• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

meadowdrone

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Gloomhaven is a fully co-operative, dungeon crawling tactical combat board game for 1-4 players, set in a persistent world with unlockable characters, secrets and a branching story.

pic2437871.jpg

Summary
The #1 all-time rated game on Board Game Geek started off popular and has only been getting more popular with time, and with it now being in more hands over Christmas and with upcoming expansions and sequels, I think it's time this community had its own thread!

Players will take on the role of a wandering adventurer with their own special set of skills and their own reasons for travelling to this dark corner of the world. Players must work together out of necessity to clear out menacing dungeons and forgotten ruins. In the process, they will enhance their abilities with experience and loot, discover new locations to explore and plunder, and expand an ever-branching story fuelled by the decisions they make.

This is a game with a persistent and changing world that is ideally played over many game sessions, covering 99 scenarios! After a scenario, players will make decisions on what to do, which will determine how the story continues, kind of like a "Choose Your Own Adventure" book. Playing through a scenario is a cooperative affair where players will fight against automated monsters using an innovative card system to determine the order of play and what a player does on their turn. Even for a regular game group, Gloomhaven will take a year+ to complete, making it amazing value for money given the price tag of around $140/£120 - that said, it can occasionally be found for cheaper.

Gameplay & Flow

Gloomhaven-AGM-009.jpg
39185271560_f361ac39be_z.jpg

In the City of Gloomhaven

The party can do a few things while preparing for adventure in the often unwelcoming and corrupt inns, markets and back alleys of Gloomhaven:
  • Newcomers can create a new character, giving them a name and a personal quest, which can be shared with the party, and create their own deck from the choices given.
  • For characters who gained enough XP during the last scenario, you can level up your character, unlocking new tiers of cards to add to your deck and giving you new perks to help swing the odds in your favour during tight battles.
  • The shop is available to purchase weapons, gear and other items to help you in your quest. As the prosperity of Gloomhaven increases over your campaign, more items become available to the party.
  • A randomly drawn city card tells a small narrative to flesh out the geography and dwellers of Gloomhaven, giving you two choices on how you would like to react to the situation at hand. Depending on your choice, the consequences could be rewarding - or punishing.
To the Dungeon
  • If your next dungeon is not connected directly to Gloomhaven, a randomly drawn road event card can be played much like the city cards, but be warned - they are usually more risky than the city events.
  • In the dungeon, following the story intro narrated by one of your group, the real gameplay begins. Each turn, a player chooses two cards to play out of their hand. The number on the first card determines their initiative for the round. Each card also has a top and bottom power, and when it is a player's turn in the initiative order, they determine whether to use the top power of one card and the bottom power of the other, or vice-versa. Players must be careful, though, because over time they will permanently lose cards from their hands. If they take too long to clear a dungeon, they may end up exhausted and be forced to retreat. The moves might involve moving, attacking, healing, shielding, or some other unique supporting action.
    20171202_112150.jpg

just pretend there's two cards here okay
  • When attacking, the player draws from their attack modifier deck, a separate deck of cards with values of eg. -1, +1, +2 or more surprises:
Gloomhaven-attack-modifier.jpg
  • The powers of the six elements can also be harnessed during the adventure, leading to the ability to unleash even more powerful versions of your normal attacks.

Character Classes

The game comes with 17 characters, each with their own unique look, feel and gameplay style, though they will often have roots in the traditional styles of offence, tank and support familiar to RPG players. Six are available at the start, with the remaining characters kept locked away in tantalising sealed boxes, only opened when you unlock them through the campaign - usually through a character realising their personal goal, but there are a couple of exceptions. As your character levels up, new cards become available to add to your deck which usually strengthens further the theme of your character - for example, the earth-based Cragheart gains new the potential to pick up nearby rocks and throw them at their enemies, or explode rocks to damage all the enemies around it and other fun ways to manipulate the obstacles dotted around the dungeon.

