saying that's not the point, because it still has a negative effect and people with a platform have a responsibility to understand this.

Not sure where the confusion is here...
I was replying to someone that was talking about the intent of the joke. In the context of my reply to him, the intent matters because that was the topic. Personally I do see a different between this and someone willfully making a sexist comment.

As I said, I have no issue if this crosses the line for you or anyone else, we all have our limits as to what we consider acceptable.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I was replying to someone that was talking about the intent of the joke. In the context of my reply to him, the intent matters because that was the topic. Personally I do see a different between this and someone willfully making a sexist comment.

As I said, I have no issue if this crosses the line for you or anyone else, we all have our limits as to what we consider acceptable.

There is obviously a difference, but there is also an effect regardless of intent. This being an open discussion, when people start speaking about their intent it's perfectly resonable for others to bring up the fact that intent is not the only factor.

So I don't understand why this is being argued.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
There is obviously a difference, but there is also an effect regardless of intent. This being an open discussion, when people start speaking about their intent it's perfectly resonable for others to bring up the fact that intent is not the only factor.

So I don't understand why this is being argued.
There is nothing to argue since I agree with you. I just didn't understand why you kept saying that. I'm away that intent doesn't negate the effect of something.

Anything beyond that, I think we'll just have to agree to disagree when it comes to this youtube channel.

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
But now you ignored the other interpretation you proposed.

The idea that petting dogs is a male fantasy is funny

Seeing how the joke has been used, the people who have used it, and the context behind the joke's existence, I find the other interpretation much more valid.

The context of the joke as used in the video, which is how this all started, was about making fun of the idea that video games were misogynistic. They knew why there were using that joke and what they wanted to say with it, and even if you somehow want to divorce all potential negative/politically charged associations from the joke in general use (which I don't think you can given who the speaker is and the context behind the joke's existence) in this specific instance it was definitely done in the shitty way.

And plenty of entertaining/alright people have done or said shitty things. Like I said I'm criticizing the instances of shitty joke's/behavior, not outright saying they shouldn't be watched.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
There is nothing to argue since I agree with you. I just didn't understand why you kept saying that. I'm away that intent doesn't negate the effect of something.

Anything beyond that, I think we'll just have to agree to disagree when it comes to this youtube channel.
I explained why I brought it up, I thought I was clear but maybe not.

Let's drop it though, I think we've both said what we need to.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
I really like GR but I've kinda come to think that the initial reviews felt a lot more like they were from her perspective than the later ones. This is to say nothing about their authenticity or me complaining about her DECEIVING ME or whatever, but instead that I feel like the perspective has clearly shifted into actually highlighting his voice more than hers. Sometimes literally.
Probably because after they started streaming reviews changed from the perspective of someone sitting in the background watching someone else play to someone co-playing/streaming the games.

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
Man, every topic I see in this forum lately has some insufferable controversy going on.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Man, every topic I see in this forum lately has some insufferable controversy going on.
It can be a bit much at times but when it comes to youtube personalities I'd rather Era let me know the deal. I'd have no idea people like Boogie or Johntron were bad people if Era didn't inform me. So I'll just have to deal with the times it happens and I disagree.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I glad you found someone to tell you what you should or should not consume.
It's a source of information that I assess on my own. If you read what I said, you'd see that I don't always agree with what Era says, as clearly stated in the post you quoted.

Unlike you, I wasn't born knowing the political and world view points of youtube gaming celebrities like Johntron. That's information that I have to discover in one way or another.

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I think I'm done following the GF Reviews threads here and I'll just continue watching the videos every now and then since it seems to be of paramount importance for some users here that we know, at all times, without a shadow of a doubt, about how much they don't like a thing.
This is the only sane approach.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I think I'm done following the GF Reviews threads here and I'll just continue watching the videos every now and then since it seems to be of paramount importance for some users here that we know, at all times, without a shadow of a doubt, about how much they don't like a thing.
Why are you on a forum if you don't like discussing things?

