• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
Aren't these old news? I feel like I've seen them referenced on other "Oh no, Retro" threads in the past.

The April 16th review is probably legit, things obviously haven't gone well at Retro, but there's a lot better evidence that one Glassdoor review?

-The lead game designer quit/was fired
-They had a game that was seemingly multi years in development that is nearly cancelled
-The head of the studio might have been demoted back down to Art Director.

...There are other things that are more accurate than Glassdoor.

This.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
Is it really so hard to accept that a company that has been missing in action for five years without an announcement in sight - may just maybe going through some trouble.

Nah, I think we all have accepted that already considering the rumors about a canceled project and that. I think glassdoor reviews is the last place we should look for clues.

Edit:

The May 14th review is probably a troll since it came out on the same day of the Kotaku article saying that Retro had a game that was basically cancelled.

The April 16th review is probably legit, things obviously haven't gone well at Retro, but there's a lot better evidence that one Glassdoor review?

-The lead game designer quit/was fired
-They had a game that was seemingly multi years in development that is nearly cancelled
-The head of the studio might have been demoted back down to Art Director.

...There are other things that are more accurate than Glassdoor.

Yes, this exactly.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
No one posts positive reviews to Glassdoor, though. Like, ever.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Wait maybe Platinum will get given the half made game and asked to do a clean up job, resulting in Donkey Kong's Revenge.

Edit:
Context

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Hilarious reading this thread, "lalalala everything is fine"

Is anyone actually saying "everything is fine"?

The point of the thread wasn't to say it was the only evidence, I thought that was incredibly obvious given the aforementioned report about the game cancellation, absence from public and shuffling of positions. This was just to mount onto the existing reports that things don't look swell in Austin at the moment.

Hope they can turn it around.

Right, and I get that, but I would advise against putting too much stock into these reviews specifically because there is no guarantee they come from actual employees. We know there are/were issues at Retro, we don't need shaky or unreliable reviews to further prove it.

evilmonkey

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
A site where anybody can leave reviews without any verification whatsoever sounds totally legit.

It could be true, it could be not. Nintendo people are notoriously tight-lipped so we'll probably never know for sure. I think we'd be hearing something about this from the press if there was any substance to it though.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Don't ever take these reviews as gospel. The people that are willing to write reviews on glass door are normally disgruntled or blissfully happy with never some in-between

Deleted member 873

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
This is disgusting. The fact we may think it makes sense is also troubling. There is something going wrong there.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

The point of the thread wasn't to say it was the only evidence, I thought that was incredibly obvious given the aforementioned report about the game cancellation, absence from public and shuffling of positions. This was just to mount onto the existing reports that things don't look swell in Austin at the moment.

Who is saying everything is fine. People are being skeptical of glass door reviews, as they should be

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Keep in mind that Glassdoor ratings are drastically affected by whether or not the company puts the time and effort into maintaining it and encouraging employees to participate on it. My company does, and our overall score reflects a wide variety of opinions and employee thoughts, with a very positive overall score.

Companies like EA, Blizzard, Ubisoft, etc, would all have human resources teams that would see the value in utilzing Glassdoor as a recruitment tool and valuable resource. It's likely they encourage employees to use it, etc.

I'm unsure of whether or not Retro would be "buying in" to using Glassdoor fully, but I'm leaning towards no. That would make it more likely that the only people seeking out to leave reviews about the company would be those who are disgruntled with it.

In other words, this probably means nothing.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Can't remember the company, but it was a pretty big one. I remember reading a few 1 star reviews for it, each from a "Former CEO"

I would take Glassdoor reviews with a grain of salt

Strittles

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So you're claiming there's trouble in Retro based off of a website where anyone can write a review with no authentication process and only 5 reviews currently on the page.

I imagine that not everything is sunshine and sparkles at Retro but come on man.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
Regardless of it being glassdoor, there's enough signs pointing to problems at Retro. One of my favorite devs, hope they can pull through :(

Conor419

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
London
Been saying it for a long time, it is very obvious that Retro are in serious trouble

– No signs of new title in what is nearly half a decade
– Downgraded from AAA sci-fi to an 'AAA' 2D platformer
– Rumours that their new title is a racing game in a hopeless series.

Escalario

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This sounds like unreliable evidence pointing to something we already know.

Yeah seriously. I don't need questionable reviews to know something is going on there.
2 games during GC era, 2 games and 1 compilation during Wii era, 1 game during WiiU era, and 1 port during Switch era so far. They were not a magical dev during GC era house as some people are making them out to be. 2 games during GC generation, even if those games were great, is a very low output for a western dev.

Also what's weird is that they never released games for Nintendo's handhelds, only assisting in asset creation for retro tracks in Mario Kart 7, which leads me to believe they have some kind of Naughty Dog's "we will never stoop so low as to make handheld games" syndrome going on.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017

People should be skeptical about your sources though. Glassdoor is a website that anybody can use to write a review. There could be a 100% honest and true review that looks just as legit as a 100% fake review. How does one differentiate the two and figure out which one is right and which one is wrong?

A fairly reputable gaming journalist reporting that there are troubles within a given company is a whole lot more interesting than what Glassdoor reviews say because there's basically no way to verify much of anything on there.

Been saying it for a long time, it is very obvious that Retro are in serious trouble

– No signs of new title in what is nearly 5 years

Calling DKC:Returns/Tropical Freeze a "downgrade" compared to their previous works is needlessly dismissive. Those games (especially Tropical Freeze) are among the pinnacle of their respective genre. Just because it's in 2D doesn't mean there's less merit to it.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

– No signs of new title in what is nearly 5 years
– Upgraded from AAA sci-fi to an 'AAA' 2D platformer
– Rumours that their new title is a Starfox racing game.

I've fixed it, don't worry

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah seriously. I don't need questionable reviews to know something is going on there.
2 games during GC era, 2 games and 1 compilation during Wii era, 1 game during WiiU era, and 1 port during Switch era so far. They were not a magical dev during GC era house as some people are making them out to be. 2 games during GC generation, even if those games were great, is a very low output for a western dev.

Also what's weird is that they never released games for Nintendo's handhelds, only assisting in asset creation for retro tracks in Mario Kart 7, which leads me to believe they have some kind of Naughty Dog's "we will never stoop so low as to make handheld games" syndrome going on.

.... What?

They had like 30 people in the GameCube era, when would have been a good time for them to make a GBA game?

They pitched a DS game prototype to Nintendo as well but Nintendo declined to greenlight it (source: Resume of a former Retro dude).

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I live one exit down from their Austin office and have close friends who work there. With that disclosure out of the way, two reviews on Glassdoor complaining about management is a miserably low sample size given the size of their office. Also, citing "unpaid overtime" for typically salaried work is a confounding thing to bring up.

Conor419

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
London
I've fixed it, don't worry

I've been fighting this battle all year, and having finally played Tropical Freeze, I can safely say that it's no better than the Rareware era DK games, let alone Nintendo's own 2D platformers.

Calling DKC:Returns/Tropical Freeze a "downgrade" compared to their previous works is needlessly dismissive. Those games (especially Tropical Freeze) are among the pinnacle of their respective genre. Just because it's in 2D doesn't mean there's less merit to it.

Why people keep saying this is beyond me, they're not even close to being in Nintendo's all time top 5 for the genre alone.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
Also, citing "unpaid overtime" for typically salaried work is a confounding thing to bring up.

Right? That makes no sense for a salaried employee. I work overtime almost every week and since I'm a salaried employee, I knew in advance that it was going to be the case.

Why people keep saying this is beyond me, they're not even close to being in Nintendo's all time top 5 for the genre alone.

Because different people are allowed to have different opinions. I think it is definitely in the top 5 2D platformers that I've ever played. Even if you do disagree with me, you need to acknowledge the second part. Just because it's 2D doesn't mean there's less merit to it.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
NC

And even though the 2D games were good, no one still can't deny that there isn't anything afoot in the halls of Retro Studios. Especially that racing games. And after hearing about the development cycle for it.....yeah it ain't looking good.

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yea, seems believable. They don't really seem to have the same talent there. I mean donkey Kong is fun and all but it's a pretty big leap from Metroid Prime

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah honestly this topic is worthy of discussion but the way the OP framed this particular topic as well as the OP's dismissive attitude in the thread itself (with posts like "Hilarious reading this thread, 'lalalala everything is fine'") shows little intention for actually having a discussion and likely just wanted to stir the shit

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017

I don't think DK is a downgrade really, as they made one of the greatest 2D platformers of all time. I'm not seeing the logic with that one.

That said, it's not a stretch to think something is wrong at Retro based purely on them being MIA for so many years. Also where do people keep getting 5 years from? DKCTF released in 2014. Other than the Star Fox rumors, the only thing we know for sure they have worked on were Mario Kart 8 and the Switch port of TF.

I don't think Glassdoor reviews are necessarily an indicator, as they aren't really verified if they were actually employees. Things like hearing nothing out of them for the last four years is more concerning than this is.

I'm still willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on Star Fox Grand Prix though if it's a real thing. I'd like to be pleasantly surprised by that one.

JoRu

Oct 25, 2017

How could you possibly get that from reading this thread? All people are doing is being skeptical of this specific source of information. Just because it matches other things that point to there being issues at Retro doesn't make it a good source, and it therefore might not be suitable to use it to "mount onto the existing reports".

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Let's see, it is obvious that Retro has some kind of problem, but it is also obvious that we are talking here of anonymous sources and a ridiculous sample size to generalize anything.

The attitude of other post of the OP makes me doubt the good intentions of the thread.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think DK is a downgrade really, as they made one of the greatest 2D platformers of all time. I'm not seeing the logic with that one.

That said, it's not a stretch to think something is wrong at Retro based purely on them being MIA for so many years. Also where do people keep getting 5 years from? DKCTF released in 2014. Other than the Star Fox rumors, the only thing we know for sure they have worked on were Mario Kart 8 and the Switch port of TF.

I'm still willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on Star Fox Grand Prix though if it's a real thing. I'd like to be pleasantly surprised by that one.

DKCTF launched very early in 2014.

Retro didn't work on Mario Kart 8.

Retro is rumored to have worked on Labo in some capacity, but Nintendo never released credits for the game.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
I thought Nintendo was mature enough to see the writing on the wall and fix the issue. This seems strange and troubling.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
DKCTF launched very early in 2014.

Retro didn't work on Mario Kart 8.

Retro is rumored to have worked on Labo in some capacity, but Nintendo never released credits for the game.
I swear I remember something about them doing something with the retro tracks in MK8.

I just looked it up, apparently I'm wrong and might be thinking of the work they did on MK7.

ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't glassdoor known for having biased reviews all around ? These reviews should be taken with a cupful of salt. Regardless, some investigative gaming journalism to clear this out would be much more appreciated.

TheRightDeal

Oct 27, 2017
Not saying that Retro isn't in trouble, there's plenty of evidence to suggest they are, but just want to hit the point again the Glassdoor is probably not the best metric to judge that by.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
yeah honestly this topic is worthy of discussion but the way the OP framed this particular topic as well as the OP's dismissive attitude in the thread itself (with posts like "Hilarious reading this thread, 'lalalala everything is fine'") shows little intention for actually having a discussion and likely just wanted to stir the shit
^ this.
Seems more like a CONCERN thread rather than a discussion one.

Status
Not open for further replies.