Available to all players at the start are the squishy but speedy and dangeous psychic Mindthief, the no-nonsense damage dealer Brute, the nimble rogue Scoundrel, strategic spellcaster Spellweaver, rock-smashing Cragheart, and clockwork ally-summoning support Tinkerer.

pic2657094.png
da07e7dc6d6637f35d33738e910ae991.png

The World of Gloomhaven

Like any good board game, this one comes with a board, but in true being very extra Gloomhaven fashion, it's not actually used for gameplay - but rather, serves as a world map and allows you to place stickers on all the locations revealed so far during your campaign, as well as track your party's achievements and Gloomhaven's prosperity. A nice touch to help immerse your party in the world around you as you travel back and forth to the various dungeons, keeps, creepy caves around the world.

pic2713619.jpg

Notes for Newbies & FAQ (I'll keep this updated!)​
  • The game box is HILARIOUSLY BIG AND HEAVY, coming in at upwards of 10kg! So uh, be warned if you have a bad back, or something.
  • The first couple of scenarios can be tough! I highly recommend setting the difficulty to easy (scenario level 0) to start off with. The objective difficulty of scenarios is almost completely consistent, so the game tends to get easier as you become more familiar with the game mechanics and pacing, at which point you can notch up the difficulty in exchange for a better challenge and more rewards at the end of the dungeon. That being said, it's really not a massively complex game at the end of the day, so don't let the box size put you off.
  • Along the same lines - you will definitely make mistakes with the rules at the start! Usually not in your favour, too, which might cause you fail the scenarios at first. Don't sweat it too much! After all, you still get to keep the XP and gold you earned. The rule book is really good, and the reference page on the back cover points to the page numbers for any icons for which you need some specifics.
  • While best enjoyed with a consistent group, the campaign does not live or die by its players. When starting a scenario, the difficulty is set by averaging the levels of all player characters, so it is fully compatible with people who may drop out or join in, either temporarily or permanently.
  • Gloomhaven can be played solo by controlling two characters. Solo board game players seem to have a great time with it!
  • The narrative is not necessarily a "main quest with side quests" in structure that you might be used to from video game RPGs - it has a set of smaller plot threads which branch wildly, allowing you to poke around in various dungeons and see what happens, and some of those will result in other branches being closed off to you forever, but you will not really see much of a single, core plot thread to follow. So don't expect a single huge, satisfying, sweeping story. Discuss your next adventure with your party and go with your gut (or your character's personal quest)!
  • There is a removable sticker set that costs about £10/$10 can be used in place of the normal stickers that come with the game. Apart from being removable, they are otherwise identical. The set also includes elements usually filled out in pencil on the game board, like Gloomhaven's prosperty level. Great if you want resale value.
  • iOS/Android/PC app Gloomhaven Helper, lets you keep the monster stats, the monster behaviour deck, the element tracker board, and the HP/exp dials in the box. While it's fun to use these physical elements first, this will not only save so much time during setup, gameplay and tear down over a single night, this will add up through your whole campaign to many, *many* hours saved. It can be used remotely too, so each player can connect over the net to the same session and keep their initiatives secret until you all draw and keep track of your own character's HP, exp and status effects. Essential.
  • for the love of everything that is holy, don't forget you can lose a card from your hand (or 2 from your discard pile) to avoid an incoming attack
  • Need advice on the game, a scenario, mechanic or guidance on whether it's the right board game for you? Feel free to ask any questions!

Sequels & Expansions
Those feeling intimidated or priced out of Gloomhaven need not worry: Upcoming small (mid?) box "standalone expansion" Jaws of the Lion will be out this year, and contain its own self-contained story, a smaller box, 4 characters, and more economical components to keep the price down. Also, the campaign difficulty curve will be much more gentle, and serve as an introduction for those who would prefer to be introduced to mechanics in a piecemeal fashion. Expect a Kickstarter relatively soon!

For those who have played the hell out of Gloomhaven and want more, you can already buy small-box expansion Forgotten Circles which includes a new set of scenarios, and new class Diviner that is available to play immediately, who can also be integrated into your base game before finishing the base game.

The big boy sequel, Frosthaven, has been announced and is looking to be on the same scope as Gloomhaven itself. We don't know much about this, but as all small and big box expansions are intended to be compatible with Gloomhaven with full integration, it seems reasonable expect more content rather than any drastically different changes to the game itself. That being said, the new starting characters are in my opinion, extremely cool aesthetically and in terms of how the characters' themes fit their card decks and I can't wait.

Spoiler Rules
There are 17 character classes from the base game and expansions/sequels you can talk about openly and without spoiler tags:
Gloomhaven: Cragheart, Brute, Tinkerer, Mindthief, Scoundrel, Spellweaver
Forgotten Circles: Diviner
Jaws of the Lion: Voidwarden, Hatchet, Demolitionist, Red Guard
Frosthaven: Drifter, Blink Blade, Banner Spear, Deathwalker, Necromancer, Geminate

For unlockable classes, you can use descriptions of the logos before spoiler tags when posting pictures of the character boards, minis, cards or mechanics discussion. In the GH community, the unlockable ones are commonly referred to as Sun, Three Spears, Circles, Two-Mini, Eclipse, Cthulhu, Lightning Bolts, Music Note, Angry Face, Saw and Triforce. Fake example:
is a character I haven't unlocked yet, actually

For game scenario or plot discussion, just use common sense. Better to be safe than sorry, just post the scenario number and name when hiding text in a spoiler block.

