• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Echo

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Damn thanks for the impressions.

Yeah no problemo. :) If anybody has questions and such don't be afraid to ask!

anyone organizing MP games yet? I will have this shortly (I hope)

Are there even 10 of us with the game yet? lol. Physical buyers still waiting for shipping. I didn't really wanna play online personally, there's no benefit and none of it counts towards the grindy trophies. It could be really tense though, so maybe I will check it out.

Pants are for!? (Thank you!)

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
So is this better than the Vita game? lol
Honestly I wish they'd just take the WoT engine and slap moe girls on top of it. Seems easy.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Is the game fun. I really like the anime and I want to play this eventually but lately I keep buying games and not finishing anything and I haven't even gotten far in MHW and I feel like I'm being stupid buying more stuff. :(

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
There's a guy streaming it right now on twitch - the MP game looks fun. SP seems like it only exists for you to unlock things to use in MP.

OP
OP
Echo

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
We need to know if The Maus can drift too or not.

Can definitively answer this now, and no, the Maus cannot drift lol. It does have two cannons though!

So is this better than the Vita game? lol
Honestly I wish they'd just take the WoT engine and slap moe girls on top of it. Seems easy.

Well it's not WoT, and it's not trying to be but it definitely is better than the Vita game. Better controls, better mechanics, quite a bit more depth.

Is the game fun. I really like the anime and I want to play this eventually but lately I keep buying games and not finishing anything and I haven't even gotten far in MHW and I feel like I'm being stupid buying more stuff. :(

If you're a fan of the anime and really enjoyed the characters that is plenty of incentive right there. I think it is super fun and for me it comes at the right time to actually take a breather from the grind of MHW. To be 100% real with you, this game is maybe just above b-tier budget wise, but damn if the mechanics and gameplay doesn't make up for it! Maybe a bit of the fun could be blunted if you have a low tolerance for repetition? Personally i have a lot of fun replaying the missions on their higher difficulties because it's quite heart pounding. The timer makes it so you have to engage, the AI gets aggressive, the damage you take is increased, so it really comes down to out maneuvering your opponent and learning your Tank's strong points to exploit those within the mechanics of the game.

Plus there is the tournament mode, with it's randomized elements that could help things feel fresh.

mute Takeru have the game as well, maybe they can share opinions too. :)

OP
OP
Echo

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
- It took me 10+ hours of playing to notice, but all recording is blocked during the game. Just straight up, from the time you start the game to the time you close it, no share features.
- Online by yourself is butts. People quit left and right at the first sign of trouble. I stuck out a 1 Vs. 3 in my Porsche Tiger lol. Leopon Team rocks and Nakajima has a healing skill! :D
- Rosehip and her Crusader are the worst. If you gotta so somewhere in a straight line, fine, she's absolutely the fastest. The moment you move the stick even a mm off the center though? Urgh. There is a story mission where you gotta chase down Miho and destroy the Panzer IV in under 3 minutes... This will test the patience of some I think.
- It's probably best to clear Story mode first to have a larger tank selection. I've beaten all the Extra missions on Normal and Hard now, but still can't use/customize any University Team tanks. ... but I'm only on Ch.4 or whatever of the story. I imagine you unlock some University Tanks by the time you get there in Story Mode.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017

Keeping in mind this comes from someone who really likes GuP and who had a good time with the Vita game even though it was generally seen as a bad game. I have no experience with other tank games like World of Tanks so consider that as well.

I think if you look at this game as someone who has no prior knowledge of the show you can consider the baseline for this game to be in the 6/7 out of 10 range. Being a fan of the show, getting enjoyment out of seeing characters ride around in tanks sipping tea, seeing tanks dropped from planes, the usual banter you would expect from characters, is going to add on to that and vary wildly from person to person. But you are looking at a game primarily for fans here. I might be grinning from ear to ear just navigating some of the menus because of the stuff they pull from the show, but that can be completely lost to others.

The actual game play itself, controlling the tanks, combat is pretty simple. Similar enough to the Vita game control wise with some of the way abilities are used tweaked and some new things as well (drifting, shooting the tracks off other tanks). The game is of course much nicer to look at than before but is still pretty jaggy and the framerate isn't great. Lots of little details in the town but not much going on besides your tanks riding around. Haven't unlocked all the maps yet but some are bigger than I expected. Unlocking tanks, decals and paints to customize them is fun. "Hey I can put that random crew member from episode x on my team?!" is fun.

