• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
hey now, Kh3 was worth buying

Outside of that. Pretty much yes to all of that. Yoko Taro is a thematic and literary genius, Keiichi Obake is a musical composition genius, Emi Evans and Jnique Nicole are vocal geniuses, and this entire game is pretty much genius. Arguably the best game of the gen for me, and biggest surprise announcement outside of FF7R.

Man i still remember the Drakenier fanbase exploding (me included) at the reveal back at the old place.

Deleted member 4292

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
4292.jpg
Thanks for insulting me. Loving it

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for insulting me. Loving it

Thanks for coming into a topic about a video, not watching the video, and then complaining about the video and the ones that make the video even though you didn't enjoy the first video of theirs you watched.

Maybe, I dunno, spend some time watching videos you do enjoy?

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Incredible review as always this time specially the edit was hilarious and well done as always but laughed a lot again :D

[edit]

Best part of the review:

This was me during one of the boss fights when the music kicked in, not kidding. I'm glad I was not playing on hard lol.

EDIT: and thread went to shit, like clockwork.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
First time watching this GF reviews. Like most of the content, but it kinda ruins it for me with the cuts to meme wannabe of the office and Danny de Vito. I guess you have to find your flavor to produce YouTube videos, but it would be a lot more enjoyable for me if she just talked, or joked with no such cuts.

Anyway a nice analysis of the game and definitely up there with best games of all time.

BTW, is she supposed to not play games and watch her BF play?

The editing and meme stuff is pretty core to what she's doing. Without it, it's just another person whose opinion isn't anything special talking about games.

Voodoowoolf

Oct 31, 2017
Currently on my first play through and on route c. It's so good and this is dumb but it's like the most human game I've ever played (themes, characters, writing etc). The OST is godly and I sometimes leave my character in the resistence camp just to listen to that song.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
So this is the first review from this channel I've seen and it made me laugh out loud multiple times.

Man i still remember the Drakenier fanbase exploding (me included) at the reveal back at the old place.

I was watching it with my friends live at the time and almost cried. I don't think I've ever been more excited for any game, and it delivered everything I wanted.

The music, character designs, thought-provoking themes, rich atmosphere of wistful loneliness, sharp incisive writing JRPG's to shame, creative and effective use of gameplay to reinforce the story, godlike OST, etc. Easily the best JRPG of the decade, by far, on its music and writing alone. Nothing else even comes close for me except for the first Nier.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
I've been looking forward to this since they started the channel and it definitely delivered. Fantastic episode.
Love this game so much.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Brilliant and hilarious as always. A question, though: is it recommended to play the first Nier prior to Automata, or are they basically standalone?

Are you actually curious? Then yes. Absolutely play it. When connections in Automata show up, it will feel meaningful in a way you will not quite follow or be aware of otherwise. It isn't completely necessary to play in order to understand Automata's pivotal moments but Nier 1 is an interesting and unique game all the same.

If you are the type that is less open-minded and race to the internet to whinge over any aspect of game design that doesn't feel modern or expedient, then Nier as a whole may not be for you. There are moments of padding and progression tasks that may drag, but overall it's a pretty interesting curio with lovely music and many moments worth experiencing despite some imperfections.

DVCY201

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I gotta replay Automata again sometime. Heck, I should pull out the original NieR too.

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Brilliant and hilarious as always. A question, though: is it recommended to play the first Nier prior to Automata, or are they basically standalone?
Watch an LP of Nier, its gameplay really doesn't hold up mechanically, it's much better enjoyed conceptually and on the merits of its story.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't enjoy the game at all, if anything I found it to be highly disappointing after all the praise it had gotten online.

Did they ever fix the terrible PC version or is it still a terrible train wreck?

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
Did they ever fix the terrible PC version or is it still a terrible train wreck?
Nope, Square has been pretty scummy about it, promoting the game and giving it a GOTY release but has been totally miserly when it comes to paying anyone to improve the port. Even as someone who loved the game I am sore about it and can't really fault people not wanting to play it, although the port played perfectly for me with no issues.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Thanks for the replies, everybody, very helpful! A couple more questions: about how long would it take to play Automata to its "true" conclusion (ending E, I guess it is?); and are there any major spoilers or emotional moments not featured in Shelby's video, or did she basically nail them all? I often read wikis or watch vids of games as I play through them, but if there are still important discoveries to be experienced, I'll try to refrain.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
You think people should... not play one of the best games this gen?

Huh.

I honestly agree with him, that game did absolutely nothing for me and it was far from the revelatory masterpiece this forum makes it out to be.

Good on the people that really enjoyed the game, it just wasn't my thing.

benbeau

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I already beat it twice, but I think I need to play Automata again. Game's a masterpiece.