Introduce Yourselves!
Got a campaign going already and want to share? Introduce your group with your progress (don't share your nicknames of unlockable classes if it hints at their abilities!):

Scenarios Done: 69
Campaign Started: 6th September, 1969
Current Party: Mindthief aka Sneaky, Cthulhu, Cragheart aka Rockman II, Angry Face
Prosperity: Level 69
No. of retirements: 69

Painted miniatures, questions, surprises, anecdotes, post away!

OP
OP
meadowdrone

meadowdrone

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Scenarios Done: 14
Campaign Started: April/May 2019
Current Party: Mindthief, Cragheart (me!), Tinkerer, Triforce
Prosperity: 3
No. of retirements: 1

We just unlocked Sun yesterday and I'm super excited! It looks like great fun.
See 2 people retire and unlock Music Note so I'm really looking forward to the double whammy when we see our next retirement.

Also, I 3D printed and spray painted a storage box + player deck for each of our group!
oTt5mkO.jpg
NVLVUbS.jpg
m1JgqP4.jpg

Last edited:

yungronny

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Awesome! I was heading to the board game OT to talk about Gloomhaven but this popped up at the perfect time. I just retired my second character last night(music note class) and will be picking up the scoundrel. Super excited to try her out.

Obi

Oct 27, 2017
I just started a campaign with four friends last night. It was super fun! The only thing was that we still didn't finish the first scenario after playing 4.5 hrs. I can leave everything setup on my table, so that's not a problem. But I'm a bit worried about it taking so long per map, it might get to be a bit much during the work week for my friends. Hopefully though, now that we know how to play, things will go quicker. I might try that app, it just feels weird using phones during a boardgame.

Oct 27, 2017
Really funny because I bought this last week and my partner and I tried to play it. We spent 4 hours going through the initial setup - watching a how-to video and trying to play the first scenario only to realize.... we hate it LOL

So now I have this thing and I'm gonna try to sell it. Anyone wanna buy it from me? Basically unused except for the very initial setup setup being used.

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really funny because I bought this last week and my partner and I tried to play it. We spent 4 hours going through the initial setup - watching a how-to video and trying to play the first scenario only to realize.... we hate it LOL

So now I have this thing and I'm gonna try to sell it. Anyone wanna buy it from me? Basically unused except for the very initial setup setup being used.
If you haven't used any of the stickers or opened any of the sealed boxes/envelopes, you can probably fetch a good price for it. Either find a local group for selling/trading, or try the Boardgamegeek market.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Honestly, it would probably be worth a second shot, now that you have a lot of the more tedious work out of the way. I feel like no board game has a good first impression because of the learning curve.

OP
OP
meadowdrone

meadowdrone

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I just started a campaign with four friends last night. It was super fun! The only thing was that we still didn't finish the first scenario after playing 4.5 hrs. I can leave everything setup on my table, so that's not a problem. But I'm a bit worried about it taking so long per map, it might get to be a bit much during the work week for my friends. Hopefully though, now that we know how to play, things will go quicker. I might try that app, it just feels weird using phones during a boardgame.
I know what you mean and I was similarly reluctant, but after we tried it (after about 5 or 6 games) I realised it just enhanced the game's sense of cooperation rather than detracted from it. That said we have a tablet propped up on the table which we use for our info and monster info that's always on, then just pop to our phones to tap in initiative numbers when we're choosing cards. I've found that approach is ideal. Either way it's worth a shot if you feel like tracking monsters the normal way and the setup gets a bit much after a while.

Lexxon

Oct 25, 2017
We're something like 50 scenarios into the main campaign, been going for a little over a year. We have a pretty solid 4 player party and try to meet roughly twice a month. Only one more class to unlock.

Love this game. Especially in the meat of it, unlocking new classes, new scenarios, etc.--so much fun. I can absolutely see why it's not everyone's cup of tea but it works great for us.

