• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 26156

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
ucwkuAd.png
Developer: BANDAI NAMCO Studios Inc.
Publisher: Nintendo
Release Date: July 27th, 2018 (NA/PAL/JP)
Price: $49.99/£34.99/€49.99/¥7,789
Genre: Open-World Minigame Collection

Multiplayer: Up to 4 players, either on 1 Switch or multiple through Local Wireless play in both minigames and free roam; NO ONLINE PLAY
Compatible Controllers: Sideways Joy-Con, Dual Joy-Cons, and Pro Controller while in docked/tabletop mode; In multiplayer, all players must use Sideway JC or Dual JC/Pro Controller, No mix-and-match
HD Rumble: Yes
Languages: English, Spanish, French, Japanese, Simplified Chinese
File Size: 8.8GB

Official Site

FHfwZWi.png

At first glace, Go Vacation may seem like a simple minigame collection trying to ride off the success of Wii Sports Resort. That's true, but the real highlight of the game are the four resorts you can explore to find the 50+ activities and abundant secrets this game has to offer.

hXPUdvU.png

Surfing, Sky Diving, and Scuba Diving make this resort a tropical paradise for fans of watersports. You can frolic on the beach, then search for the ancient Mystic Jungle and a secret activity.
Some of the activities found here include:
  • Surfboarding
  • Waterskiing
  • ATV Races
  • Water Gun Fights
  • Scuba Diving
  • Skydiving
  • Plus free use of ATVs and marine bikes
zDipi8K.png

Zip through this multi-level resort on inline skates or a skateboard to find activities like Table Hockey, Mini Golf, and Street Racing. You can grind on rails throughout the city to spot secrets on the tops of buildings.

The best resort includes some of these activities:
  • Skateboarding
  • Inline Skating
  • Street Racing
  • Carnival Games
  • Minigolf
  • Air Hockey
  • Plus free use of skateboards and rollerskates
FavFYMy.png

Snowball Fights, Snow Tricks, and Dog Sledding are just a few of the activities you can play on this giant snowy mountain. There are hidden pathways and caverns to discover, too.
This cool place has some activities like:
  • Snowboarding
  • Skiing
  • Snow Tubing
  • Dog Sledding
  • Snowball Fights
  • Snowmobile Races
  • Plus free use of snowboards, skis, snow tubes, and snowmobiles
5WmOxQr.png

Outdoor activities like Tennis, Horseback Riding, and Kayaking take you all over this beautiful resort. There's a lake to explore and royal secrets to uncover at the castle on the lake.
Although the mountainside river is the best part of this resort, it also has activities like:
  • Horseback Riding
  • Rafting
  • Kayaking
  • Off-Road Races
  • Tennis
  • Plus free use of horses, kayaks, and off-road cars
5Gjn0TI.png

Once you complete enough activities in all four of the resorts, you unlock your villa, a place where you can make your own house Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer-style. You also get to choose your own dog to travel along with you!

fz0SiJa.png

If you didn't know already, Go Vacation is a remaster of a 2011 Wii game. Not only did they (kinda) spruce up the visuals and implement HD Rumble, they also added some new activities and features not present in the original game.

• New fishing spots were added to the Marine and Mountain Resorts, allowing you to fish for over 30 different types of fish.
  • Friends (seemingly online?) can have their characters show up within the world, allowing you to challenge their best times in minigames.
  • New photograph spots in all four resorts allow you to take pictures of animals in their natural habitats. There's over 160 animals to view across the four resorts.
  • Planes can airdrop crates full of rewards onto various parts of the island.
  • New daily challenges appear on each island in sets of three, which can help you unlock clothing and different breeds of dogs.
  • Button controls are now available alongside the existing waggle controls.

xf2CifD.png

Announcement Trailer

Overview Trailer

Screenshots

K64nDTf.png

Metacritic: 66

Nintendo World Report — 7/10
Go Vacation has remained the fun experience that it was ages ago. Naturally, it hasn't aged well from a graphical perspective, but it does a lot of good in its totality.

Nintendo Life — 6/10
Go Vacation presents a world full of games and activities that feel consistently average, with common flaws across the board making each game similarly dull, tiresome, and not worth the asking price. The game's setting itself provides a welcome break from this, though, with an impressive amount of things to see and do at your own leisure injecting a much-needed dose of fun into the proceedings. Strangely, this is a multiplayer sports game that probably suits those looking for decent single-player exploration the most.

My Nintendo News — 5/10
While the staggering amount of things to do may be appreciated by some, it's another example that demonstrates how quantity shouldn't always be a priority over quality.

Tired Old Hack — Unscored
On the Wii, Go Vacation was trying to enter homes that most likely already had at least two sporting mini-game titles in their library. What we have now on the Switch is a situation where there's no Wii Sports, no Wii Sports Resort and nothing else decent that's really like them. In this day and age, Go Vacation stands alone as the sole option for anyone who fancies dipping back into the Wii days. And those who do will be more than happy with what they find.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42221

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
I remember wanting to play this game a lot back when I was in the Wii era. It looked like Wii Sports Resort up to 11 - an open world minigame.

