• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Still groggy and waking up but I read the title of the film as "Gladiator II Vegas" and got a little excited.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
That budget increase is bonkers. Scorcese had similiar issues with the The Irishman and it was not worth it, even though the movie was great.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for this one. Still bonkers the studio let it balloon to a $310 mil production budget.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
WorldofReel is notoriously unreliable as a source, so I won't hold my breath.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Snowball chance in hell it's going to recoup production budget north of 300 millions, but I'm glad to see a positive first reaction, even tho it doesn't mean much these days.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I'm rooting for it but theaters just dont give the money needed for such an expensive film anymore outside a select few mega hit movies. And this year has been especially weak for theaters

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Not gonna believe any more "early word of mouth" after "The Flash"

Most of these have been ridiculously positive for a while now. The influencers or whatever we want to call them who smear on the praise tweets seems be in the vast majority of films. I pretty much just ignore it all.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Time to pin this thread so we can all point and laugh in hindsight.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
idk when World of Reel entered the rotation for people

but we really need to stop giving them oxygen

Grove

Apr 3, 2024
I have my doubts on the validity of World of Reel but Ridley Scott's always been hit or miss and when he hits, it's big, so there's a chance it's actually really good so I'll be there, first showing.

Edmond Dantès

It belongs in a museum!
Aug 24, 2022
UK
Looking forward to Denzel's version of Proximo.

"I am Proximo! I shall be closer to you for the next few days, which will be the last of your miserable lives, than that bitch of a mother who first brought you screaming into this world! I did not pay good money for your company. I paid it so that I might profit from your death. And just as your mother was there at your beginning, I shall be there at your end. And when you die - and die you shall - your transition will be to the sound of...

[claps his hands]

Gladiators... I salute you."

GoodGrief

Jan 24, 2024
Ngl I'm hyped. When Ridley puts out mid you usually get those vibes from these early reactions. So to hear nothing but praise makes me think this is his best since at least Last Duel

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Isn't "Early Word of Mouth" almost always universally positive?

Influencers and the like being provided with free tickets, lodging and/or flights aren't going to shit on a film if they want to continue to receive free tickets, etc. from the company producing the screenings.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, I totally forgot I had a dream last night that I saw the trailer for Gladiator 2 and Russell Crowe was in it somehow.

So random.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine Scott has it in him anymore to knock it out of the park like that.

Droopy_McCool

Dec 13, 2023
giphy.gif

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
He will be reborn as, Maximus Prime!

It's crazy I'm just remembering it.

The dream trailer was actually pretty cool, as it was Crowe as he is now. But like the trailer was being all mysterious as to whether or not this older, alive Maximus was real or some dream. It was really more of a teaser than a full trailer.

Oh, and the cinematography if the trailer was NUTS. Like, in the dream itself I went, "damn, Ridley where has this been the past couple films." It wasn't all washed out like his recent entries. There was a lot of color coding to more of a sandy look with deep shadows.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Ngl I'm hyped. When Ridley puts out mid you usually get those vibes from these early reactions. So to hear nothing but praise makes me think this is his best since at least Last Duel

Not exactly a high bar since the Last Duel came out two and a half years ago and was only two movies ago

Mobius 1

Oct 27, 2017
North Point, Osean Federation
Looking forward to Denzel's version of Proximo.

"I am Proximo! I shall be closer to you for the next few days, which will be the last of your miserable lives, than that bitch of a mother who first brought you screaming into this world! I did not pay good money for your company. I paid it so that I might profit from your death. And just as your mother was there at your beginning, I shall be there at your end. And when you die - and die you shall - your transition will be to the sound of...

[claps his hands]

Gladiators... I salute you."

Shadows and dust

I'm thrilled. Let this be great.

OP
OP
entut1

entut1

Mar 31, 2023
You can trust World of Reel for test screenings stuff. That tends to be more reliable than the other stuff. Now, whether or not you trust the world of mouth (which was probably from a random test audience, rather than influencers), that's up to you.

Phinor

Oct 27, 2017
Personally I'm already waiting for the 260 minutes long director's cut.

Or could we at least have a physical media release of regular cut of Napoleon? Thanks Apple.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
I wish we'd gotten that crazy Crowe in the underworld and Pentagon version. Then I'd actually be interested. I just have no desire to see this.

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
cautiously optimistic

the last duel showed me he's still got it despite the stinkers he's put out

mescal is a force of nature on the silver screen

Last edited:

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
Tom Cruise has seen it and says it is one of the best Gladiator movies ever made.

CheeseConey

Oct 27, 2017
Always down for historical epics, especially from Ridley Scott. Kingdom of Heaven Directors Cut is a masterpiece.