• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Go Vacation is a bit of a messy game overall. For those who aren't aware of it, it's a game in the vein of Wii Sports Resort, but with a lot more sports available. It was seen on release by some as shovelware and it does suffer from very annoying music as well as quantity over quality when it comes to a good number of its activities. It was originally a Wii game but was ported to Switch in 2018.

The game's saving grace, and the thing that has kept me coming back to the game more regularly than I thought I would, is its open world resorts - there are four world hubs which house different activities for you to try but the area you have for to wander around is actually quite wide, open and there's some interesting topology on display, and it allows players to traverse it via a number of transportation methods (rollerskates, off-road truck, jetski, horse and others). Its origins as a Wii game are on show here as the environment are definitely of that era but it's still decent enough that I've been able to just boot up the game and enjoy exploring each area.

c13f330b-8e6f-4915-8699-3e0bfd635525.jpg

2018072020373900-F64836112794B38AB195F3CAD1E2E9E6.jpg

If the Wii Sports series ever manages to make a come back (and I seriously hope it does), it would be a great move to incorporate an explorable world into the game and with a bigger budget behind things it could end up looking really nice. I know things aren't super easy for lower budget games and things aren't as simple as 'add open world', but I really do feel that some kind of world building, no matter how minor, in these mini-game/sport compilations can do wonders to make players want to stay there a bit longer. I also just really like games where you can explore a setting with no worries about combat or conflict, so the more of those the better.

Last edited:

AxkilAvenger

Banned
Apr 8, 2018
Didn't this get ready released on WiiU? Anyway had a bit of fun with it on Wii. I liked a few of the mini games like the jet ski levels and the water gun fights were pretty cool. This game would've benefited so much more with a good story. Everything felt so shallow. I still think it deserves a sequel with online

knight714

Oct 27, 2017
I had to cancel my trip to Japan because of the pandemic and one thing I loved was this free game on steam where you can walk around a faithful recreation of Kyoto's Fushimi Inari

It looks fantastic and it's so peaceful. The same dev has some other similar games for Iceland and New Zealand. Shame I don't have a VR headset for them.

Recreations of real places is definitely something I'd like to see a lot more of

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
There's Wanderlust which is basically a GN adventure game based on real travel memoirs:

store.steampowered.com

Wanderlust: Travel Stories on Steam

Wanderlust: Travel Stories is a bridge between literature and gaming. Step into the shoes of modern travelers—explore their desires, hopes and fears, and shape how their stories unfold. Make this journey your own.

And there's Eastshade, which is a beautiful FP adventure game with a cool painting mechanic:

store.steampowered.com

Eastshade on Steam

You are a traveling painter, exploring the island of Eastshade. Capture the world on canvas using your artist’s easel. Talk to the inhabitants to learn about their lives. Make friends and help those in need. Visit cities, scale summits, unearth mysteries, and discover forgotten places!

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
My little sister spend like 90% of the time just walking in the horse with her golden retriever

OP
OP

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
It didn't...? It had a 64% average on Metacritic (so mediocre but definitely not trash-tier) and a 8.3 user score.

Also, the game sold pretty well. It did 400k in Japan alone.
I'm talking anecdotally here and I personally don't think it was, but most impressions I saw of the game at release from people I knew or internet comments were that it looked like shovelware.

If it was better received than I remember it being then that's great to hear.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
I don't think it ever was considered as shovelware. It was a Bandai Namco game, fairly ambitious for a Wii Sport clone (you said it, 4 worlds to fully explore), and even if the sports' gameplay was meh because there's like 50 sports or something, at least it wasn't just a compilation. There was the huge world to connect everything together. It was seen as mediocre/alright by most, but not shovelware, especially considering what Wii actually got in term of shovelware.
Heck, in America and Europe, Nintendo published the Switch port. They wouldn't have done it if it had the reputation of a shovelware.

Vorpal

Nov 4, 2017
I don't really remember this getting thrown into the shovelware pile either. Go Vacation came out towards the end of the Wii's lifespan, kind of by the time most people had moved on from the system, at least in the West. The big glut of shovelware that hit the system was much earlier, like 2008 and 2009.

To get back on topic though, yes, the open world that the game offered was very impressive. I think it elevated the way you felt about the games too. Instead of just feeling like a random mishmash of mini games, the integration/placement almost made them feel like rewards for exploring. I think NintendoLand would have actually benefited from something like that.

On that note, I'd like to see Namco try and do something like this again, though maybe with fewer more high quality games. Between this and We Ski and Snowboard, someone over there knows (or knew) how to make a fun and small open world.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I'm talking anecdotally here and I personally don't think it was, but most impressions I saw of the game at release from people I knew or internet comments were that it looked like shovelware.

If it was better received than I remember it being then that's great to hear.

The biggest problem with the shovelware idea is that for you to unlock the minigames you have to play a VERY simple version of it so most people was like "that was it? a shake fest of a volley that i can't even control the character positioning ?" ...except the unlocked version of those minigames were very complex. Hell the diving one was basically Endless Ocean with small area and the watergun battle was a very fun 3rd person shooter xD

...and it was THE GAME THAT HAD MOTION PLUS LIGHTSABER BATTLE