• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
HjK9Tdn.png

DEVELOPER: Namco Bandai Ent. Japan
PUBLISHER: Namco Bandai Ent. Japan (Asia for SEA)
PLATFORMS: PS4 Exclusive
RELEASE DATES: JP: Feb. 22nd 2018, Asia-English: Feb. 27th
LANGUAGES: Japanese Audio Only. English/Korean/Chinese Subs/UI for SEA Copies.
PRICE (LIST/MSRP): ¥11,100 (JP) Premium Edition. Standard: ¥7600, $53.99 USD (Play-Asia, Eng Subs)
PSN PRICE: ¥8208, S$79.90, HK$479.00
GAME SIZE: 4.13 GB
OFFICIAL WEBSITE: http://game-garupan.bn-ent.net/
REVIEWS:
Famitsu - 9/8/7/8 [32/40], Destructoid: 7.5/10, PSBR 85% (Post #144).
TROPHY LIST: https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/7280-girls-und-panzer-dream-tank-match

l3RDEgW.png

(Premium Edition Pictured Above.)

======================
Overview
======================

About the Game: Girls und Panzer: Dream Tank Match is a 3rd-person Tank action game based on and around the popular anime/manga/game franchise of the same name. In this game you will be turning your treads and turrets separately, with over 30 WW2 tanks to choose from and 9 commanders each representing a different school. As in the anime you'll be able to drift and sprint in stylish, frantic and exaggerated combat. Dream Tank Match features an Original Story mode where the girls gather to discuss and look back on the events of the animated film. During this story there are many interactions and new conversations between the characters fans of the series have come to love. The game also features 5 Vs. 5 multiplayer, Tank and Crew Customization, plus a "Battle mode" which features randomized tournaments against AI with a special battle against giant BOCO.

Setting and Story Outline: "The story takes place in a universe where historical World War II–era tanks are maintained for sport-style warfare competitions and large carrier ships known as Academy Ships support mobile sea communities. Of the many activities high school girls can participate in, one of the most popular is "sensha-dō" (戦車道, lit. "the way of the tank"), the art of operating tanks, which is considered a traditional martial art.

Miho Nishizumi, a girl from a prestigious family of sensha-dō practitioners who became traumatized by a past event, transfers to Ōarai Girls High School to get away from sensha-dō, as she presumed the school was no longer practicing the sport. However, shortly after Miho begins her new school life and makes some new friends, the student council announces the revival of sensha-dō at Ōarai and coerces Miho, the only student with prior experience, to join. While reluctant to join at first, having practically been forced, Miho soon warms up to sensha-dō and they enter a national championship, facing off against various other schools, in a competition that becomes a serious matter after Miho and the others learn that their school will be closed should they not win."
- Wikipedia

IuFuEJU.gif
Jbr6mSE.gif

BlueImmaculateAffenpinscher.gif
RigidOrangeCardinal.gif

(Gifs Courtesy of Xenosaga )​

======================
F.A.Q.
======================

English Subs you say? How can I purchase this?

- Indeed my good sir, English subs are available in all SEAsia copies. These are the PSN Account Regions with access to the SEAsian PSN Store - Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Philippines, and Indonesia. Generally Hong Kong gets the same content as well. To purchase this game then you will need to import a physical copy from Amazon, Ebay, Play-Asia, YesAsia, etc... Or you may create a PSN account from any of the regions listed above and buy it digitally.

Do I need to watch any anime to enjoy this?
- Well, like every other game which is part of another franchise, probably not. It will enhance your experience no doubt though. In that case, the minimum would probably be the 12 Episode anime series, and not essential, but highly recommended the first film, Girls und Panzer der Film.

Thread Title Explained:
- "Keep Calm and Carry On." was a motivational poster produced by the British government in 1939 in preparation for World War II. Seeing as GuP revolves around WW2 Tanks, I found it fit quite well to alter that slightly compared to other memey titles I was entertaining before stumbling on this little fact. Some titles I considered were "Stug Life," "Hetzers Gonna Hetz," and "You Start by Taking Off Your Clothes" (a reference to when Aya asked the internet how to start her Tank.)

======================
Screens & Trailers
======================

Screens by way of Gematsu said:

======================
Thread Rules
======================

1. Be good to each other, general forum etiquette applies.
  2. This is not a thread to bemoan the current state of anime, sorry.
  3. Likewise GuP fans this is not a thread to discuss the anime at length, but it should be okay to speak about the anime in relation to the game.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Echo

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Second OT from me, lemme know if anything needs fixin'.