There are a few things I was hoping for personally that didn't happen that are a bit disappointing. You get one control config and that is pretty much it. It is still very much action-ey and arcade-ey. The game balance leans toward making it easier to drive and move, easier to target and hit the enemy, and tanks (possibly) taking many hits to disable. Depending on where you are hitting the enemy it can take very little or next to no damage and you need to work around to the back to do more. I was kinda hoping the game would slow down a bit and feel more like I imagine driving a complicated tank to be, and each shot being more dangerous and meaningful but oh well (maybe harder difficulties are better at this?) I'd also like more control over teammate positioning and orders but that is a pretty rare thing to get I guess.

If someone is in the fan of the show and a simple, not that cerebral tank action game sounds fun, then yeah I would recommend it. If not, I'd probably look up the few streams on twitch and should get a good idea of what the game is like.

Last edited:

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
That looks really nice in the driving skills video with the drifts and boosts and jumps, lol. I wanna play it :o)

Though I wish they did something more mature rather than all cute and moe and fan service with the IP, like a cross between Girls und Panzer and the serious tone of So Ra No Wo To or Valkyria Chronicles.

Like, maybe a sequel with a somber more realistic tone where they're all grown up and need to engage in actual war using the skills they learned in their academies. Sad reunions with rivals as real enemies etc.

Still Girls und Panzer the anime was good for what it was, some charming characters there and I truly love the concept of "the way of the tank" being a "martial art" of the world.

Panzaaaah, VOR!

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
This looked like good mindless fun but was hoping for more arcade like action with easy controls and such.
It is pretty arcade like and I couldn't imagine more simpler controls. Drive around, lock on, fire.

Your tanks have stats in different categories which can be modified slightly depending who is on your team but it doesn't really have any major sim elements.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1484

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What about the soundtrack in this game? Is it the same as the one used in the anime? I need to drive the Panzer IV while listening to this:

OP
OP
Echo

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Keeping in mind this comes from someone who really likes GuP and who had a good time with the Vita game even though it was generally seen as a bad game. I have no experience with other tank games like World of Tanks so consider that as well.

I think if you look at this game as someone who has no prior knowledge of the show you can consider the baseline for this game to be in the 6/7 out of 10 range. Being a fan of the show, getting enjoyment out of seeing characters ride around in tanks sipping tea, seeing tanks dropped from planes, the usual banter you would expect from characters, is going to add on to that and vary wildly from person to person. But you are looking at a game primarily for fans here. I might be grinning from ear to ear just navigating some of the menus because of the stuff they pull from the show, but that can be completely lost to others.

The actual game play itself, controlling the tanks, combat is pretty simple. Similar enough to the Vita game control wise with some of the way abilities are used tweaked and some new things as well (drifting, shooting the tracks off other tanks). The game is of course much nicer to look at than before but is still pretty jaggy and the framerate isn't great. Lots of little details in the town but not much going on besides your tanks riding around. Haven't unlocked all the maps yet but some are bigger than I expected. Unlocking tanks, decals and paints to customize them is fun. "Hey I can put that random crew member from episode x on my team?!" is fun.

There are a few things I was hoping for personally that didn't happen that are a bit disappointing. You get one control config and that is pretty much it. It is still very much action-ey and arcade-ey. The game balance leans toward making it easier to drive and move, easier to target and hit the enemy, and tanks (possibly) taking many hits to disable. Depending on where you are hitting the enemy it can take very little or next to no damage and you need to work around to the back to do more. I was kinda hoping the game would slow down a bit and feel more like I imagine driving a complicated tank to be, and each shot being more dangerous and meaningful but oh well (maybe harder difficulties are better at this?) I'd also like more control over teammate positioning and orders but that is a pretty rare thing to get I guess.

If someone is in the fan of the show and a simple, not that cerebral tank action game sounds fun, then yeah I would recommend it. If not, I'd probably look up the few streams on twitch and should get a good idea of what the game is like.

Thanks for coming back to post this. Do you play on Pro or base PS4? I dunno if the game is enhanced for Pro or not, but I have noticed Performance issues as well but not like detrimental to the experience or anything.