Trying to get back into the swing of things after slowing down during football season and the holidays. We'll probably wrap up side quests and the last few main campaign missions by summer. I already have Forgotten Circles ready to go, although definitely some mixed reviews out there on the internet for FC.

he only thing was that we still didn't finish the first scenario after playing 4.5 hrs. I can leave everything setup on my table, so that's not a problem. But I'm a bit worried about it taking so long per map, it might get to be a bit much during the work week for my friends.

We've been using Gloomhaven Helper since the start, primarily on my Chromebook via the Android app, and I've since set up a TV to cast the app to. Helps a ton with the fiddly bits for the monsters and such. I don't personally use it for initiative or character tracking, I like to keep all of that in cardboard. Just using it for monster health/action cards/modifier deck helps a TON, and I highly recommend it.

You will also get faster as you get more familiar with the game. We tend to go more quickly when we have more people used to their characters--when someone retires, things slow down for a bit, or if we have a party makeup that simply moves slower.

OP
OP
meadowdrone

meadowdrone

Oct 27, 2017
UK
The Gloomhaven Forteller app is out on Android! Professional voice acted narration, honestly I was quite taken aback by how good they sounded. Right now it's the first 51 scenarios are out, assuming the rest will be a free update further down the line?

I found out about Forteller after backing The Isofarian Guard on KS, then was pleasantly surprised to find out they were already working on Gloomhaven first. There's something to be said about having a "DM" player have fun with the narration and having the group take turns with the road and city events, but for others this might be up your alley. Some samples here: https://www.fortellergames.com/games/gloomhaven

In other news, did an scenario #27, Ruinous Rift and it was pretty exciting:
Having a single claustraphobic room with constantly spawning monsters got pretty intense. It was one of the only scenarios where I just had to forget about cheesing exp and do absolutely everything I can to survive. Still, being a lv 7 cragheart I had a lot of super fun tools at my disposal.

I'm excited to retire and try something new, but god Cragheart becomes so much fun at later levels! I'll be sad to see him go. Looking forward to playing him even more now that I've enhanced a few cards (CURSE DIRT TORNADO HERE WE COME).

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm really tempted to buy this game, just out of appreciation for its sheer size and number of components. But dungeon crawling/generic high fantasy isn't exactly my thing, and I'm not sure if I can hook my friends.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
Amazon has this for about $100 at the moment, so I picked up a copy for the wife and I to enjoy (anticipating some nights spent in over the next few weeks.) Can't wait to give it a go!

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017

FunkyStudent

Jan 28, 2019
Scenarios Done: 15ish (we're on our second playthrough)
Campaign Started: November 2019
Current Party: Cragheart (Rocco), Two-Mini (name redacted for potential spoilers), Music Note (Pimento), Three Spears (Goldie)
Prosperity: Level 3
No. of retirements: 4

We had a fun cascade of three retirements in one scenario a couple of weeks ago. Two completed their quest in the scenario by killing unique monster types, then a third completed theirs because others retired.

Still painting figures despite owning the game for the past two years. The poor figure quality makes it difficult for a newish painter. Have had to strip the paint on start over on a handful of the classes.

Can't wait for the Frosthaven Kickstarter to drop this month.

I'm really tempted to buy this game, just out of appreciation for its sheer size and number of components. But dungeon crawling/generic high fantasy isn't exactly my thing, and I'm not sure if I can hook my friends.
The dungeon crawling doesn't involve much exploration (i.e., take your time prodding at the environment like in D&D). It's a bit more akin to Diablo, just with less to see + you're almost always in combat and always under the gun to keep moving forward.
As far as generic high fantasy, it does a good job at skirting those tropes, at least in terms of races and classes. Not to say that it's earthshatteringly innovative, but most of the races feel fresh (no dwarves, elves, etc.) Anyways, the setting and story are more of a footnote, with 80% of your time being placed on the combat.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Gloomhaven was such a blast.
Frosthaven kickstarter up soon! Dunno if I should dig in or wait for the first revision.

What additional adventures are there?

Gloomhaven: Solo adventures (tie in)
Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles (sequel-addon)
Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion (streamlined prequel)
Frosthaven (spiritual sequel)

Anything else?

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gloomhaven was such a blast.
Frosthaven kickstarter up soon! Dunno if I should dig in or wait for the first revision.

What additional adventures are there?

Gloomhaven: Solo adventures (tie in)
Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles (sequel-addon)
Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion (streamlined prequel)
Frosthaven (spiritual sequel)

Anything else?
There are some official printable campaigns too.

