• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just doing a quick search on Retro to see if there was any reports about the rumored Starfox game, and I encountered the Glass Door profile for Retro and was shocked to see reviews as recent as May 2018 all claiming similar problems, even stating that they are half expecting Nintendo to close the doors.

1. Poor leadership and management / peter principle. Most of the reviews "Disapprove of CEO"
2. Major talent has left since Metroid series and were replaced with people who were not adequate for the job

April and May 18 Reviews:

yO3uADp.png

Djoydy5.png

Jason, where's the report?

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
has there ever been good reviews on Glass Door?

how many reviews are there for Retro even? compared to how many that work there?

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Ouch. Sad, but not entirely unexpected.

how many reviews are there for Retro even? compared to how many that work there?

Vq2vzMI.png

xYf1zeV.png

Fpfrhvu.png

xOQC4GK.png

f0kbo6E.png

Obviously some of that is "Good for the games industry" not just overall good.

Retro sample size is small though.

Last edited:

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Retro having some serious internal issues is long rumored.

ChaosSmurf

GLHF
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Horsham, United Kingdom
Some large companies seem to fight against the (obvious) negative bias the platform is built to attract by asking people to make them (Blizzard, for eg, have quite a few really good reviews).

I wouldn't ever take Glassdoor reviews, almost no matter how negative, without a pile of salt so large it makes the entire process almost pointless.

OP
OP
Vire

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Umm yeah? The company I work for has very positive reviews. And I can point to a number of game studios also with very high averages, but that's not really the point.

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
Umm yeah? The company I work for has very positive reviews. And I can point to a number of game studios also with very high averages, but that's not really the point.

They have a point. Glass Door is VERY likely to have more negative than positive reviews, simply because of human tendency to want to complain when something is wrong, but stay silent when it's good.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that there does not appear to be any sort of verification process for posting Glassdoor reviews.

Some of these could certainly be real employees but some could easily be trolls.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Glassdoor is almost entirely worthless for basically any resembling the actual internal workplace of a company.

Combination of almost no verification making it really easy to fake, and human tendency to complain when things are bad but not post when things are good.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I'd take the fact that they haven't shown anything in 5 years more seriously than some Glassdoor review to show that something is wrong there.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A real shame. Nintendo should really change up the upper management.

Linkhero1

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area
Whatever they're working on will be their first title without Tenabe at the helm. I'm cautiously optomistic but this long dev cycle isn't a good sign.

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
Jeez. Incredibly awful. Just...awful. Hope this company can land back on its feet and those employees can find work and express their creativity.

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
This is one of those things where you can see someone trying really hard to make this an issue

C'MON GAMING PRESS CHECK THE GLASSDOOR REVIEWS

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
Whether the rumors and speculation are on point, using glassdoor to support it is a little too much over the rational concern line for me.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
This is stupid. It's in human nature for us to be more vocal about negative experiences than positive. Two reviews from a company the size of Retor over a three month period really means nothing. Is there potentially something going on internally? Sure. But I'm sure as hell not using these two reviews as evidence of definitive proof.

OP
OP
Vire

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They have a point. Glass Door is VERY likely to have more negative than positive reviews, simply because of human tendency to want to complain when something is wrong, but stay silent when it's good.
Is it really so hard to accept that a company that has been missing in action for five years without an announcement in sight - may just maybe going through some trouble.

boi

Nov 1, 2017
Its so secretive that tbh its difficult to judge what is happening at the company based on those reviews alone. Nintendo keeps the door shut tight. Two employees are probably not representative of the company anyway.

Twentieth

Oct 26, 2017
They haven't released or announced a game for so long you'd guess they are having a tough time. Wonder if they will ever be able to release a great game again. At this point, I'd guess most developers of old have left.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Glassdoor isn't the end all be all. More people are likely to post negative reviews than positive reviews. People tend to complain more vocally than they praise.

Not saying that Retro is perfect or that the employee posting is wrong, just that we need more information to go off of than Glassdoor.

Oct 26, 2017
The May 14th review is probably a troll since it came out on the same day of the Kotaku article saying that Retro had a game that was basically cancelled.

The April 16th review is probably legit, things obviously haven't gone well at Retro, but there's a lot better evidence that one Glassdoor review?

-The lead game designer quit/was fired
-They had a game that was seemingly multi years in development that is nearly cancelled
-The head of the studio might have been demoted back down to Art Director.