For teammate positions, there isn't much you can do in story mode but for the extra missions and tournaments use the tactics board! (Bottom-right touchpad press) From there you can set their AI pattern and even give them coordinates (represented by x's on the map.)

Harder difficulties are super fun, it's where I'm racking up the most playtime. Not slower though. Blitzkrieg is name of the game lol. It's very tense because of the timer and increased damage, you can't be coy with your opponent because they will wreck your shit in just a few hits. So that's where pressing the mechanics of your tank to the max comes in handy, and that pressure is what makes it fun to me.

What about the soundtrack in this game? Is it the same as the one used in the anime? I need to drive the Panzer IV while listening to this:

This song is in! :) I think most of the OST is tbh, probably another reason the recording of gameplay is blocked.

Both my favorites made it in as well.

Deleted member 1484

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This song is in! :) I think most of the OST is tbh, probably another reason the recording of gameplay is blocked.

Both my favorites made it in as well.

Oh, "Katyusha" is in? Nice!

E7114BBE1BEA759420F0AF8BE0AB321C65F3C2B9

JosephL64

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Official WoT mods are there for that.

Also I played the Vita game myself, and I'd say it's serviceable for fans. That's pretty much where it ends; the budget for this is so much higher.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for coming back to post this. Do you play on Pro or base PS4? I dunno if the game is enhanced for Pro or not, but I have noticed Performance issues as well but not like detrimental to the experience or anything.

For teammate positions, there isn't much you can do in story mode but for the extra missions and tournaments use the tactics board! (Bottom-right touchpad press) From there you can set their AI pattern and even give them coordinates (represented by x's on the map.)

Harder difficulties are super fun, it's where I'm racking up the most playtime. Not slower though. Blitzkrieg is name of the game lol. It's very tense because of the timer and increased damage, you can't be coy with your opponent because they will wreck your shit in just a few hits. So that's where pressing the mechanics of your tank to the max comes in handy, and that pressure is what makes it fun to me.
I keep forgetting and should probably specify, I have a base PS4.

No shit about the teammate thing. I must have been in story because all I thought that button did was zoom/toggle the minimap. Excited to go back and try it.

There are some fairly detailed tutorial/overview screens in the game, I should probably try reading them :P

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I opted for the digital copy and I definitely feel playing this with no prior knowledge of the anime was a big mistake
The intro appears to act as a reunion of major characters from the show with very little introduction to who each person is, or why they know each other, or why they are all meeting.

I completed the first mission and got a bunch of trophies for doing different tank functions which was nice, and stopped for now. Definitely feels like something you'll get maximum enjoyment from if you're already accustomed to these characters and their backstories.

So I've decided to go and finish the anime before getting further. That being said, I do feel the controls and mechanics have a nice learning curve, and once over that through the introductory missions, I think this could be a very good action game. That and the humour seems to be very anime, which is right up my alley.

Small question, I failed the first mission because I was an idiot and thought that driving directly at the enemy would be a viable strat. After the Game Over, I replayed the mission and was forced through all the dialogue again, is there no skip button?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Echo

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
I opted for the digital copy and I definitely feel playing this with no prior knowledge of the anime was a big mistake
The intro appears to act as a reunion of major characters from the show with very little introduction to who each person is, or why they know each other, or why they are all meeting.

I completed the first mission and got a bunch of trophies for doing different tank functions which was nice, and stopped for now. Definitely feels like something you'll get maximum enjoyment from if you're already accustomed to these characters and their backstories.

So I've decided to go and finish the anime before getting further. That being said, I do feel the controls and mechanics have a nice learning curve, and once over that through the introductory missions, I think this could be a very good action game. That and the humour seems to be very anime, which is right up my alley.

Small question, I failed the first mission because I was an idiot and thought that driving directly at the enemy would be a viable strat. After the Game Over, I replayed the mission and was forced through all the dialogue again, is there no skip button?

Glad you got it after all! :)

There is a skip button, it's Options, but the game doesn't let you skip scenes you haven't seen before and it also doesn't auto-save until you get a mission results screen which only happens on Victory. So basically if you don't win, you can't skip lol. You can hold R1 and it will auto-click through the dialog for you, but maybe it's faster to mash circle lol.

Anywho, enjoy the anime! Don't forget to watch the movie after! "GuP: der Film." Basically the story mode is a recounting of that, that's what the characters are meeting to discuss and review in this game.