Enjoy GuP fans. We've got about 54 hours until the JP launch. Don't understand why digital pre-orders aren't up yet, Bandai is cutting it close. They did promise pre-order DLC for digital copies so... any time now lol.

Asia English players will have to wait until the 27th sadly.
=========

Update:

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
so this game has scantily clad adolescent anime girls and WW2 tanks

sounds like the ultimate game for the anime-reich

am i wrong

You are exceptionally wrong? The uniforms are standard School outfits for Japan and the series director infamously banned all panty-shots during production of the anime. GuP was pretty modest in regards to fanservice. So uh, if all you're gonna do is bait would you kindly piss off instead of ruining an OT for actual fans?
looks like i was wrong, very good to hear the bolded

sorry

Last edited:

gillian03

Oct 28, 2017
Is this... the real Anzio battle...?

Seriously I had no idea this was coming out. And the graphics look great too!

OP
OP
Echo

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
so this game has scantily clad anime girls and WW2 tanks

am i wrong

You are exceptionally wrong? The uniforms are standard School outfits for Japan and the series director infamously banned all panty-shots during production of the anime. GuP was pretty modest in regards to fanservice. So uh, if all you're gonna do is bait would you kindly piss off instead of ruining an OT for actual fans?

Edit: Just to be clear, I don't mind if inquisitive people want to ask questions and such, see if the game is for them... but there is no need for accusations and assumptions. :)

Last edited:

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I was writing a reply to that post and saw yours. Yeah, that post is definitely not appropriate.

To others who stumble into this thread, the fan service is more on the military side and towards the history buff instead of people who love watching scantily clad anime girls. The series is truly well done on the references, character development, and combat side.

OP
OP
Echo

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Is this... the real Anzio battle...?

Seriously I had no idea this was coming out. And the graphics look great too!

I wanna say it's being made on Unreal 4 which is helping the graphics and effects stand out, but I'm not 100% sure because I haven't seen a logo or mention of unreal in any press materials or trailers.

Looking forward to impressions.

Panzer vor!

I'm getting the Premium edition to have as a physical copy, but it still hasn't shipped yet. :(

I'm gonna double-dip on a digital copy of the Asian version though once that is up. Hopefully we get some impressions before then, but I had no illusions this was gonna be a popular game lol. Feb. is packed with anime games in general, so I gotta imagine wallets and fans are spread pretty thin as it is.
=========

Edit: Also meant to add, after reading some quite fine print at the end of the trailers it states that the pre-order and early purchase DLC will be available until March 26th, so I'm guessing they might not bother with digital pre-orders and instead just launch the game on the 22nd and 27th to their respective digital stores.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1273

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so this game has scantily clad adolescent anime girls and WW2 tanks

am i wrong

looks like i was wrong, very good to hear the bolded

sorry
Please, don't say stuff like this, most users do OTs in order to boost the sales of certain games, as act of just pure love or just because it's a challenge. You are throwing away all the good will and intentions with such comments

OP
OP
Echo

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
I'll be updating the OP as we get closer to release, with game size, more reviews hopefully, and the trophy list once that goes up.

Interested in hearing opinions about the Singleplayer, the game looks genuinly great.

It actually does! Some military stuff is always welcome

I am excited to revisit the series through the Story mode, but let's not forget Battle mode which is also singleplayer. The randomized aspects sound like it could be pretty amazing.

https://gematsu.com/2017/12/girls-u...-battle-mode-decal-customization-tank-actions

Shengar

Oct 26, 2017
I was writing a reply to that post and saw yours. Yeah, that post is definitely not appropriate.

To others who stumble into this thread, the fan service is more on the military side and towards the history buff instead of people who love watching scantily clad anime girls. The series is truly well done on the references, character development, and combat side.
The characters are exceptionally well done as well. It is rarely to see female characters being competitively serious in 'sports' like this. All the accusation of GuP being yet another pandering anime makes me sad because everyone could learn a thing or two from this series :/

Anyway, does the featured schools are the only one from the anime and the movie?

gillian03

Oct 28, 2017
Anyway, does the featured schools are the only one from the anime and the movie?

Not sure. But so far I can spot characters from Anzio, St. Gloriana, Kuromorimine, Chihatan, Pravda, and Saunders. I also see some characters from the film as well - the Finnish-looking school and the University team.

OP
OP
Echo

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever

Here is the official website's character/tank list: http://game-garupan.bn-ent.net/character/

Sorry there is only a JP website. But clicking through it you can see they have listed 8 School so far, and the University Team (led by Alice) will be the 9th. So yeah, the 9 schools in the game will all have been featured in the anime/movie.

