• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Was being discussed in the Wimbledon OT:

http://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/...rel-wimbledon-opener-ending-apparel-deal-nike

The 36-year-old great walked out for his opening-round match at Wimbledon on Monday morning wearing a headband, jacket, shirt and socks from the Japanese brand Uniqlo. Federer, who had been wearing Nike since 1994, was still wearing Nike shoes.

Sources say the deal is worth more than $300 million guaranteed over 10 years and has an unprecedented clause that says that Federer will collect the money even if he doesn't play.

To put Federer's $300 million Uniqlo deal in perspective, his career on-court earnings are $116.6 million.

https%3A%2F%2Fhypebeast.com%2Fimage%2F2018%2F07%2Funiqlo-roger-federer-global-brand-ambassador-1.jpg

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I read that Mirka designed that RF symbol. Don't know if it true, but if so wonder how she feels.

Oct 25, 2017
maybe we'll get some Fed apparel I can actually afford, some of those nike prices were insane for the on-court stuff

Oct 27, 2017
Sources say the deal is worth more than $300 million guaranteed over 10 years and has an unprecedented clause that says that Federer will collect the money even if he doesn't play.

I'd sign the deal and never play again. This is one of many, many reasons that I'm not an elite level athlete.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
UNI QLO is a funny brand name to Chileans, lol.

Last edited:

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
I love Uniqlo's stuff, this is great!
300 million even if he doesn't play is an insane deal, the true goat athlete

hordak

Oct 31, 2017
Anaheim, CA
so he could retire but he has to walk around in their clothes and stuff, i imagine.

also how do you make $120 million in tennis???? that's $6 million a year. in tennis.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Always loved Federer's Nike getups, so this feels a little weird. Still, I wear like 80% Uniqlo in my day to day life. Absolutely love its comfort, simplicity, no bullshit-look, price etc. and this Wimbledon design is pretty great. It's hard to fuck up the all-white Wimbledon look though, so we'll have to wait and see if Feds still looks fresh in the coming tournaments.

UNI QLO is a funny brand name for a Chilean, lol.

Did I miss out on the in-joke here?

Last edited:

motherless

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Always loved Federer's Nike getups, so this feels a little weird. Still, I wear like 80% Uniqlo in my day to day life. Absolutely love its comfort, simplicity, no bullshit-look, price etc. and this Wimbledon design is pretty great. It's hard to fuck up the all-white Wimbledon look though, so we'll have to wait and see if Feds still looks fresh in the coming tournaments.

I would love if marketing used your Slogan "uniqulo... no bullshit-look"

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
so he could retire but he has to walk around in their clothes and stuff, i imagine.

also how do you make $120 million in tennis???? that's $6 million a year. in tennis.

because tennis is huge? he won most of his tournaments before the explosion of tournament prize money, if he was 10 years younger he would've made 200 million easily.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
We're seeing people play on in lots of sports at high levels for longer now but this deal seems to be pushing it, they'll be lucky if he's playing in 5 years let alone 10.

Mr. Sam

Oct 26, 2017
Not to sound too much like a salesman but Uniqlo make decent exercise clothes for a fraction of the price of Adidas and Nike. I'd say my Adidas and Nike stuff is marginally better, but for the price...

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know anything about Tennis but I do love Uniqlo and I'm up for anything that causes it to continue to grow and eventually open a store in Houston.

Oct 28, 2017

It's probably safe to say that he is the most successful male tennis player of all time. I'm surprised it's that low although I guess prize money has exploded over the past few years.

Tennis is still enormous outside the United States.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, if you're not Chilean, of course.

Wait, lemme fix that. I just noticed.

Oct 25, 2017
I like Uniqlo, but their workout/technical clothes suck. They need to work on that in addition to spending on sponsorships.

Nike has way better performance apparel.