JosephL64

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Wait, is it normal for Japanese school uniforms to feature the Reichsadler and Balkenkreuze?
No, the show is more modern day with the girls fighting each others with WW2 tanks.

the schools however have certain homages to that time period, obviously while not supporting those ideologies.

you'll see the black cross for Kuromorimine, and a hammer&sickle parody for Pravda. there'll also be old songs from that era like Das Panzerlied, Erika, and Katyusha for instance.

that's really where that kind of stuff begins and ends in case you were worried about content like that.

JosephL64

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I knew the game sold well, but it had a 93.66% sell through rate. That's kind of ridiculous, but it's great news in the end.

I can only hope for more future support and potential sequels.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Through chapter 10 in story mode. They have really chopped up the movie into super granular battles.

I've unlocked about one tank per mission, subsequent replays using different characters haven't unlocked anything special yet, though I'm making sure to go back and do everyone. Rosehip's Crusader is pretty squirrely to control.

Harder difficulty extra missions is where it is at. Gotta keep moving.

OP
OP
Echo

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
I knew the game sold well, but it had a 93.66% sell through rate. That's kind of ridiculous, but it's great news in the end.

I can only hope for more future support and potential sequels.

That's amazing! GuP fans are super dedicated and Bandai must have been pretty smart about stocking, I kinda figured it sold pretty well because Amazon.jp keeps selling out!

Through chapter 10 in story mode. They have really chopped up the movie into super granular battles.

I've unlocked about one tank per mission, subsequent replays using different characters haven't unlocked anything special yet, though I'm making sure to go back and do everyone. Rosehip's Crusader is pretty squirrely to control.

Harder difficulty extra missions is where it is at. Gotta keep moving.

Glad I'm not the only one having trouble with Rosehip and her shaky little Crusader lol.

Turned out a local store stocked a physical copy with much reasonable price than the digital version. I bought it right away because I fear it will sold out by other weebs.

Neat! Super glad you were able to get a copy! :) Enjoy, and if you need help/tips I'll be here.

OP
OP
Echo

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Update 1.01 is out, didn't expect an update but it's live and here are the notes.

- Dialogues for Story Battle and Domination Mode can now be skipped.
- Improved game stability for online gameplay matching.
- Casual match time limit has been adjusted from 5 mins to 10 mins.
- Adjustments made for certain characters and tanks.
- Improved game stability with team switching restriction after sortie for Friend Match.

OP
OP
Echo

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
still waiting on my copy :(

Hope the online play doesn't dry up fast

Yeah shipping seems quite slow for many. Was expecting some importers to pop-in with news of receiving their copy by now, but...

Every once in a while I try an online match and it seems you can generally start a match within 2-3 minutes still.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
i just tried looking up my shipment on play-asia, THEY HAVENT EVEN SHIPPED YET. it's been over a week, fuck.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I was getting into matches within ~20 seconds or so with my Japanese copy (not sure if that makes a difference).

We have definitely gotten to the point in online multiplayer where everyone else is a pro and I'm starting to get slaughtered.

OP
OP
Echo

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
i just tried looking up my shipment on play-asia, THEY HAVENT EVEN SHIPPED YET. it's been over a week, fuck.

Time to cancel and go digital. :p Are you using Play-Asia? My experience with them is not so great, at this point you may wanna e-mail them and see what's up but don't be surprised if you get the usual "An issue with our supplier" nonsense. Usually after those "issues" they restock in a day or two but with a price-hike. GuP is selling really well, so I wouldn't be surprised tbh.

I was getting into matches within ~20 seconds or so with my Japanese copy (not sure if that makes a difference).

We have definitely gotten to the point in online multiplayer where everyone else is a pro and I'm starting to get slaughtered.

Might depend on what time you are playing? I did notice the online servers aren't region locked at least.

=========

Edit: I finally beat that damn Rosehip mission on Extreme difficulty. Three seconds to spare. Wew. That is one the most heart-pounding, frustrating things I've ever had to do in a game. With that finally done I think with time I can actually platinum this. #200 milestone, here we come.

Last edited:

SephLuis

Oct 25, 2017
I managed to do a review of the game and I liked it a lot.
I still have to complete all extra missions, but playing tournament with the BT team was one hell of a challenge.