... The BC Freedom Team will feature in the new GuP movie series, (6 movies, titled GuP das Finale) so maybe they will be added later to the game in a patch or as DLC! :)

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017

Edit: Just to be clear, I don't mind if inquisitive people want to ask questions and such, see if the game is for them... but there is no need for accusations and assumptions. :)

Panzer statt Pantsu

Game looks pretty fun. Should really watch the series. Have been meaning to give it a try for a while

Last edited:

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
This looks actually good. And I always liked "Tank"-action.
Any chances for a western release? Might buy this when it drops in price, but that is usually unlikely with asia-english-versions.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Very interested in reading some impressions. I have the Vita game and it was fine for what it was but was pretty simple and I didn't like the controls (a tank game without tank controls is just silly). So curious if things turned out better here.

My understanding here is that there is no campaign retelling the story from the show and that is kinda a bummer, but I'm probably fine with it if all of the main locales and characters are represented. That and whenever you fight Pravda they have to sing Katyusha.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Echo

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
This looks actually good. And I always liked "Tank"-action.
Any chances for a western release? Might buy this when it drops in price, but that is usually unlikely with asia-english-versions.

Highly doubt a Western release sadly. Not sure what the hesitation is because many GuP fans are foreign military and history otaku lol. If I had to guess I'd bet on licensing issues and such, after all, you have many popular seiyuu and the game has it's own theme, Japans laws regarding content distribution and licensing tend to be pretty... draconian.

Plus Bandai is already bringing so many anime games lately, Little Witch, and Seven Deadly Sins this month alone! Maybe they didn't want to risk too much haha.

Very interested in reading some impressions. I have the Vita game and it was fine for what it was but was pretty simple and I didn't like the controls (a tank game without tank controls is just silly). So curious if things turned out better here.

At the very least I know Tank controls are in this game! In the Press materials they specifically mentioned turning your turret and treads separately via the sticks.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Hm... Kinda want to check it out just to drive around in the Ōarai map and see how much of the town they modelled :p

koutoru

Oct 27, 2017
My understanding here is that there is no campaign retelling the story from the show and that is kinda a bummer, but I'm probably fine with it if all of the main locales and characters are represented. That and whenever you fight Pravda they have to sing Katyusha.

Probably because the Vita game focused on retelling the main story of the anime series. This game's campaign is a retelling of the anime movie from different perspectives.

Loona

Oct 29, 2017
So this is getting the recent Super Robot Wars treatment of an unlikely western release getting English subtitles for a supposedly south Asian release... getting tempted...

I love the show (it really shines in its action scenes and respect for its characters despite the silly premise), but I never really got the hang of FPS-ish gameplay, so i'm not sure if i would enjoy this, especially considering Hippo team is the best but their tank has a fixed turret...

BTW, is there a way to get their paintjob from the early episodes?

Stug_III_Conqueror.png

BTW, I can't understate how much more the shows leans on the history and engineering of the tanks than any fanservice based on the girls:

Zoantharia

Oct 30, 2017
I remember being pleasantly surprised by this anime. Expected generic trash but got a genuinely fun time with likeable characters and hilarious, inventive physics-defying tank battles. Last I heard they were going to make a few more movies? What happened to those?

On the game side of things I'm wondering how much depth is there to this game? Are we just charging in guns blazing or is there any strategy or tactics element? Wish they had an original story as well... but no luck on that front I'm afraid

Last edited:

Booki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I've been up for a while so I may be trippin', but are those tanks drifting during combat?

I wish all of y'all the best, 'cause that's some delightful content.

KyouG

Oct 26, 2017
I completely forgot to preorder this on Amazon JP because of Monster Hunter World-induced haze. You guys think it's worth getting the LE or should I just go for the regular edition? Wondering if BN will do another run of the LE...

Filament Star

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still can't believe we're getting this game in English, I can't wait for next week. Hopefully it's better than the Vita game though, which was alright but pretty basic. There are online battles this time, at least.

OP
OP
Echo

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Do you know how much it will be in HK PSN ?

I seriously spent more this month than I should, but if the game is fun I might bite next month

Usually new games range from 440 HKD up to 490 HKD. Play-Asia wants 54 USD for physical copy of the Asia version, so I think the PSN price will be around 420-440 HKD.

I remember being pleasantly surprised by this anime. Expected generic trash but got a genuinely fun time with likeable characters and hilarious, inventive physics-defying tank battles. Last I heard they were going to make a few more movies? What happened to those?

