• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Best thing about the show is the 30 min episodes. I struggle sometimes to watch episodes of a hour. And just now i watched 3 episodes right after eachother. It just flows more nicely that way.

Agree. It's perfect at 30 min and there is no filler in the show. I didn't even realize Ep. 10 was 45 min.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Really good season. Improvement over season 1 which I already liked a good bit.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
I read the marriage as Bash trying to convince himself he's hetero but I could also see other explanations. It did seem as though his and Floriamn's relationship was platonic so who knows.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I just finished season 2. Wow! That was an amazing season! I loved the hospital scene in episode 7. That was a long time coming! Bash's friend/butler Florian was really sad to watch and I'm interested to see Bash's storyline for season 3 (it's getting renewed, right?!) especially with all the crazy stuff that happened in episode 10. I am wary about the big change for season 3 (again, its getting renewed, right?!) but I'm still optimistic about it.

large_gourd

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 29, 2018
I'm only speculating, but it does seem that GLOW doesn't get as much discussion as I would have expected.

I wonder if it's because of the 'it's about wrestling' logline turning away non-wrestling fans, then 'it's about women's wrestling' turning off a lot of male-focused wrestling fans, then the fact that the cast doesn't have many drawing names (except Alison Brie but it seems like a lot of that is based on her being hot, and they play that down with Ruth).

Then you've got when you actually start watching the show, yeah it's kind of about wrestling, but it's really about group dynamics and personal relationships that don't have much to do with wrestling at all, it's just the set-dressing. It's just about things like marriage and friendship and finding your way in life, and can occasionally be a bit saccharine.

I'm not saying any of this makes it a bad show in any way; it's one of my favourites going on right now. I just think it could be a pretty niche cross section of people they manage to attract. People who aren't prudish about wrestling combined with people who are interested in a mostly-female cast and their various interpersonal matters. I expect a lot of the audience who would enjoy it are filtered out by the superficial premise, or what they think the premise is.

Or maybe none of that is true and it's doing just fine. Just seems like there isn't much talk about GLOW going on.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netflix "dump all episodes at once" format pretty much destroys discussion around all but a few shows. People immediately binge for fear of spoilers, then just drop in to say "That was a good season, see you next year!".

I wouldn't take lack of discussion surrounding the show as any kind of negative indicator. It's at 85 on Metacritic, and is the #10 ranked show of 2018.

Cocksman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Marc Maron should get nominated for a golden globe and an Emmy. He's so good in this. No disrespect to the rest of the cast(they're great too) but every time Sam isn't on screen I'm always wondering what he's doing. Fantastic stuff.

Moose the Fattest Cat

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Marc Maron should get nominated for a golden globe and an Emmy. He's so good in this. No disrespect to the rest of the cast(they're great too) but every time Sam isn't on screen I'm always wondering what he's doing. Fantastic stuff.

Absolutely agree. I think this is Alison Brie's best work, too. But Maron is a revelation, in the best "Tom Hanks in a League of Their Own" since Tom Hanks in a League of Their Own.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Liked seeing the development of some of the side characters this season. I hope Vicky the Viking gets that too, since she's one of the few who didn't really do much given what happened to her character.

Still, season was fantastic and I hope to see more of it.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I've watched the first 7 episodes, it's a fantastic season so far. Might be my favorite Netflix original series.

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I finished the season a couple days ago and damn this season was great. Kept really getting better and better. I hope this show stays around for a while. I am interested to see what they do with the next season.

I really have never been much of a Marc Maron fan but damn he is just fucking great this season. So many times you hate the character then you love the character. Just awesome.

Bash literally makes me laugh constantly. He is just so damn great. I really love his character.

airjoca

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Portugal
Finished last night. Awesome season, better than the first. Really liked the character development.

Everyone shines but Marc Maron is on another level.

Oct 31, 2017
Paris, France
Damn I love this show. It's not the kinda that hook you with it's story and settings but the cast and characters are so good and it's fill with good heart. Can't wait for Seasons 3.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry guys, I like GLOW, but I would give that emmy to Barry in a heartbeat.

gilko79

Oct 27, 2017
Ivalice
My favorite show on Netflix. Season 2 managed to surpass the already great first season. Excited to see how all the girls (and Sam and Bash)
change/develop in Vegas

Also, 100% agree that Marc Maron steals the show. Love every scene with him in it.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Does anyone know how accurate the events are to real life? I want to know if watching that GLOW documentary is going to "spoil" potential S3 developments.

Oct 28, 2017
Maron is entertaining but award winning? I never once thought it was that memorable. I guess my bar is set pretty high.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know how accurate the events are to real life? I want to know if watching that GLOW documentary is going to "spoil" potential S3 developments.
It's got nothing in common outside of the name and concept. The wrestling gimmicks are kinda based on the real GLOW characters but that's it.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lotus

To my great shame, I have not yet watched Atlanta beyond the first episode. Is it all available for streaming anywhere? That was my hurdle last time.