I wonder how the Switch port will be - I heard mixed things about this game's controls on the Wii.

OP
OP

Deleted member 26156

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I wonder how the Switch port will be - I heard mixed things about this game's controls on the Wii.
The game's controls were pretty bad on the Wii. Way too many actions were mapped to shaking the Wiimote. I'd like to think they changed it for the port, considering handheld mode, but I after searching everywhere, I can't find any information about the controls.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
yay ! =D
I even did a video with the wii version in the youtube cannel I have with some friends (warning : brazilian language) showing some small open world coop, offroad ATV racing, Lightsaber Battles and Watergun Battle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DPnVeZNNVM

Which reminds me, I would love to see impressions on how is the pointer replacement for the switch version which is very needed in activities like the watergun battle....

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Normally I would write this off as obvious shovelware but I've seen a weird amount of hype for this. No chance I'd pay $50 for it but I'll be interested to see reviews.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
No online play sucks, but it's not really something I'd probably play online anyway. The option would still be welcome, though.
I'll pick this up when it's $20.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
The fun idea of exploring the island where the games take place alongside my love for winter AND water sports probably means I'll buy this one regardless if not all the sports are all that GREAT and fine-tuned. Always wanted it for the Wii but it was retired at that point.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It's a glorified port of a mini game collection from the Wii, I'd hope anyone asking if there is online play is being sarcastic

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Normally I would write this off as obvious shovelware but I've seen a weird amount of hype for this. No chance I'd pay $50 for it but I'll be interested to see reviews.
You can watch game grumps play it and they somehow fell inlove with it.
Peanutbuttergamer also said it was one of his favorite wii games, thats how I heard about this game and realized it was well liked.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017

Golden-plated shovelware, perhaps--Namco put a lot of people and a crazy amount of money onto this game and it has a ton of impressive bullet-point features but ultimately, none of the sports are especially fun. It's definitely one of the better games of its type but people hype it up due to its ambitious nature and not because it's on the same tier as something like Wii Sports.

Crow Pudding

Nov 12, 2017
I will double dip, it's a fun and relaxing game, perfect for summer, but man, they really did a laaaazy port...

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Do we know yet if multiplayer can utilize more than just sideways joy-cons? Have only seen these used in videos and mentioned in previews/advertisements so starting to wonder if pro controllers and 2 joy-con configs are not supported for more than 1p for some reason...

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
The Wii version was a bit over ambitious, but if this has a better frame rate and options to use traditional control schemes instead of motion control garbage, well, that would address all my problems with the original.

OP
OP

Deleted member 26156

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Awesome Thread title! And OP!

Pretty sure it was listed as playable online on the eshop at some point so the question isn't unreasonable.
Thanks! I believe the online components has to do with friend's Miis appearing acrossing the island as CPUs. It's kinda hard to gather specifics when there's go gameplay or impressions out for the Switch game.

Do we know yet if multiplayer can utilize more than just sideways joy-cons? Have only seen these used in videos and mentioned in previews/advertisements so starting to wonder if pro controllers and 2 joy-con configs are not supported for more than 1p for some reason...
Just like most Switch games, you can use Dual Joy-Cons or the Pro Controller in multiplayer.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Scouting the YouTube Daily for videos!

I found this in Japanese (game starts 07:00):

If someone fluent could translate 9:30, that might help us find the control methods.

Going by 11:55, it looks like there is:

• Solo-Player
  • 2 Joycon Multiplayer for up to 4 people (with Pro Controller Support)
  • Single Joycon Multiplayer
  • Handheld (wireless with other players).
So you can't mix and match Single and Multi-Joycons.

I love the amount of heights and weight you can give to your player.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really excited for this. I didn't play it on the Wii and I miss Wii Sports Resort. I hope this game is good, especially in multiplayer.

Cohesivestraw

Oct 29, 2017
Is the coop just for the mini games? Can you free roam and explore together? I think my kids will love this. They love nintendo land.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Is the coop just for the mini games? Can you free roam and explore together? I think my kids will love this. They love nintendo land.

You can freeroam each of the 4 Resort Areas together I believe.

The problem is that I can't decide between this game and Captain Toad. I've never finished Captain Toad on WiiU (probably 30-40%) and that was years ago so it would feel like a fresh experience.

Found this:https://sagamer.co.za/review-go-vacation-switch

6.5/10

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

Napalmjam

Oct 25, 2017
I forgot I had a pre order for this and it arrived at my door yesterday... Wish I remembered to cancel it as its a very poor collection of shallow minigames .

emphyrian

May 17, 2018
Ctrl-F "Bowling"
:(

This does look great, I just really want a bowling game on Switch. Looking forward to getting it.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think anyone's happy about the price here.

But the game is still appealing and principles may have to give way, because even if the individual events aren't all that deep, they're fun arcade distractions tied together by charming exploration.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
I hope this is relatively easy for a 4.5 year old to get in to. I'd love to find some simple games to play.

May keep an eye out for a let's play co-op of this when it is out.