Great review as usual.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Damn this channel hasn't disappointed me once since it started, always such a fun watch. In regards to Nier I still can't believer I tear up when I hear the Pascal theme, damn game hurt me.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I haven't played the game so stopped at the spoiler section but great video.

"That's why they call the game 'Near a tomato'" hahaha

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the replies, everybody, very helpful! A couple more questions: about how long would it take to play Automata to its "true" conclusion (ending E, I guess it is?);

It's been a minute for me, but I think it's around 20-25 hours if you're mainly focused on the main story. It can get a lot longer though depending on how into the sidequests you get.

And yea, the main routes (think of them as chapters of a book) are A-E in that order.

and are there any major spoilers or emotional moments not featured in Shelby's video, or did she basically nail them all? I often read wikis or watch vids of games as I play through them, but if there are still important discoveries to be experienced, I'll try to refrain.

She nailed most of it, but not everything, so I would definitely refrain.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the replies, everybody, very helpful! A couple more questions: about how long would it take to play Automata to its "true" conclusion (ending E, I guess it is?); and are there any major spoilers or emotional moments not featured in Shelby's video, or did she basically nail them all? I often read wikis or watch vids of games as I play through them, but if there are still important discoveries to be experienced, I'll try to refrain.
I finished E week ago, took me 46 hours with 95% sidequest completion.

The game has flaws (ugly environments and gfx in general, lazy sidequest design, unnecessary B route) but the story, music and originality carry it well. I loved it overall.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just really didn't get the appeal of this game. Went all the way through it and I have...no feelings about it. I didn't hate it or like it. It was just completely forgettable and I struggle to see why people find it so impressive.

I don't know. I guess I just wasn't the target audience here. I'm clearly in the minority but I have no urge to go back to it and I can't really think of a single scene that caused me any emotions.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nier Replicant has a beautiful OST but uhh I don't think it's worth playing at all. Just go straight to Automata.
Noooo wrong this is bad. Nier 1 is the better game
They're not standalone. Automata is a direct sequel to Nier and while you can appreciate the new story and characters of Automata to some extent without playing the original, they are closely linked in terms of the lore of the series, thematically, musically, artistically. Everything about your experience of Automata will be enhanced by playing the first game and I can't recommend Automata to anyone without playing Nier 1 first. Nier 1 is also the best game ever made, so just play it. Please

Oct 27, 2017
First time watching this GF reviews. Like most of the content, but it kinda ruins it for me with the cuts to meme wannabe of the office and Danny de Vito. I guess you have to find your flavor to produce YouTube videos, but it would be a lot more enjoyable for me if she just talked, or joked with no such cuts.

Anyway a nice analysis of the game and definitely up there with best games of all time.

BTW, is she supposed to not play games and watch her BF play?
Their process is pretty much as follows:

- They pick a game to play/watch
- They stream it on Twitch with Matt playing and Shelby commenting and reading viewers' comments
- The boyfriend (Matt) writes a script based on his and her reactions to the game during their time playing/watching
- The girlfriend (Shelby) reads the script and ad-libs and puts her own unique spin on it (she's an actress)
- Matt then puts the video together (he's a professional editor)

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
I'm a little surprised the review is so positive. Not because Nier Automata isn't great (it is), but I watched a good portion of their streams and they seemed very annoyed with it at times. Seemed like they didn't like route B, they didn't like hacking, they hated the part before
2B died.
Matt even said he was gonna quit after he died and had to reload a save and do that part again. And for the bulk of route C he kept saying they were ready for it to be over. I haven't seen the end of route C+D+E in their stream so I guess the extremely strong ending sections brought them back around.

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently so. I've watched one of their videos and thought it was dreadful. So I just assume they are all the same.
If the video isn't talking about what the title says than maybe they should go for a less click baity approach?
You've watched it but still don't get what it is or the spirit in which it's intended? You think a woman is trying to tell a man what to do and this bothers you?

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
The editing in this one is off the charts. The Sesame Street Letters, the Wii Shop UI ... fantastic.

KnightimeX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine having trust issues like this.
I mean if a video game is causing that big of a deal to you then it's time to move on.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Last edited:

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Easily one of my top 5 games and my favorite game to come out that year, which was unexpected considering I'm a huge Persona and Danganronpa fan and 5 and V3 came out that year.

KnightimeX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Misrepresenting thread content and arguing in bad faith, previous severe infractions relating to misogyny
I mean, I don't know why I'm asking, but did you watch the video??????

And if you do lemme know so I can edit your comment out and we forget this happened. xD
If the topic header and thread content contain different meanings of context that's a different story.
Taking what I see at face value. Didn't care to watch the video if it's what I thought it was going be.