OP
OP
GK86

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it last night. Absolutely loved it from beginning to end. I thought it was a big step up from S1 (even though S1 was great). The last episode was perfect.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I loved everything with Sam and Justine this season. They feel so real as a family and they both put out some of the best acting performances in the show.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I loved everything with Sam and Justine this season. They feel so real as a family and they both put out some of the best acting performances in the show.

Yeah, even though I know it's unlikely I would be supremely bummed if a season 3 didn't have Justine in it. She's great and her dynamic with Sam is one of the best parts of his character/the show in general.

Salvor_Hardin

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
Absolutely loved this season. It improved on everything already good in the first season and fleshed out the characters while still staying true to the goal of the show. I wish more people were watching this.

Also, this is such a love letter to people who grew up with wrestling. I love where they're going with the show. I hope it keeps building from here and eventually gets to the point where it's covering the 90s attitude era with huge Raw is War stadiums and theatrics. I would die.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Absolutely loved this season. It improved on everything already good in the first season and fleshed out the characters while still staying true to the goal of the show. I wish more people were watching this.

Also, this is such a love letter to people who grew up with wrestling. I love where they're going with the show. I hope it keeps building from here and eventually gets to the point where it's covering the 90s attitude era with huge Raw is War stadiums and theatrics. I would die.

GLOW ended in 1990, I don't see any reason why this show would eventually reach the late 90s to cover an era it had nothing to do with. At most they'd introduce their Tina Ferrari analog next season but the show isn't going to follow her.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
General question regarding the finale (spoilered in case people haven't gotten there):

I was under the impression that most Vegas nightly acts we're just the same show performed over and over again. Doesn't that run counter to how wrestling builds storylines over time, or am I mistaken about how Vegas acts work?

Salvor_Hardin

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
GLOW ended in 1990, I don't see any reason why this show would eventually reach the late 90s to cover an era it had nothing to do with. At most they'd introduce their Tina Ferrari analog next season but the show isn't going to follow her.

The current show is loosely based off of the real show anyway. It's not like it's historically accurate in any sense. They might as well turn it into whatever they want to, right?

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
The current show is loosely based off of the real show anyway. It's not like it's historically accurate in any sense. They might as well turn it into whatever they want to, right?
It's loosely based and obviously not historically accurate to the original GLOW but it's still historically accurate in fitting in with the era it's set in.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Enjoyed the hell out of the show. Glad it got nominated.

People say some of the girls were underutilized, but I think everyone got some time to shine.

And it made me love Sheila even more.

ProfessorLobo

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I was really ready to hate this season, mostly due to Debbie. Was the audience supposed to sympathize with her in any way? I really, really just wanted her to go away. I think it's going to be hard for me to come back from that since Debbie and Ruth's relationship felt like it was meant to be the emotional heart of the show.

However towards the back half they kind of forgot about all that stuff and the show got better.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
I finished season 2. I liked it much more than season 1. Mostly because I saw much less of that geeky main character, and more of everyone else. ...Brie's derpiness just irriates me. I can't explain it.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
have to forgive me because the binge paradigm scrambles my memory ...

but did Bash ever have any kind of romance arc with Brittania? (forget her real name). just seemed waay left field for me, could understand if it he was like "yeah, fake marriage, fuck it". but the show treated it like some true feelings were coming out for her. i know he was funny in the head at the time because of 'birdie' dying and its going to end not so well but ... yeah drawing a blank on this one

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
have to forgive me because the binge paradigm scrambles my memory ...

but did Bash ever have any kind of romance arc with Brittania? (forget her real name). just seemed waay left field for me, could understand if it he was like "yeah, fake marriage, fuck it". but the show treated it like some true feelings were coming out for her. i know he was funny in the head at the time because of 'birdie' dying and its going to end not so well but ... yeah drawing a blank on this one

It is pretty much a fake marriage. The show is strongly hinting that Bash is a deeply closeted gay man.

Scythe

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Finished the newest season and I'm overwhelmed with joy. WHAT AN INCREDIBLE SEASON. I wasn't fully into it until Episode 4, but from there, everything layered on top of each other for the remaining episodes--
the contrasting character arcs (Sam/Bash, Debbie/Ruth, Tammé/Debbie), relationship building either platonic or romantic, the power complex usage (Debbie, Tom Grant)--was beautiful and compelling, I couldn't stop watching after hitting the halfway mark. My favorite scenes were definitely Tammé and Ernest (her son) after the match and hearing Ernest's reaction, when Justine was leaving from Sam's, and Ruth and Debbie's argument in the hospital, it was phenomenal and I was so damn invested with the character arcs this season that I wasn't expecting.

I'm betting they'll renew for the next season in early August. That's what happened with Season 2. One of the best shows to watch right now.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The season was really strong. The short episodes are a benefit but at the same time we get almost no time with many of the wrestlers. What's there is fantastic though, and the setup for the third season is tantalizing.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Since nobody else on the internet seemed to go for it, I made a did a thing:

giphy.gif