1) Capital Intrigue https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1966465/new-community-driven-expedition-begins
Full pdf here https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Sy-KLhhBAirG2gQcUjf6G3YePZvdgNwG/view

2) Into the Unknown https://www.reddit.com/r/Gloomhaven/wiki/game/scenarios/2nd_printing_mini_campaign
Full pdf here https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByjttQlCjDQ_TXQtLUVLVXNRNlk/view

3) The Infinite Beyond https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/2264875/3rd-campaign-infinite-beyond-summary

4) The Blacksmith and the Bear - still in-progress https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2393946/new-community-driven-campaign-blacksmith-and-bear

Source: https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/thing:174430:Scenarios

OP
OP
meadowdrone

meadowdrone

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Had our final OG character retire, a level 8 mindthief. Having a bunch of level 4 characters definitely meant our mindthief was starting to carry us a bit... I'll miss the evil little critter!

We've just unlocked cthulhuface which is going to be running with scoundrel (a freshly rolled char after triforce), music note (me!) and two-mini. Looking forward to seeing it in action! The blurb and artwork is so good

Also I'm sure everyone has seen this by now but here's the Frosthaven kickstarter! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/frosthaven/frosthaven

FunkyStudent

Jan 28, 2019
Anyone have any experience with the Broken Token system? I've been using tackle boxes for the original game, which works fine, but takes up a lot of space.

OP
OP
meadowdrone

meadowdrone

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Anyone have any experience with the Broken Token system? I've been using tackle boxes for the original game, which works fine, but takes up a lot of space.
I use tackle boxes too and honestly I just leave them out of the game box. Makes setup way easier, especially getting to the cards I need that I do leave in the game box.

Probably gonna do the same for Frosthaven too, £80 for the organisers vs £10 for tackle boxes doesn't really seem worth it though I obviously get the appeal.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I just ordered this thing and I don't know why, really. I just wanted it since I missed the KS.

Is anyone in here playing Gloomhaven solo? 'cause that is what I will mostly do, even if I get a friend or two to jump in from time to time.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
I just ordered this thing and I don't know why, really. I just wanted it since I missed the KS.

Is anyone in here playing Gloomhaven solo? 'cause that is what I will mostly do, even if I get a friend or two to jump in from time to time.
It's always better with friends obviously. There are extra rules for solo-play tho.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Got to the end of my fifth scenario and switched from 2p to 3p solo, it's even better! It's a pretty fun game even on my own, wonder how long it'll hook me :)

FunkyStudent

Jan 28, 2019
Has anyone tried out JotL yet? My copy's getting in on Wednesday, but I won't be able to tuck in for a couple of weekends.

Oct 25, 2017
How was Gloomhaven on Steam's version, The early access one? I want to know the feedback from it, like, any great improvement or what?

Oct 31, 2017
I just got and played jaws of the lion, this is my first gloomhaven experience and I'm loving it. The world they build and the gameplay are both fantastic in this game. It really sold me on the game systems and I'll probably buy gloomhaven proper as soon as we finish this.

The Wizard

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone been playing on Tabletop Simulator?
I have! All the YouTube hype for Jaws of the Lion got to me and I devoured the 5 session tutorial content with a Hatchet and Red Guard combo.
Even thought I own big box Gloomhaven and had internalised a good chunk of the rules the JotL tutorial really helped it click. I've picked up the two characters myself and my brother were using in our physical big box adventure (Scoundrel and Mind Thief, surprisingly effective sneaky assassins) and have blitzed through 5-6 scenarios over the past week.
Having the monster stats display right above the standees in the board is a game changer. Even Gloomhaven helper feels a bit rubbish in comparison IMO.
That said it is a very busy game solo and I don't love managing two hands of cards and juggling two builds. I think I will have to try to recruit some players to pick up a group campaign to see more of the content. Once Jaws is fully uploaded it seems like it will make for a great introduction.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Hey! I never knew there was a Gloomhaven Community here, so nice to meet you all!

I had a group that played the tabletop version pretty consistently, a scenario or two a week, and we pretty much beat everything. Lately, though, I've been playing on my own through Tablestop Simulator, and it's a pretty fantastic version.

