• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Firmament1

Aug 15, 2019
Please don't just read the headline, and then rush down to the comments talking about whatever you didn't like about the game. Just actually read the whole thing, and between the lines.

Here

I've been meaning to show everyone this post for quite some time. Nice write-up on why God of War 1 is better than you think.

I personally think OG God of War's combat is great, because it basically allows for any form of of play. You want to just keep rolling like it's Bloodborne, and play in the most boring way possible (Not that Bloodborne is boring)? Go ahead. Or perhaps you want to try and find ways to make DMC-lite combos on a big variety of enemies like these lads? That's possible too. Maybe some challenge runs like No Upgrades, or No Magic, or whatever? That can be done in any game, but that's completely possible here. Or... You want to play it the way it was meant to be played by using grab loops, battering rams, and ring-outs, to wipe out enemies as quickly as you can almost like a certain other action game featuring a Ninja hacking people in two (There actually is quite a bit of tech in God of War 1, I can post it if you want)? Of course you can.

Last edited:

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I love OG God of war as much as the next guy but no.

Have you forgot about the platforming levels in the hades?

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
It's pretty damn good, but i always thought NGB & DMC3 were the better games around 2005.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
its a good game but NO.

the platforming sections are probably the worst part, and the entire area of chronos's back takes up like 70% of the entire game and becomes a bit too samey after a while

OP
OP
Firmament1

Firmament1

Aug 15, 2019
I love OG God of war as much as the next guy but no.

Have you forgot about the platforming levels in the hades?
pretty good video game, far from perfect. DMC 3 is way better combat wise.
its a good game but NO.

the platforming sections are probably the worst part, and the entire area of chronos's back takes up like 70% of the entire game and becomes a bit too samey after a while
There's like 4 boss fights

> It's with all these elements that God of War could be considered a perfect game, being accessible to all audiences. It has pleasing visuals and easy to understand combat, while offering a deeper set of mechanics and higher difficulties for fans of the genre to explore.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
> It's with all these elements that God of War could be considered a perfect game, being accessible to all audiences. It has pleasing visuals and easy to understand combat, while offering a deeper set of mechanics and higher difficulties for fans of the genre to explore.

Man, what r u even smoking...lmao.

But u do u, op.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I played it when it came out, got halfway through ... didnt really like it. Played it from the beginning last year ... and beat it, along with 2 and 3 in preparation for the "reboot" and I can say I thoroughly disliked it. Comparisons to its contemporaries like DMC or Ninja Gaiden dont do it any favors either.

OP
OP
Firmament1

Firmament1

Aug 15, 2019
Man, what r u even smoking...lmao.

But u do u, op.
I'd like to ask what's wrong with what I said?

I played it when it came out, got halfway through ... didnt really like it. Played it from the beginning last year ... and beat it, along with 2 and 3 in preparation for the "reboot" and I can say I thoroughly disliked it. Comparisons to its contemporaries like DMC or Ninja Gaiden dont do it any favors either.
Could you elaborate?

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
The closest to a perfect game we've got according to my tastes is The Burning Crusade :)

darkslayer101

Oct 25, 2017
yea the game is quite the slog in endgame and when comparing it to something like DMC3... yeaaaaa

Not to mention god of war 2 imo is a superior game

DrScissorsMD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 19, 2019
There will never be one "perfect game" as no one game can perfectly cover all genres so you'll never please anyone. But even in its chosen genre, nah, GoW is not it.

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
I know GoW 1 is well liked, but I still think it was an underated game. It does so many amazing things. It defined "epic" for video games, imo.

2 >>>

This is just terrible

I'll never get why people have problems with this part. I've beaten the game 5 or 6 time and I have never had any problems with those spikes, I don't think they ever hit me.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
There really is no deeper set of mechanics. When I played it at release I was shocked that simply blocking and counter-attacking was effective against the vast majority of enemies on the highest difficulty.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Ignoring new GoW:

GoW2>>>>>

But:

NGB>>>>>>>>any GoW

As people have said, the platforming sections were a bit meh

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
A boring slog I couldn't even finish. The puzzles were especially terrible, that kind of crap should be banned from action games.

Jan 11, 2018
Loved it, still my favorite in the series. Atmosphere was just perfect, and it had a good story as well, and the combat was buttery smooth, even though it was slightly basic. The only thing lacking was the boss fights... But sadly they ran out of time.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2 >>>

This is just terrible

Came here to say this. I was having an excellent time with the game, but that shit was just terrible and it killed all the excitement I had for the game in the final hour or so, as my awe at the final boss sequence was greatly diminished by the frustration I witnessed shortly before that.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
To be honest, the game lost me on the ship with the sex mini game. I rolled my eyes immediately.

Also, the art direction in that game is absolute trash.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
It's a fantastic game, but I wouldn't call it perfect. It's let down by things that can be forgiven for a first time outing, the sparse boss fights, bad platforming section, and enemy variety. However I'll always respect the overall structure of that game and how well it came together in the end, it really felt like a tightly packed adventure.

God of War 2 though, I could see that being in the running. I put that up there with the action genre greats, and it's easily the best in the GoW series.