On the game side of things I'm wondering how much depth is there to this game? Are we just charging in guns blazing or is there any strategy or tactics element? Wish they had an original story as well... but no luck on that front I'm afraid
The first one was released in Japanese theaters in December.

Yep. Six new OVA's. The first released in theaters back in December and made over 4 million USD in pre-sales alone. :)

I've been up for a while so I may be trippin', but are those tanks drifting during combat?

I wish all of y'all the best, 'cause that's some delightful content.

lhkjkom.gif

Drifting is an integral part of GuP's tank action!

So this is getting the recent Super Robot Wars treatment of an unlikely western release getting English subtitles for a supposedly south Asian release... getting tempted...

I love the show (it really shines in its action scenes and respect for its characters despite the silly premise), but I never really got the hang of FPS-ish gameplay, so i'm not sure if i would enjoy this, especially considering Hippo team is the best but their tank has a fixed turret...

BTW, is there a way to get their paintjob from the early episodes?

Stug_III_Conqueror.png

BTW, I can't understate how much more the shows leans on the history and engineering of the tanks than any fanservice based on the girls:

I can't be 100% sure just yet, but the customization of the tanks is a big part of this game so I have to imagine that this skin/paintjob is somewhere in the game waiting to be unlocked.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1484

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got that pre-ordered as soon as I finished the anime! I didn't expect to get as hooked as I got with cute girls doing cute tank things lol

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
There is no Leopon Team on the website...surely they are in right?

OP
OP
Echo

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
This looks really fun, but the hell is wrong with her face ?

If I remember right, this was from the stream back in September? It was quite buggy, and that is the reason it got delayed until now. (Original release date was Winter 2017)

In that second gif, her face is glitched lol.

With Xenosaga 's permission, I'd like to include the other two gifs in the OP though. :)

Surely. Keep in mind the official website also doesn't list the University Team which we already know is confirmed, and still has "new" status for Mallard and Usagi teams. I think they will update the website once more on release day. At least I hope so lol.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
If I remember right, this was from the stream back in September? It was quite buggy, and that is the reason it got delayed until now. (Original release date was Winter 2017)

In that second gif, her face is glitched lol.

With Xenosaga 's permission, I'd like to include the other two gifs in the OP though. :)
yeah you can include the gifs in the OP no problem.

OP
OP
Echo

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever

Actually they have a bunch of these tweets on the SEA Bandai page, but I never realized because I tend to avoid social media lol.

So it's nice to know that not just the Commanders, but each Captain will have their own skill.

I wonder if Rosehip's ability will be a speed boost or an instant U-turn lol.

5kWwiwp.gif

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
This looks so dope, I should really get around to watching the anime of this.

As a resident of the UK, which is my best avenue with obtaining this? Making a HK PSN account or importing from Play Asia? I assume the latter will incur some pretty hefty import duties/taxes which will make the digital purchase actually cheaper?

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I preordered this, can't wait for it.

Xiofire, I ordered from amiami and I'm in the UK

OP
OP
Echo

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever

Having got some sleep finally, I realize I missed my opportunity earlier to make a joke about how thier tank broke down again and they couldn't make it. :p

This looks so dope, I should really get around to watching the anime of this.

As a resident of the UK, which is my best avenue with obtaining this? Making a HK PSN account or importing from Play Asia? I assume the latter will incur some pretty hefty import duties/taxes which will make the digital purchase actually cheaper?

Can't say I know too much about British taxes except that whenever I ship my English chaps something they insist I lie about the value and claim it's worth less than $20 so they can avoid penalties or whatever lol.

If you're lookin' for the cheapest (or fastest) option, it probably will be the Hong Kong store assuming they get the game. I won't guarantee it because Hong Kong doesn't fall under the SEA Umbrella, but in my experience 98% of the PSN store contents match my Singapore Account.

I preordered this, can't wait for it.

Xiofire, I ordered from amiami and I'm in the UK

Well stuck waiting anyway! Welcome to the waiting train.

Although CDJapan moved my order to the preparation phase, so that's good news, hopefully shipping soon.

We need to know if The Maus can drift too or not.

It's in the game as seen here, and playable! But they mentioned in PR that low-mobility tanks can't drift.

... Maybe once the Maus ejects it's extra armor and treads though!

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
fucking yes

any chance of eng or am i just going to have to tech up my jpn

/edit oh i guess i'll have to import an SEA huh

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
So what's the age-appropriate range for this game? Is it creepy or suitable for younger players?

Given my daughter's growing love of anime & gaming I'm thinking about this.