• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For those who need a refresher, after surviving a train wreck and making your way through a mineshaft and fighting through an antlion nest, Alyx and Gordon are fleeing with critical data for the resistance when Alyx is wounded by a hunter. The vortigaunt convene to save Alyx's life as gordon fights off a zombie infestation. This is one of the climaxes of the Half Life 2 story, and after a huge, and momentous series of battles, it's finally time for some rest. Alyx is safe, the Vortigaunt are rescuing her and healing her wounds, it feels like one of Half Life's patented down moments.

Then time stops.

DOOOOOOCCCCTOOOOORRR FREEEEEEEEEEEMAAAAAAAN

Prepare for unforeseen consequences

Goddamn I can't wait to see this dude again.

GenericBadGuy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad some of these threads may be picked up again. I did enjoy a lot of the sci-fi in the Half Life series, especially the G-Man and his incredible power but yet still somehow bureaucratic restrictions.

"The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world."

signal

Oct 28, 2017
"one of the hypest moments in gaming" is a bit much but G-Man talking is always nice.

Walnut

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Austin, TX
I had legitimately forgotten how much I like Half-Life with how long it's been since we've gotten one

Wumbo64

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One of the things that took me multiple attempts to understand about Half-Life is just how seamlessly it merges narrative and gameplay. The genius structure and use of subtle intrigue elevates the mundane areas you visit and simple tasks you perform. It took 3 attempts to make it past the opening and chases in the aqueducts in Half-Life 2 proper, but I am glad I pushed through it. When you make it to the end, it's place in the context of the journey just makes so much sense.

Extending that all the way to the events OP is describing, the presentation of it alone is brilliant. Then, if you have invested yourself in the ongoing narrative of the entire franchise up to that point through Half Life 1, Half Life 2, and the episodes... it just creates an emotional crescendo that is so rewarding and again... intriguing. G-Man, with his bizarre mannerisms and mysterious background... just perfectly contrasts the urgency of the main plots that he interrupts at his leisure.

He is one of gaming's greatest antagonists.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One of the things that took me multiple attempts to understand about Half-Life is just how seamlessly it merges narrative and gameplay. The genius structure and use of subtle intrigue elevates the mundane areas you visit and simple tasks you perform. It took 3 attempts to make it past the opening and chases in the aqueducts in Half-Life 2 proper, but I am glad I pushed through it. When you make it to the end, it's place in the context of the journey just makes so much sense.

Extending that all the way to the events OP is describing, the presentation of it alone is brilliant. Then, if you have invested yourself in the ongoing narrative of the entire franchise up to that point through Half Life 1, Half Life 2, and the episodes... it just creates an emotional crescendo that is so rewarding and again... intriguing. G-Man, with his bizarre mannerisms and mysterious background... just perfectly contrasts the urgency of the main plots that he interrupts at his leisure.

He is one of gaming's greatest antagonists.

When alyx actually repeats the words to Eli, it becomes one of the best remote taunts ever. She doesn't even know what she just said to him, but Eli understands loud and clear.

Wumbo64

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When alyx actually repeats the words to Eli, it becomes one of the best remote taunts ever. She doesn't even know what she just said to him, but Eli understands loud and clear.

Yep. It's simple and effective, but brilliant storytelling. It's almost hard to verbalize a lot of the devices they use to convey emotion and make many moments like the heart-to-heart note only resonate throughout a localized scene, but also the entire narrative. It's the reason I may just fork over a thousand dollars to get a Vive and experience Half-Life Alyx on it's optimal platform. If they can make me feel those kinds of butterflies again, let alone with the added immersive layer of a headset...it's honestly probably worth it.

Likewise, Half-Life 3 if it ever happens is something I don't even expect to really push the needle forward much on the narrative. Similiar to Shenmue 3, there is definitely an odyssey type design to this story. And the thing that makes it a special franchise isn't just the novelty of the moment-to-moment gameplay, it's how it is such a sum of it's parts. Half-Life 3 would be a mere step on the journey, but it would be such a satisfying step...

Wumbo64

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, mistakenly quoted myself. Not sure if you can delete your own messages.

But yeah, it's good stuff lol