My overall feelings of the game:

Girls Und Panzer is an animation that I watched recently and it became one of my favorites. Dream Tank Match is a gift for fans, but it also has a great and addictive gameplay that should appeal even to those that are not familiar with the source material. Each fight is chaotic and frenetic, and being able to make an accurate shot is extremely gratifying and the combination of all these factors is what makes each match fun. "One more match" was the recurrent feeling while playing and I hope more people give this great game a chance. Panzer Vor! (Tanks Forward!).

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I really like how tiny the weakpoints tend to be and how they seemed mapped to details like hatches/other recognizable features I just wish I did more damage for exploiting them.

OP
OP
Echo

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
I managed to do a review of the game and I liked it a lot.
I still have to complete all extra missions, but playing tournament with the BT team was one hell of a challenge.

My overall feelings of the game:

Girls Und Panzer is an animation that I watched recently and it became one of my favorites. Dream Tank Match is a gift for fans, but it also has a great and addictive gameplay that should appeal even to those that are not familiar with the source material. Each fight is chaotic and frenetic, and being able to make an accurate shot is extremely gratifying and the combination of all these factors is what makes each match fun. "One more match" was the recurrent feeling while playing and I hope more people give this great game a chance. Panzer Vor! (Tanks Forward!).

Review for where may I ask? Could maybe include it in the op! Outside Famitsu and Amazon.jp customer reviews I don't have much to pick from to add to the OP. Well, it doesn't matter much anymore lol. I suspect those who wanted the game will and have gotten it already.

I really like how tiny the weakpoints tend to be and how they seemed mapped to details like hatches/other recognizable features I just wish I did more damage for exploiting them.

Certain weakpoints are weaker than others lol. Some are really hard to take advantage of, like the damn Maus, I find it easier to drive around and slam it from behind whenever possible. Er, naughty as that sounds. :p

SephLuis

Oct 25, 2017
Review for where may I ask? Could maybe include it in the op! Outside Famitsu and Amazon.jp customer reviews I don't have much to pick from to add to the OP. Well, it doesn't matter much anymore lol. I suspect those who wanted the game will and have gotten it already.

Here's the link to the review, but it's in brazilian portuguese.
http://www.ps3brasil.com/analise/1059/

We usually write a single paraghaph in english because our reviews usually go for the Open Critic site.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Certain weakpoints are weaker than others lol. Some are really hard to take advantage of, like the damn Maus, I find it easier to drive around and slam it from behind whenever possible. Er, naughty as that sounds. :p
That's the thing, drifting around and popping them in the back is almost always huge damage so why would I want to be more precise?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Echo

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
I completely forgot to preorder this on Amazon JP because of Monster Hunter World-induced haze. You guys think it's worth getting the LE or should I just go for the regular edition? Wondering if BN will do another run of the LE...

Did you ever get a copy? The sell-through for physical copies on this game has been crazy, I dunno if Bandai will do a reprint, but smaller shops which aren't Amazon are already introducing price hikes because of scarcity of the JP copies.

Here's the link to the review, but it's in brazilian portuguese.
http://www.ps3brasil.com/analise/1059/

We usually write a single paraghaph in english because our reviews usually go for the Open Critic site.

I don't speak a lick of portuguese, but good enough for me! Added to OP, thanks for sharing. :)

That's the thing, drifting around and popping them in the back is almost always huge damage so would I want to be more precise?

Well sometimes you don't always get the option to drift around, I've met some extremely ~interesting~ AI opponents who like to rotate with you, making sure you can never get behind them. Like literally they will just sit on one spot and rotate their tank as you drive around them. Though I guess if you have a faster tank it's a matter of time. Personally I like the Porsche Tiger and Centurion too much, but they tend to be a bit slow.

Also there are those Swamp survival matches where the flank is impossible so it comes down to weakpoints only at that point.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
Did you ever get a copy? The sell-through for physical copies on this game has been crazy, I dunno if Bandai will do a reprint, but smaller shops which aren't Amazon are already introducing price hikes because of scarcity of the JP copies.

Great. Im never fucking getting a copy of this am I

Caesar III

Jan 3, 2018
Preordered the game at Amazon but it did not ship yet. Switched to play Asia now, they are even cheaper. Can't come soon enough