• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Now that you know, do you plan to do something for the Global Climate Strike week in September?

• Yes, the world is on fire and I want to do my part.

Votes: 125 60.4%
  • No, I have better things to do than help save the planet.

Votes: 82 39.6%

• Total voters

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
7LdAkPC.png
*Skipping work & striking is not required to be able to participate

All Details ->here<-
This September, millions of us will walk out of our workplaces and homes to join young climate strikers on the streets and demand an end to the age of fossil fuels.

Our house is on fire — let's act like it. We demand climate justice for everyone.

When are the Global Climate Strikes?
Young people have woken up much of the world with their powerful Fridays for Future school strikes for the climate. As we deal with devastating climate breakdown and hurtle towards dangerous tipping points, young people are calling on millions of us across the planet to disrupt business as usual by joining the global climate strikes on September 20, just ahead of a UN emergency climate summit, and again on September 27.
Together, we will sound the alarm and show our politicians that business as usual is no longer an option. The climate crisis won't wait, so neither will we.

What is planned?
Millions of school climate strikers have been leaving their classrooms every Friday. Now they hope that everyone else will join them in action. Going on climate strike means people everywhere walking out of their homes, their offices, their farms, their factories.
Everyone is needed to disrupt business as usual: from sports stars, actors and teachers to food industry workers, psychologists, delivery drivers and everything in between. We can all take part, whatever our circumstances, by refusing to accept the status quo.
Already people in 150 countries are organising for the global climate strikes this September. Some will spend the day in protest against new pipelines and mines, or the banks that fund them; some will highlight the oil companies fuelling this crisis and the politicians that enable them. Others will spend the day in action raising awareness in their communities and pushing for solutions to the climate crisis that have justice and equity at their heart.
On a grossly unequal planet, not everyone will be able to take a day off or take part in the same way. But we can all take a stand and make our voices heard. Find out how.

Why go on #ClimateStrike?
Our house is on fire.
The climate crisis is an emergency but we're not acting like it. People everywhere are at risk if we let oil, coal and gas companies continue to pour more fuel on the fire.
Our hotter planet is already hurting millions of people. If we don't act now to transition fairly and swiftly away from fossil fuels to 100% renewable energy access for all, the injustice of the climate crisis will only get worse.
We need to act right now to stop burning fossil fuels and ensure a rapid energy revolution with equity, reparations and climate justice at its heart.
But it's going to take all of us working together to succeed. Join the Climate Strikes starting on September 20 – three days out from the UN's climate emergency summit and continuing on September 27.
Millions of us will walk out from home, work, school or university to declare a climate emergency and show our politicians what action in line with climate science and justice means.
The climate crisis won't wait, so neither will we.

What difference will it make?
These Climate Strikes won't solve the climate crisis alone. What this moment can do is demonstrate that people are no longer willing to continue with business as usual. The urgency of the climate crisis requires a new approach and a just response centred on human rights, equity, and justice.
Greta Thunberg's lone protest caught the world's attention last year, and has spread to millions of school children who are sounding the alarm. Now it's everyone's turn to stand with young people and show world leaders the people power demanding climate justice. September's climate strikes will kickstart a huge wave of action and renewed ambition all over the world.

Who is going on climate strike?
Everyone!
School strikers are aiming to make September 20 their biggest mobilisation yet, whilst unions and adults everywhere are preparing their own climate strikes on September 20 and 27 in over 150 countries already.
We already know that environmental, public health, social justice, and development groups will join in. But our greatest hope is simply to show that those working on this crisis have the backing of millions of human beings who have a growing dread about the climate emergency but who have so far stayed mostly on the sidelines.
It will take all of our efforts to get millions of us in the streets worldwide. So join us. Our window for effective climate action is closing fast.
What are you asking for?
The climate crisis is an emergency — we want everyone to start acting like it. We demand climate justice for everyone.
Our hotter planet is already hurting millions of people. If we don't act now to transition fairly and swiftly away from fossil fuels to 100% renewable energy for all, the injustice of the climate crisis will only get worse.
We need to act right now to stop burning fossil fuels and ensure a rapid energy revolution with equity, reparations and climate justice at its heart.

What if I can't go on strike?
Workers' rights and labour laws vary hugely around the world, and not everyone can work, strike or be part of a union. On a grossly unequal planet, some of us can't do without a single day's pay, and some of us work for bosses who would fire us if we dared try.
And some jobs simply can't stop: emergency room doctors should keep on saving lives. But many of us can put off for 24 hours our usual work, confident it will be there when we return.
The strike called by youth on September 20 will kick start a week of climate action with many different plans underway in different parts of the world allowing adults to join together, step up and take action for our climate.
Here is a range of ways you could join the Climate Strikes if you're supposed to be working on September 20 or 27

Who is supporting climate strikes?
Climate strikes were started by school students organizing through the #FridaysForFuture platform.
This Global Climate Strike mobilisation is a joint response by a broad coalition of groups, NGOs, unions and social movements across the world to young people's call to action for September.
These are the principles guiding our collective efforts towards September.Are adults welcome?

Can adults join in?
Absolutely! School strikers have invited everyone to walk out in solidarity with them on Friday September 20 and 27. This is a global moment to show politicians everywhere that our movement is growing from strength to strength and we won't stop until we get climate justice for everyone. This is only the beginning.

Why two different dates?
As young climate strikers have shown, there is huge power in sustained action week after week to match the scale of the climate emergency. These dates in September are only a beginning to the sustained mass mobilisation that will be needed to pressure world governments to take action in line with climate science and justice.
Different groups in different parts of the world are mobilising on either or both September 20 and 27 for different reasons – you can see a list of key dates for countries here (available soon).
On September 20, 3 days before a UN emergency climate summit being held in New York, young people in the Fridays For Future network are mobilising for their largest global climate strike ever. They have invited everyone to join them on Friday, September 20 and again the following Friday, September 27 when they will join Earth Strike for a general strike.
Global Climate Strike partners encourage everyone to join on both dates and well beyond.

Article on Bustle
On Sept. 20-27, climate action organizers are planning a Global Climate Strike, with hopes that massive and consistent turnout will make a difference. If you'd like to join the 2019 Global Climate Strike, there are lots of ways you can get involved. And if there isn't a strike planned in your city, the organizers want to help you plan one yourself.
The site also stresses that it's important to coordinate with events that are already being planned, which are listed on this map after they're registered. And if you're not able to come to a march or a rally, the site mentions other ways you can get involved, like spreading the word on social media or organizing a photo campaign.

So far, there are strikes planned in over 150 countries, but for the strikes to be most effective, there needs to be even more turnout. "Everyone should mobilize for the 20th and 27th of September," Swedish climate activist Greta Thunberg said in a video, "because this is a global issue which actually affects everyone."

All Details ->here<-

All Details ->here<-

All Details ->here<-
So what will it be?
AMbJdSc.gif

Or
59e3T91.gif

Last edited:

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure if it counts but I have vacation that week. I'll be out of the office, but only because it was a coincidence. I will definitely support these though.

Deleted member 11113

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for making the thread! I'll be participating for sure. This is genuinely exciting and I hope we see a great turnout. Add on the international rebellion that Extinction Rebellion is staging in October and we should be in for an eventful Autumn.

You don't actually have to strike/skip work to participate!
OP
OP
FliX

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Not sure how me getting fired is going to help save the planet.
You don't actually have to strike, they suggest many things you can do beyond skipping work.

What if I can't go on strike?
Workers' rights and labour laws vary hugely around the world, and not everyone can work, strike or be part of a union. On a grossly unequal planet, some of us can't do without a single day's pay, and some of us work for bosses who would fire us if we dared try.
And some jobs simply can't stop: emergency room doctors should keep on saving lives. But many of us can put off for 24 hours our usual work, confident it will be there when we return.
The strike called by youth on September 20 will kick start a week of climate action with many different plans underway in different parts of the world allowing adults to join together, step up and take action for our climate.
Here is a range of ways you could join the Climate Strikes if you're supposed to be working on September 20 or 27

Last edited:

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Cutting out red meat consumption is also extremely important and should be in the OP. Easy thing anyone can do.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I most definetely have better things to do with my time than try to save the planet.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I could block my schedule and get a smoothie in the name of global warming

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Getting fired from my job isn't going to stop developing countries from screwing things up even worse. I don't have children, I figure that's a greater help to the environment.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks, OP. I'll bring this up to my union rep. A walkout probably won't be possible but I'll see what our options are. Either way, I'll probably call in on those days.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I'll be there. People need to start acting because time is running out. I'm doing as much as I can personally but structural change is required.

Palgan

Dec 13, 2017
Of course I'll be there.

Come on man, these kinds of things rarely registers with many. We will see dozens of people talking bout how no one is doing anything, but how many of those actually do something? It is the way it is.

That's just plain wrong. There are hundreds of people on the streets where I live in a town of 60.000 people, every Friday. And no one is going to stop until everyone has realised that we are just destroying all we've got at such a fast pace. People are doing something, you simply have to join.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Of course I'll be there.

That's just plain wrong. There are hundreds of people on the streets where I live in a town of 60.000 people, every Friday. And no one is going to stop until everyone has realised that we are just destroying all we've got at such a fast pace. People are doing something, you simply have to join.

I was speaking about ERA.

OP
OP
FliX

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
vsbQsm9m.png

Like with any protest remember a few key phrases for when the police (and any other agency!) want's to talk to you. Know your constitutional rights!

When they stop you:
  • Am I being detained? If not feel free to just say no thanks and wander off.
  • Why?/What's your reasonable/articulable suspicion? If they have none at least they now know they are on very wobbly ground.
When they want to take a look into your bag/car/apartment/whatever
  • I will not resist, but I do not consent to this search. Resisting might get you shot, probably not worth it, but make sure you make your rights known, anything they find can be torn apart by your lawyer later and not be used against you without a search warrant. Never consent to a search!
When they actually go through and arrest you
  • I am going to remain silent. Saying anything else after resets this, so you have to restate it over again if you say something!
  • I want a lawyer. Say nothing else thereafter, except I am going to remain silent.

Also of course: Don't talk to the Police, ever!

vsbQsm9m.png

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to go the strike in Greenville, SC, or maybe Charlotte, NC if my schedule works out and I can find a squad to go with. If anyone's got a group going to one of these and doesn't mind a +1, or would like to go to one of these, maybe hit me up? I can drive/pick people up, got a (fuel efficient!) mid-size sedan.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
vsbQsm9m.png

Like with any protest remember a few key phrases for when the police (and any other agency!) want's to talk to you. Know your constitutional rights!

When they stop you:
  • Am I being detained? If not feel free to just say no thanks and wander off.
  • Why?/What's your reasonable/articulable suspicion? If they have none at least they now know they are on very wobbly ground.
When they want to take a look into your bag/car/apartment/whatever
  • I will not resist, but I do not consent to this search. Resisting might get you shot, probably not worth it, but make sure you make your rights known, anything they find can be torn apart by your lawyer later and not be used against you without a search warrant. Never consent to a search!
When they actually go through and arrest you
  • I am going to remain silent. Saying anything else after resets this, so you have to restate it over again if you say something!
  • I want a lawyer. Say nothing else thereafter, except I am going to remain silent.

Also of course: Don't talk to the Police, ever!

vsbQsm9m.png

Don't forget these trusty standbys:
"I'm a sovereign citizen."
"I am not driving, I am traveling."
"Don't tase me bro."

clyde_

Nov 2, 2017
I just found out about this today. Seems like there might be some significant participation in my town. I'm going to at least show up for a rally on Friday, but to be honest, I doubt I would if I didn't already have the day off.

clyde_

Nov 2, 2017
I just watched some YouTube videos about climate change and what we need to do and how few of us care and such.
I need a focus (literature to pass out, something to research while waiting for Friday, a buzzword to make cardboard signs with) so I've decided it is the Green New Deal. I'm American.