OP
OP
Firmament1

Firmament1

Aug 15, 2019
There really is no deeper set of mechanics. When I played it at release I was shocked that simply blocking and counter-attacking was effective against the vast majority of enemies on the highest difficulty.
It's like doing this in Ninja Gaiden 2, and then claiming that the combat is shallow. And likewise, you can just use PKP and dodge to get by in Bayonetta. Just because you decided not to dig deep into the set of mechanics doesn't mean that they're not there. Don't blame the game for what you chose to do.

But I'll be the first to admit that God of War does have the problem of it being far too possible for players to optimize the fun out of it.

Aug 16, 2019
UK
Are we talking about the one combo game? No fam, not even close.

I would say your profile picture is more a perfect videogame

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I returned to this after the (excellent) reboot and it's a hard no for me

Not because of combat or anything like that, but the design of some of its platforming puzzles and obstacles feels very unfair and wasteful of your time

Like that hill where you push a block up while infinitely respawning mobs interrupt you and force you to start again. Maybe this was supposed to be a Sisyphean thing but the game is full of this kind of stupid bullshit

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
It's like doing this in Ninja Gaiden 2, and then claiming that the combat is shallow. And likewise, you can just use PKP and dodge to get by in Bayonetta. Just because you decided not to dig deep into the set of mechanics doesn't mean that they're not there. Don't blame the game for what you chose to do.

But I'll be the first to admit that God of War does have the problem of it being far too possible for players to optimize the fun out of it.
you're free to do those but they're still more difficult and punishing than gow's literal blocking and counter-attacking of almost every encounter. this wasn't a means of looking to cheese it, it's just very basic, integral play.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017

That's my main problem with the game. Hades is bad, sure, but you spend so much time on the temple on Cronos's back.

2 is one of those games that solves basically every single problem with the original, that it's impossible for me to view the original as the best.

OP
OP
Firmament1

Firmament1

Aug 15, 2019
I returned to this after the (excellent) reboot and it's a hard no for me

Not because of combat or anything like that, but the design of some of its platforming puzzles and obstacles feels very unfair and wasteful of your time

Like that hill where you push a block up while infinitely respawning mobs interrupt you and force you to start again. Maybe this was supposed to be a Sisyphean thing but the game is full of this kind of stupid bullshit
The guy isn't saying it's literally perfect in every way. He literally discusses things that aren't good about it. His point is that it could be considered a perfect game at the time, because of how it was able to please everyone, from enthusiasts, to those that just mashed. Think about it: DMC 3 and Ninja Gaiden Black aren't exactly easy to learn titles. Whereas God of War was much simpler, and thus, could introduce action games to a much wider audience.

And the writeup came out before DMC 5 was a thing, so keep that in mind.

you're free to do those but they're still more difficult and punishing than gow's literal blocking and counter-attacking of almost every encounter. this wasn't a means of looking to cheese it, it's just very basic, integral play.
Perhaps, but that doesn't mean that deeper mechanics aren't there. That just means that you optimized the fun out of the game.

And as I said, in Bayonetta, you can just continuously use PKP over and over again, and then dodge at the slightest movement that an enemy makes, and you can still get by perfectly fine. This is literally just basic play.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
The guy isn't saying it's literally perfect in every way. He literally discusses things that aren't good about it. His point is that it could be considered a perfect game at the time, because of how it was able to please everyone, from enthusiasts, to those that just mashed. Think about it: DMC 3 and Ninja Gaiden Black aren't exactly easy to learn titles. Whereas God of War was much simpler, and thus, could introduce action games to a much wider audience.

And the writeup came out before DMC 5 was a thing, so keep that in mind.
Well I wouldn't even call dmc5 a perfect game, it has massive issues. A great combat system in a sort of not great game. But I just find GoW1 to be one of those games that wastes far too much of the player's time with terribly designed puzzles and obstacles

Anyway, yeah, I'm mainly responding to the thesis statement here. If were talking about well balanced and accessible action titles then DmC is much better.

OP
OP
Firmament1

Firmament1

Aug 15, 2019
Well I wouldn't even call dmc5 a perfect game, it has massive issues. A great combat system in a sort of not great game. But I just find GoW1 to be one of those games that wastes far too much of the player's time with terribly designed puzzles and obstacles

Anyway, yeah, I'm mainly responding to the thesis statement here. If were talking about well balanced and accessible action titles then DmC is much better.
DmC is a perfectly good action game, I agree there. But God of War 1 has a much higher skill ceiling than people give it credit for.

But because of the way the style system and movement work, it's too easy.

Both OG God of War and DmC: Devil May Cry are my recommendations for easy-to-learn action games, if games like Ninja Gaiden and DMC3 are too difficult.

Last edited:

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
It was a great game and the start of one of my favorite franchises for sure.
It is also telling how it's designed compared to modern games,there are so many sequences that would not even be considered today due to how games are so diluted.....the spiked floor block push that required perfect timing,the infamous rotating blades(that really aren't that bad),the block push up the conveyor and lots more.
GOW 2 was even better though,Barlog knows how to do a great adventure.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

what-ptsd-flashback-like-healthyplace.jpg