...There are other things that are more accurate than Glassdoor.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean you are talking about a studio that hasn't even announced their game going on 5 years let alone released one.

You dont need Glassdoor reviews to see something has gone very wrong over there. Not sure why there are some still in denial about it.

Their next project may be amazing, but clearly some things have gone wrong behind the scenes

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
We discussed this in the first party thread like two months ago, and all decided it doesn't mean anything lol. Anyone could've posted these

The long wait since tropical freeze is more telling, honestly

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Given that one of those reviews was posted the exact same day that Kotaku said their non-Star Fox project was going through some rocky development, I'm not so sure that it's legit.

Escalario

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They haven't released or announced a game for so long you'd guess they are having a tough time. Wonder if they will ever be able to release a great game again. At this point, I'd guess most developers of old have left.

Considering the games ex-Retro people made range from mediocre to trash, it's obvious that the only ones responsible for the success of Metroid Prime and DKCR/TF are people above Retro from Nintendo proper.

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
I mean you are talking about a studio that hasn't even announced their game after 5 years let alone release one.

You dont need Glassdoor reviews to see something has gone very wrong over there. Not sure why there are some still in denial about it.

Their next project may be amazing, but clearly some things have gone wrong behind the scenes

So far all I've seen is people questioning the validity of Glassdoor which is perfectly natural for a site like that. RateMyTeacher is the same way.

Oct 26, 2017
I mean you are talking about a studio that hasn't even announced their game after 5 years let alone released one.

When the lead game designer of the company leaves the company after his game is seemingly cancelled, it's probably not going well, yes.

The May 14th review is probably fake while the April 16th review is probably true.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Is it really so hard to accept that a company that has been missing in action for five years without an announcement in sight - may just maybe going through some trouble.

No, I think the issue here is using glassdoor to come to that conclusion rather than all of the other evidence like the absence you mentioned or the Kotaku article.

I've asked multiple times and looked at the website but I don't think there is any actual verification process for posting reviews on glassdoor. This means we really can't trust that any of the reviews are legit employees, they could easily be trolls. The May 14th one specifically looks like it is a troll.

But yeah, there's no denying there's been trouble at Retro. The only question is- was this trouble just something that happened years ago resulting in their rumored canned/shelved project, or is it still happening now?

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
Glassdoor is almost entirely worthless for basically any resembling the actual internal workplace of a company.

Combination of almost no verification making it really easy to fake, and human tendency to complain when things are bad but not post when things are good.

Seriously. Basing a judgment off of two anonymous reports when there's a bias towards complaints instead of praise. I'm not saying all is well at Retro, but need way more corroborated reports than this.

Deleted member 1185

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reviews for anything online tend to skew negative - as content folks tend not to feel the need to speak up. Glassdoor in particular seems like an attractive spot for ex-employees to vent their dissatisfaction

srhltmr

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Glass Door reminds me of Apartments.com. Everyone hates where they work and live it seems. Or only the negative gets posted online.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Glass Door reminds me of Apartments.com. Everyone hates where they work and live it seems. Or only the negative gets posted online.
Yeah there's surely a strong selection bias at work here. Reviews should thus be taken with a grain of salt.

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
Retro being taken off Metroid after making the amazing Prime series is probably proof enough that something is wrong.

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
Dunno if Glassdoor has some kind of credibility, but it's weird to see that Retro became stagnant while Monolithsoft grown up.

After all Retro is/was the best western branch that Nintendo had these days.

OP
OP
Vire

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hilarious reading this thread, "lalalala everything is fine"
No, I think the issue here is using glassdoor to come to that conclusion rather than all of the other evidence like the absence you mentioned or the Kotaku article.

I've asked multiple times and looked at the website but I don't think there is any actual verification process for posting reviews on glassdoor. This means we really can't trust that any of the reviews are legit employees, they could easily be trolls. The May 14th one specifically looks like it is a troll.

But yeah, there's no denying there's been trouble at Retro. The only question is- was this trouble just something that happened years ago resulting in their rumored canned/shelved project, or is it still happening now?
The point of the thread wasn't to say it was the only evidence, I thought that was incredibly obvious given the aforementioned report about the game cancellation, absence from public and shuffling of positions. This was just to mount onto the existing reports that things don't look swell in Austin at the moment.

Hope they can turn it around.

Status
Not open for further replies.