• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
The shortage in chips, the "brain" within every electronic device in the world, has been steadily worsening since last year.

However, although production is back to normal, a new surge in demand driven by changing habits fuelled by the pandemic means that it is now reaching crisis point.

"Chips are everything," says Neil Campling, media and tech analyst at Mirabaud. "There is a perfect storm of supply and demand factors going on here. But basically, there is a new level of demand that can't be kept up with, everyone is in crisis and it is getting worse."

www.theguardian.com

Global shortage in computer chips 'reaches crisis point'

Consumer price rises loom while dearth of semiconductors slow production from Samsung to Ford

Most likely we will never recover to normal supply until early 2023.

Gurgelhals

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I don't know about you guys, but I'm finding it increasingly unlikely that we're getting a Switch Pro this year... :-(

Bardeh

Jun 15, 2018
Well damn. I always expected my 1080ti to last a while, but it looks like I'll be keeping it for a good long time yet.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Don't put all of your eggs in one basket.

One of the oldest proverbs still around and we keep repeating the mistake over and over.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
my mobo shorting out last october was actually a good thing last year as it forced me to build instead of waiting until this year it seems

Gurgelhals

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if this will affect the PS5/Xbox Series X/S shortages as well.

It already does and it will continue to do so. AMD is making everything of note – Ryzen chiplets, GPUs, console SoCs – using TSMC's 7nm process. And that one is in short supply as it is. According to reports, things should get a bit better over the coming months with AMD getting around 10,000 additional wafers per quarter on top of what they already have. Whether this is going to be enough to meet demand is up in the air though. Personally, I doubt it.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if this will delay any next gen launch or mid gen upgrades from Sony and MS. I can see this generation lasting a decade (2030) , especially if AMD's DLSS competitor comes to consoles like they say they want to and it's decent.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Took me 3 months of hunting to get a 3090 and a 5900X, and it seems like I may have gotten lucky even with that.

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm so glad that I managed to snag a 3080 in November. Just in time to not have to deal with this nonsense.
Also makes the lack of available PS5s easier to deal with.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The way this would normally work:

Short supply has to be offset by increase in prices, which would be passed to the buyers and then to the end users.
Increase in prices to the chip production leads to profit margin increase, which would lead more businesses to enter that market, thus creating more chip producers.
Then that would constrain the raw materials, leading to an increase in their costs, which would be passed through to the chip producers, the buyers, and the end users.
Then the profit margin on the raw material increases, which would lead to more businesses to enter that market, thus creating more mining businesses, etc.

If the raw material itself is constrained, then eventually producers would either have to pony up even MORE money, or find a different method of producing chips. Either a different raw material or a more efficient way of using the raw material.

These squeezes throughout the market may take a year or more to ripple through, and for production to ramp up to meet demand. Unless some new technology replaced the need for chips, I don't see the need going down ever.

The price of electronics across the board might go up yeah, but at what point do customers just say: "Nah" ?

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if this will delay any next gen launch or mid gen upgrades from Sony and MS. I can see this generation lasting a decade (2030) , especially if AMD's DLSS competitor comes to consoles like they say they want to and it's decent.

Between the lack of games and lack of available consoles, it doesn't feel like this new generation is really going to get going until 2023.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is why I secured a PS5 even if mostly that is all to play on it at this point is just upgraded PS4 games. When the big games do drop I'll be ready.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Don't put all of your eggs in one basket.

One of the oldest proverbs still around and we keep repeating the mistake over and over.
The problem is that we came up with fancier and fancier eggs that required appropriately fancy baskets and now there's only one basket and it's not expanding fast enough because each expansion costs as much as a military procurement contract. We still have less fancy baskets but they won't do unless you accept less fancy eggs.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
So what's the alternative for microchips for electronics exactly?

I didn't say that.

We've put our chip making largely in the hands of TSMC. Global foundries fell behind. Intel fell behind. We (not just the US, but every country) have given Taiwan and China too much of our own burden and this is the result. TSMC is undoubtedly the best at what they do, but it doesn't mean that the rest of the world should have given up entirely.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Welp. Looks like its gonna continue to be a trickle of stock for some products.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
So how long are we gonna be stuck with cross gen games due to low PS5/X Series low install base? lol

OCD Guy

Nov 2, 2017
It's funny as despite these known issues, stock of consoles is becoming more and more frequent in the UK.

Whilst we are nowhere near a point of having stock at most retailers and buying at your own convenience, we've gone from having retailers put stock up for sale once a month to a weekly basis.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
So how long are we gonna be stuck with cross gen games due to low PS5/X Series low install base? lol

You are going to get cross-gen games in 2022.

WB ain't going to cut PS4 and Xbox One from Gotham Knights and Hogwarts Legacy for example, and who knows how many 2020/2021 titles were delayed to 2022 even without an official announcement.

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't say that.

We've put our chip making largely in the hands of TSMC. Global foundries fell behind. Intel fell behind. We (not just the US, but every country) have given Taiwan and China too much of our own burden and this is the result. TSMC is undoubtedly the best at what they do, but it doesn't mean that the rest of the world should have given up entirely.
Fair enough. I'm assuming they figure getting local foundries up to their level and for their cost point (especially given that the volume of work they get means they can easily undercut anyone else) isn't very feasible

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised to see this generation last a full decade now.

This is why I secured a PS5 even if mostly that is all to play on it at this point is just upgraded PS4 games. When the big games do drop I'll be ready.

Same. And with the situation being such that it is, it's not like there's going to be a price drop any time soon; no point in waiting when I can at least play my PS4 games better than ever along with the occasional new PS5 exclusive.

And my PC is still powerful enough to play through any recent games as well regardless of whether I'm able to get a GPU soon.

Septimus

Oct 27, 2017
So glad I managed to get a ps5 last year. Seems like it's going to be a shit show for a while for people wanting one. Not to mention pc parts, Switch pro etc

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Cross Gen is going to be longer than usual folks. I hope I can snag either a PS5 or Xbox Series X at some point this year.