Why are you on Era when you know a lot of people here have concerns that are so distressing for you to read?

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Think I'm also just keeping my sub to their videos and ignoring the threads over here, they became a cesspool. Thanks for turning yet another harmless theme into something that can't be discussed on Era in a civilized fashion.

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wish we could actually start looking into the ethics of the companies that are sponsoring gaming youtube channels instead of trying to catch them out on semi-problematic offhand comments and vague associations with other people.

These folks are small businesses and should be scrutinised in an economic sense above everything else.

Yup, basically if you want to discuss videogames without getting trapped in some kind of political vortex, you're out of luck.

You're definitely going to get some bad faith reply to this comment being like "but everything is political you sound like a gamergater" etc etc. But I agree with you- no-one is denying the inescapable political nature of all art, but every time someone tries to talk about the game or the content itself, some woke-troll will come in to try and score ethical points about something which really has no relation to what you're discussing.

It's bad enough on twitter, but at least it's easier to ignore people on there. In a traditional internet forum format, it just derails every conversation.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17952

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
cover2.jpg

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
I stopped watching these videos just because they were starting to bore me.

Regarding the associations, I think they're just cynical and looking to expand their audience as much as possible. Will likely never take a real stance on anything.

Deleted member 17952

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People will always discuss this. This shouldn't surprise you about Era, some of us have these opinions.

It's utterly bizzare that people don't get this. just scroll on by.
There's nothing to scroll on by when every single page is filled with your crap. You've effectively ruined the thread, congrats I guess?

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
Can we just make a general OT instead off new thread for every video

Nah, because any discussion of a new video would get buried in pages of bashing them for making pewdiepie references

oh wait...

Anyway, I agree with GTA being hilarious. I played through the campaign when it came out but never bothered with online. Finally bought it for $15 on PC a few weeks ago and GTA Online is a friggin blast solo or with friends.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm not surprised Shelby found GTA V to be one of the more enjoyable games she watched. Often times I get too caught up in the storyline and too focused on just progressing the main missions to get a kick out of experimenting or screwing around in free-roam, and then I'll watch a video of someone pulling off some funny random crap and realize that's where these sorts of games really shine.

Can we just make a general OT instead off new thread for every video

At this point, we should have an OT for people to discuss every little thing they're concerned with in the world of YouTube while the rest of us can discuss the actual videos in the weekly threads without having to worry about derails.

crono686

Banned
Jan 21, 2018

Sadly i have to agree with you. I like watching these videos. I came in this thread hoping for a few people saying some entertaining things and giving their experiences with this game. But the derailing and these extreme opinions of just a few sentences and and tweets they did and suddenly these people are evil and should be avoided. Such extremes are not good for any human.

The youtube comments to the video are better and less extreme than the comments in this thread. I am not offended by any of this but it is sad. You people choose to be offended but you forget that nobody offended you or wanted to offend you.

Now my contribution to the thread:
I liked this video as i liked many of their other videos. It is always refreshing to me and is still a fun idea to do these kind of reviews.

GTA V was a mixed game for me though. I hated the torture mission and Franklin was the most boring character of the three. Franklin could be such a great character but he was less defined than Michael and Trevor. I hoped for a second CJ but was dissapointed. But the game lived from the hilarious moments where you drove across the city while listening to good music or to the funny radio shows and seeing funny stuff on the way. The many videos of such scenes on youtube are always fun to watch.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
This video seemed pretty harmless. I was wary after a couple of previous ones, but maybe they're more aware than we give them credit for, and they dialed back the signal boosting or whatever. I'll still be keeping an eye out for anything suspect, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I like their dynamic and they seem to have good chemistry + healthy relationship, so no qualms there.
Recently started playing GTAV (Online) again recently, and can attest to its random unrealistic happenstance being up there with the funniest stuff in all of gaming. GTA has always been good for that.

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
In the Mario maker review they fawned over nakeyjakey, so I'm not sure why they haven't been band from resetra yet