• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tawantabe

Mar 20, 2019
Fun review. Crazy how powerful the ost is. Gonna have to replay real soon, i never did any dlc.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
God, the soundtrack to these games are still so fucking incredible..

*lone nerdy tear drops while listening to Weight of the world at the end*

DarkPrince

Dec 2, 2017
This was just an all round perfect game, it's a superb gaming experience and nice to hear they enjoyed it and "got" it.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Brilliant and hilarious as always. A question, though: is it recommended to play the first Nier prior to Automata, or are they basically standalone?

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Now the tumbnail image is accurate. 2B rules.
we both know he's checkin out that 9ass
Brilliant and hilarious as always. A question, though: is it recommended to play the first Nier prior to Automata, or are they basically standalone?
Automata will spoil a few important plot points from the first NIER, although the main story itself is by and large standalone. NIER first is heavily recommended, as it really enhances Automata even though they aren't directly related most of the time.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

There's some references and minor characters, but it's not needed (clearly, judging by this game selling like at least 20-30x as many copies).

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I figured they'd love it, especially the godlike OST, game's a masterpiece, more people should play Automata :D

Its pretty much standalone, but if you do watch/play the first Nier, Automata is a bit more of a rewarding experience due to the game having some callbacks and fanservice that are a reference to the original title. I'd recommend it if you have the opportunity.

Deleted member 4292

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe you should let your boyfriend play whatever game he wants 🤔

Edit: i redact all of my previous statements. I was an asshole, and may still be. I apologize for my comments and will keep all of my comments regarding this subject matter to myself from now on.

Last edited:

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
great video, only thing missing was more Shelby singing. I recall her singing/humming quite a bit during the live stream. It me listening to the OST at work and confusing all my coworkers.

But yeah, i'd agree the story and OST were perfect but the gameplay was a bit lacking, ended up putting it on autoplay mode and just enjoying the story when I played it.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Never seen any of these video's so I might check this one out later.

That being said...Nier: Automata is an essential experience. Totally bloody amazing. The soundtrack is one of the best ever. It's the type of game that only the Japanese could design and develop.

I love it.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The production on these videos is absolutely incredible. Glad they had fun with it and it made me listen to the OST again. Beautiful game, I hope there's another NieR in the not too distant future.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Wait did that kid just do the split... like... it it easier for kids because i sure as fuck would die trying.

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
They are pretty much standalone, but Automata spoils a lot of Nier, so I'd recommend playing Nier first.
Automata has better plot and more polish, while Nier has better characters and soundtrack.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
hey now, Kh3 was worth buying

Outside of that. Pretty much yes to all of that. Yoko Taro is a thematic and literary genius, Keiichi Obake is a musical composition genius, Emi Evans and Jnique Nicole are vocal geniuses, and this entire game is pretty much genius. Arguably the best game of the gen for me, and biggest surprise announcement outside of FF7R.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
After trying out Nier 1 for a bit I actually still wanna buy that game before I get Automata.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently so. I've watched one of their videos and thought it was dreadful. So I just assume they are all the same.
If the video isn't talking about what the title says than maybe they should go for a less click baity approach?

Try actually watching the video if you care so much about the subject. Or you could just come into the thread to be a jerk about it.

It's not really "clickbaity", it's the theme of the channel.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe you should let your boyfriend play whatever game he wants 🤔
4292.jpg

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Try actually watching the video if you care so much about the subject. Or you could just come into the thread to be a jerk about it.

It's not really "clickbaity", it's the theme of the channel.
He's not wrong though and watching it would only confirm what he already thinks. The videos are very formulaic. If you didn't like one, chances are they're not for you.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I watched a summary video, but I did buy the game after finishing automata. I definitely didn't feel like I missed out on anything by not playing the first game first though.

Nekki

Banned
Mar 19, 2019
First time watching this GF reviews. Like most of the content, but it kinda ruins it for me with the cuts to meme wannabe of the office and Danny de Vito. I guess you have to find your flavor to produce YouTube videos, but it would be a lot more enjoyable for me if she just talked, or joked with no such cuts.

Anyway a nice analysis of the game and definitely up there with best games of all time.

BTW, is she supposed to not play games and watch her BF play?

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nier Automata should be played for the story and music. Because no matter how often I'm told about how Platinum games has amazing gameplay, I can never get into them. Nier Automata was no different. But I powered through similarly to how I did Nier OG because the story and music alone make it worth it.