• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nathan_Drake

Nov 6, 2017
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-indict-trump-giuliani-told-cnn-idUSKCN1IH32G

(Reuters) - Special Counsel Robert Mueller has told President Donald Trump's legal team he would follow Justice Department guidance that a president cannot be indicted, CNN reported, citing an interview with Trump lawyer Rudy Giuliani.

"All they get to do is write a report," Giuliani said, according to the network. "They can't indict. At least they acknowledged that to us after some battling, they acknowledged that to us."

Sorry if old. I had not seen this. Definitely from the Trump side but would be curious to see if confirmed or rejected by Mueller.

eclipze

Oct 28, 2017
Mueller was never going to indict a sitting president. After impeachment or end of term? Sure.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
It's probably true. They can indict a president who gets impeached or resigns though. Neither of which will happen.

Let's forget about anything happening to Trump. It's not going to happen. He's in the clear. The worst thing that will happen is Republicans force him out of 2020.

Oct 26, 2017
California
"Guidance that a President cannot be indicted?" The hell does that even mean. Afaik, there's no legal reason why he can't be indicted... so, indict the bastard.

Lo-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
New Yawk City!
Wasn't President Nixon an unnamed co-conspirator? Because if that's what Mueller does at the end of his investigation, we'll all know who that is anyway.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was already known. Impeachment proceedings would always be the first step. Then indictment after being removed from office.

eclipze

Oct 28, 2017
To be fair, Kenneth Starr came to his own conclusion that he could indict Clinton if the charges against warranted it. That never happened though, obviously.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This was already theorized when Mueller had Trump as just a subject rather than a target. If he cannot indict the president, the president cannot be a target. Mueller can still suggest an indictment, though.

Giuliani has no credibility. Unless an official from the Mueller team states otherwise. Fake news.

Even if it is real news, it actually makes it worse for Trump technically because he was hiding behind the fact that he hadn't been made a target yet as proof of innocence.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
"Guidance that a President cannot be indicted?" The hell does that even mean. Afaik, there's no legal reason why he can't be indicted... so, indict the bastard.
he's talking about the DOJ OLC long-standing opinion that a sitting president can't be indicted. It's not settled law by any means (it's never even been tested) but it's probably a safe bet that Mueller will follow it. (Actually I could see this challenged if Mueller finds something absolutely damning but Congress refuses to act, but more likely they'd go the unindicted co-conspirator route)

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Even if it's true it does remove trump from being guilty. But I suppose the GOP doesn't care whether or not that's the case as long as he can't be forcibly removed from office.

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
When they announced it on CNN earlier, two things went through my mind:

Giuliani might be going rogue again.

And

He's basically letting it out that they have Trump on crimes but won't indict him.

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
Mueller was never going to indict a sitting president. After impeachment or term end? Sure.
I agree. Dude was brazen enough to take down Enron, starting with the wives of the executives. But I doubt Mueller is going to indict a sitting president. For one, I think it's the wrong time to try - in this environment it's going to look hyper-partisan in the eyes of that key 35-40%, even if we know it's not. Two, there's no need. Write a report, lay it all out and use that to impeach him. Then indict him on the state crimes Pence cannot pardon, assuming he doesn't go down with the ship too (which he likely will).

The republicans are in more trouble than we likely know. Their emails were hacked, but never leaked.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This would set a terrible precedent.

We have an elected King of the United States every 4 years if this is the course of events.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This would set a terrible precedent.

We have an elected King of the United States every 4 years if this is the course of events.

You're kinda misinterpreting what this means. What this means is that Mueller would only suggest to Congress that the president be indicted when he's finished, like watergate.

guek

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can't indict a President and his lawyer for the same crimes.
tumblr_lojdmy3wS51qb87bqo1_500.gif

Hex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All of the people who keep fighting the good fight in their basements and telling themselves that Trump will be impeached or anything will happen to him after are absolutely adorable.
This is the reality that was created by your neighbors, your peers, even some of you.
You can't step off now the ride has just begun.
Policy by crooks written to protect crooks because they can never say when it will be their turn.
Lines are being drawn and they get more easy to see every day.

Edit: And those that think that it only means that he will not be touched until out of office.... if you knew you had that hanging over your head when you were finished how off the rails would you get?

eclipze

Oct 28, 2017
Why can a sitting president not be indicted?

It doesn't follow DOJ precedence. It hasn't been tested at the SC level, so constitutionally, we don't know. It's my opinion that unless the crimes are incredibly outrageous, such as there are literaly bodies or pictures of Trump handing Putin cash, then Mueller is going to go by the book and have Rosenstein direct Congress to start impeachment proceedings if that's where the investigation leads.

Dec 22, 2017
"All they get to do is write a report" LOL This is some elementary school "words can never hurt me" logic.

If the report has evidence of crimes committed, there will be further consequences.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
This news isn't a surprise right? I mean I thought we'd been hearing noises to this effect for months now... that Mueller wouldn't trigger a constitutional crisis and try to indict a sitting president.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
"All they get to do is write a report" LOL This is some elementary school "words can never hurt me" logic.

If the report has evidence of crimes committed, there will be further consequences.
The theory is, that the executive branch would try to get the report classified so that we don't find out about it. Not sure if that's a good idea.

Cochese

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
The theory is, that the executive branch would try to get the report classified so that we don't find out about it. Not sure if that's a good idea.

I believe by mandate the final reports get disseminated to all members of Congress. That shit would be in the Post in an hour, particularly if it is as bad as we all fear.