I wasn't able to get my hands on a copy of Jaws of the Lion yet, but I'm dying to. Someone ordered it for me as a gift, and it won't arrive until September, so I guess I'm waiting. D:

Lexxon

Oct 25, 2017
Snagged this during the Amazon sale. Is it weird that I'm more excited to organize it than play it?
Ha, nah, I'm "weird" like that too. I ended up doing the Y.A.S.S. to cut down on costs:

boardgamegeek.com

Y.A.S.S (Yet Another Storage Solution) | Gloomhaven

A few people have messaged me asking for pictures showing how I've organized Gloomhaven. I think it's a great system: everything fits in the box, the important things are labelled and well separated, set up and tear down are quick, and implementing it doesn't consume a huge

We're starting the expansion FC soon, albeit digitally, and probably for the foreseeable future since our 4th party member has no plans on getting vaccinated...*grumble grumble*, otherwise I was worried about how to sort all the new stuff with the old. Might be easier digitally anyways!

Mr X

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia / US
Digital version gets it's full release on Oct 20th. As many hours we've spent with the board game, it will be nice to have no setup time for the digital version. Will get back into the board game once Frosthaven releases.

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
Seems like my friends might actually be interested in Gloomhaven digital, so looking forward to finally playing the campaign.

Meanwhilel been playing Guildmaster mode to get myself more familiar with the actual game mechanics.

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey a Gloomhaven OT! I had no idea.

Reposting my last post from the board game OT - after a year or so of playing Gloomhaven solo I finally finished a personal quest and retired a character! Rest up level 7 Cragheart, you will be missed. I unlocked the Lightning Bolts character which was really exciting until I saw what their mechanics entail - yikes, talk about needing a strategy change! In fact this mechanic seems so un-fun to me that I'm thinking of skipping Lightning Bolts and choosing one of the other starting classes instead to pair with my level 8 Spellweaver.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Hey a Gloomhaven OT! I had no idea.

Reposting my last post from the board game OT - after a year or so of playing Gloomhaven solo I finally finished a personal quest and retired a character! Rest up level 7 Cragheart, you will be missed. I unlocked the Lightning Bolts character which was really exciting until I saw what their mechanics entail - yikes, talk about needing a strategy change! In fact this mechanic seems so un-fun to me that I'm thinking of skipping Lightning Bolts and choosing one of the other starting classes instead to pair with my level 8 Spellweaver.
It's not unfun and you don't have to play into it, if you don't want to. You also have plenty of tools available so it's not really as harsh as you might first imagine. You can also just play with strategy and avoid getting hit to begin with. It's definitely one of the stronger classes in the game.

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks Zukuu, good advice - I'm worried I might struggle in the longer scenarios. My Spellweaver only holds 8 cards (even though I can get them back once) and Lighting Bolts only holds 9 compared to the 11 my Cragheart held but I'll give it a try first.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the lightning bolt character immensely when I played this with my group fwiw. Was actually my favorite out of the 4 or 5 I played.

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
Ooh, apparently you can already play the campaign on Gloomhaven Digital on the open beta branch.

The Wizard

Oct 25, 2017
Is the digital edition campaign 1:1 with the board game gameplay wise? Our group just finished Divinity 2 this could be a good co-op while we wait out baldurs gate 3 1.0

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
It's pretty close to 1:1. They made some changes that the original designer was okay with and even preferred for the digital version. For example, enhancements are not shared between the same class in the digital version, because that was a limitation with the physical version and stickers. But without that limitation, each character of the same class has separate enhancements, which can also be more costly. I think some items are streamlined, and maybe some monster movement decisions. Think of it as like Through the Ages having their digital rules vs board game rules for bidding, which streamlines things, and also seems to have become the more popular way people play it nowadays.

You can read/watch more at https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2698861/enhancements-and-gloomhaven-digital

Reviews are also starting to drop.

www.polygon.com

Gloomhaven’s digital adaptation is a marvelous turn-based dungeon crawler

The seminal tabletop experience gets a remarkable port

www.indiegamewebsite.com

Gloomhaven review - The Indie Game Website

Gloomhaven may feature the standard fantasy fare of RPG, but its tactics are anything but typical. Read our review.

https://it.ign.com/gloomhaven/187429/review/gloomhaven-la-recensione (Italian)

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
Welp, price is up $10 now. Hope people got it already if they were thinking about it.

Still available at cheaper price on Humble Bundle though

Mr X

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia / US
I enjoyed the lightning bolt character immensely when I played this with my group fwiw. Was actually my favorite out of the 4 or 5 I played.
When I first played lightning bolt, I hated it and couldn't drop it soon enough. Gave it a 2nd try later and became my favorite only surpassed by mindtheif. G/f had used scoundrel on my 2nd attempt and we absolutely murdered. It was the setup we had when we first faced the
Gloom.
I've since played lightning bolt a 2nd time through to retirement and have only done that with Cragheart previously.

Last edited: