• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
yeah honestly this topic is worthy of discussion but the way the OP framed this particular topic as well as the OP's dismissive attitude in the thread itself (with posts like "Hilarious reading this thread, 'lalalala everything is fine'") shows little intention for actually having a discussion and likely just wanted to stir the shit
Thats vire for you

Oct 26, 2017
So on top of all the aforementioned problems, they also have two very negative Glassdoor reviews. Yes there is no way to check if they are legit, so there is reason to suspect both are fake, but both could be real as well. One could be fake, one could be real. We don't know.

The point is, Vire is just trying to post this as an informative thread. There is simply no reason to call him out by saying " Yoo this feels like someone really wants the gaming press to check Glassdoor!! "

That's all I was saying.

Okay so.

One is probably fake and one is probably real.

But that's one review.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
We heard of a troubled game and a rumor of Starfox looking good. A studio that produced great quality stuff every 2/3 years and now being absent for 5 years means there certainly was some trouble, yet maybe they're on the right track again. I certainly wouldn't blow this out of proportion based on 2 bad reviews.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I'm worried about Retro tbh. As I've said before in some other threads, I expected them to show something at this year's E3.
They ended the development of DF TF almost 5 yeara ago, and aside from rumors we don't know that the heck they are doing.
It's sad to me because I love both Metroid Prime Trilogy and the two DKC games, and Retro is IMO the most consistent videogame studio.
Sure, they've only developed 5 games, but all of them are brilliant.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
There are two reviews posted in the last four years with Retro.

One of them looks legit (the April one)

One of them is probably a troll (the May 14th one since it came out on the exact day of Kotaku rumors about the studio going through serious trouble).

I'm sure things are going badly at Retro... not sure how many in here disagree with that (which is good to see after the wild denials of this point in past Nintendo threads).

But one 2/5 Glassdoor review in the last four years is extremely uncompelling evidence compared to:

-Retro not releasing a new game in 5+ years (since if their new game was Q1 2019, it probably would have been shown)
-Retro's lead game designer leaving the company
-Retro's creative director maybe getting demoted
-Retro probably having a game cancelled according to Kotaku.
-Retro having no lead game designer or creative director currently based on LinkedIn.

The thing is that this thread is not to talk about the current state of Retro, is to talk about those two comments in Glassdoor, which do not help us at all.

If you say that gravity exists because there are little pixies pushing things down and people say no, people are denying pixies, not gravity.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
You're kind of ignoring the points that the poster is making though. It is hard to verify since basically anyone can use it, people do tend to be more vocal more when they don't like things as opposed to when they do like and/or love something, and using two reviews to extrapolate an issue out to the whole company is a joke.

All of the assumptions about issues at Retro could very well be true, however using two Glassdoor reviews is a horrible way to open up a discussion about it because it's an absolutely awful metric to go by, especially when it's two reviews.
Buddy I specifically stated that these reviews aren't for randos on a message board but for potential applicants, I just hate the idea that employees have to toot the employers horn even if they failed their employees.

I think you're being a little defensive though simply because that's not the only evidence and this has been rumored for ages.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
So on top of all the aforementioned problems, they also have two very negative Glassdoor reviews. Yes there is no way to check if they are legit, so there is reason to suspect both are fake, but both could be real as well. One could be fake, one could be real. We don't know.

The point is, Vire is just trying to post this as an informative thread. There is simply no reason to call him out by saying " Yoo this feels like someone really wants the gaming press to check Glassdoor!! "

That's all I was saying.

I'm glad the OP has you here to speak on his behalf.

OT: Yeah it's a shame Retro seem to be going through some difficulties. Hopefully it all gets sorted and they make another great game.

Cinemikel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Same thing happened for Sucker Punch when they were silent for 3-4 years. Doubt it actually matters

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Replying to hyperbole with hyperbole is not the best way to have an argument.

DKC3 is not "straight garbo." It is a fantastic game that suffers from "more of the same" syndrome.
Nah, it's pretty bad.
Most of the game is straight up pointless and the graphic design doesn't mesh well with the tech used which makes the game far uglier than it should have been.
Controls are far from perfect, bosses are boring, music is uninteresting and the collectibles open garbage.
Sorry it's just not that good, especially compared to games like DKC2 or Yoshi's Island.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah there's definitely something up at the studio, they had very strong consistent output for many years and it has just dropped off a cliff in the Wii U years. Hopefully they can turn it around.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

Yes, you're explaining why this is basically nothing worth discussing. It's two reviews. There is absolutely zero way to take anything from this.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017

That's all I was saying.

Anything related to Nintendo that isn't all sunshine and rainbows is going to get some pushback by default. Even when it's blatantly obvious that something is up at Retro and has been for a while now.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
yeah honestly this topic is worthy of discussion but the way the OP framed this particular topic as well as the OP's dismissive attitude in the thread itself (with posts like "Hilarious reading this thread, 'lalalala everything is fine'") shows little intention for actually having a discussion and likely just wanted to stir the shit
Agree on both points. The Retro situation is interesting, but a the same time the OP's vibe is oddly confrontational.

Status
Not open for further replies.